Capsized Looks Swell, Exciting, Difficult

By Quintin Smith on January 3rd, 2011 at 2:42 pm.

Alternative post intro: Here's a 'tip-off' for you!

Capsized is yet another 2011 release that I am sure will entertain anybody who is over-bored (overboard) (DO YOU SEE). Developers Alientrap have released a brand new trailer for their indie platformer featuring platforming, puzzling, battling and death-defying leaps, often all at the same time. Most peculiar! You’ll see what I mean when you watch it below.

Last year when Kieron posted the first Capsized trailer he began hollering about how it was a spiritual successor to ancient BBC Micro game Exile. Both for completion’s sake and because it’s amusing to see the two games side by side, I’ve put a video of it beneath the jump, too.

First, the new Capsized. Bear with this. It all starts going a bit crazycakes after 1:23. “Challenged” indeed.

…followed by 1988 title Exile. Look at that nasty little Space-Bat! He’s not taking no for an answer.

(The Space-Bat makes its debut at 0:44.)

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Atic Atac says:

Exile was awesome. Aquaria was also very Exile-like.

2. SF Legend says:

May I use your Sideways Ram?

3. HeroJez says:

Looks and sounds incredible. I want the soundtrack!

4. fenriz says:

wow. Shooting and moving blocks. Videogaming is a never-ending childhood flashback.

And i remember in Delphine’s Flashback i would take the metro to contact job-givers.

Why was life taken away from this media?

5. Dominic White says:

There was a freeware Exile remake/fangame released not long ago – http://exile.ovine.net/ – by prolific retro-house Ovine.It’s pretty neat, and you should check it out. And yes, it has those Annoying Space Birds too.

Capsized looks great, though. A proper modern update of Exile.

6. sasayan says:

I see jetpacks and grappling hooks, I’m interested.

7. Pani says:

How can they get away with such blatant copying?

It’s disgusting. They’re almost the same game!

8. jaheira says:

That looks beautiful. Also, it looks like Trine.

9. James G says:

Ahh, I remember being interested in this when Kieron first posted about it, good to hear that its still on track. (And to remind me of the name)

10. diziet sma says:

This somehow passed me by on the last post. I am very interested as I have extremely fond memories of Exile on the BBC micro and the version with posher graphics that appeared much later on AGA Amigas.

11. jonfitt says:

Looks great, but it also looks like it gets pretty damn hard.

12. Tei says:

Alientrap is also the company that did Nexuiz. Lee Vermeulen is sure a cool dude :D

Humm… the multiplayer looks like Aquaria meets Soldat

13. DOLBYdigital says:

Agreed that this game reminds me of Aquaria which is fantastic since I absolutely adore that game! So yeah consider me highly interested and basically a day one purchase. Speaking of which, I would love to see an Aquaria sequel….

14. Da Mad Dok says:

Am I the only one who’s reminded just a little bit of Cortex Command by this?

• tanith says:

Nope, same here.

Maybe a little bit more of Soldat than Cortex Commando because the charme of Cortex Commando lies partly in the team-based work and the physics while Soldat is more of a multiplayer game.
      But now that I’ve typed that I realise that Capsized is neither because it seems more like an adventure game.

So it’s kind of a weird mix between Cortex Commando and Aquaria.

15. DOLBYdigital says:

Grrr…. Damn you human robots!
    The joke is getting old although the puma slipper woman still gets a giggle out of me. Seriously though chill unless you are actually trying to get people to go to your crappy site, which if that’s the case then I feel sorry for you.

Comment on this story