Rather Inspiring: The Spire Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on January 3rd, 2011 at 1:00 pm.

Raw Games recently released a trailer for their UDK-developed first-person puzzler, The Spire. And it is a handsome creature. The game is based around a set of physics tools that will allow players to manipulate objects and construct simply structures by linking them together through “polarising” them. Needless to say, there will be some physics death for your enemies, too. All hail the FPS/puzzle hybrid future!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. MrTest says:

This looks great!

2. Luomu says:

So many crates…

3. Pop says:

Reminds me of the citadel in Half-life 2, except it’s underground, which reminds me of the Minerva Mod, except it’s on Antartica and ostensibly a physics based puzzler, which reminds me of Penumbra. Oh, the horror!

Sorry, got out on wrong side of bed… taking it out on indie developers :(

Yet…. need to see more new stuff before I get excited.

4. grasskit says:

looks great and im sure the puzzles will be interesting, but am i the only one who thought – meh, yet another pseudo sci-fi secret lab experiment gone bad setting?

• Damien Stark says:

Well, it’s probably rather difficult to implement plausible physics puzzles with dragons and castles. Then again, Plants vs Zombies found a way to do compelling tower defense without even using towers…

• MadTinkerer says:

I could be worng and it might be your standard HL/Portal Science Gone Wrong plot, but the trailer itself put me more in mind of something like Mission Impossible where you’re breaking into some government/corporate/whatever facility and you happen to be using a neat variant of the gravity Gun to rip box-shaped objects off the walls to get past security. Which, okay, is certainly Valve-esque, but not a straight copy of anything that’s been done before.

Hopefully it’ll be just graphicy enough that my computer will be able to handle it, like Bioshock 2, Singularity, and all Source engine games, and not slightly too graphicy that even minimum settings slows my system to a crawl like Twin Sector and Metro 2033 do.

5. SquareWheel says:

I’ll be interested to see if they can come up with new and interesting physics-based puzzles.

6. airtekh says:

Looks very similar to Twin Sector.

I like my first-person puzzlers. I’m playing The Ball at the moment and it’s awesome.

7. man-eater chimp says:

A one-handed Gravity Gun! Looks rather awesome…

8. Text_Fish says:

Bleagh. Quake 2 had a ‘put the crate infront of the laser’ puzzle and I’m pretty sure every single shooter since has done something similar. So basically these guys have just removed the shooty bits … or have they?

Maybe the trailer they released isn’t representative of the game, but if it is, it looks like a prime example of indie devs somehow falling foul of exactly the same dull cliches that commercial studios are forced in to by their budgets.

9. Yor Fizzlebeef says:

Is… is that a pokéball in the logo?

10. surv1vor says:

Anyone else think this looks almost identical to Twin Sector? A game where the most entertaining element was the poor grammar.

11. jefftron says:

Maybe they can work some kind of deal with the developers of The Ball and put balls and spires in each other’s games.

12. anjin says:

Portal: Gravity Gunhand Edition?

13. somnolentsurfer says:

I want to be inspired, but the cynic in me just says “crate puzzles, yay”.

14. silverhammermba says:

I see we’re still amazed by Half-Life 2′s gravity gun.

15. CMaster says:

Looks awfully Twin Sector-y (although not quite as ugly or hackneyed).
    Still, FPPs are games I would like to see more of.

@silverhammermba – most first person games have such very limited interaction with the environment that its nice to see things where there is more. Although it does look a bit like this game follows the “small amount of physics objects in a sparse space” portal aesthetic. It might be nice to see a FPP which accepts limited graphics due to its small budget, but really piles on the interactive stuff using the spare computer resources.

16. Hendo says:

To be honest, it looks pretty, the trailer seems to have good production values and it’s promising to be a first person puzzler. Other than that, we can’t make judgement on how the gameplay is going to succeed or fail yet (which more in-depth trailers may give us clues to) so I’m happy with the starting point. Looking forward to the next bit of info.

17. Urthman says:

Sheesh people, do you greet every new FPS by saying, “Oh great. Another game with a gun in it.”

Or am I the only one who would be thrilled if First-Person-Physics-Puzzler became a genre as firmly established and as widely-varied FPS, RPG, and RTS?

• MadTinkerer says:

IMHO, we could use more FPPs. Nevertheless, don’t forget that the game that started the trend, Portal, subverted it’s own conventions halfway through.

We don’t just need more games of the FPP genre, we need more games that are well made, aren’t blanded down by marketing-drones, and at least try to be semi-original. Unlike both of the top Military Shooter franchises which are so indistinguishably dull that I keep forgetting that Black Ops isn’t the latest Bad Company game, but the other one.

18. MadTinkerer says:

Three in a row? The spambots are getting smarter and more aggressive! Or could it be…

GLaDOS!?!

Now GLaDOS, there’s no need to be jealous. We’re all going to buy Portal 2 and it’s coming out before Spire anyway. There’s no need to sabotage discussion of the competition’s products.

19. speedwaystar says:

The Spire teaser
    StC: 0 seconds
    Notes: The video starts you off staring right at a pile of crates.
    Comments:
    Kevin: That’s very bad.
    erik: Yes. It’s observably, undeniably bad. It’s as if the lead designer arrived at work on day one, sat down at his desk, sharpened a pencil, threw up his hands and said “well, I can’t think of anything.”

(with apologies to Old Man Murray)

• MadTinkerer says:

I laughed. :)

Come to think of it, one of the guys who wrote that article also made Portal. Oh wait: Portal doesn’t have any crates, just Weighted Storage Cubes. That’s totally different.

Comment on this story