The RPS Important Advent Calendar 2010

By RPS on December 30th, 2010 at 10:40 am.

Looking for something to read? Peruse our calendar of the year’s best PC games!

It’s back! The ultimate Christmas list of games on the PC that were okay, or better: The RPS Advent Christmas Games Calendar Of Games! Yes, it’s the countdown to the origination day of RPS Sponsor Deity, Horace The Endless Bear, the Space God who gave man the gift of video computer systems. Praise him, praise him.

John drew this. All glory to the Walkerman.
We will be updating the calendar with click functionality day by day. Amazing technology for all.

(And if you just want a list of the games, you’ll find them below…)

Day 1: Battlefield: Bad Company 2.
Day 2: Just Cause 2.
Day 3: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
Day 4: Space Funeral.
Day 5: Neptune’s Pride.
Day 6: Dead Rising 2.
Day 7: VVVVVV
Day 8: Digital: A Love Story.
Day 9: Bioshock 2.
Day 10: Recettear: An Item Shop’s Tale
Day 11: Plain Sight.
Day 12: Dragon Age: Awakening.
Day 13: Alien Swarm.
Day 14: Metro 2033.
Day 15: Warhammer 40,000 Dawn Of War 2: Chaos Rising
Day 16: Sleep Is Death.
Day 17: Desktop Dungeons.
Day 18: Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light.
Day 19: R.U.S.E.
Day 20: Super Meat Boy.
Day 21: Starcraft II: Wings Of Liberty.
Day 22: Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
Day 23: Mass Effect 2.
Day 24: Minecraft.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, and all that.

__________________

« | »

1. Lambchops says:

Hooray for Horace. His infinity is awe inspiring.

2. Jonathan says:

Yay for the advent calendar!

3. SquareWheel says:

THE PICTURE WON’T CLICK

4. dartt says:

Hail Horace, bringer of games.

5. terry says:

If Super Meat Boy isn’t hidden in there somewhere I will eat my hat (and someone else’s, for good measure).

6. James says:

This is SO fancy! Praise Horace.

7. TooNu says:

Weee! the RPS advent!! awesomeness :D

8. Auspex says:

Yay! Good drawing John though Alec looks even more like a WoW gnome than usual (love you Alec!) and you’ve made Quinns much hotter than he is IRL.

9. SAeN says:

I swear I can see one end of Horace, praise be his name.

10. Ian says:

So just how infinite is Horace?

• John Walker says:

Well, he definitely goes all the way up that chimney.

• Jonathan says:

The question becomes “How long is the chimney?”

• MarkSide says:

Surely no chimney can be long enough to contain all of Horace’s bountiful infiniteness!

I think the presence of the chimney serves the allegorical nature of the picture. We can only see Horace’s head and shoulders poking out of the fireplace, echoing the fact that, though we may see a little of Horace, the vastness of his infinite being cannot be grasped by our meagre human minds and therefore remains hidden. For, while Horace extends forever, we are constrained by the laws of the universe, being, comparatively, as 2-dimensional faces trapped behind glass.

• Spacewalk says:

He’s only infinite when you look at him.

• The Hammer says:

Perhaps it’s the chimney of City 17′s Citadel?

11. UW says:

Ahah, awesome. I was just thinking earlier today that I hope you do another one of these. It was actually around this time last year that I discovered RPS and started reading it.

Still… what happened to Optimus Prime?

12. Optimaximal says:

Is Kieron the Ghost of RPS past or is he actually just very very pale?

13. sonofsanta says:

All hail Horace!

I can’t believe Kieron still gets a stocking though. He better get coal in his! Or a serial killer. Not because I wish him any harm, just that he seems to like them, and having a little pet one to follow him round like a little MMO thing would make him smile, I think.

14. David says:

Praise be to the Ceaseless Ursine Master of All!

15. Man Raised By Puffins says:

ALL GLORY TO THE ENDLESS BEAR

(Also, Hooray for another advent calender! Shame there’ll be no vicarious enjoyment of Fairtrade chocolate this time)

16. panther says:

praises to the space bear god

17. stahlwerk says:

If Horace enters your house through the chimney, is He really ever completely in your house? Can His endlessness ever be understood?

Oh Horace, send us your Angelbears with gifts of steam sales and enough free time. I pray to Thee for 75% off Mass Effect 2, and a week of university downtime in January 2011.

18. trooperdx3117 says:

Good lord CLICK TECHNOLOGY! Horace has been generous this year.

19. The Sombrero Kid says:

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

20. strange headache says:

What good is the calendar, if all the articles it links to are posted on the top of the blog-list anyway, while the calendar gets pushed back on to page 2,3,4… never to be seen again? Am I missing something here?

• stahlwerk says:

My guess is that it will be put in the feature header on the top of the page and stay there until the new year, when the monster comes out again, to devour RPS, as is its annual wont.

Edit: oh look there it is already (the header, not the monster).

21. adonf says:

Nice ! This picture could make the winter solstice festivities a bit less shit this year, so thank you RPS and thank you Horace the Endless Bear for the gift of videogames.

But why is there a picture of Pete Townshend and some dudes on the wall ?

22. Rei Onryou says:

Hail to Horace! May his worship be as unending as his form.

Hmm…what gift should I offer to an infinite deity? Milk and cookies doesn’t quite seem appropriate…

23. Raziel_aXd says:

Will Fallout: New Vegas be in here?

24. Isometric says:

Horray for Horace The Endless Bear ad infinitum!

25. RQH says:

Hail Horace! May Your Endlessness be ever reflected in our entertainment.

26. DrazharLn says:

I initially thought that Horace’s hat must be stapled or glued to his head, but as He is infinite, perhaps He is merely using hidden portions of Himself to support the hat.

I predicted the return of Horace, am I not a prophet?

27. kwyjibo says:

The only breakout PC smash this year has been Minecraft, fucking Minecraft, like Second Life but with fewer sex dragons.

28. Arathain says:

Oo, I love the Advent Calendar. I should hope that Horace will grant that some of the games hidden within shall be talked about in that dialogue/chat-log format you chaps sometimes do when more than one of you has played a game. Those are my favourite, excepting of course all the other things that are my favourite.

29. Kronyx says:

Weee, time goes really fast these days. I remember the last years advent calendar like it just happened yesterday

30. MrEvilGuy says:

My Predictions:

Day 1: Battlefield Bad Company (edit: OMG I GOT IT RIGHT!!!)
    Day 2: God of Thunder
    Day 3-22: Lord of the Rings Online
    Day 23: Fly Pig
    Day 24: James Willock
    Day 25: ~DNE

31. The Dark One says:

I couldn’t find any numbers through the fog of jpeg artifacts!

32. MajorManiac says:

The RPS advent calender. Its like putting on a comfy pair of slippers, grabbing a nice hot-chocolate and watching it snow outside whilst sitting by an open fireplace.

33. Tom Camfield says:

Yes yes yes, you beautiful lot. Another RPS Christmas on its way. Wahoo! :)

34. Wizlah says:

Fact. On December the first, whilst unclogging my brain with coffee, I suddenly thought – will RPS have an advent calendar up today? and they did !?!? I SO HAPPY.

Also, I predict minecraft to be number one with a pickaxe.

• Chris D says:

What are the rules here? Are unreleased games eligible? If it is then I’d have to agree but then what happens once it’s released for real, can it win again?

35. Dataflashsabot says:

Only number 1 clicks for me :(

36. sonofsanta says:

You have completely abused Horace’s Endless Gift by failing to update the click functionality even once. For shame! Horace would be endlessly displeased.

YES I AM OBSESSED WITH CLICKING OK THANK YOU

37. K says:

You forgot to update this, only 1 will click. I am so sad :(

38. Dzamir says:

Day 4 is on Day 24

39. panther says:

in true rps style the writing is brilliant but the website tech sucks

never change

40. Sobric says:

Ahhhh full click functionality. Hail Horace!

Also, anyone doing any Games of the Decade stuff? How were the ’10s in gaming terms?

41. Fumarole says:

Whoa, time warp.

42. Ergates_Antius says:

Is Horace Hungry?

43. Conor says:

Horace appears to be thirsting for his rightful place on the front page. All hail his infinite glory.

44. Rane2k says:

Played/bought 11 out of 24, who´s got more?:-)
    (Might become 12, I´m contemplating getting Amnesia)

45. Rane2k says:

Played/bought 11 out of 24, who´s got more?:-)
    (Might become 12, I´m contemplating getting Amnesia)

(Screw you Spam-O-Tron, not even a new email address works???)

• Stephen Roberts says:

I’m at 9/24 unless you count owning call of pripyat as enough to say I’ve played it. But I think it was utter suck.

GOTY for me would have to go to Just Cause 2 for being so much fun. I haven’t laughed so much in ages and despite the ‘touch of the clone brush’ being prevalent across the world, my creativity wasn’t lacking. Between friend and myself we must have invented a decent 30 stupid mini games that became all consuming gigglefests.

I also feel quite unexcited about minecraft (one I’ve played). I think the only compelling thing about it is the ‘feel’ of the world. It has the tactility of popping bubblewrap, if that was any fun at all and if there were hallucinogenic spores in the bubbles. Pop, inhale, smile, repeat. Luckily it’s in beta. Throw in a few billion more materials and combinations and a better hierachy of tool and gear improvement and some sort of big boss man and you’ve got yourself a fantastic trippin’ gamebox.
      Or just let me craft a rocket launcher.

Also dying in Minecraft was fucking terrifying compared to dying in Amnesia. In Minecraft i had something to loose.

• Inglourious Badger says:

I’ve actually played/own 20 of the 24!? And most of them before this came out, frightening how much I must have spent. That said 4 are free and 7 I got for sub-£5 thanks to steam sales/pay-what-you-wants and generally cheap games being awesome this year.

My favourite? Amnesia. With Minecraft and Call of Pripyat completing top 3

• Kieron Gillen says:

I’m 17/24, which is better than I’d have thought.

KG

• Jim Rossignol says:

16 for me, which I think it a bit worse than last year.

• Lambchops says:

Played 10 bought 12 (still to start Awakening and Lara Croft). Favourites were Mass Effect 2, VVVVVV, Minecraft, Desktop Dungeons and Amnesia.

• The Innocent says:

I’m at 23/24, which gives me both a sense of pride and a mild feeling of emptiness.

• Vinraith says:

I own 11/19 (5 are free, so don’t count), and have played 8/24.

• Laneford says:

I own 16/24 which is rather impressive by my standards.

That I’ve only played 5/24 for more than say, an hour, speaks volumes about my current gaming time allocation.

• mpk says:

Bought one, downloaded one, got a link to another in my favourites, so that makes, three

Go me.

• DigitalSignalX says:

Only 6/24 – yet I can confidently claim I spent nearly 30-40% of my conscious hours this year playing games. MMO’s are evil. Very evil.

• Zwebbie says:

Played 3 1/2 out of 24 (Recettear, Super Meat Boy, VVVVVV and a couple hours of free Minecraft), which makes you wonder why I visit this site daily if I’m going to ignore half of the recommendations. That said, I wouldn’t have known any of those if it weren’t for RPS, and I even liked VVVVVV, so mission accomplished, Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

• Nova says:

Hm. If I count the demos (Recettear and RUSE) then I’am also at 20.

Now where is the one who played them all? Quinns?

• stahlwerk says:

played 6, 2 of them demos, own 7.

Started super meat boy yesterday. What a blast!

• Quintin Smith says:

I didn’t play them all, no. That would be maaad. 19 out of 24 for me.

• AndrewC says:

Yes, but how many did you lot *play*? I mean play-play. You know: PLAY.

46. Stephen Roberts says:

Numbers always look pretty when they are in Impact. Or did I mean Hattenschwieler? /w link to correct chainsawsuit comic. Damn Search function of awful.

47. 8-bit says:

How did plain sight get on the list may I ask, I mean its a nice little game but it has problems going back to a steam sale they had a while back when nobody could log on, has it actually recovered since then or is it still on life support?

48. mpk says:

I’m secretly disappointed One Chance didn’t make it onto the list.

49. stahlwerk says:

Yet another comment thread haunted by the ghost of spammers past.

50. Kua says:

Isn’t this missing Civilization V? Sure it wasn’t a remarkable edition to the series. But, its civilization all the same.

Comment on this story