En Masse: More Mass Effect 2 DLC Coming

By Quintin Smith on January 3rd, 2011 at 4:24 pm.

It’s true! No details whatsoever just yet, but it’s coming. Bioware has announced that the game’s daily Cerberus Network news updates will stop on January 24th, the one year anniversary of the service, but will resume a week before the final DLC pack and two weeks before Mass Effect 3, which should land this ‘Holiday Season’. See those quotation marks, Bioware? You must imagine them as a pair of tweezers, plucking the American out of this story.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. westyfield says:

Uh, what daily Cerberus Network updates? Do they mean the ‘news’ ticker in the main menu?

2. BooleanBob says:

Announcement: an announcement is to be announced. For more details, see pages 3 through 94.

• Quintin Smith says:

Boolean why are you not wearing your regulation announcement-audience goggles.

• BooleanBob says:

I took them off because they were replacing all the billboards with stuff like CONSUME and OBEY.

Wait.

abhishek says:

In case anyone is interested, all the ME2 Cerberus news updates were archived at this site…

Not only that, each news blurb was presented as a blog post, and people proceeded to comment on them while roleplaying as characters from the Mass Effect universe. So you could have Krogans and Asaris and Turians discussing and arguing politics and economics and all that. It became quite a roleplaying game in and of itself actually. This was all helped by the blurbs themselves, in which Bioware writers would often put out amusing little vignettes that would sometimes spoof events that were really happening on Earth :)

It’s fairly entertaining reading if someone wants to kill some time.

• Cooper says:

That’s… Just… I love gamers.

abhishek says:

Some of the news blurbs are pure genius too…

DC1938, a small garden world circling the red supergiant SM2183 Rua, exploded today in a rare phenomenon called core fusion. The planet’s uranium core collapsed in on itself, igniting a thermonuclear explosion large enough to rupture the planet into several pieces. The shockwave and loss of atmosphere has reportedly killed more than five billion native inhabitants. There is one known survivor: an infant rocketed from the planet in an FTL escape pod picked up by the human cruiser MSV Kent. The inhabitants of the planet, previously unknown to the galaxy, were a spacefaring race who used crystalline matrices for their computing needs. The infant has been taken to medical facilities in the local cluster, where he is breathing gases in a ratio similar to the atmosphere of his home planet: 65% nitrogen, 20% oxygen, and 15% krypton.

• Nalano says:

Great. Now you’ve just taken a good three hours outta my time.

I hate you. Thank you.

4. Optimaximal says:

I suppose the killer questions are:

a) Is this actually Cerberus Network or Paid-For DLC

and

b) Would it really kill them to nominate a few guys to keep up the amusing Cerberus News items?

Yes, ok, we all know the Cerberus Network was a cunning disguise for EA’s Project 10 Dollarpounds, but seriously, if I have to wait for that damn console to open up and connect to the ‘Network’ every time I load the game, at least keep it refreshed.

Can anyone tell I’ve got a replay of the game lined up?

• Delusibeta says:

a) would inevitably be paid-for DLC, although they have confirmed that the PS3’s interactive comic will be getting a PC and 360 port via Cerberus Network. That said, an interactive comic detailing Mass Effect 1’s event really doesn’t merit seven days of (presumably related) news updates, so I’d wager the DLC mentioned would be paid for DLC.

b) They already had only a few guys keeping it running. That said, I wouldn’t be too surprised if they decided to officialise one of the community news streams, although that may cause some canon problems. “John Shepard was found dead this morning…”

5. Navagon says:

It has both crates and guns and a whole new colour: blue. Are you sure this is a DLC? It seems like a complete gaming experience to me.

• Lilliput King says:

Although It’ll obviously look a fair bit like the main game, it seems likely that isn’t a picture of the DLC.

6. Tyshalle says:

Couldn’t really be less interested. Everything Bioware does is great, except when it comes to DLC, in which case it is mostly overpriced terribleness.

Maybe they’re just setting a bad precedent by giving us 80+ hours worth of game content for our $50 with the original games, but when they come out with a 3-hour DLC for $10, it feels like they’re ripping me off. And then when I see the abysmal half-assedness of the DLC, I feel even worse about it.

Big Murray says:

I actually thought Lair of the Shadow Broker was pretty damn good, for a DLC.

7. Bfox says:

Gah, more DLC? I already finished that game…

That’s the last time I pay full price for a game, going to wait for the GOTY editions instead from now on so I have all the patches and DLC at once, not to mention the discount…

Works wonders for the Fallout series…

• Stephen Roberts says:

If I wanted to buy either the borderlands or fallout 3 DLC stuffs I would be financially better off buying the GOTY’s and giving the other copy of the original game to a friend. It’s… annoying? Retarded? Made up word?

DLC’s aren’t entirely welcome, if I’m honest. I like the opportunity it provides for game developers to MONATIZZE (Momacide) further work for the game but can’t they just do ye olde expansion pack like before? Four dlcs pretty much equals an expansion pack right? Or maybe GOTY’s could come sooner but at a higher price number.

• Bfox says:

Agreed, and to be fair, I can’t think of any DLC content I’ve actually enjoyed playing.
      Oh wait I take that back, the skins for Killing Floor were actually a nice addition.

It’s nice these guys who make good games are getting more money, but it would be nice if they perhaps asked what people would like to see being made? I don’t want to stomp on anyone’s creative freedom but I guess our wallets tell them enough?

8. Vinraith says:

Generally speaking the cost/gameplay benefit on Bioware DLC seems to be pretty poor. I wonder if there’s any chance of a “DLC pack” being released after this final piece, for those of us that have the base game and might be interested in the DLC if it were more reasonably priced.

• ilyearer says:

Why do I keep seeing all this complaining about pricing for the DLC? So far, only one has been priced at $10: Lair of the Shadow Broker. LotSB is remarkably satisfying in both how long it is and the story it tells.

Can’t even begin to tell you how much I was hoping to get to hunt down the shadow broker when I when Liara first hinted at it with her reference to the Shadow Broker being on the run from her. Not to mention actually getting a chance to continue a romance from the first game. I found this DLC to be the most satisfying add-on I’ve ever purchased. It left me wanting more Mass Effect, but in a good way. Reminds me why this is my favorite video game franchise.

After that, the next highest price is $7, which applies to Kasumi and Project Overlord. Both are decent DLC’s that are excellent in their story-telling, although Overlord is longer, unless you consider the fact that Kasumi gives a new character for the entire game. Are the essential? Probably not. Neither seem to be pertinent to the trilogy plotline, although their inclusion in ME3 obviously remains to be seen. Although, am I the only one that sees a fair amount of similarities to Kasumi’s loyalty mission and “Trash” from Firefly? I certainly loved the feel of that mission for that reason alone; enough to feel that it was worth the price.

The rest of the DLC are either exclusive to pre-release promotional offers or $2. All are meant to be variety for those who want it. The alternate appearance pack? I use garrus’ alternate all the time. Firepower and Aegis? Nice to have a selection of weapons/armor that better suit my play style. Are any of them necessary to enjoy the game? Of course not.

I really don’t see how one very well presented $10 dlc, two decently priced $7 dlcs, and a handful of $2 dlcs count as poor value. Or am I just not as stingy as those who complain? Is this a PC gamer thing or unrelated to the platform? (FYI, I own it on the 360, despite the fact that my computer can handle it fine with the better graphics. I like getting achievements for my xbox account).

And please don’t take it as me trying to insult those who don’t see the prices as reasonable, I’m just not getting where your objections are coming from.

9. The Tupper says:

I bought ME2 on initial release, but paid little attention to its Cerberus news updates because I assumed it was merely a none-too-stealthy-advertising channel for the pumping of Bioware DLC. If an interesting story came up I felt as if (somewhere down the line) I was gonna be asked to put my hand in my pocket to understand what it was referring to, breaking the sense of immersion that I adored in the first game.

I’ll confess that I still haven’t gotten around to finishing the game. I’m not sure, but the niggle that I was being bilked may have something to do with it.

Am I wrong? Have I made a mistake and all that well-written copy has gone over my old, cynical head?

abhishek says:

The Cerberus network was used to provide information about upcoming DLC releases and such, but they never lowered themselves to the level you were anticipating in which they asked you for money to continue it. Most of the Cerberus news bits were standalone paragraphs noting some event in the universe, but some of them actually became mini stories as well. For example, there was a whole series on a reporter who had been captured on some planet… she was held without charges, there were appeals to let her go on humanitarian grounds.. then she was charged with espionage… there was a whole court case devoted to her, and so on. These themed stories got their own discussion forums on the site and were richer than the single vignettes that Bioware put out.

10. DigitalSignalX says:

I liked the Kasumi, Zaheed and Shadow Broker DLC’s – rest were pretty much a waste. Don’t even get me started on the new vehicle…grr.

11. terry says:

I only just got ME2 over the Steam sale and blasted through it over about 4 days – really enjoyable game, although cover systems are the bane of my existence. I’m intrigued by the release being so close to ME3 too, if this acts as a plot setup for 3 that is a truly dastardly and fiendish use of DLC to taunt me.

12. Ziv says:

ummmmm I really don’t get why is ‘holiday season’ is taking the american out of the story. Excuse me of my ignorance as i’m not english.