Trapped Dead Reveals Noisy Game Footage

By Jim Rossignol on December 22nd, 2010 at 10:48 am.

Headup Games have sent over a link to their new trailer for “zombie” survival RTS Trapped Dead. The isometric action game pits your team of survivors against people who – somehow! – are dead and yet STILL ABLE TO MOVE. The concept has me terrified. Yep. There’s also some terrifying music, as you will see when you…

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. KauhuK says:

It looks like the UNdead are being controlled in this game.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Yeah, i see what you mean, but I think that is a power being used. The game info lists “seven playable characters” and suggests it plays in a Commandos style.

• elyscape says:

I would love an RTS in which you controlled a bunch of zombies and had to eliminate the survivors. Sorta like playing the AI Director in L4D.

• logcoy says:

You should try the Zombie Master mod for HL2. Unfortunately it is now defunct, but it has one player spawning different zombies and triggering traps, while the other players tries to solve the map´s objectives.

2. Tuco says:

I love the concept but this trailer doesn’t sell the gameplay very well.
    It looks repetitive as hell.

El_MUERkO says:

Interesting.

4. BrendanJB says:

Wow…

You know, I’m all for some heavy music, I loves me some Isis, Mastadon, etc. But fuck… it doesn’t take a genius to see that it completely doesn’t fit with the game. Slow, tactical, squad based gameplay doesn’t exactly scream “FUCK YEAH HEAVY METAL ROOOAARRRRRR”.

Apart from that, the trailer doesn’t reveal anything about what you will be doing in the game. Do you control a squad? Can you find weapons, items, upgrades to equip your character with? Is there more to do than just hit zombies very slowly?

I don’t know, maybe I’m being too critical.

Riaktion says:

Nope. You’re not.

• DJ Phantoon says:

ANY Judas Priest would be too much for this, besides maybe “Before the Dawn”. And Judas Priest runs the gamut of metal, from sorrowful ballads to what’s pretty much death metal (except their singer can still sing)

Should’ve gone the safe route and had nothing but classical music, say Chopin, Brahms, Mozart, and of course the gold standard for zombies and horror Beethoven.

• Bret says:

Adagio for strings.

You know that’d be good trailering.

• DrazharLn says:

How about this?

I think that although that and adagio for strings are ok, this particular track fits best.

• Gabe McGrath says:

Tip to devs:
      If your game trailer features music in the style of “FUCK YEAH HEAVY METAL ROOOAARRRRRR”…

(1) I will stop watching the trailer after a few seconds.
      (2) I will not, will not, will not download or buy your mod or game. Ever.

Your move, creeps.

5. raytracerat says:

I dunno… but for me it looks like loads of selecting and clicking that doesn’t really do anything.
    And music is completely out of place. Game itself may be good though, I would love to play slow tactical zombie bashing.

6. JuJuCam says:

I like the idea of a Zombie RTS but it needs to be more Rogue Survivor and less StarCraft with zombies.

My ideal Zombie RTS would be an indirect control game like Majesty or Sacrifice, with survivors leading independent lives and having a fair chance at just wigging out and needing discipline. You might directly control a leader and try to make decisions about what course of action would be best for survival in terms of places to hole up, how to barricade, and how to use resources including ammo and food, but your crew have their own ideas and needs etc.

It doesn’t do modern zombie lit justice if it doesn’t create opportunities or possibilities of horrific betrayal amongst the humans.

• bob_d says:

Yeah, this is not the zombie RTS I was looking for… I’d like to see strategic decisions about whether to stay put where it’s been made safe, versus exploration and the search for supplies and survivors, the ability to build fortifications to defend locations against the horde, etc. Guess I’ll just have to keep working on my own version.

7. Om says:

Any word on that Dead State game that was flagged up a few months ago? That looked classy

• The Pink Ninja says:

Go check out their forums. I joined up after RPS talked about them and there are few threads there that don’t have one of the Devs posting in it.

There was a good developer thread recently on an example weapon, the kitchen knife that gave everyone a good idea of how weapons would work:

Items can break but only if they’re improvised, they can do more or less damage to a zombie depending on type, they have a silence rating…

Looks good, though there still aren’t many screen-shots and no video.

• RadioactiveMan says:

Yes! Dead State is my most anticipated game at the moment. WANT

8. The Pink Ninja says:

Guh, Tubedubber and Hawaii Five O please

9. derf says:

I’m extremely interested in this title, but this trailer doesn’t really say much.

10. xrabohrok says:

I saw the jail cell screen there and thought it was going to be a ghostmaster sequel. Dammit.

11. kulik says:

Oh c’mon. Hitpoints and healthbars? I want real damage modeling. I want to see that zombie brain smashed not because the code says so, but because the energy of that flying baseball bat, striking his head is big enough to crack its skull. And scoring a critical hit?! Why can that zombie tear the liver of that poor chap and start eating it, that what i call critical. …guess im just spoiled by dwarf fortress.

12. Italia says:

Looks to me like if them there were real zombies they’d be harvesting brains a lot better, I reckon.

Looks pretttttty slow.

13. bastronaut says:

Seems like they figured out how to auto-generate user accounts ^^^

Also, isometric may not be what you meant, exactly. The project is perspective, but top-down.

14. thebigJ_A says:

I wonder how similar this will be to the upcoming zombie survival rpg Dead State? That one I’m looking forward to. Seems like Fallout 1 or 2 but with zombies. And a safehouse you have to return to, upgrade, and defend.

15. BobsLawnService says:

Am I the only person who is all burned out on zombies. It’s time for a new fad to be run into the ground

16. Daave says:

I was hoping it’d be a base management game a la dungeon keeper.

17. LoLAdriankat says:

Ugh, this is the stuff that makes extreme metal look bad. You’re supposed to play Autopsy to zombies tearing humans apart, not this modern mumbo jumbo. But even then, the gameplay looks awfully slow and clinical for Autopsy.

This game’s just cannon fodder until Dead State comes out.

18. Araxiel says:

Isn’t that this game that was followed by some German reporters? If I recall right, I had seen some guy with a glove drawing special zombies (aka Special Infected). So there is the possibility that this game has more variety than the trailer (and the lyrics of the song, “AAAAAAHHHHHHH….AAAHHHHHHH”) show.