Here’s To You, Pop-Pop

By Alec Meer on January 8th, 2011 at 10:58 am.

There’s a new Bulletstorm trailer, in which, Cliffy ‘Don’t Call Me CliffyB’ B describes his hopes, dreams and aspirations.

Good grief.

(Probably NSFW)

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Still, it’s ingenious, in a horrific sort of way.

That Bulletstorm, eh? At this point, it’s basically in a crudity/hyper-violence war with Duke Nukem Forever, and the question is whether either of them are game enough to support the torrent of excess and wry meatheadness they’re being marketed on. Better than more bombastic 24-like COD-guff, I guess. Hopefully this clownish shakeup for Old Man FPS will be good for him.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. KBKarma says:

O… kay. Wow. Hyper-violence all the way, eh Cliffy?

I was vaguely interested in this game. The video hasn’t CHANGED that, but it means I shouldn’t play it near any moral guardians.

Oh, and I posted something like this earlier. When I went to edit it, the SpamDetector ated it. :(

• BAReFOOt says:

I think this videos is a lot better in making you interested in the game. Especially the giant wheel / chase scene. It’s madness! Oh, and it could just as well be Quake 4 in an alternate universe.

(Just disable the translation. The audio still is in English.)

Edit: Apparently, embedding videos doesn’t work here…

2. Ca9ine says:

Is it just me, or does Cliffy B sound exactly like South Park co-creator Trey Parker?

3. Ricc says:

Best assholes* in gaming?

*talking about Bulletstorm here, not the marketing team…

4. patricij says:

Errr…what?

5. BooleanBob says:

True to form, though, it takes about 12 shots at point blank range to hit the mark. The assault rifles in Gears amount to a war crime in themselves.

6. Urael says:

I haven’t seen a monster’s asshole since Doom’s Imps. And I’ve looked.

7. DigitalSignalX says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that’s a video game first. Not counting obscure Japanese titles of a dramatically different genre (one hopes).

8. sjjs says:

Ugh… Pop-Pop most certainly doesn’t get a treat.

• Urael says:

Huzzah for Arrested Development reference. Also, do people actually call their father’s that? I thought AD made it up.

• Navagon says:

I think that only a southern American with a serious stutter would call their father that.

• Dominic White says:

I ince had an American girlfriend who called her grandfather ‘Paw-paw’. Fairly sure it’s not a new thing.

• bob_d says:

@Dominic White: That must be highly confusing as the paw-paw is also a type of American fruit tree…

dhex says:

pop pop is probably best described as old-fashioned usa slang for grandpa. it’s not unheard of in the northeast, but it is rare.

that said bulletstorm will make a tasty steam sale some day.

9. pipman3000 says:

well i guess its better then the rest of something awfuls stuff these days.

10. Zwebbie says:

I don’t like Bulletstorm, but it makes a lot of sense if I think about it. If people like Achievements, why not give them a mini-achievement every three seconds?

• Pani says:

It worked for Achievement Unlocked whether they were poking fun at achievements or not. That was a great little flash game. (And it’s sequel).

11. Pantsman says:

Better than COD-guff, indeed. At least this brand of ultra-masculinity has a sense of humour.

• Ricc says:

What you are describing is the pinnacle of “ADD-Gaming”. A lot of modern games go for flashy visuals and a tight reward scheme instead of depth. That stuff gets old, when everybody is doing it, unfortunately.

edit: I’m sorry, this was meant as a response to @Zwebbie above.

Acosta says:

Add me to the “Better than COD brotharhood” club.

13. surv1vor says:

I’m actually really looking forward to this!! Providing it gets the reviews I’m hoping for and some non-muliplayer longevity it could be a day one buy!

Big Murray says:

Why do I get the feeling that in a few months time some American conservatives are going to be referencing Bulletstorm when trying to push through some form of anti-gaming legislature?

• Dominic White says:

It’s far too cartoonish to really offend anyone. We just saw a big fat dude getting shot in the arse so hard that he farts a stream of firey death and dies.

15. MadTinkerer says:

The bit about “blowing out a man’s asshole”? Meh. Combining it with that background music, though, made me laugh.

16. RegisteredUser says:

Still has only 2 weapon slots, therefore still fails.

I will boycott this and DNF and every other failgame that worships restriction of choice and with maximum thrust purchase any game that proposes freedom and liberal gun frenzy instead.

It saddens me deeply that – apparently – epic games has defiled People Can Fly from an awesome PC games making machine (Painkiller had no limited slots, no auto-regeneration, no click left-right-left to move along a rope bollocks. It did have armor+health pickups, secrets, fun guns and the gauntlet and an unashamed flaire of IAMAPCGAMEANDNODOUBTABOUTIT) to a dumbified “Let’s make it one for the masses” consolizer.

17. James T says:

An unexpected surprise indeed.

18. rocketman71 says:

OMFG, I downloaded the trailer somewhere else and didn’t know that CliffyB was in it. It has been now deleted, and the partition it inhabited has been formatted 30 times.

Thanks for the warning!.