The Long Zoom: Legions Will Fly Again

By Jim Rossignol on December 21st, 2010 at 7:45 am.

Instant Action may be dead, but their games aren’t necessarily buried. Legions: Overdrive announces the intention of the fan community to save Instant Actions’s Tribes-like shooter and to make it better than ever before. It’s losing the browser-based stuff and is going to be relaunched as a standalone client, and could feature new content in the near future. Keep an eye on the website for more news.

__________________

« | »

1. Fixious says:

Thought they wanted to wait a while before advertising this. Oh well, more players won’t hurt.

2. Miker says:

I wasn’t that interested in this, but that picture up there — “Freedom of movement returns” — brings a tear to my eye. Freedom of movement is a huge, huge part of games that’s so often neglected nowadays that I have to try this out.

3. Gnoupi says:

What is funny is that it seems that this is the new “trend”, recently, this “freedom of movement”.

Brink is supposed to let you move the way you want, Crysis 2 as well. Miner Wars (http://www.minerwars.com) is boasting a proud “6 degrees of freedom. The next Tribes is proclaiming a return to the good old movements too.

Interesting to see this trend, after years of shooters designed for consoles, in which you get closer and closer to the ground (“which of these buttons isn’t crouch?”), and the highest you go is an automatic jump over a barrier, it seems that people want to break free from that.

• bakaohki says:

Freedom of movement – it’s so lifelike. I mean freedom AND movement… it’s revolutionary.

4. axed says:

these days anything thats pc only attracts my attention.

… so is this pc only?

5. SF Legend says:

I do miss instant action, it used to be great fun just jumping into a game with a bunch of people. Especially rokkitball, I hope that comes back in some form.

6. tomnullpointer says:

Ballard reference?

7. Thants says:

That first link doesn’t work.