Pig Out On Warsow v0.6

By Jim Rossignol on December 21st, 2010 at 4:41 pm.

You might recall that I had a riot with Warsow last year, and I do intend to make it an RPS Game Club game in the new year, assuming I can sort us out a private server. Well, version 0.6 of the Quake-like fast-paced FPS is out now, with new game modes, new power ups, and a bunch of performance and engine updates. It’s free, too. Worth grabbing, if you’re in the mood for something fast. The community is small and pretty hardcore, but it’s an excellent piece of work, and you will have some great games if you persist.

, .

1. westyfield says:

“I do intend to make it an RPS Game Club game of Christmas”

Fixed it for you.

2. 0xt1 says:

yay

3. ScubaMonster says:

I still love Quake 3, but nobody plays it anymore. There’s almost nobody and I’ve looked on Qtracker, not the in-game browser. Sucks.

Correction: There is a small community left, but almost every game is the freeze tag mod or whatever. Not really a fan of that one.

And yes, I’m aware of Quake Live, but Quake Live sucks.

• egg says:

How come? I mean, I know there are differences between Quake Live and Q3. But what is it that makes you dislike QL?

• ScubaMonster says:

Well the main thing for me is the complete sanitizing of the game. It might not be that big of a deal, but not gibbing people is extremely unsatisfying. Everything about it just seems like Quake Lite. Plus, the mods I do like aren’t available.

Schaulustiger says:

Warsow is pretty good, but I sincerely hate the weak/strong ammo system. Otherwise, it’s an excellent example of a fast-paced, quake-like multiplayer shooter.

5. pupsikaso says:

While there is a dash button that sorta gives you a bit of freedom of movement by allowing you to dodge sideways and jump off walls, it’s still very limited and kinda unintuitive to use (compared to just double tapping a movement key to dodge that way). I find this game to be very restrictive in it’s movements. This feels a lot like a fan remake of quake, but it baffles me why they wouldn’t have tried to improve on the game instead of recreating it completely.

• bakaohki says:

I disagree a bit: there are certain places where one can gain an insane amount of acceleration with dashing, not to mention the race-style servers – still it does felt like quake, or at least quakeworld to me.

• pupsikaso says:

I’m not talking about speed, I’m talking about degree of movement.

6. bakaohki says:

I loved Warsow, but after a couple of days (weeks?) it gets extremely boring and repetitive – probably the same can be said about quake and all the other deathmatch or ctf-centric fps games, but I just grew tired of it – though I was pretty good at it.

Another thing is the console – I really hate that one can do all sort of customizations via console commands (I know, because I did) which DOES give him or her an advantage over the others.

• Tei says:

Total fairness don’t exist. This dude has a mechanical mouse, and a 14” monitor, and this one has a optical mouse and a 22” monitor. This dude have a Pentium II, and this one a Core Duo 2.
      The ability to change graphics, exist so the guy with a 14” monitor and a crappy videocard can play with the same framerate than the guy with the GTX 275. Also exist, so the dude with a Intel can play with his netbook (as oposed not being able to play). If anything, these commands able fariness where originally it don’t exists. The dude with a superpowerfull graphic card will play (probably) with most effects on.
      I doubt these commands give you any gameplay edge, other than smoother framerate, more or less busy screen.

• bakaohki says:

You are wrong sir. Scripts with zoom, automatic weapon switching, occasional rocket jumping, mouse filtering, switchable keyboard schemes, predefined team commands, grenade countdowns, customized guis etc. are not about the size of your display.

• Tei says:

I may agree about excessive use of scripts, but mouse filtering? really?, switchable keyboard schemes?, customized guis??… these are usability features. We are talking about a game with phisics improved for pro players, no one should be scared about a grenade timer script that tell people with a sound wen a grenade is about to explode.

• bakaohki says:

Still I disagree.

7. Tei says:

Make me happy to see a article about Warsow, since is open source and from the quake scene :D
    I use to do thing on the scene (not for warsow) and I still feel something special for anything quake related :D

8. arccos says:

Is the “pretty hardcore” community of the”hate-spewing rage junkies” or “blink-and-your-dead” type?

• bakaohki says:

blink-and-your-dead.

• arccos says:

I think I’ll give it a “shot”, then.

Ha! See what I did there?

• Vague-rant says:

Yeh, that’s not entirely encouraging to be honest. Its been years since I tried a hardcore FPS and I was never “pro” to begin with (not entirely bad either I like to think). But that’s why I’d like an RPS game- there’ll be a chance of an actual fight, or at the very least the benefit of being mocked by someone who will may do so in the form of a poorly formed pun.

• InterFaced says:

I love twitch shooters like this, and I used to be good at them. These days, not so much. I still manage to have a lot of fun with warsow thanks to the clan arena mode. Its pickup team rocket arena, and just as fun as it ever was. There are always a few populated servers running it too.

9. Oak says:

I tried playing a game of Warsow, but all the servers were pact.

10. Bassism says:

I’m pretty horrible at Quake and any and everything Quake-like, but I’d love to dive into an RPS server with presumably other people like me, in addition to all you Quake nuts.