First On The Left: Alien Hallway

By Jim Rossignol on December 15th, 2010 at 4:14 pm.

School hallway, the prequel, was much less interesting.
We’re used to corridor shooters, but corridor strategies? That’s what Sigma Team (they of Alien Shooter) are up to with Alien Hallway. It takes place in… a… hallway. Yes. Aliens are attacking and you have to use your mind to organise the defense. Of the hallway. Sort of tower defence with creeps on both sides, or something, single path sort of DOTA thing. Yeah, it actually looks about a million times more fun than I am making it sound. I’m terrible at this. Go watch the video, below.

Alien Hallway is out now. (News via Blues! Love you, Blue.)

, .

1. CMaster says:

It actually looks like another take on the Age of War style gameplay that’s enjoyed quite a lot of success in the land of Flash games.

2. NicoPonk says:

Looks like a solo variation on DOTA.

• Rich says:

So DOTA without all the venom directed at new players. Sounds good.

• Barnaby says:

I played DotA for quite a while (without realizing how popular it was) back in the day and I still have never understood A) why people think it is difficult B) how DotA player’s tone towards newbs is that different from other games that require a bit of skill/know-how?

Played Counterstrike? Played any game on the internet?

• socks says:

I had an aptitude for thing. Apparently others don’t, and it seems they had a different experience related to thing compared to mine. What gives?

• Kdansky says:

DOTA is very bad at giving you feedback if you are playing well. DOTA also excels at being cryptic and inaccessible, where you can choose from seventy bajillion items and spells in the beginning, and you have no clue at all what’s good or not. It’s like guild wars, except you have to select your skills under time pressure. It’s not hard to play when you have some experience, but it is impossible to get in and not totally suck. Even in an e-sports game like SC2, you can just spam some random units, and that results in you being decent. You don’t have to know about which units counter which (pro tip: Having more stuff counters everything), or even what some abilities of certain units do. You can get by with basic RTS-sense (build stuff, get money, build more stuff, attack his stuff).

• log says:

@Barnaby:

A) Because it is.

B) Because they are.

• Barnaby says:

Congratulations on being able to make snarky remarks, socks and log. Your names are about as interesting as your input.

Kdansky, all that does make sense. Some of the tomes and upgrades were confusing but after a few play throughs I was able to distinguish what was good and what sucked. Good point though.

• malkav11 says:

With most competitive team-based games, if you suck, you’re just not going to pull your weight for the team, whereas the game design of DOTA actively rewards the opposing team if you’re a bad/new player. So, I’ve never actually dealt with the community, but it would make sense for them to be problematic for a new player. You’re not just useless, you’re actively helping the other side. Who wants to deal with that?

• Jahn says:

@Kdansky

Regarding SC (not to derail), if you are spamming random units and doing decent then you are playing against someone who also does not know what they’re doing.

I think an important distinction to make is that in e-sports like codblops, it is pretty clear that you are not doing well because you are not fast/accurate/clever enough, whereas in DOTA I failed repeatedly without really knowing why.

Schaulustiger says:

Looks interesting, but if I have to pay extra money to extend the download period to a mere two years, it’s basically a no-go right now. And I noticed: if you leave the payment site (regnow), you are offered a 20% discount via popup. Might be useful for those who actually intend to buy the thing.

4. 8-bit says:

So after years of making the same game over and over and over and over and over they are finally doing something different? Well that sounds like a risky strategy to me.

The 20% discount as mentioned above is now 15% still the price they are asking isn’t that bad, I remember they were charging £15 for zombie shooter when that first came out. Any word on a demo there doesn’t seem to be one on the site and I know they usually do have them.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Hello.

It’s only different if you never played a Flash game in your life. The recent Swords & Soldiers is exactly the same thing, for example.

• malkav11 says:

And yet, it’s substantially different than the other dozen games that the same team has made, which are all slight variations on having a single player character murder the hell out of giant swarms of enemies.

5. DrGonzo says:

It sounds like Power of Defence. Which seemed to get bad feedback, but I quite enjoyed it for a couple of evenings.

6. simon says:

i misread the title & thought this was a remake of the speccy classic “Alien Highway”, took me back
    to a happy time long ago…….

7. DrazharLn says:

^^ spam

My plan is to teach your spam filter to delete comments that I reply to with the string “^^ spam”. Then I will (naturally) abuse the hell out of this power.

8. DrazharLn says:

^^ spam

9. ed hardy says:

This article is informative and interesting Good quality and cheaper! hope your life is full of happiness!

10. Kektain says: