Gymkhana With Gasoline Horses

By Jim Rossignol on December 21st, 2010 at 8:54 pm.

Speaking of Codemasters, DiRT 3’s latest videoramic offering is showing off Ken Block talking about “Gymkhana”, which is basically trick-driving an obstacle course in a modified rally car. The video mixes real footage with game footage, so that you can experience the queasy dissonance of virtual light still not quite looking like the real thing. Speaking of things that are funny looking: Ken Block. (Also they should have called it “dIIIrt”, right?)

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. trjp says:

We’ve not had a decent ‘car sideways for points challenge’ game since PGR2 (the cone challenges in 3 and 4 are more memory tests) so I’m stoked about this.

The fact Dirt2 is an ASTONISHINGLY good game already can only help…

• Alfius says:

GRiD had that drift challenge mode, now there was a great game, just about the right balance between anal realism and jump-right-in arcade accessibility. Sequel please codemasters.

• TWeaK says:

Definitely agree about GRiD being awesome. I much preferred it to DiRT myself, but then I’ve always played racing games with a keyboard rather than a joypad or wheel. DiRT has too many jumps to control well on a keyboard – if you steer a fraction of a second too early before you land you’ll end up sideways and rolling. GRiD’s a blast though – give me a prototype race through the mountain circuit in Japan and I’m in heaven.

Supposedly there is a sequel in the works too. This and another TOCA please Codies, then I’ll be a very happy bunny.

stahlwerk says:

It may not look perfectly like reality, but I find the Codie engine’s visuals quite astonishing adequate for real time graphics.

3iRT

3. Snords says:

I think this looks astonishing.

Rikard Peterson says:

No, Diiirt should have been the first game. Then Diirt 2 and finally Dirt 3.

• v.dog says:

No, you’re meant to replace a middle letter, even when it looks nothing like the number- D3rt.

• Nallen says:

The problem with that is that ‘Dert’ kind of works. We all know it’s not meant to work.

Joshua says:

:D

6. Swabbleflange says:

Gymcarna.

7. KauhuK says:

Got the Dirt 2 from earlier steam sale for 5€. Gotta admit it’s a great rally game even though i’m not very fond of the genre. Not sure i’ll be getting this on day one but that remains to be seen.

8. GoodPatton says:

Look’s real perty to me…now squeal!

9. Xercies says:

Ken Block is annoying, but the person i want to die in a fire is Dave Mirra…my god he is unbelievable.

10. jymkata says:

Dammit that has to be a reference to gymkata
    If so, finally, a chance to show a trailer for THE best film ever

11. gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

Dammit, you beat me to it!

12. Mechorpheus says:

I spent a bit of time recently with that WRC 2010 game (which RPS bigged up a bit in preview then forgot about), and although I quiet enjoyed it, it really reminded me how much I’d love a straight-up rally game using codies fantastic tech. A proper CMR6 really. I love the rallying in DiRT2 but all the faffing about in trucks can sod off. And it’s obsession with tell you how great you are. And it’s lack of Nicky Grist.

Although this “Gymkhana” looks interesting, I hope it doesn’t turn out to be as frustrating as some of the drifting events in GRID. And Ken Block doesn’t feature too heavily, I can only tolerate so much of him.

13. Bassism says:

Ken Block is kind of a knob, but I do have to admit he’s an incredibly good driver. His gymkhana videos are just awesome. Favourite moment: In G3, doing doughnuts around a guy moving slowly on a segway. Brilliant.

Slightly more on topic, DiRT 3 looks beautiful, and I will probably have to cave and buy it assuming I have a fancy new computer by the time it comes out.

14. DiamondDog says:

Wow, I never knew Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel was such a great driver.

• Bassism says:

@Diamonddog
      This is totally and entirely off-topic, but do you play Eve under the same name as here? If so, I hate you. If not, then I am amused by your assessment today’s star.

• devlocke says:

Good lord. If that’s your impression of a ‘slack-jawed yokel’, you should really come visit the south(ern U.S.). You would find it an eye-opening experience. That guy’s relatively well spoken and together-looking.

• DiamondDog says:

@Bassim
      I don’t play Eve, no. Although I’m intrigued at what provoked this hatred of my namesake.

@devlocke
      Haha, yeah you could be right. It was just the resemblance that struck me.

15. Thants says:

I suddenly have the overwhelming desire to quench my thirst with a delicious Monster™ brand energy drink.

16. Theoban says:

I’m disappointed by the lack of horses.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

I won’t get out of bed for anything with less than 5 horsepower

17. Vinraith says:

You know, events that amount to “doing stupid shit with your car” in racing games can really just go to hell IMO. I’m sick of being forced to get through “drifting” events in order to get to real racing. I play racing games to race. I’m in it for the sense of speed, the quick reactions and instinctive dodges, and sliding through complex turns at maximum speed. There’s nothing entertaining in the dull, fiddly act of driving really slow and trying to slide around “just right.”

18. Nallen says:

D’rt.

19. Calabi says:

But will it have the stupid menus and the stupid fireworks.

20. Rugged Malone says:

Now if they would only stop forcing us to sit through animated menus that can’t be skipped, for fuck sakes.

21. DigitalSignalX says:

This video needs more Gymkhana. I think the word was only used 3 or 4 times per sentence.