And… Back On January 3rd, 2011

By Jim Rossignol on December 24th, 2010 at 4:28 pm.

There might be a couple of minor updates during the next week, but we’re otherwise slumbering until the 3rd, when we get cracking for another year. And it’s going to be a really significant year, too. You should see my list of Stuff To Write About. It’s awesome.

On that note, I just wanted to say a couple of things. Firstly, thanks to everyone who subscribes, or who has donated cash at any point in the past. The money provided by readers has genuinely kept this site alive over the previous couple of years. We bought a new server with the money, and pretty much survived on that cash while we transitioned to having our advertising handled by Eurogamer. Subscribers should expect a huge bundle of competitions and other exclusive content in the new year, as well as a more regular newsletter! We have tonnes of games to give away and other stuff, too. So that’s a thanks to all of you.

Secondly, yes, the site is finally, thankfully, paying for us to work on it. That was always the intention, and boy was it hard work making it happen. If that profitable status changes anything then it’s that we can now focus on our efforts here, and won’t have to spend quite so much time forging wordthinks for other publications. 2011 should be the year when RPS really hits its stride, and I can’t wait to share that with you lot.

Thanks for reading, and here’s to the future.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Limes says:

Hurrah RPS, my favouritist internetblogmathon on the webs. I commend you for another year of quality journalism!
    I’ve subscribed for the last year and a bit, made me feel like I was contributing something good in this world, although it’s a tie up between whom needs my money more, baby puppies or John, however John won out my morales.
    Shame I’m stopping now, student budget just plunged into oblivion =[
    Kudos to you all, heres to another year!

stahlwerk says:

Dear Hivemind, fellow commentators,

merry festivities!

2011 – we live in the future now. I’m glad RPS is here to filter and compile only the best and comically worst related to digital entertainment on IBM PC* and compatibles. Keep up the most excellent work!

And comment-chaps, keep “What a shame”ing in the comments and generally being the most decent, well-tempered and well-spoken of all in the Kingdom of Internet!

*) Do mark August 12th in your calendar, it’s the IBM PCs 30th birthday!

Man Raised by Puffins says:

Merry Baby Jesus Day, internet folk!

4. Dobleclick says:

Congrats on being profitable!!

5. SanguineAngel says:

Merry Christmas guys, hope you enjoy a well deserved restt.

Thanks for all your work thus far in creating a genuinely great website and housing perhaps the /only/ mature, generally polite and honestly communal community on the internets.

It’s a cyber home away from home and long may it continue!

Acosta says:

Happy Christmas gentlemen, really happy to see that RPS is finally profitable. It´s, obviously, your work and your effort that made it possible, but I can’t help to feel a bit proud of being an early subscriber and clicking your ads when the page only generated incomes for some pints, it makes me feel that, sometimes, when you want something to happen and you have the talent and the will to pull it off, it can really happen.

Cheers.

(Note: I don’t believe anything you say about the newsletter anymore :P I still love ya)

Joshua says:

Wish I could become a subscriber, but I am too young to have paypal… yet :D.

8. shyguy badman says:

The best PC gaming website in the world without a shadow of doubt. (Can anyone direct me to a better one?) Great writing, great opinions, great games. Even the hated, lambasted and stupid comments pages are a good read!!! What the hell am I supposed to do til Jan 3rd…. Who is going to guide me to gaming bliss for these few days…. Lucky that this time of year there is a bountiful selection of food to get me through these torrid times. How do the 4 of you manage to do anything? I barely have time to read this website, play games and/or socialise and work! Respect due.
    Biggup.

Στέλιος says:

So that is what you blokes look like. I always thought that Quintin sounded like he would be the one with the serious sideburns. Does Jim sound like the Major from Fawlty Towers when not in RPS-character?

Thanks for a great year of coverage of games and great articles and may this site (one of my favourites naturally) get better and better!

10. Gassalasca says:

Is it odd that I keep refreshing RPS as often as I normally do, even though I know there won’t be any new posts for the next seven days?

11. enshak says:

Happy christmas. Good to hear this great site is paying its way, now i can stop buying those shoes that you advertize.

12. Hybrid says:

Merry Christmas everyone!
    And while we wait till January 3rd… fancy a text adventure?

> i
    You are carrying: a rock, a paper, and a shotgun (loaded).

To the north, the large, imposing gates of Castle Shotgun stand before you unguarded by the usual patrols.

• Hybrid says:

(Feel free to add more commands / descriptions! This is at least better than more shoe selling spam bots!)

> open gates

They large gates swing open, revealing a brightly lit entrance hall. A staircase leads upwards.

13. Hybrid says:

The Sunday Papers

Sundays are for attempting to play Amnesia: The Dark Descent, waking up late to find half your presents from the past days festivities replaced with cardboard cutouts, and compiling a short list of (mostly) game-related clickable letters while trying to avoid linking to a classic 1980’s heavy metal song.

Super Crate Box was named Bytejacker’s indie game of the year. Congratulations to the fine folks at Vlambeer. Impressive work.

Monaco developer Andy Schatz has returned from his trip to Asia meaning Monaco is now being worked on again.

Can’t tell the difference between iron ore and redstone? Always confusing the furnace with a storage chest? Not sure how to make those diamond boots? Perhaps this crafting guide will be of use.

Jim Rossignol’s This Gaming Life: Travels in Three Cities can be read in its entirety online. A wonderful book that will tide you over until RPS comes back in the new year. Unless, of course, you read through it in a day or two.

There’s a very impressive post over on Metafilter about Starship Titanic, an adventure game by Douglas Adams. Links to the game itself, extra content, instructions on how to run the game on Windows, Mac, and Linux, and an entire thirteen part video playthrough are available.

The Mysterious Explorations of Jasper Morello. A VERY impressive animated short film in a unique silhouette art style.

“We shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender!

Failed.

14. Squirrelfanatic says:

Merry Christmas, Jim

Merry Christmas, Alec

Merry Christmas, John

Merry Christmas, Quintin,

Merry Christmas, Kieron.

Merry Christmas to all of RPS.

15. BobsLawnService says:

I’m a bit late but I hope you folks all have an awesome festive season with family and friends and return refreshed and revitalized to treat us to another stellar year of RPS.

Lambchops says:

Merry Christmas to not only the RPS guys but to all the lovely folks from the comments and forums who make RPS a wonderful place to discuss games, talk nonsense, make shoddy puns and so on. You’re all lovely.

17. PaulOHara says:

Happy Holidays to all of you from a newish reader of the site. I found RPS in 2010 thanks to one Totalbiscuit and have been hooked ever since.

18. adonf says:

Happy Horacemas RPS, commenters and shoe spammers ! This is definitely a great place on the webternet.

And I have one question: how do I unadblock RPS ? Removing filters with rockpapershotgun.com in the address didn’t work.

19. ldemon says:

I didn’t even know you could subscribe! Have a subscription … definitely the best gaming news site on the web atm.

20. wedge99 says:

I’ve been subscribing for about a year now and I love the articles here. Happy Holidays, enjoy your time off you earned it. Look forward to next year and honest opinions about BioWare next year. Should be interesting.

21. sbs says:

I tried subscribing, but paypal says i need a credit card to do that.
    hmmm :(

22. Kieron Gillen says:

I wanted to say: Merry Xmas RPS readers. You are very lovely.

KG

23. Gassalasca says:

<3 @ KG

24. Hasslmaster says:

This site finally made me realize it’s OK to pay for content on the internet. I still pay a lot more for a magazine that gives me far less content and ingenuity in comparison.