INDIE STRONG: IGF Finalists Announced

By Jim Rossignol on January 3rd, 2011 at 3:34 pm.

The contenders for the Seumas McNally Grand Prize are: Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Desktop Dungeons, Minecraft, Nidhogg, SpyParty. Quite the headline-making set. In fact, is that the best group of games in the final so far? Maybe, but it’s certainly heavy on the 3D this year, which feels oddly out of place. The full list of nominees for the various categories can be browsed here. Speaking of 3D, it’s great to see Neverdaunt in Technical Excellence, too.

, .

1. Zaboomafoozarg says:

Minecraft wins. Hands down, no contest, game over man.

• Memphis-Ahn says:

Don’t know, Amnesia is a very powerful single-player experience. Might just take the prize home.
      On that note, I wouldn’t be surprised if Minecraft did win.

• Sobric says:

I’d opened my Internet Mouth to say the same thing, but then I noticed Amnesia in there. It’s a complete toss-up between the two, IMO, although Minecraft might still edge it.

• Xocrates says:

Dunno. IGF has a history of rewarding innovation/originality over quality (Crayons Physics Deluxe beating World of Goo, anyone?) That said, the new category of “Nuovo Award” seems to have been created specifically to avoid that.

• crainey92 says:

It’s a really tough call but it’s crazy that a game just out of alpha (Minecraft) is a contender. Mojang (/notch) is taking massive amount’s of money from Minecraft and as I said its only beta, as for Amnesia it’s a really great game but I can’t help but feel it is slightly overrated as I’ve played other games like it such as Penumbra (Also Paradox Interactive) and enjoyed them much more.

• Samwise says:

@crainey92

Penumbra is made by the exact same development team …

• Byth says:

@Samwise–he knows, he just said the Pen publisher instead of the dev, Frictional.

2. CMaster says:

I’m not sure that 3D really feels at all out of place. Hell, the first time I was aware of the IGF was when Darwinia scooped the Grand Prize.
    If anything, I’m still a little annoyed that they’re continuing to include unreleased games for the grand prize.
    Can’t really see it being Desktop Dungeons though…

3. airtekh says:

I like that I can recognise most of the games this year, when normally I don’t have a clue as to which one is which.

Still quite annoying that we can’t play Nidhogg or SpyParty yet, they both sound awesome.

4. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

There won’t be any games left for next year’s IGF.

5. Deano2099 says:

Does seem like Minecraft pretty much has to win.

Still, how exactly do these awards work anyway? You can only play half the games on the list, Minecraft is technically still in beta and Desktop Dungeons still has the paid version in development. Last year’s winner still isn’t out yet is it?

Can you only enter a game once or something, but at any point where you’re prepared to give the judges playable code? Or can it only be nominated once? Or win once?

/confused.

• Sic says:

All of these games are games that desperately need attention (being indie games). The reason they’re often early in development is probably that IGF has made an arrangement that will produce favourable press for as many games as possible (meaning their entry rules make it easier to monitor games and plan the nominations appropriately).

That’s my theory, at least.

• cliffski says:

you can enter as often as you like, as long as you send the fee.
      So you can enter and win, with an unfinished game, then enter it again when its finished, and win again, and then enter it again, just for laffs.

Yes, it’s silly.

• Sic says:

It sort of makes sense from an indie awareness perspective, though, doesn’t it?

6. Navagon says:

With contenders like Minecraft and Amnesia the others are just going to have to content themselves with being nominated.

That said, Minecraft is about the weakest and most bug ridden it’s been since not long after I first bought it. So as it stands, Amnesia is a clear winner.

7. Handsome Dead says:

IGF no longer has an award for innovation.

This is hilarious.

• Sic says:

Isn’t that the “Nuovo Award”?

• SpaceDrake says:

Yep, that’s the Nuovo Award for Innovation. It’s still there. They just seem to like calling it something fancy these days.

8. Premium User Badge Lambchops says:

Usually the IGF finalist reveal a wonderful game that I hvan’t yet played. This year I won every single one that has been released and the two that aren’t are already on my radar.

This is your fault RPS! It’s all your wonderful fault!

• Urthman says:

Can anyone offer evidence for or against the thesis that the RPS coverage was the critical event that caused Minecraft sales to achieve orbital velocity?

• terry says:

It was covered by Penny Arcade also, which has a massive, massive readership.

9. Chakawi says:

I’m really happy to see Desktop Dungeons up there, but I kind of have to agree that nominating unreleased games is pretty weird.

The way I see it, if the game is able to win this it should be considered released. Does’nt mean they must stop developping it though.

10. Tei says:

“The Cat and the Coup is a documentary game in which you play the cat of Dr. Mohammed Mossadegh, the first democratically elected Prime Minister of Iran. During the summer of 1953, the CIA engineered a coup to bring about his downfall. As a player, you coax Mossadegh back through significant events of his life by knocking objects off of shelves, scattering his papers, jumping on his lap and scratching him.”

And If you think the revelations of Wikileaks are true, USA is still fighting against democracy to favour his industry and military.

11. SpaceDrake says:

Aw, nuts. Recettear didn’t get further than “honorable mention”. Ah, well, I knew it was a longshot with all the competition.

12. Tei says:

humm….

13. zxcdsa says:

Hello. My friend

=== http://www.aeooe.com ===

Dedicated service, the new style, so you feel like a warm!!!

WE ACCEPT PYAPAL PAYMENT

YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

thank you !!!

=== http://www.aeooe.com ===

14. mwoody says:

I’ve never understood why IGF gives rewards for games under development. I mean, something like Minecraft, sure – people can download and even buy that. But what’s the point of showing a list of games that none of us can play? I mean, how long ago was it that Monaco won, and yet it STILL hasn’t seen release, not even in an unfinished form.

I’m not complaining: I’m seriously asking. What’s the point? Are we supposed to care about what they think is the best out of a bunch of stuff they’ve played but no one else has?

15. noproblem says:

Why hasn’t Limbo received any nominations? It was the game of 2010 for me.