Humble Bundle 2: Humble Harder

By Alec Meer on December 14th, 2010 at 9:30 pm.

You may recall this Spring’s Humble Indie Bundle, in which an assortment of delectable indie treats lined up and asked for however much/little you were willing to offer them, then duly forked over a portion of proceeds to Child’s Play and the EFF. It sold rather well, and there was much rejoicing. It was an epochal moment, which could never possibly happen again.

Somehow, it’s happened again. Five super indie games, at a price of your choosing.

The latest round of Humble Bundle (or Hundle, as I shall now insist on calling it) constitutes Braid, Machinarium, Revenge of the Titans, Osmos and Cortex Command. All of these games have been featured on RPS at one point or another and all of them in a positive light – which by my maths means the entire bundle is worth at least $345413232.97.

No doubt you’d rather pay a price you’re comfortable with, however. That can be arranged. Whatever you like, and you can adjust exactly how much goes to the games, how much goes to charity and how much goes as a tip to Hundle organisers Wolfire (who don’t have a game in the pack this time around) to go towards arranging more of this kind of thing.

It’s an awesome bundle and an awesome offer. You should totally go do it. Here’s a trailer, too:

Oh, and non-Windowsers will be glad to hear that all five games are available for PC, Posh PC and DIY PC.

1. Conor says:

Excellent to see that it’s all happening again. For some odd reason I can’t wait to hand my money over to these fine fellows.

2. Andreas says:

Also, it’s worth noting you can now register your original humble bundle on steam.

• boldoran says:

Wow thanks for pointing that out. I did not notice the email with the key I got until just now.

It was almost impossible to make the Hundle more awesome but they found a way.

• Frank says:

Yeah, yeah thanks!

3. ZenArcade says:

Christ almighty, that’s one heck of a bundle. Deffo dipping into this one. Hooray for indie bundles!

Sinomatic says:

Also, the downloads (at least mine) are *painfully* slow. So I imagine its rather busy. And that you might want to wait until later to get your goodies.

5. Tweakd says:

“Journeyman @ RPS $650.00″

I applaud you sir. Unless you just hit too many zeros ;)

• Starky says:

How gutted would you be “$65 is generous…”

“OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT!!!”

• Earl_of_Josh says:

I concur with this applause. Truly, it is now officially sanctioned.

6. Ysellian says:

Lol loved this:
    Top contributors
    1paulguy
    $666.00

Can’t wait for someone to pay $1337 just for the heck of it.

• MadMatty says:

Notch grabbed the top spot with 2000$ – git.

• adonf says:

I’m paying 13.37 just for the heck of it. And another one at 6.66. Oh that’s total $20, perfect !

7. Navagon says:

It’s a damn fine bundle alright. Well worth getting for Machinarium alone. But I’ve already got four of the buggers.

8. noom says:

I’ve been slightly frustrated by the slow progress of Cortex Command tbh. Was very excited about that game when I first played it. That was about 2 years ago I believe, and there’s only been one update since :\

• Petethegoat says:

Not quite two years, but not far. Check the forums for mods.
      The community is understandably pissed off a lot of the time, but we’re a nice bunch really.

• Dominic White says:

There’d been rumblings that there’s a major new release happening very soon. Last big update got the framework set up for a campaign mode, and the first test-missions for that. Then silence, so I can only presume thats what he’s been working on.

• Petethegoat says:

The new build with the bundle has a couple new gamemodes, but no campaign, and no new content.
      Hopefully Data will have fixed some of the things modders have found broken, and we’ll get a new wave of mods.
      I’m sort of expecting a B25 to come out pretty quickly, as this doesn’t quite feel like a year and a half of development. We’ll see.

• Skurmedel says:

Was a bit disheartened by the lack of updates as well. It’s only fun doing random skirmish for so long.

• Rich says:

Does buying this version of Cortex Command give you access to the updates?

phlebas says:

“Please note, Cortex Command and Revenge of the Titans are still under active development. You are eligible for all future updates! The bundle makes a great holiday gift that will keep improving over time.”

• Rich says:

Oh goody.

theunshaven says:

That’s a damn sexy bundle. However, I have everything on it already except cortex command!

And I’m horribly skint right now, yet don’t want to be one of Those People, and I do want to contribute on principle.

CONUNDRUM.

• Yorick says:

I’m in the same boat. I already own three of the five games.

I also tried the demo/beta-thing of Cortex Command and was unconvinced.

• reticulate says:

I have most of them already as well – I was thinking of doing the gift thing.

• Face says:

You need to download the Orkboys and Space Marines mods for Cortex Command. Especially the Orkboys. Rockit Gunz, Snaz Gunz, Snotlings and Orks in many many varieties, and even the steampowered…thingies… Whatever they are. If you like 40K, anyway, it’s one more reason to try CC. The deadliness of the game suits the 40K units perfectly…

I turn it on and play with it obsessively for several hours once every three months. It’s one of those games.

10. MadTinkerer says:

This time I only already own three of the games! BUYING NOW.

11. Forch says:

Anyone who already owns the games want to give a few quick reviews to convince me? I know, you only need to pay a cent to get all 5 if you’re really on the fence, but I want to know what RPS thinks.

• Brumisator says:

I think enough has been said about Braid. It’s worth paying money for.
      Machinarium is worth paying for, it’s a neat puzzle adventure game, slighty in the vein, so slow, no-hassle puzzle solving, little to no adrenalin involved with its own kind of wackiness to it
      Osmos is worth money as well, a quaint simplistic atmosphere, but with good gamep.lay value, working off the primal urge any human has to grow bigger and bigger until you’re the biggest pod on the block.

Cortex Command and Revenge of the titans, I can tell you nothing about, until I’ve purchased this bundle.

But hey, 3 out of 5 get my seal of approval, and the other two probably will be getting it shortly.

TheJimTimMan says:

Cortex Command is a fantastic piece of work if you’re willing to look past the fact that it’s not actually finished.
      Think of it as real-time worms with underground bunker-building and mind control. And physics. Glorious, glorious, physics.
      Unfortuantely, those physics can lead to some rather nasty drops in performance when stuff’s exploding every half second; sending bits of dropship, dummy and soldier all over the place. The base game has a fair amount of death-dealing apparatus available, but it won’t last forever.
      That’s where mods come in.
      I really can’t stress enough how vital the mod community has been to this game’s longevity: new bodies, bunker bits, brains- without the wealth of content provided by enterprising modders CC wouldn’t be the game it is. Get on the forums, download anything that looks interesting and experiment to your heart’s desire.
      Well worth the asking price of {X}[currency], any day.

• Mistabashi says:

Machinarium is definately worth your time. It’s a fairly short and simple point and click adventure but is incredibly charming and has some beutiful artwork, plus it’s got a few really devious ‘classic’ puzzles in it (the one with the pipes had me scratching my head and rubbing my eyes for ages).

• DrazharLn says:

The Revenge of the Titans has a demo out, I played it and it was good. I can recommend it heartily as a clever wee tower defence.

It’s got some wholesome upgrading in the campaign and it’s well presented.

• fuggles says:

AGH! I put in the wrong captcha (allegedly) and it now wipes your comments field. Someone asked for reviews, so Braid = staggering genius, Machinarium = Tedious logic puzzle hell. That’ll do.

12. Fwiffo says:

I had to beg my friend to get this for me as I’m living on credit for the next fortnight and simply can’t.

She only had £1.87 in her account so that’s all we gave.

Now we both feel like robbing shites :(

13. Byth says:

I want it, but I don’t have a whole lot of money. $5 is probably the most I could afford and give some non-dollar-store christmas gifts.. But then I would feel bad for not paying enough :(. Maybe I could just overpay on the next one or something. At least I have a week to figure it out :P.

14. JuJuCam says:

I actually only already own one of these (Osmos, of all things :S) So this one was a no-brainer.

Devan says:

Same for me. I guess it’s lucky to only have one duplicate, althought the pay-what-you-want allows you to compensate. Definitely going to pick this up..

15. Chaindrop says:

I shall buy this only for the Revenge of the Titans since i’m a sucker for tower defense games. I have played the demo of Cortex Command a really long time ago (I think 2 years), the graphics looks great, but the controls and the physics was extremely terrible, has there been any good progress with that game?

16. TooNu says:

This and Killing Floor complete pack in the same night?!?!!? Surely it is the work of old men.

17. Mist says:

I had none of the games, and was interested in 3 of them (Osmos, Braid, Machinarium), so that was an easy decision..

It’s a shame that you can only give in US dollars. My paypal acount is in euros and I just wanted to give whatever was left in it, but I don’t know the exact exchange rate so I just entered a round number in dollars that I knew for sure was still in my account in euros..

..now I have 2.47 euros in my account left -_-

18. Simon says:

Erg, I already own three of those (Braid, Machinarium and Osmos)…. Meh, getting it anyway. This sort of thing needs to be encouraged.

19. sebmojo says:

It’s oddly mesmeric watching the counter go up.

• MadMatty says:

yeah i was clocking it for a few minutes to see if i could spot 1 cent donators hehe

20. lilgamefreek says:

If I get this, I’ll still get the finished versions of cortex command and Revenge of the Titans, right?

All ready got it, but want to know for future reference.

• zuzia says:

“Please note, Cortex Command and Revenge of the Titans are still under active development. You are eligible for all future updates!”

21. pupsikaso says:

I’ve somehow managed to procrastinate my way through the last Hundle, but this time I’ve already paid!
    Hopefully my contribution will raise the pitifully low PC average $.

• pupsikaso says:

Oh, I remember! I didn’t get the first because I had all the games on it already =(
      But this one I only have 1 :D

22. lowest.common.denominator says:

Don’t use the google shopping basket if you can avoid it!

I put in the order at 6.41 and nothing through yet, 5 hours later- I’d recommend going through paypal or the amazon option instead for anyone eager to get playing.

Braid is well worth a tenner on its own!

• lowest.common.denominator says:

ignore that – turns out you can just ask them to resend the key!

23. pupsikaso says:

Lol, the gags in the trailer are very well done.

“Enter your email address correctly so we can get your battlecruiser… er I mean, bundle operational”
    XD

24. msarge says:

I love this. Good games, great charities, do it!

I hope they do one of these every year.

25. bookwormat says:

Nice, finally a good reason to play machinarium. But this time my few bucks actually go to the developers – I already donated $100 to the EFF earlier this month.

It is also very nice that Braid seems to have a native linux version by now.

26. Brumisator says:

The download servers are getting hammered. I guess this is working out fine.

27. Po0py says:

Anyone else struggling to get Clash of the Titans to work? Give an of error message when I try to run it. It’s still beta though so I can forgive.

• fuggles says:

I have solved the Revenge of the Titans Main Class not found problem! Well, I say I, but I saw the solution on another forum. If you, like me and probably poopy have the message saying “Failed to find main class” when you run from desktop then delete the shortcut, go into program files/revenge of the titans and make a new desktop shortcut from the exe, or just run the exe. Et voila!

By the way, more HIB2 stuff coming to the pack this week.

28. kastanok says:

I don’t own any of them, amazingly. I am however totally skint :/

James G says:

Hmm, own three (Braid, Osmos, Machinarium), and only mildly curious about the other two. I’m sure I’ll cave in a couple of days, I brought the first, despite owning two game in the bundle.

30. malkav11 says:

I think I preordered Machinarium, back in the day. Certainly, I already have it. And while I didn’t have the PC version of Braid, I do have the XBLA version and have no particular need to play it again on a different platform. That said, Cortex Command and Revenge of the Titans both interest me enough to chip in $10. And I might just do a bit of gifting…hard to say, though. My friends might pay more than I would if I just link it to them. All in all, a better bundle for me than the previous, where I believe I already owned either four of five with no interest in the last, or all five.

I wonder if they’ll make it possible to register the games on Steam the way the last bundle was recently. (Yes, yes, I know, I shouldn’t be wanting a DRMed version of something I’m getting without DRM, but Steam is so damnably convenient and it’s less download sites to keep track of. I’d still have the other version, in a pinch.)

31. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

Is there no announcement concerning the new Wolfire game?

I was hoping that while it was obvious that they weren’t going to give their new, bigger and better game away for (nearly) free, they’d at least ride their own Bundle’s publicity wave and announce something exciting about that animal fighting game.

32. Wii and the Kid says:

Support #teamindie and charity and your pocket and your game addiction. oh yes. good deal.

33. noobnob says:

Funny to see that some are using this humble bundle as an opportunity to advertise their own services.

If only those forking shoes bots did the same…then perhaps they’d be able to sell something.

34. geldonyetich says:

Wow, I wanted to get Cortex Command for awhile (I already own the other four games). It’s a very impressive bundle, all five games are rather fabulous.

Good thing it says on the page, “you are eligible for all future updates!” as the current version of Cortex Command is much broader than I remember, which is cool, but it seems it’s also significantly less stable. Perhaps there’s a trick to stop the current version from locking up so often.

Granted, I’m not sure exactly how securing updates works, as they don’t give out a key, just a DRM-free version to download.

35. Kevbo says:

Make sure to donate some of your money to the Humble Tip. This will ensure that we see more of this idea which I think is fantastic!

36. wonkavision says:

Just paid $10. I don’t even want these games. Maybe my nephew will like them.

37. Red_Avatar says:

I already own 4 of the 5 games and I’m pretty low on money :( but I still paid $10.

38. BobDicks says:

So what’s stopping someone from paying one cent?

39. poop says:

if this wasnt donating to charity I would be pretty annoyed at how data lured me into buying the bundle for the new version of cortex command that is literally 3 half finished maps >:(

• Kid A says:

Which part of “you are eligible for all future updates” did you fail to comprehend, precisely?

• poop says:

ive had the game for like a year i just got the new one because data said that the humble version was new :o

• Dominic White says:

… If you already own the game, then you would have gotten that update soon anyway. I’m not sure what your complaint here is.

• poop says:

now that ive bought the game twice im doubly as dissapointed with how little data has done with this game for almost a year that he promised updates for :I

40. fuggles says:

Tricky. Whilst I support the cause I already have braid, which is the only game I would be interested in. Machinarium is an awful game which I regret buying and I’m all tower defensed out, which just leaves cortex command (never heard of, researching) and Osmos (looks amusing in short bursts).

I didn’t get a lot of play out of the last hundle either, not finding gish very fun, already owning goo, hating lugaru and really enjoying Aquaria.

41. U.N.I.T.Y. HQ says:

So I’ve been seeing the inevitable discussion about people paying .01 for the bundle on different websites, and how it’s wrong because they lose money due to the transaction fees. I think people should donate what they are able, even if it’s only a dollar or two. I don’t agree with people paying a cent, though, especially if they lost money because of it. I really wanted to know whether this was the case or not. Serendipitously, when I went to the humble bundle website I noticed the little chat window at the bottom, where you can talk to a dev or volunteer, which was new to me. So, I decided to use it to ask and find out for sure if this was the case.

The answers I got:

On if they lose money for .01 cent donations: “I think we might lose money on google checkout, but yeah not very much.”

On why the price floor is the same as last year: “We just decided to maximize participation.”

On donations under a dollar/quid: “Basically we get 0 proceeds from anything less than a dollar so it’s all pretty much the same anyway.”

On what the humble tip goes to: “It helps humble bundle, inc. who put the time and money into making the site, getting the bandwidth, etc. to make the promotion happen.”

[Follow up question] The bandwidth for just the website or for downloading the games as well?
    “All of it. We don’t have a game in the bundle this time, but we thought it would be sad if we didn’t try to make another bundle. So the tip is a way that we might be able to do these for others without losing money”

On whether it was okay to quote his responses: “Uh oh, surprise quotes eh? Yeah, that’s fine. Tell my story to others, so that when I am gone, they will know what we did here.”

Then, the strapping volunteer heard a distant call. Tall and strong, astride his horse, he put down the cat he had just rescued. He turned into the night, heeding the call of charity.

Good bunch of people over there, it seems.

42. Shoogly says:

So I’ve been seeing the inevitable discussion about people paying .01 for the bundle on different websites, and how it’s wrong to do because they lose money. I think people should donate what they are able, even if it’s only a dollar or two, but I don’t agree with only donating a cent, especially if they lose money. I really wanted to know whether this was the case or not. Serendipitously, when I went to the humble bundle website I noticed the little chat window at the bottom, where you can talk to a dev or volunteer, which was new to me. So, I decided to use it to ask and find out for sure if this was the case.

The answers I got:

( So, for those of you yet to donate who were thinking of only giving them a cent because you could, please consider at least donating a dollar if you were only going to give the minimum. )

On whether it was okay to quote his answers: “Uh oh, surprise quotes eh? Yeah, that’s fine. Tell my story to others, so that when I am gone, they will know what we did here.”

Good bunch of people over there, it seems.

• Shoogly says:

Dangit, I thought there was an edit now? If someone could delete one of these, that would be great. I didn’t think it posted the first time.

43. Rich says:

Notch appears to be the top contribute at the moment, having spent $2000. Good man.

• panther says:

Didn’t you know notch is an asshole!

Nah just messing around, good on him!

44. Corrupt_Tiki says:

If I buy this now, do I have to download it straight away, or can it stay on steam[or similar] for a while before I activate/download it.

Yes my internets is that shitty

Sinomatic says:

As far as I’m aware, they’re attempting to keep the downloads up for the foreseeable future.

You can still go and download the games from the indie bundle in spring if that helps put your mind at ease at all.

• Cas says:

The downloads will be available “forever”. HIB#2 will probably also be Steamable in the not too distant future as well.

• Moocher says:

First Puppygames game on Steam!?

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Done!, although I could only afford 20$ USD, as I mean, it’s xmas, and people want things so I can’t give away too much, I feel like a cheapskate now =(, should’ve been 50$ =/

45. Jonathan says:

I already own three of them (Braid twice — on 360 and PC), but I’ve been interested in Revenge of the Titans for some time and Osmos looks like it could be nice, so count me in.

46. Tom Camfield says:

Machinarium was on my wishlist, so some money for that, some money for charity.

47. Delusibeta says:

Just dropped $5 on the bundle, with $1 to the organisers and $4 for the developers.

• Rich says:

Not judging you, but why no love for the charities?

• poop says:

• log says:

“i sorta wish that the two charities werent doofy nerd charities and were the red cross + unicef or something”

This. A thousand times this.

48. Gunnar says:

I already have two of them, and am interested in 2 of the others. Just like it was with the first bundle, actually… This sort of thing should be encouraged, so there I go: add (some of) my money to their money giving their money :)

49. poop says:

╭⌒╮⌒╮★∵╭⌒ ★∴ ☆
    ╱◥██◣ ☆
    |田|田田│ ☆ ★
    ╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬

50. Kefren says:

Excellent! In this pack I had already bought Osmos and Machinarium separately, but will probably pay again anyway because the makers are so cool.

I just contacted the great HB2 people. I had bought Bundle1 and saw that Steam users can access the games that way. I don’t use Steam but do use Good Old Games and (second choice) GamersGate. I’ve asked if there is any chance that the games could go on one of those platforms too. It would mean more sales for the good guys, and would be a bonus for purchasers who use one of those platforms so they don’t need to keep the confirmation emails. :-)