Batman: Arkham City Extendo Trail

By Quintin Smith on December 13th, 2010 at 6:51 pm.

Last week was a week where I posted a very short Batman: Arkham City footage and said I would not use right grammar until we got in-game footage. Like Batman, I cannot back down. So here it is! The same trailer, but enlongened. See Batman fight his enemys in the rain. He gets wet. Poor soggy Batamn. Have a towl, soggy Batman. There there.

Oh no the towl was poisoned! It was the work of Batman’s nenemy, the Joker! A deadly trap.

, .

1. Rath says:

Last week I reckoned the military types were Cadmus. I was utterly wrong. Not only is their employer revealed in this trailer, you can also clearly read the words “Tyger Industries” on the arm patch.

2. stahlwerk says:

Holy neologisms, Wetman! Nenemy should totally be a word.

• Premium User Badge Arathain says:

It’s your nemesis enemy. Your very worstest least favourite enemy of all.

• stahlwerk says:

It’s great, because it makes me think of that line in finding nemo. “I live in an nenenomy!”

It’s cute AND antagonistic. Cutagonistic!

3. Jakkar says:

… I rather liked that.

Having, to my surprise, enjoyed Arkham Asylum rather a lot, this may be the first purely CG game trailer I’ve ever appreciated without the disturbing disconnection of cynicism. I know Arkham City has a high chance of being a very enjoyable game, so I’m able to give in to the atmosphere of this trailer and simply enjoy it. Ooh, excitement!

Admittedly, the Deus Ex 3 one managed to do similar, but was too packed with obvious ‘homages’ to classic dystopic scifi and cyberpunk materials to appreciate it on its own merits.

• Jack says:

Personally, I’d list the Deus Ex 3 CG trailer as the best one I’ve ever seen. The icarus thing started it, the punching through walls thing ended it. Fantastic score, graphics, etc. Just pretty great, all-around.

4. Rath says:

1:25 – Nut shot.

• Miked says:

Superb kick from Batman. I’m slightly surprised Quintin didn’t use that as the post image.

• Cyrenic says:

One of my favorite pieces of awkwardness from the first game was an animation feature/bug when you would finish off a henchman dazed on the ground. Instead of punching them in the face like normal, Batman would flip up in the air, land on the bad guy the wrong direction, and deliver a devastating slow motion punch right in the nads.

5. Pantsman says:

Wait, that was CG, wasn’t it? I actually couldn’t tell for the first half or so.

• DrazharLn says:

It was very good, but the close up of Batman’s face at the end was far too shiny.

Real people don’t have plastic, shiny skin.

• bob_d says:

It’s amazing – the guy in the chair looks so real, thanks to great texturing, animation and some smart use of depth of field to hide its CGI-ness. It was only after watching it a few times that I realized that it was all CG.

• Jack says:

That and having everything take place on a dark foggy night.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Yes the guy in the chair was equally well animated as the guy in the Big Ben in the ME3 Trailer. I know, but i can’t tell>/i>.

Now to watch that DX3 trailer i still haven’t seen yet!

• Dhatz says:

real people don’t have rain where their mask prevents it to land.

6. My opinion is terrible and I'm sorry says:

A trap of the Joper??? BATMEN NOOOO

But seriously, Dr Strange is an underused and fascinating villain and it’s nice seeing him get top billing for once.

7. Premium User Badge Morph says:

Strange is rumoured to be the bad guy in the third Batman film, so interesting to see him pop up here as well. The next trailer needs to feature the Mad Hatter.

• Jake says:

Interesting, perhaps this is an attempt to raise his profile so he can be in the third film, he’s not really an a-list villain, but the films have run a bit low on those. Any villain they use now will seem like a bit of a damp squib unless they increase awareness of them.

8. mcnostril says:

Was that Christopher Lee?

• Janek says:

Certainly sounds a fair bit like him, although the wavering quality has me in two minds. It’s like a cross between Christopher Lee and the G-Man.

(Which may very well be a deliberate stylistic choice, to big up the madness or whatever)

• Malcolm says:

According to the oracle at wikipedia, it is indeed Christopher Lee

• Navagon says:

Dude’s pushing 90 and he’s still an active industry legend. You’ve got to admire that.

• TheTingler says:

I don’t believe that Wiki entry. It is NOT Christopher Lee. It is the guy who imitates him for Star Wars: The Clone Wars. He does a good job, but it’s blatantly not him.

• Malcolm says:

You might be right – it’s been edited away now :)

• deejayem says:

Chiristopher Lee! It’s actually illegal to just say his name – you have to sing it in your deepest bass voice.

Chris-to-pher LEEEEEEE!

• RC-1290'Dreadnought' says:

Sounds more like Corey Burton than sir Christopher Lee.

9. cyberjorts says:

cool spelling bro

10. crabbytap says:

Wow it’s Dr Steel

11. Igor Hardy says:

Hilarious trailer description beats the trailer itself.

12. IcyBee says:

Wow – that looks really good.
    They should make a game of that.

13. icabod says:

This new Splinter Cell game looks great!

14. Po0py says:

Yowzer! Unreal Engine! You lookin fine!

15. Jake says:

This looks like it is using some existing comic story ideas, from Wikipedia: ‘Strange was reintroduced … as a psychologist enlisted to help a police taskforce capture Batman. While brilliant at his work, he was portrayed as being equally psychotic; Strange was so obsessed over Batman that he took to dressing up like him in private. Strange ends up escalating the scales against Batman by brainwashing a police officer to become a violent vigilante, framing Batman for kidnapping the Mayor’s daughter, and deducing Batman’s true identity as Bruce Wayne’

Also Strange makes giant monster men which Batman will undoubtedly need to ride like a clumsy horse. And he makes a monster Batman, so there’s the final boss sorted. And it opens up the opportunity to use Wayne Manor as a level.

16. Unaco says:

What‽ Batman is Bruce Wayne‽ You could have warned us there was spoilers in that video.

17. mr poop picjer upper says:

THIS GAME IS GOONNA BE AWSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

18. Ziv says:

“See Batman fight his enemys in the rain. He gets wet. Poor soggy Batamn. Have a towl, soggy Batman. There there.”

Why I read this site.

19. Nighthood says:

Again, just like the ME3 trailer, CGI has become so photorealistic it’s easy to mistake it for real recorded footage. Did I miss the memo on this? CGI like this seems to have popped up from nowhere.

• Zyrxil says:

You know those things you watch in theaters? “Movies” or whotzits? Full of stuff you think is real recorded footage.

• Nighthood says:

Dohoho. You know what I meant.

• Zenicetus says:

I dunno… I’m still seeing plenty of Uncanny Valley there. The marine sniper’s face in the ME3 trailer got a little closer for me. The combat animation in this trailer does look very good, and I’ll bet it was motion capture from live actors. It’s kinda like cheating, but it works really well until there are better procedural methods for doing it with 100% digital actors.

20. Sharkticon says:

Batttaaaaammmnnnnnnnnn

21. Lars BR says:

Are we sure none of those sequences weren’t live action? I’m impressed that I’m in doubt.

• bob_d says:

Yeah, it’s pretty amazing, isn’t it? I had to watch the beginning numerous times to tell. They cleverly used depth-of-field and shadows to hide imperfections, but you can see that the fellow in the chair opens his mouth just a wee bit too wide when he screams.

22. fallingmagpie says:

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

23. spork says:

So is this gonna be the same repetitive snore fest that was Arkham Asylum? You know, the boring combat that pretty much plays itself, the “stealth” parts that are barely on par with the first Splinter Cell game, the constant backtracking through linear environments?

Arkham Asylum had wonderful graphics but the game itself was really overrated. I think everybody was just wowed by the gfx and didn’t even realize what a boring game it was. The combat needs to be more like Ninja Gaiden instead of the super-easy-yawn-inducing two button nonsense from the first game. And really, can we do more with the grapple this time? They need to borrow the grapple from Just Cause 2, now THAT’S how you do a grappling hook.

• Jake says:

I think I was fooled by the graphics, tricked into completing it twice by my complete inability to realise what a boring game it was. Oh why couldn’t I realise, think of all that arduous fun I could have avoided. I’ll probably play it again before long, hopefully I’ll realise then, even if it is just so damn shiny.

• Ian says:

I played the game on reduced graphics settings (by necessity) and still adored it.

It’s possible that, y’know, it just wasn’t to your taste.

• delialli says:

i’m sorry to jump in here but if they make this game more like ninja gaiden i will cry. i found that frustrating in the worst way. this game was about batman, remember, and fighting IS easy for him…facing three unarmed thugs is something he does while he’s texting alfred with the other hand. (jker poisonin wtr spply AGEN,lol.c u l8r,sky+family guy plz). On replaying the hardcore main story (with some of the visual cues removed from combat and harder hitting enemies) i wasn’t hurting for a challenge, and i’ve completed Demon’s Souls (you may touch the hem of my garment). i’m glad there are games like ninja gaiden being made but THIS HAS BATMAN

• Adam Babloyan says:

@spork Ninja Gaiden is garbage. Take your weabo garbage with you when you leave. The only time the words Batman and Japanese should be used in the same sentence together is with the connector phrase “Ass-Kicking that makes WW2 look like a bar-brawl shiner”.

24. amishmonster says:

Is that really how you spell “towel” in Britain? That looks even stranger than “kerb” (to my eyes; I realize it’s totally subjective.

Poor soggy Batman.

25. JRv says:

Best CG trailer I have ever seen. Can’t wait for the game

26. Bhazor says:

Hee hee.
    Shoes Forking. Dirty filthy shoes.

27. noobnob says:

And you fix your grammar as well, as soon as there is in-game footage of this game!

28. WJonathan says:

Can you blatantly not be someone?

I guess in a way I’m blatantly not Brad Pitt.

29. Davey Jones says:

Steve Buscemi is blatantly not Brad Pitt.

30. geldonyetich says:

It’s going to be a looong year before Fall 2011.

31. Nallen says:

Blademan
    Batrunner

Can’t decide.

32. The Sombrero Kid says:

This game will be the best thing since the last batman game, except skyrim which will be the best thing since fallout 3 except for the last batman

33. Ogun says:

I thought the city was called Gotham

34. KenTWOu says:

Feel sick cause they broke 180 degree rule in their trailer.

35. WJonathan says:

I would like to propose “the towl was poisoned” as the official catchphrase of anything disappointing.