Wings Of Liberty Liberated: StarCraft II Demo

By Quintin Smith on December 22nd, 2010 at 9:01 am.

Nuke, nuke! Rhymes with book. Sort of.

To celebrate achieving a place in our advent calendar, Blizzard has released a demo of their hot young RTS StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty. It contains the first 3 missions of the game’s single-player campaign, plus the chance to slap around the AI in skirmish mode. No online shenanigans, sadly. Get it here. Alright, so I don’t have “evidence” or “a source saying” that this is because of our advent calendar, but I do have my gut impulse, which is a powerful thing and leads me around like a horse on a leash and has yet to be wrong. Anyway, I’ve put a video of Day9 doing his commentary thing after the jump. If you haven’t seen the state of the SC2 match commentary community, take a look.

Blizzard, if you want to sue me for libel you can do so at the usual address. Bluesnews, thanks for the tipoff.

, .

1. Rich says:

Damn. Two weeks earlier and I would’ve actually been able to try it before Christmas. Still, if I don’t actually get SC2 for said solar festival, I’ll be downloading it come January.

2. phosgene says:

Day9 is my hero.

3. P7uen says:

Was that video in English?

I’m up for the single-player demo, but I think any attempt to penetrate the multiplayer world presented in the video will result in braindeath for myself.

4. Rinox says:

I haven’t played in 2 months or so…anyone know if Zerg are actually a viable option now?

Judging by the vid, Terran strategy hasn’t changed much though. Reaper harass followed by MMM balls…the horror.

• Thants says:

Yeah, Zerg are definitely more competitive now. It was never really that bad though, unless you were a professional player. I’ve been playing Zerg since the beginning and I never felt all that underpowered.

• BooleanBob says:

Definitely thought you two were the same commenter. If I now discover that Thants’ avatar isn’t Julian Barratt my morning will have been ruined.

• Rinox says:

Haha – WHO SAYS WE AREN’T!!

…just kidding.

@ Thant;

Yeah, you could still win with Zerg against Protoss and even against Terrans in the early game, but once a good Terran opponent made it past the first minutes it was pretty much game over for me. MMM balls were almost impossible to counter with the Zerg’s early to mid-game arsenal.

• Mman says:

As far as I know the only real problem Zerg are having right now is early pressure from two barracks by Terran; they build a certain amount of Marines, then push out with some SCVs (either a small amount whose loss is balanced by MULES, or completely all-in) and hit at a time where Zerg is extremely vulnerable. The problem is that the Terran build is quite versatile, so if the Zerg overreacts Terran can just not push out, expand and be way ahead economically, so it’s pretty much a lose-lose for Zerg as things are. It’s hard to tell whether it’s a balance issue or whether someone will “solve” it and find an easy way to counter it though. Zerg seems fine beyond that.

That’s also why Day9 talks about Dimaga being wary of two rax a lot at the start of the video.

• pkt-zer0 says:

You’re supposed to complain about siege tanks, as that’d be more believable. Zerglings and banelings should be more than enough for infantry.

• Rinox says:

More believable? Thank you for your comment, oh great loremaster.

• pkt-zer0 says:

More believable?

Yes. More in line with reality. Citing a unit that got significant nerfs would make it easier to sell a 51:49 advantage as an insurmountable one.

• Psychopomp says:

MM balls are indeed a huge problem *early game.*

5. Rii says:

Umm, haven’t folks been able to play the entire campaign for free via the Guest Pass system since Day 1?

• Rich says:

Yes, if someone gives you a guest pass.
      It’s also time limited, so once you start, you’re going to have to devote a lot of time to it if you want to get very far. Not feasible for those of us with jobs and families.

A traditional demo is perfect for me, as I already know I want it, but I’d like to test it on my system first.

• vodkarn says:

I really wish that I’d done this. I find the multiplayer to be not worth playing often, and the singleplayer took me all of three days. And I’m no RTS wizard.

6. Sagan says:

The video again convinced me that I don’t want to play the game in multiplayer. But damn it is a good game to watch. I used to have a habit of watching Warcraft 3 tournaments, and maybe I should get back into that with StarCraft 2…

• Ysellian says:

If you want I could post the “average” starcraft 2 gamer replays to give you an indication of how far ahead pro gamers really are. Seriously Starcraft 2 may seen daunting at first, but once you get the basics nailed it ultimately comes down to who’s strategy was best in the lower leagues. Watch the first of the newbie tuesday casts by Day9 to give you an idea on what the basics are and you’re set to become a decent gamer.

• zergrush says:

I haven’t played the game properly in a couple of months, but the recent GSL was a blast to watch. Lots of great matches and the commentors did a pretty good job too.

7. PaulMode7 says:

Much as I now enjoy Day9′s stuff, I think GomTV is a much better representation of quite how sophisticated and accessible SC2 coverage has become.

Obviously, he’s extremely knowledgeable, a great commentator and an entertaining personality in his own right, but I’d recommend anyone who’s never watched SC2 before to check out Tasteless and Artosis on GomTV first; they’re less technical and less…aggressively zany!

I think SC2 is probably the first game that has ever existed where it’s realistically possible to be a fan of watching it without being an advanced player. Day9′s commentary is geared at people who want to become better players (which is quite a large percentage of the community) but I think it could alienate those who aren’t as interested in the technical side.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I think Day9′s videos aren’t targeted at starting level players in general.. But yeah. It also gives you a feel for what a non–gamer might feel when looking at Starcraft 2 or this video. The lingo, the genre assumptions.. I can imagine total and utter befuddlement.

Also, nice game.

• D says:

I will never play SC2 but I really enjoyed watching the GSL season 3 tournament on GomTV (but via. the free restreams on Justin.tv). Tasteless and Artosis are great casual level commentators, and the matches in that tournament were crazy up until the end.

• psyk says:

I don’t play sc2 and enjoy watching them

8. Thants says:

I never really understood why seeing the pros play scared people away from playing multiplayer. I mean, you can’t dunk like a pro basketball player but that doesn’t mean you can’t play a casual game with your friends.

• karry says:

With your FRIENDS. Not with people who, by all accounts, do this for (read instead of) a living.

• pkt-zer0 says:

@karry: Unless you plan to move to Korea and enter the GSL, you’re not going to be playing against the top-level pros. So, what exactly are you on about?

9. karry says:

Great, a demo. Not even a year has passed. And i’m supposed to fill out some form ? And then i dont even get to know how large the demo is, because you’re downloading some online installer ? When did you switch to the dark side, Blizzard ?

10. kikito says:

Opportunity lost to link the awesome “Trumpets!” episode.

Here you go:

Watch the first 3-4 minutes.

You are welcome. Merry Christmas.

11. patricij says:

Hello! I feel warm all over already…

12. Fumarole says:

[...]but I do have my gut impulse, which is a powerful thing and leads me around like a horse on a leash and has yet to be wrong

A horse on a leash is quite the amusing thing to picture in my mind. I can even see the spiked collar and nametag with home address in case it gets lost.

13. Jetsetlemming says:

Man, that video annoyed me. It was really entertaining right up until the end, where as per usual, the guy who thinks he’s going to lose quits long before the actual winning is done, completely cutting off the climax of the video. These people need to be smacked around a bit and forced to be good and proper entertainers.

• Rhin says:

Man, comments like this really annoy me. Not surrendering a game that both you and your opponent know is already over is pretty bad sportsmanship.

In Go, continuing while far behind is almost universally considered bad manners. (Presumably, you are playing just to waste your opponent’s time). See: http://senseis.xmp.net/?path=BadHabits&page=ContinueWhileDozensOfPointsBehind

But then again, in sports, you never give up halfway. So I guess the question is whether Starcraft is more tennis or chess.

• Teal Hydra says:

Chess. You can be two sets down in tennis with your opponent one point away from winning the game and still, technically, have the possibility of winning. If you’re 100 supply and two bases down in Starcraft, winning is functionally impossible because your opponent’s lead prevents you from catching up.

Chess and Starcraft are games of resources and surrendering makes sense in them. It does happen at awfully anticlimactic times in some cases though.

• Ysellian says:

@Jetsetlemming: You’ll get used to the GG and in time it will turn out like the end whistle in a match.

14. ChampionHyena says:

THE THOUGHTHAMMER

15. Magrippinho says:

Quickly, put up Diablo III as the next game in the advent calendar and see if Blizzard bites and releases a demo for that too!

16. malkav11 says:

Yay! The first three missions of the campaign! The most thoroughly traditional, uninteresting bit of the entire game! Surely, this will sell your game. Yes.

17. WulfTheSaxon says:

As an owner of the StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty Collector’s Edition, I’m actually disappointed by this demo. Just the first 3 missions of the standard campaign? No new content? The original StarCraft had a small new campaign in the demo… A possible lack of free bonus content was precisely what worried me when it was revealed StarCraft II would be released in three parts.

While StarCraft II may have approximately as many missions as the original in its main campaign, at the moment at least, it lacks any free bonus campaigns like the Precursor and Enslavers campaigns for SC1.