Fallen Earth’s “State Of The Game”

By Jim Rossignol on January 6th, 2011 at 12:46 pm.

Fallen Earth is a game I keep meaning to return to, only to be held back by a lack of time. It was in a pretty good state when I played it last year, and it’s had a load of updates since there, including a significant overhaul of the PvP system. There was even a UK retail release recently, which got me as far as reinstalling it, but not quite playing it again – yet. Anyway, the post-apocalyptic MMO (this is the Fallout MMO until we get the Fallout MMO) has now revealed more content in a State Of The Game open letter from the developers. There’s a few major bits of content coming up soon, such as new NPC bosses, new locations, fixes to mutations and other balancing issues, but it seems the core of the work is going to be in fixing the wonky player economy, which Icarus want to be at the heart of the game. You can read the full update here. If you want to read my original review, go here, but it’s moved on a fair bit since then.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. ZIGS says:

I only played the beta, is the combat still god-awful?

• Ezhar says:

I don’t think there was much to be salvaged there.

• ScubaMonster says:

My biggest gripe with the game. I’d still be playing if the combat was decent.

2. ww99w says:

As much as I like a post-apocalyptic setting, I just cannot get into this game. I was in the alpha and I returned and tried a free trial a week ago. The game lacks any sort of polish (not graphically but gameplay). The combat is very unresponsive and very boring and if memory serves correctly, I dont think it has changed since the days of alpha testing.

3. Pop says:

Can’t believe they have a lithe girl in a bikini wearing a gas mask on their main page…

I’m not sure who to blame more: Evony or Megan Fox.

What’s that lassie? The apocalypse has come and wiped out all women who weren’t featured in topshelf magazines? My this is all sounding a bit Woody Allen!

• Dances to Podcasts says:

To be fair, scarcity would make people a bit less fat than they are now.

4. 8-bit says:

oh god, don’t tell the tf2 players but they are giving away a free hat to anyone who buys the thing.

5. houlai02 says:

Hello. My friend

w w w . a e o o e . c o m

Dedicated service, the new style, so you feel like a warm autumn!!!

WE ACCEPT PYAPAL PAYMENT

YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

thank you !!!

w w w . a e o o e . c o m

6. Noterist says:

I love this kind of thing. I remember when Pirates of the Burning Sea were having issues with their player economy being fulfilled within guilds and the resulting items not filtering into the open market.

The blog posts about the subject before they implemented any changes were really interesting, but I could never find any followup information and don’t have the time to play the game myself.

I hope the Fallen Earth guys keep a steadier stream of info coming out. MMO economics is an intriguing topic, unlike its real world counterpart.

7. minming says:

Hello. My friend

w w w . a e o o e . c o m

Dedicated service, the new style, so you feel like a warm autumn!!!

WE ACCEPT PYAPAL PAYMENT

YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

thank you !!!

w w w . a e o o e . c o m

8. Jezebeau says:

Remember that thing they promised would be in game by December 2009 and still isn’t there in January 2011? Sector 4? The bit for which they’re now announcing they’ll soon release part one of four? That’s all the proof I need that it’s not worth my subscription dollars.

9. DigitalSignalX says:

They have a free 30 day trial. *shrug* how bad can it be… I’ll give it a shot tonight.

• DigitalSignalX says:

I put about 3 hours into it so far. The graphics are very dated, I’d say 2003-2005ish, kind of like Lineage II or silkroad without any of the shiny particle effects. So good for older systems, wasted on newer GPU’s.

Plot is good so far, lots of obvious parallels with fallout series. I like that you actually have to aim your weapons rather then have a lock-on, but it needs a bit of a cover system and the crouch / prone is very awkward. As well, switching in and out of aim mode in order to interact with the world (or loot what you just killed) is also taking some getting used to.

I think the biggest turn on-turn off will be the inventory system. It’s a micro-manage heaven, with almost a dozen weapon slots and like 30 gear slots on your paper doll. You’ll either love upgrading those shoe-laces of dexterity or Left ear ring of strength, or will find it tedious.

neofit says:

I don’t understand the complaints about graphics. I am a graphics whore and I loved FE’s graphics, but then I am making sure that I can afford to run games at max settings. Granted it’s not the latest CoD, but it’s at least as good as other MMOPGs on the market.

I don’t get the complaints about the combat system either. It is as responsive AoC’s combat as it is nowadays, with the added bonus of most of it being ranged, unless you want to do silly things like bring a knife to a gun fight in the desert. Maybe people who are complaining have only tried it during the first couple of weeks after release, when lag made even walking a challenge?

What I am disappointed with, reading this state of the game address, is that apparently they still aren’t working on anything related to fast travel. This is my main gripe with the game, and something the devs have been very stubborn about. If a game makes one ride for TWENTY minutes from one quest location to another, or just from one POI to another, over empty terrain, it has a problem. I solve this problem by not wasting any more time on this game and switch my monthly mmo payments onto better devs.