Civ World Closed Alpha Starts Jan 12th

By Quintin Smith on January 7th, 2011 at 10:59 am.

I wanted 'Social Wetwork' for the above strap but dammit the game isn't right.

Yes, the free-to-play Facebook Connect version of Sid Meier’s Civilization, Civ World, (which was mentioned in this interview) will enter a closed Alpha next week. No details on the game just yet, but interested parties can apply for a slot in the Alpha here. If memory serves the lot of you love Facebook games, you just can’t get enough of them, so I am sure that this will be good news and won’t at all result in grumbling. Right?

I deleted myself from Facebook, you know. Already my social life is in tatters. Some people say it’s because I keep trying to have sex with their cats, but I definitely blame Facebook.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. terry says:

That Sid is unnerving.

AndrewC says:

He seems inordinately pleased with himself. Where did he just have that finger?

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Cool beard.

• The Hammer says:

You guys, I was thinking exactly the same thing. Look at that smile!

I hope they’re not planning to superimpose players’ Facebook profile pictures onto historical leader templates. I don’t think I could bear the sight of half my contact list going that way.

Fede says:

Social life in tatters? Not a problem anymore: just to ask Chris Delay to put you instead of Kieron in his next showcase of Subversion, and you’ll be able to outtalk anyone! :)

Carra says:

We love facebook games so much that none of us bought Civ 5. We’re all really just waiting for the facebook spinoff.

4. Tei says:

I just joined, in the case is a new flavour of Civ of my tastes. I have not strategy brain, to be honest, I play all civ games (from the first) as somewhat like Sim Civ. Thats probably a bad idea, but I have lots of fun.

5. frenz0rz says:

Sex with cats? Thats awfully purrverted.

6. CMaster says:

Might be interested if it wasn’t for the fact that Facebook’s complete failure to police their platform means that I’ve disabled all FB apps and website integration. I’d advise all RPS readers to do the same.

• Navagon says:

I’ve actually got facebook.com itself on my block list.

• Xercies says:

Heh Facebook is the least of your worries if your worried about personal data, I can guarantee most companies and people know where you live and when you go to the toilet now. There’s no escaping it.

• Curvespace says:

It’s true. I know when you last went to the toilet, you dirty little man.

;)

• CMaster says:

It’s more than that. Obviously data mining apps are a concern – there’s info about relationships on FB that couldn’t easily be found other ways. It’s more about not being used for spam etc. Even if you are sensible and don’t add any apps that aren’t 100% above board, you can have an application added to your account, then used to send spam messages to your friends, just by visiting the wrong page on facebook.com, or indeed pages elsewhere on the internet. And there’s no way to actually even report this, Facebook cares so little.

@Curvespace – you know more about that than me then. I have no idea.

AndrewC says:

@Cmaster I see you’ve discovered the joys of adult diapers too.

• Scatterbrainpaul says:

I don’t see why Facebook gets such bad press. People should look at the positives.

1) It’s made it far easier to look at our mates girlfriends in their bikinis
      2) Don’t think I really need a number 2

• adonf says:

Just put random crap in your profile and you’ll be safe. To FB I’m a 95 year-old woman from Kazakhstan called Spam Spamsdottir

7. Kattullus says:

What’s this ‘Team’ malarkey. We have to be organized? That would be like herding cats who are fleeing Quintin.

drewski says:

I only came in to see people get angry in the comments. Seems I’m early.

9. Navagon says:

Everything is being pulled into the book of faces, where no personal details are safe.

10. Novotny says:

I might make a facebook acct just to play this, but I won’t reactivate my old account.

BTW, my favourite game used to be Civ 4, but now it’s called ‘Red Arrows’, and is all about posting on the Daily Mail’s website.

Any chance we could rate comments too?

11. ChaK_ says:

Too bad it’s a facebook game, I won’t play it just on that critera.

Gap Gen says:

Did somebody say Alpha Centauri?

• The Army of None says:

OH HOW I WISH

• Pijama says:

Given the nature of the remakes by Firaxis and such, I think we are better off with Alpha Centauri in our memories…

13. mingbai98 says:

Hello. My friend

w w w . a e o o e . c o m

Dedicated service, the new style, so you feel like a warm autumn!!!

WE ACCEPT PYAPAL PAYMENT

YOU MUST NOT MISS IT!!!

thank you !!!

w w w . a e o o e . c o m

14. Shiny says:

I can’t wait to plant and harvest crops under a Civ banner.

15. rocketman71 says:

So, it’s Civ World and not Sid Meier’s Civ World?.

I think it’s telling that even he doesn’t want to put his name to another POS casual facebook “game”.