The Dream Machine pts. 1 & 2 Are Out, Pretty

By Quintin Smith on December 20th, 2010 at 4:36 pm.

Clay: Most sinister of all the building materials.

I’m currently listening to some of Nico’s solo jazz stuff so I’m probably finding indie point’n'click claymation showcase The Dream Machine a little more otherworldly than it is, but it’s still got a lovely, mysterious tone to it. Anyway, yes- chapters 1 and 2 have just been released, with the first being completely free (you could be playing it within 5 seconds via this link to the game’s site) and the second requiring an €11 payment that’ll also get you access to chapters 3, 4 and 5 when they’re released. I’ve been playing for the last half an hour and I’m really impressed. If you’re a fan of adventure games, dreams or clay, check this one out. Cockroach Inc. have done a beautiful job. There are a few trailers out now, but I’ve posted the one with the least spoilers below.

You better believe we’ll be rousing John Walker from the state of bear-like hibernation his sickness has left him in so we can deliver you Wot He Thinks. Until then, let’s see what you think. Go and have a look.

, , .

1. mwoody says:

This is offtopic, but a random question: why is RPS advertising console games? Given your audience, a giant border ad taunting PC owners with 360-only DLC for a popular RPG (New Vegas) seems in bad taste.

I understand your need to support the site, and I’m trying not to be all angry Internet man; it’s ultimately no skin off my allegorical nose. It just strikes me as an unwise use of the space, especially from an advertiser’s point of view.

• Urael says:

1) RPS is partnered with Eurogamer for its ads. 2) Lots of PC gamers ALSO have consoles, so it’s not like the ad is wasted in that sense. 3) That’s a good point….why the heck is this DLC Xbox exclusive?

• mwoody says:

It’s a timed DLC exclusive because Microsoft paid (or otherwise incentivised) Bethesda – and, possibly Obsidian – to do so. And it’s, traditionally, something of a sore point for PC gamers, hence why I’m unsure this, specifically, is a good idea.

• Jambe says:

As Urael pointed out, I don’t think the RPS crew individually vets each ad (that’s EuroGamer’s job). Urael was also right right in pointing out the likely overlap of PC and 360 markets (I have both and know a hundred or so people in my little gaming circle that do as well).

That’s not to say the ad fits with RPS; I prefer my role-playing with a mouse and keyboard,so won’t buy the Xbox DLC if/until it comes to my computer. Sort of miffed that they did the 360-exclusive BS at all (thanks for giving me the finger, Bethsoft).

• Deano2099 says:

Well, Microsoft paid for a timed exclusive, so waiting a few months is the price we pay for being rid of GfWL on Fallout. Good deal methinks.

(Besides, you just know there will be a GOTY edition with all the DLC for £17.99 on Play by October next year anyway).

• Inglourious Badger says:

If it keeps RPS free and running then they can advertise whatever they like. Except forkingshoes.com of course

• adonf says:

This DLC is console-exclusive because of Quinns’ review of New Vegas.

2. Warth0g says:

Hmm it is indeed rather floaty and lovely.. what a shame that its an adventure game, a genre that I will never ever understand the appeal of.. one step away from those awful hidden object games, and not that big a step either …

• matty_gibbon says:

logical puzzles = big step, given the fact that it’s the thing that turns it into an actual game

3. drygear says:

Wait, Nico did jazz? Is it any good? I was under the impression that her only solo music worth listening to was Chelsea Girl (which is a great album).

Lambchops says:

Off topic Nico stuff

I absolutely love the Espers cover version of Afraid. It’s beautiful – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVgRLebBsMY

On Topic Dream Machine stuff

This looks rather pretty, I eagerly await John’s emergence from hibernation and a Wot I Think.

Faldrath says:

If you don’t like The Marble Index, Desertshore and The End you’re a bad person with bad taste. That being said, I have no idea what Quinns means by “jazz” here.

• drygear says:

I’ll check out those albums then.

My favorite cover of a Nico-sung song is Big Star’s Femme Fatale: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mZBCZ32qls
      I like it better than the original.

4. Pemptus says:

Did somebody say CLAY?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3hXr-2NnXU <3 always and forever.

• TNG says:

ah what a great year 96 was: many nights spent playing Neverhood, broken sword, toonstruck and fable. for some reason that I just cannot explain (the clay and the connection to my youth playing with it maybe?) Neverhood is my favourite out of that lot. bloody hell, now you’ve got me all misty eyed…

5. Nick says:

That picture is giving me the fear.

P7uen says:

“Service is our Lift”

Wait is this a clue, meaning you access them through like a service elevator?

Guys, I think this might be Walker’s first ARG adventure game.

Everybody go and fork your shoes and see what happens, report back here.

phlebas says:

Maybe we have to work out what the missing consonants are to progress to the next stage.

sockeatsock says:

Yes yes oh please. The first part was just wonderful. I really hope they offer a downloadable version… I’m not to big on paying for online browser based games.

8. Versipellis says:

The first part was probably my favourite game of 2010, not even kidding. Cannot wait.