A Positive: Bloodline Champions

By John Walker on December 13th, 2010 at 8:21 pm.

I don't care that he's not one of the new ones - LOOK AT HIM.

Sure, you remember the time last month when Quintin posted videos of Bloodline Champions, the DOTA-inspired arena multiplayer thingy. There was a profile of the Astronomer, Nomad and Thorn. And you thought you were satisfied. But now let me tell you there’s a profile of the Blood Priest, Guardian and the Stalker. It’s like finding out about the latest gadget – you didn’t know you needed it until you found out about it. But I’m not the sort to leave you hanging. I am the sort to write any old shit to fill this gap at the top. But not to leave you hanging. So click on below and you can watch it with your left, right, or even both eyes.

The fourth and final new character type, the Seeker, will be revealed tomorrow, with the game’s beta starting on Wednesday for those who pre-order. You can find out about all that business on their site.

So here’s today’s announcement, the Blood Priest:

And a few days ago there was the Stalker:

And at some point recently there was the Guardian:

That brings the total of bloodlines up to seven million and sixty-three, with nine hundred billion or so more to be revealed next week. Good grief, I don’t know. Their own website doesn’t flipping know.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Gotem says:

so how long until we have a ‘blazing eyes’ tag?

2. Doesntmeananything says:

Ha, the guy’s face at the top reminds me of [RANDOM FAMOUS HATED POLITICIAN]!

*audience laughs*

3. lethu says:

I know mama told me so many times not to poop on food, games and stuff like that, but can I make an exception of this game ? Plus I can see the FunCom label on it, this excites my buttocks even more…

• ScubaMonster says:

Funcom; the seal of failure! After the AoC disaster, I really don’t get why everybody is getting excited about the Secret World. Wow, another mmo that will crash and burn because of a terrible launch, and then Funcom will announce their next mmo after 6 months, without even really trying to fix their current one.

• lethu says:

Don’t even get me started on AoC…

• fuggles says:

How dare you?! The Longest Journey and Dreamfall were great!

• ScubaMonster says:

Honestly, when Funcom announced the Secret World when AoC was in a terrible state it felt like a slap right in my face. It was like they already gave up and decided to throw AoC down the toilet and start over with a new one.

• Wulf says:

And really, I’d prefer Age of Conan. The problem with The Secret World is that everything I’ve seen of it is steeped heavily in hell & heaven tones, it’s almost worse than Evangelion. Almost. Enough with the bloody religious black & white morality in games already! Did organised religion brainwash most game developers when I wasn’t looking or something?

The sad part is is that things seem to be getting more and more simple in this regard, not less. Cartoons from younger years had more grey areas to them than the vast majority of entertainment nowadays. A great example of this is Mendoza from Mysterious Cities of Gold; a man who wasn’t clearly good or evil, he was simply driven by his own motivations. Old cartoons were doing shades of grey better!

But yes, The Secret World is looking very much like goody-goody people from heaven take on the nasties from hell, and that’s that. You’re a goody-goody who’s representing heaven. Personally I’d like to play a visually intimidating/sickening beast whose motivations could be seen as either good or evil, sometimes even both at the same time, quite confusingly. But noap. Average humans representing heaven versus the denizens of hell, protecting the world from teh evilz. Yawn.

This is actually one of the reasons I like the Charr from Guild Wars 2. They’ve been exploding brains, especially more limited minds on the GW2 forums, because people can’t understand that they’re not ‘evil’. They were brainwashed and enslaved by the Charr equivalent of a religious cult (the Flame Legion), at the time of Guild Wars 1, and anyone who tried to fight that was killed. But now in Guild Wars 2, we’re seeing a different side to the Charr, people are thinking that the Charr have been retconned, rather than, you know, that there were always many sides to the Charr and that you can’t judge a race on how they behaved when enslaved by a religious cult, living in fear and all that.

This is kind of why I’m into Guild Wars 2. GW2, at least, will have a few races that don’t fall into base morality (the Charr and the Asura). Age of Conan at least wasn’t about black & white morality, either. I wasn’t interested in playing it because of the PvP, I don’t do so well in MMORPG PvP you see, so I didn’t want to get involved in that, but I can respect Age of Conan for what it was trying to do, which was–generally speaking–more interesting than the majority.

And on the topic of the Longest Journey, I actually really liked that game. The more you dug, the more you found out how incredibly unethical the dragons were, despite portraying themselves as glowing white goody-goodies. This is why I was sort of expecting to have to deal with the dragons at the end of the Longest Journey, but that didn’t come up. I’m hoping that this will come at some point in series, since the story always strongly hinted at them being more jealous of how humanity wielded their power creatively, rather than protective, they created the balance out of envy, not a desire to preserve.

That’s what I was hoping Dreamfall was about, the fall of the balance. World of infinite novelty and all that. But I suppose I’m just a grizzled old Morrisonite.

4. me says:

So let me get this straight, you get extra units when you buy a more expensive edition? And you get more options to play PvP, i.e., 5v5 and 8v8??!

This trend with offering a little extra while charging enormous amounts (relatively for the content) really starts to worry me, especially because I like to know I get to fully experience a game..

• bjohndick says:

Good luck with that – I imagine you types of people who like to “Fully experience” games are exactly the type who are going to be exploited constantly by paid-for DLC for the forseeable future.

• a says:

The expensive one is collector’s edition. You can get all content except for skins (useless) for 40$, 40€ or 25₤ (depending on your location).

5. PleasingFungus says:

Get out of here, stalker!

6. ScubaMonster says:

I tried beta and didn’t find it that amazing, but that’s probably because I don’t like DotA at all.

• Bilbaeno says:

I really enjoyed DotA (though I was terrible at it) and League of Legends. But this game was just not the same.

I guess it’s good that they tried something new. The combat system is somewhat unique from the others. The movement and character builds are much different as well. Unfortunately none of these deviations from the standard DotA-like are actually improvements.

• DrGonzo says:

I actually really liked the movement and the fact that you have to aim all your spells. But I would have liked that, but with the towers and minions from Dota and LoL.

7. Choca says:

I played this, found it boring honestly

8. Nick says:

It looks pretty awful.

9. TotalBiscuit says:

Game is goddamn incredible, but unsurprisingly not attractive to those who are not interested in competitive, high-skill team-play

• DrGonzo says:

I don’t think its that. I just found everything about the game incredibly bland.

• Longrat says:

You could call it high skill, I call it a clusterfuck. It’s very hard to tell heroes apart and the skills are too subtle to notice for the most part. Sure it’s tailor made for tourneys, but that doesn’t make it a good game. It’s even harder to get into than DOTAlikes, and that’s one helluvan achievement.

• Polysynchronicity says:

I like teamplay, but I’m really not sure how much of a factor it is in a short-form, arena-style game like this. I’d probably enjoy playing a few rounds of it, but I don’t think I’d enjoy it enough to be worth the price tag.

• TotalBiscuit says:

It’s not even remotely hard to tell heroes appart, it’s not a clusterfuck at all, nor is it bland. But hey, as I said, it’s a competitive niche game that people who aren’t into that hate. *shrug*. It doesn’t need to be casual-friendly to be a success.

• Pamplemousse says:

You could call it a clusterfuck, I call it high skill gameplay.

10. Longrat says:

It’s essentially dota, only with WoW style gameplay.
    So essentially, it’s a very limited game style, combined with a boring crappy game style.

Yeah it’s a fucking bore.

• DK says:

How do you get “DotA” out of a no-lane, no NPC, no items, no power progression, no randomness arena combat game?
      Bloodlines is about as far from DotA as you can get with a top-down hero game. The only thing it has in common with it is a camera angle and more than shades of brown.

• Longrat says:

Hmm, let’s see.
      Different heroes, each with his own abilities. Top down camera angle. 5v5 deathmatch. Can’t see any connection? Like I said, it’s a combination of WoW and DOTA.

• DK says:

That’s like saying Thief is the same as Unreal Tournament because they’re both First Person and you select weapons with the number keys.

11. Flameberge says:

Every time I see a bit of news on this game, I just see ‘Bloodlines’ and for a split second I get excited that it’s something about Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines. Then it isn’t. And then I’m sad.

(incidentally, only really just noticed the amount of needless punction in Vampire Bloodlines’ title. Silly developers / White Wolf)

12. Arathain says:

You folks have your grumpy trousers on this evening, haven’t you?

13. Fedaykin says:

Awesome game. I have been playing it for more than a month and it’s a blast everytime. It’s incredibly well put toghether from all points of view: design, art and technically.

The real fun in it is the learning and perfecting your gameplay with a certain bloodline. Simply learning to play the game well is really fun. No need for pointless progression systems, achievements or other nonsense like this.
    Far to many games these days rely on these stupid hooks to get you to continue playing. Here.. there is only self improvement. And each match is different from the last.

Wish there would be more games like this.

14. BooleanBob says:

I’m sure someone must have pointed this out, but in light of all the spam, I feel I should mention that the captcha isn’t.. well, there anymore. What gives?

15. Eschatos says:

That sounds mildly scandalous.

16. Snooglebum says:

Makes you wonder what they’re actually trying to sell.

Comment on this story