Storm Troopers: Elements Of War

By Jim Rossignol on December 14th, 2010 at 5:43 pm.

Kalypso send word of their new project being developed by Lesta Studios, a weather and terrain-based strategy game called Elements Of War. Here’s what they say: “a real time strategy game unlike any other – where armies manipulate the forces of nature to rain down destruction on their foes or gain a tactical advantage by transforming the battlefield with hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes.” Sounds like someone’s been reading the weaponised landscapes section of the BLDGBLOG book… Three factions will apparently fight it out to control the world by manipulating the weather and tectonic forces, a process which looks like it might entail familiar tanks and helicopters and stuff backed up by meteorological special powers.

The game is out in February 2011.

, , .

1. Goomich says:

So, basicly Ruse with weather, rather than ruses?

2. Tater Po says:

*ahem* *cough* Populous *cough* *cough*

• Chris D says:

Yep, a game unlike any other, apart from that one. And the sequels. And maybe Black and White.

Still a game statistically unlike any other, especially when compared to the legion of “man with a gun” games is no bad thing.

• Perjoss says:

ah Populous,
      Yes, nothing quite like it, I think that was the first game that I obsessed over, skipping meals and going to bed very late just to have 1 more go… on my Atari ST, I loved that computer!

3. Namos says:

I can just hear the trailer now:

“Unleash the ultimate unit: the Commando Meteorologist!”

I do hope they call it Angry Weathermen. Or is that Weatherpeople?

4. ScubaMonster says:

Populous: Modern Warfare?

Sinomatic says:

Can I cause a volcano then make a lava tornado? Can I? Can I?

#someoneshadtoomuchcoffee

6. Jim Reaper says:

I want to feel like a warm, but I don’t have Pyapal service…!

Back on topic, I look forward to seeing off tanks with a brisk south-westerly wind with a chance of rain later!

Arathain says:

But Jim, you must not miss it! In caps and everything so you know they really mean it.

I have to say, feeling like a warm is mighty tempting.

8. Shadrach says:

We have had almost any other permutation of the “x of war” title, when will we have “WAR OF WAR” :)

• Wilson says:

War of War: The War on Warring II – Ultimate Final War, sequel to the best-selling War of War: The War on Warring – Global War now takes players to an even more visceral and thrilling war! Wage war across two war ravaged continents! Will you have what it takes to end the war on war once and for all? It’s time… for war!

9. Sid says:

A game unlike any other? I remember unleashing earthquakes, tornadoes, and lightning storms (et al) back in Age of Mythology..

10. Coins says:

I didn’t realize Populus, Black & White and Age of Mythology had a modern setting? I for one look forward to sweeping a platoon of enemy soldiers into power cables.

11. Tilla says:

They should seriously consider changing the name of this game. Too close to ‘Elemental War of Magic’ for me. And that brings back baaaaad memories of Stardock Guy yelling at everyone

• Baines says:

The name is pretty close to Elements of Destruction as well, the Xbox 360 game where you “manipulate the forces of nature to rain down destruction on [your] foes or gain a tactical advantage by transforming the battlefield with hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes.”

12. ScubaMonster says:

I’m confused by the military setting combined with supernatural weather manipulation.

• DHP says:

I am guessing it is actually a military setting combined with technological weather manipulation. Oh, how I hope there is a “sabotage enemy tornado generator” option…

13. RawTheory says:

HAARP. High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program.

14. Alder says:

Russian critics rate it about 7/10

15. Enshu says:

I just saw two words: Storm and Trooper, and thought about Lawrence Watt-Evans, and got a bit worried. But now I see it’s okay. Phew, really.