Promised Lands: Minecraft BiomeTerrain Mod

By Quintin Smith on December 17th, 2010 at 8:20 am.

Games: Best.

Bucyruss’ BiomeTerrain Mod is a modification for Minecraft that lets you fiddle with Minecraft’s world generation algorithms- anything from biome size and type to custom trees. Now, that’s probably worth a post in itself, but far more entertaining is this playful competition over on the official Minecraft forums where people are battling to create and post the best settings to use with that mod. I’ve made a gallery of the best ones below, and I’m going to try my hand at some VVVVVV-style naming. Above, we have Zarkauff’s Continental Rift, or what I like to call “Wet Tiers of Sorrow”.

Here’s Reikos’ Sky Gardens, or “I Hope You Brought a Change Of Trousers”.

RiverC’s Victoriox, or “We Are Not All Created Equal”.

Zarkauff’s Times of Sand, or “Dune Bugger”.

Kourru’s Euphoria, or “Do Not Drink And Dick Around With World-Generation Code”.

Atreyu’s Eroded Monsoonal Plains, or “Idiot Savannah.”

formlesstree4′s Underworld, or “Argh”.

And finally Rushen’s The Oceans Blue, or “Settler’s Lament”.

For a closer look at any of these beauties (or to get the code that generated them so you can use them yourself) (OR to take part in the voting), here‘s the link to that forum thread again.

, .

1. SF Legend says:

Since we’re on the topic of minecraft mods, everyone needs to take a look at fancy pack for chairs and things.

Tunips says:

Bloody hellfire. And I thought my glass ziggurat was a pretty good job.

3. KillahMate says:

Awesomeness.

4. dethtoll says:

This is actually almost enough to get me back into the game after quitting it in disgust over some server bullshit a month ago.

5. Armyofnone says:

Wow, some of these are pretty impressive! Maybe Notch will add some in as low-frequency biomes. I’d love to randomly run into one of these as I crest a hill. And nice work with the VVVVVV naming, Quinns!

6. Rich says:

Are these officially sanctioned? I know he’s had trouble with people using mini-maps etc.
    He hasn’t released the mod API yet, right?

7. DrazharLn says:

These are amazing!

Related: my minecraft server will be running with this mod soon.

8. Stephen Roberts says:

I still don’t really know what minecraft is. There are servers? Are there other players like an mmo? What happens? Why happens? How do I change my little icon image on this site? Where’s the loo?

• Quintin Smith says:

…was my diary explaining Minecraft that we ran back in September. The game’s become more developed since then, and officially enters beta next week.

• mcnubbins says:

Hi! I want to know about changing the avatar also!

• KingCathcart says:

You can change your icon at gravatar.com (see this) and the toilets are upstairs, second on the left.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

The toilets at RPS are out of order at present; please use the toilets at Eurogamer.net instead.

• Stephen Roberts says:

Your words are enough. I dun bought it lets see what all the fuss is about for less than nine quid. Unemployed, still buying vidjer games.

I wish you a happy shopping!

• The Tupper says:

@ Stephen Roberts

Yeah I bought Minecraft after reading the ‘mine The Gap’ articles as well. Undoubtedly one of the best purchases I’ve ever made, despite also being skint. Enjoy.

Oh – remember to play the game in conjunction with the wiki, so you have at least an idea of what to do on your first few in-game days.

9. Lorieh says:

This has a lot of potential. If Notch adds animals/creatures/monsters that live in the world (bears in cave, that sort of thing) and improves a little bit the survival aspect of the game this could be perfect. Soooo much potential with this game….

10. MikoSquiz says:

Victoriox actually looks like a real subarctic environment. All I’ve seen in vanilla Minecraft so far is temperate environments with some snow slapped on.

11. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Whoa. Neat! I’ve been hoping Notch adds a terrain modifier/generator to Minecraft, but this’d work as well.

12. kastanok says:

Woh, I dare so some of those are actually beautiful. Certainly wonder-full.

13. Mike says:

That’s brilliant! I hope this gets its own mod page, similar to the texture packs. Some lovely ones in there.

14. Wilson says:

This is some awesome stuff and makes me really excited for the future of minecraft once full modding support is in. I’ve just been playing around with this mod (http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=86929) which adds a bunch of animals (like lions, bears, horses and ogres) and it makes an amazing difference to how fun the game is. The ogres can break down your walls, and it was brilliant the first time they smashed a hole in my stone wall. Makes the night more of a threat now there’s something that can destroy your stuff.

• Urthman says:

Also Wolves and Unicorns!

(Hear that Wulf? Wolves in Minecraft!)

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

These are just… wow. Amazing.

16. Navagon says:

WHY HELLO THAR!

WOMEN SAY YOU NOT TARD ENOUGH FOR THEM?

BUY TARD FROM TARDSTORE! 100% PURE TARD REAL FROM STARVING ORPHANS!

GO LIKE TARD ALL NIGHT ON REAL STALLION!

• Groove says:

I seem like a smart customer, so I’ll take a dozen.

• Navagon says:

YOU THANK FOR CUSTOMS

PLEASE GO TO TARDSTORE AND FEED ALL PERSONAL DETAILS INTO TARD’O'MATIC FOR INSTANT TARD EFFECT

TARDSTORE: MAINTAIN YOURSELF THROUGH ERECTION OF A TARD

17. Urthman says:

Maybe it’s so obvious from all the screenshots and videos that it doesn’t need to be said, but I often think that when people talk about Minecraft they don’t say enough about how amazing Notch’s terrain generating code is.

Even without mods like this, the terrain–and especially the enormous sprawling caverns–are more fun to explore than most hand-made environments in most video games. Even if you play on “peaceful” mode with no monsters, just exploring caverns and looking for ore is much more fun and engaging than I would have believed.

• Poindexter says:

As far as world-generation goes, sometimes I catch myself wishing he would go to the Dwarf Fortress extreme complete with thousands of years of history.

18. dadioflex says:

I am SO stealing “Idiot Savannah”, dunno for what yet but I’m going to be slipping that into a blog or conversation and I will claim it as my own!!! muhwhahahaha…

It’s flattering.

19. nathanebht says:

The Mo’ Creatures looks real nice! Exactly what was needed.

20. jonfitt says:

All of this kind of scenery needs to have a chance of occurring in the un-modded game!

Since the biomes change I expected more variety, but have actually found more uniformity. The type of terrain has changed but the chances of outlandish formations seems to have dropped off.

Gosh I want to wander through some of those…

21. The Army of None says:

I’ve been fighting with this mod and I can’t seem to quite figure out how it works, unfortunately… am I an idiot savannah?