Lenovo Show Arcade Laptop Casemod

By Jim Rossignol on January 6th, 2011 at 10:25 am.

This is quite the thing, via Technabob: it’s a case in which to place a laptop, turning it into an arcade machine. The case hooks the laptop up to arcade-style control pad and buttons, while providing an extra slide-out keyboard beneath the main cabinet so that you can still use it as a PC. Frustratingly, this doesn’t yet appear to be a commercial project, and instead is simply a demo project by this chap. As casemods go, this is both practical (if you’re an arcade nerd) and awesome, and totally should be a commercial thing. There’s a video of it being demonstrated in action beneath the click.

« »

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. backcountry says:

i think everyone who grew up in the 90s dreamed of having an arcade machine in their room at some point.

2. Zern says:

Speaking of Fighting Games, are you guys gonna cover Blazblue: Calamity Trigger someday? It’s been out on the PC for about half a year now. (I realize it has been replaced by Continuum Shift, but that one’s not on the PC (yet) afaik.) I thought it was a really nice game, and much easier to get into than Street Fighter 4.

3. Navagon says:

That guy’s got some skills. He should be able to get some funding to produce those cabinets. There’d definitely be a market for them if he could make them compatible with a reasonably wide array of laptops.

4. HilariousCow says:

I am in a comments thread, having an opinion about Happ vs. Seimitsu vs. Sanwa buttons.

Oh dear.

SSFIVAE PC Please, capcom!

5. James says:

I expected a completely different voice for some reason when he started talking. Cool box.

6. Mephisto says:

Realism is lacking. No build-up of fag ash next to the buttons.

7. limbclock says:

I hope that they’ll release this widely, or make it easy to mailorder. I mean heck, it looks pretty awesome.

8. Jason Moyer says:

Was this posted from 1998 or are MAME cabinets news again? In any case, I think I’d rather have the cocktail version:

9. Reapy says:

I took on the project of making my own arcade stick for the xbox by moding a cheap arcade stick that cost 20 bucks. It was a pretty awesome project and at the end of the day I ended up with a small hinge box with working arcade buttons to play capcom vs snk.

At the end of the day it turned out that I actually hated using arcade buttons since I guess I didn’t really get to play in the arcade growing up (had a pc at home, parents didnt want to kick $$’s for me to play), so I played all of 10 minutes with it, but still it was awesome.

Queue the cheese, the best use I got out of this thing was stashing an engagement ring in it. I had just finished up the joystick and had yet to show my soon to be wife. So what I did was find a corner in the box with all the wires and stuck the ring box there. I then ran 2 fake wires into the ring box to make it look like a part of the joystick.

After the usual cheesy setup date, we went back home to check out the ‘joystick’ ( too easy to joke), we cracked the lid, I told her the ring box was the hardest part to do, had her crack it open, bam one more geeky proposal in the record books ;)

The best part was trying to explain to ‘normal’ people how I proposed. “Yeah it was in his joystick” lol

10. Fumarole says:

That is very cool. Props to this guy.

11. minming says:

Hello. My friend

w w w . a e o o e . c o m

Dedicated service, the new style, so you feel like a warm autumn!!!

WE ACCEPT PYAPAL PAYMENT

YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

thank you !!!

w w w . a e o o e . c o m

Kong says:

A great thing for the living room, pure genius. A good reason to buy a bloody laptop eventually.

DrazharLn:

In an ideal world people would have enough reasons to celebrate. That’s what FB-Clickgame, Steam, Rockstar Social Club etc offer their members: achievement awards, halls of fame, pantheons of digital godlikeness for suffering virtual grind and torment:
    “Step in every Dogshit of Liberty City Award”
    “Complete the Empire TW campaign with each faction Award”
    RPS needs a hall of fame for First Reply Achievement. People want it.

In an ideal world there would be no need to wish for censorship in case somebody asked for a blowjob.

13. Stephen Roberts says:

Making things, real physical things, is beautiful.