Oddboxx Pricced

By John Walker on December 15th, 2010 at 11:11 am.

Cheer up, PCs are great!

Like so many series that saw their beginnings on the PC, then ABANDONED US LIKE DIRTY TURNCOATS, the Oddworld games hitched up their trousers and stomped off to the consoles in the last decade. SCREW THEM! you may cry. But it’s important to be forgiving, especially in the face of contrition. So it is that we’ve known the complete collection of Oddworld games, amidst rumours of a new addition to the series, is to appear on all manner of PC download services, maybe later this month. And now we know the prices.

The farty platform adventures began in 1997 with Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee. Then in 1998 came Abe’s Exoddus, a sequel, and yet not an official part of the quintology of games, because of the um. Well, it seems there were originally to be five games in the series, and it was made clear that Exoddus wasn’t to be counted as one of them, created as it was in nine months in the Oddysee engine.

Come 2001 the PC was discarded like an old tissue, with Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee coming out for the newfangled Xbox. Ooh, the Xbox, they said. This is modern and special, not like the PC which is for old men. Their backs turned, the bitterness began. This was, despite being clearly the third game in the series, the second game in the quintology.

In 2005 the Xbox also saw Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath, which again is apparently not part of the series proper. It seems there was a determination that the series never stand any chance of being completed. This is despite Stranger’s Wrath generally being considered to be the best in the series, and one of the most highly rated Xbox games.

And now look at them, coming crawling back to us. Thank goodness we’re so big-hearted and quick to accept repentance.

So all four games will be contained within the Oddboxx, that’s being released on Steam, GamersGate, Direct2Drive, Stardock, and even Amazon. All four together will cost £20 (€25, $25), although they’re being sold individually as well (£4, £4, £7 and £12 respectively).

, .

1. Hippo says:

Yet another company being fair to us Europeans, I see.

2. Lewie Procter says:

Seems like a fair price, although annoyingly if you have the first two games already, you only save £1 getting the latter two individually compared to the price of the whole set. I imagine quite a few people will be in that situation.

3. sneetch says:

“Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath”

Yes, please! I mean, yeah, whatever, I’ll take it I suppose, I mean I don’t want it, probably won’t play it. I’ll take the others too, whatever, just leave them over there.

Edit: adding taxes to the dollar price would be almost €23 where I live so I’m not gonna complain over the price, quite happy with it to play my favourite Xbox game again (I gave away my Xbox to some friends when I got my 360 foolishly thinking it’d work on it).

4. subedii says:

*munch*munch*munch*

… Does this taste bitter to you?

Anyway, I already picked up Abe’s Odyssey / Exodus ages ago when they said that if they saw enough sales they’d consider porting Stranger’s Wrath over. Glad to see they got enough support.

I was hoping it’d be on GOG.com as well but I guess you can’t have everything.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Truth be told, I’m not surprised. It seems a bit risky for an old, but newly ported game to appear on a DRM free outlet. I bet it might surface on GOG later on, though.

5. Jonathan says:

[abe]Hello[/abe]

I’m looking forward to these. Bizarrely though, the ones I think I’m looking forward to the most are the first two, which I’ve already played. I think it’s because they’ve been calling to me from the PSN store for my PSP, but the PSP doesn’t really have enough buttons.

6. Garg says:

But old men … are the FUTURE

7. Carra says:

These would fit better on gog.com

• Navagon says:

Yup. But then GOG has a ceiling price of $10 right now. So something has got to give.

8. Ian says:

Never played ‘em so I’m looking forward to giving them some buyage.

9. nets says:

Hey, any source about the individual prices?

10. Bald Space Marine says:

$25 = 19,68 €

Sod off, Oddworld.

• DevilSShadoW says:

Us Europeans are loaded. We can pay.
      Or so the rest of the world seems to think.

• sneetch says:

Today it’s €19.68, tomorrow it’ll be different. If you add the 20% VAT that I’ll have to pay to that (no taxes included in the US price after all) and it’s €23.61.

• MadTinkerer says:

Don’t you mean “Sodd off”?

• Srethron says:

@MadTinkerer: I think he meant “Sod off, shotgun.”

• NightKid says:

$25 = £16 and no Englishman in sight.

Whine much?

• NightKid says:

$25 = £16 and no Englishmen within earshot.

Whine much?

11. Bioptic says:

I love international pricing. £3 = $5, £7=$10, £10=$15, £15=$20, £20=$25.

The sad thing is that with 20% VAT, we’re only being overcharged by a quid for the Oddbox…but that’s just not an attractive price. I’d assume that any fan of the series that would be interested in playing these will already own the first 2 through the many sales they’ve had, which means that they’re charging the price of a brand new release for 2 ports of 5 and 10 year old games. None of which matters if they’re excellent, but I didn’t think they’d been kindly remembered by history.

12. Makenshi says:

The first 2 games (Abe’s Odyssey and Abe’s Exodus) are already on GOG for $4.19 (Xmas price) and have been there for a long time

• Barnaby says:

These were on sale on Steam for dirt cheap when they first became available. Can’t remember exactly what I paid but I think it was like 5 bucks for the first two. (I think?)

I tried playing through the first one again and it gets increasingly frustrating/difficult as you go. I got pretty close to the end but eventually got distracted by other games. This was one of my favorite games back on the PS1 and is still very fun to play through but expect some face-to-keyboard/controller bashing.

13. Starky says:

I’ll pass until the inevitable £5 sale on steam.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Me too. The games seem interesting, but I have no real desire to get them any time soon.

14. Urael says:

It’s hard to leave personal feeling out of this one. I got really invested in the first two games at release, and loved what Oddworld were doing. The Quintology thing sounded great. Ambitious, certainly, but this clever, creative company seemed just the shot in the arm the gaming industry needed at the time.

And then came the betrayal: Ignoring the PC for consoles. That…hurt. I recall lots of dismissive comments from their head honcho, too, heading, as he was, in the direction of the Hat Stall where all hats are made of Money. He’d pop back up from time to time, making comments about micropayments and other such evils that he saw would have to be investigated if a return to PC were ever to happen, but it was abundantly clear there wasn’t much enthusiasm. (He as recently quoted as telling the world to keep a close eye on Dave Perry – the man who would come to “revolutionise gaming”. Yes, THAT Dave Perry. There’s clearly some fan-worship happening here.)

So now the PC is profitable again (in their view, it never stopped being so in ours), Oddworld want to come back and hawk their crusty titles in our direction, like the slattern who left us without a backwards glance, travelled the world, screwed half of it, and now – suddenly – remembers how good it was to sleep in our bed?

…maybe I’ll take a look. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little intrigued at the latter two games I haven’t played. But just the one night, you understand? After that you’re out on your ear, Oddworld.

15. HeroJez says:

Probably get Stranger’s Wrath and deaf the others… Happy to pay a tenner.

Lars Westergren says:

The first Oddworld game was released for Playstation 1 in Japan a couple of years before it came to the PC.

17. MadTinkerer says:

Holy cow, comment spam is getting sophisticated. There’s even little text symbol art now! And it’s not generic ASCII, but art made using the particular symbols of this comment system!

I am actually impressed. Not enough to lower myself to clicking on spam-links, but still impressed.

• TheLordHimself says:

Yeah, I thought it was pretty neat too! For anyone who has no idea what we are talking about, the spam comment had this at the bottom:

⌒╮⌒╮★∵╭⌒ ★∴ ☆
      ╱◥██◣ ☆
      |田|田田│ ☆ ★
      ╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬

Home sweet home!

18. MadTinkerer says:

I want Munch & Wrath. Already have the first two on Steam.

19. SAeN says:

Staring eyes surely?

20. Fabian says:

Does anyone know anything about a specific release date?

21. Navagon says:

WHY HELLO THAR

WELCOME TO TARDSTORE

TARDSTORE STOCK ALL YOU TARD NEED FOR CHRISTMAS ERECTION

ACCEPT SOYABEANS WE IN PAYMENT HELP TO FEED STARVING ORPHAN WORKERS

22. 8-bit says:

I was hoping to get strangers wrath just because having it on pc would be more convenient but for £12 I might as well just dig out the xbox and play it.

23. Teddy Leach says:

Hello, my friend! I certainly feel like a warm!

How can your superior shop help me get warm, sir?

24. Francis Gherkinne says:

What happens if we already own Abe’s Oddysee/Exoddus on Steam? Do we get to gift our additional copies?

25. anduin1 says:

I like the comment in the article about series jumping ship to consoles and forgetting about us PC gamers like we were bad one night stands. It dawned on me that so many series that people love and hold dear have gone on to do this very thing, some with dignity by continuing to support it’s base and receiving love back (ie Valve), while others have treated us like open sores and given us scraps (Bethesda, Im looking at you and even you Blizzard after the Activision merger).