New Minecraft Gubbins Includes Cake

By John Walker on January 10th, 2011 at 9:14 pm.

Anyone who makes any

There’s a hodgepodge of new Minecraft news released by Markus “Notch” Perrson today, including a potential release date. Which seems such an odd thing to say about a game I’ve been playing worryingly often for the last few months. I mean, sure, I could go to bed, or I could continue hollowing out underground caverns of their dirt and gravel in order to discover more ore that I will only ever use to make more tools to continue hollowing out underground caverns, endlessly wondering why I’m doing it but completely unable to stop. It’s later this year. There’s other things too, including cake.

There’s a new update for the game coming this Thursday. It’s not known what’s going to be in it, but it seems quite likely it will include cake. Notch explains via Twitter:

“The recipe for cake is milk*3 + sugar*3 + wheat*3. Of course. (You will get the buckets for the milk back). For sugar, I kinda retconned the bamboo to be sugar canes.. I hope you’re ok with that!”

Notch also explains the way he’s managing his newly formed company (currently him and another guy), and how he’s encouraging inventive new content to be added to the game. A rather nice policy that’s been implemented is,

“50% of the development time in Minecraft towards adding fun new stuff.”

There’s also plans to make their buggy nightly builds available for people to download and play. Clearly these will not provide the same experience, but you’ll see whatever happened that day.

The other project from the new team is due to be announced in around a month.

1. geldonyetich says:

The cake is a li- no, that’s way too obvious.

As long as Minecraft keeps expanding, I’m a happy camper. However, Notch is putting out signs they’re planning on “finishing” it, while rolling part of the money it made into [Secret New Game]. I wonder that’s such a good idea – it seems to me that Minecraft is a solitary wonder whose unexpected popularity renders it deserving of 100% of his attention.

• Fwiffo says:

Just because the zeitgeist ran away with Minecraft doesn’t mean he has to be shackled to it, forever making updates because he ‘owes people’ for making him rich.

While he’s said it’s going to be “finished”, (read: officially released), there’s nothing stopping him going back to it when the mood takes him or making add ons for pocket money.

• Hunam says:

Or indeed, handing it over to the community to make in their own way.

• DOLBYdigital says:

Agreed!
      Which is exactly what I hope he does if he decides to give it up for a bit…. It seems like mod support is one of their focuses so I’m happy :)

• msarge says:

I’m pretty sure Notch said he plans on continuing to add stuff to Minecraft even after it’s “complete.” He’s also expressed interest in releasing the source to the game eventually, but I believe it was going to be long after it stopped selling. I can’t remember the specifics of that one.

• Fringe says:

BOOBYFACE!

• Urthman says:

The number of mods available even now, all done by hacking the code without official mod support, is very impressive.

If Notch can get mod support in place so that mods can be added easily and reliably, Minecraft is going to just explode.

Minecraft is not going to be just a game. It’s going to be a platform.

El_MUERkO says:

i want mod support so someone can bolt minecraft onto dwarf fortress and i can give up any pretence of work

• Wulf says:

I want to see the rideable dragons he keeps hinting at.

When Minecraft has rideable dragons, if the controls are half as good as Drakan’s, then Minecraft is going to take away another chunk of my life. That’s one thing about Drakan that makes me crazy – no dragon-riding game since has actually done what Drakan did, which is have the dragon-flight essentially be a lite flight sim, with the dragon as a leathery aeroplane of firey doom.

Kind of suspecting that movement through the air will be incredibly limited in Minecraft though when his ‘fire breathing air vehicles’ do turn up, but still, I can hope.

• Bassism says:

Somehow I’ve failed to have ever heard of Drakan.
      I thank you for enlightening me Wulf. Now excuse me while I try to find Drakan.

• DrugCrazed says:

I will now look for Draken, since I get rather angry about the fact that one of the most beautiful fantasy creatures is typecast as some evil overlord.

In recent times, I can only count Eragon, and that story was horrible. The Dragon however was smexy…

• lhzr says:

why do you need dragons, when you have perfectly good pegasii?

• quintesse says:

Wulf is right, I loved Drakan. I was just telling a friend about it some days ago how the dragon riding in Divinity 2 just doesn’t compare at all to Drakan. I also remember dying at times because I was just too awed by the scenery to pay attention to enemies.

• Fumarole says:

DragonStrike!

3. MartinNr5 says:

No, the newly formed company includes a lot more people but only Notch and one more is working on Mincraft specifically.

4. Navagon says:

Yay! Update! Prayers to the FSM have been answered. But if that’s the case then the cake may be pasta based. :<

• thebigJ_A says:

Heresy. The Great Noodly One is also made of cheese! It’ll be Cheesecake!

Parmesan Cheesecake!

5. Inglourious Badger says:

What’s Minecraft?

• ZenArcade says:

Isn’t it some kind of craft kit you can buy at stationary stores? Meh.

• Navagon says:

You know papercraft? Well it’s like that but with bloody big holes in the ground.

El_MUERkO says:

No, that’s ‘MeinKraft’.

• geldonyetich says:

Crafting mines, and leaving them about town for people to appreciate. Then the clumsy oafs set them off, and suddenly you’re an international terrorist. It’s rapidly becoming an under-appreciated art form. At least there’s cake now.

• Spacewalk says:

A bomb.

• Dozer says:

Don’t confuse it with MinceRaft, which is a very experimental type of boat designed to take advantage of the deflated prices of oversupplied seasonal baking ingredients.

• Navagon says:

“At least there’s cake now.”

There bloody well better be cake. Or else it will be like 2007 all over again.

• mwoody says:

An infamous manifesto by the dictator Adoof Hitlar.

• SanguineAngel says:

@ Dozer: Appreciative applause. I found that most amusing

6. Shadram says:

What the hell kind of cake recipe is that? You’d just end up with hot slop if you baked that. It should be in a ratio of something like 1 milk, 1 sugar, 2 eggs, 2 flour. Unless you assume some of the milk is turned into butter first, I guess, since you still need to add some kind of fat to that recipe. Hmm. It was more the absence of egg that bothered me.

• j says:

more to the point, what kind of sugar produces books?

JohnArr says:

Textrose?

• Oddtwang of Dork says:

*applause*

• Davie says:

Well done, John. Well done.

• Legionary says:

Sugar paper.

• Phasma Felis says:

Minecraft crafting is incredibly abstract at best. It’s more about sort of approximating the general shape of an object on the crafting grid than anything else. It takes three cubic meters of stone to make a pickaxe, for God’s sake. You can turn a cubic meter of tree into two cubic meters of planks with your bare hands.

That said, I’m pissed that the recipe doesn’t include eggs. Abstracting milk into butter, sure, fine, but there’s already eggs in the game! That you can’t eat! MY NERDRAGE KNOWS NO BOUNDS

daphne says:

I suspect that notch has to some extent done away with the motivation to work on Minecraft full time now that it’s abundantly clear he’s made craploads of dough from it. Hopefully I’m wrong, for the sake of the game rather than notch himself (some things I’ve read do not exactly imply that he’s really the champion of indie gaming the hopefuls like to see in him), but my gut o’ insight +2 says otherwise. Nothing against making well earned money of course, but I suppose millions of green can do that to people.

stahlwerk says:

On a related note, I’m sure GabeN is not working on Episode 3 right now.

How dare he?!

• Dalmatian says:

I enjoy envious, weasely posts that insinuate faults in people. They make me feel morally superior.

So, hey, thanks!

• Eagle0600 says:

As much as Minecraft is a good game, he obviously doesn’t want it to be a lifelong project. He wants to finish it to the point that he can look back and say it’s a complete work, then move on. Is it so wrong if he’s using money he’s not otherwise using to pay someone else to start working on another game while he finishes Minecraft?

What do you want from him, to never stop with Minecraft? Because that’s pretty-much daft. You could say he’s loosing motivation to work on it, but only because it’s nearing its finished state. If he were in it for the money, he wouldn’t have set up to make a new game, because he could happily retire now for life. One thing is clear: He’s choosing to make a new game.

daphne says:

I don’t want anything from him, or expect that he should be working on Minecraft exclusively, no… I’m not really that invested in Minecraft to do something like that. Like I said, his fortunes are well-earned. Just clarifying. I made an observation, and of course you’re free to disagree.

• Urthman says:

He sure started out doing it for the money.

And those 4k games he keeps making? Just more stealth marketing for Minecraft. It’s not like he enjoys making games.

Or maybe he used to enjoy it, but everyone knows that making games is no fun if there’s money in your bank account. That’s why Valve won’t release Episode 3. They’re too rich and so they just don’t enjoy games anymore. All that gleeful TF2 and L4D stuff? Totally faking it for the money.

• edit says:

@daphne , Not meaning to be pedantic, but in your own words you “suspect”, not observed. None of us can even pretend to know Notch’s real motivations, beliefs or desires, so any attempt to determine how money has impacted his attitude or enthusiasm is purely imaginative.

All the while we’re just coming up with this stuff, I personally suspect he’s as passionate about minecraft as he ever was, and I have no doubt he’ll use the resources at his disposal to make it the best he can.

8. DoucheMullet says:

Gasp? A Minecraft article?

HOW UNEXPECTED.

You guys totally don’t make enough Minecraft articles. You need at least 12 a day to fill the quota. You’ve only been going at like 4 a day. shame on you.

9. crainey92 says:

Notch say’s he will keep working on Minecraft for as long as there is interest in it, basicaly.

10. Moonracer says:

Is there still an official minecraft server? If so, what’s the address, because I can’t get on the three RPS related servers I used to know :(

Malfernion says:

I must say im constantly surprised by the people complaining that one day notch might stop work on minecraft. The average AAA game that sells a couple of million will get about 1 patch made post release and they sell for lots more than the ~£8 the alpha price was. It’s not like people are paying him a subscription to carry on or anything. I already have infinite respect for the guy for what he’s made and i wish him only the best for all of his future projects.

• Wulf says:

The truth is simple – it’s easier to bully someone who seems smaller than you. Dealing with his comments, Notch is but one man against an idiot mob of dissent. Humans are cowards by their very nature, this is nothing new, because if we weren’t then we’d likely have had many more uprisings against tyranny in our history. And there are so many places in the world right now that are such a great example of this, my home country not being exempt.

You don’t bully the government, you bully the local council clerks. You don’t bully AAA developers, you bully indie developers. You don’t bully the man who’s pointing the gun at you, you bully the man he’s pointing the gun at. And that’s the one thing that’s running through this torrent of dissent – cowardice. It gives people a small sense of power to be able to make these demands, and they like it all too much, this sense of entitlement allows them to believe that they’re actually important because of that £8~ they paid. It gives them the right to have someone to use as their whipping boy. And it becomes less about the game, but more of a meta-game, where people are more interested in tormenting Notch. They want their money’s worth out of making him miserable.

This, again, seems to be human nature for the vast majority.

And this is also one of the reasons why I tend to hope beyond hope that the broken state of my brain has changed my nature beyond repair, as it seems to have, since I have absolutely no inclination towards bullying little people whatsoever, for any reason. And believe me, nerds can bully as much as anyone else, they just do it in a different and not always an entirely passive-aggressive way.

Not being a douchefuck to people like Notch is the ethical approach, if you ask me, and if you are an ethical person by your very nature, then I’d say that that, instead, is something to feel good about, rather than feeling good by tormenting the poor man.

• thebigJ_A says:

Wow, Wulf, this is the first of your rants I’ve ever totally, utterly agreed with!

Bravo, sir. Excellent point.

• BAReFOOt says:

@Wulf: Humans always think they are so superior and require complex mechanics to describe their superior behaviour. But it’s really a few extremely simple rules. The rest is called “emergence”.
      See, we’re all just bio-mass, fighting over resources. And recently, we’re also ideas fighting over minds.
      The rest is just natural selection of those most efficient. (= success)
      And we humans learned, that until there are only two of us left for one atomic resource item, it’s smart to team up for so-called win-win deals. Meaning that together you can achieve more for each of you, than you could alone.
      And if that is not an option, at least take whatever you can get. (“Morals” is just a guide to this win-win rule, and so now goes straight out of the window.)

That’s all that’s needed to completely describe the scenarios you mentioned.
      No “ethics” required. Plain and simple common sense and thinking in the long term: If I am nice to Notch, knowing that he was nice to me in the past, it is very likely he will be nice to me in the future too. Where “nice” means getting a kind of profit.
      And those who are “douchefucks” just do this because they think they can get away with it. Plain and simple. Natural efficiency.

Now if Notch would just be nice to those who were nice to him, by only sending nice people updates, regardless of the douchefucks having paid too, that would change things. But seeing as he is working for the douchefucks anyway, no matter how douchy and fucky they are… or maybe even working harder because of that behaviour… I’d say their strategy, no matter of it being dumb and inferior, still works.
      (The reason they stay in that lower stable point, is because of the way neural networks work. Yes, including our brains. Going to a better stable point first means going trough a worse situation. Which means a cost in resources. Most life doesn’t think that far ahead. It’s a sign of higher intelligence. Go figure. ;)

• brulleks says:

Wulf said: “You don’t bully the man who’s pointing the gun at you, you bully the man he’s pointing the gun at.”

So, er, you bully yourself?

(Sorry Wulf, just felt in the mood for a bit of bullying…)

12. righteous_kill says:

Like most things like Minecraft, the best stuff does not come from the developer, but the community.
    Notch should be working on an API ASP and get the development of this baby in the hands
    of the community.

Just my two cents.

Malfernion says:

‘It is hard t have great development flying all over the place doing press and taking vacations.’

and all the other what 5 days a week hes asleep? He still puts hundreds of hours into the development a month.. If the community is the one coming up with all the best stuff and is better at development then shirley, it should have made minecraft?

• Wulf says:

And here we have a prime example of the sort of cowardly attitude I spoke of above.

Thank you for your illustration, righteous_kill, it’s quite helpful.

Anyway, folks, this is Fig A. Just FYI, and this kind of attitude is pretty much what no self-respecting person would ever want to embody.

That said, as far as mods go I’ve only ever actually seen one that’s worthwhile, and that’s Minecart Mania. Can you name any others? All the others tend to be tiny tweaks, which is fine, because it gives Notch time to work on the bigger stuff, stuff that actually matters. But yes, saying that a boatload of tiny, almost inconsequential tweaks is ‘driving development’ is absolutely ludicrous.

And to throw in my two pence, I think the vast majority of the texture packs look absolutely atrocious compared to vanilla Minecraft. And the reason for this is because these people don’t understand what made the visuals of Minecraft so enchanting in the first place. It’s temperate zone trees in Morrowind all over again. Just because a mod exists, it doesn’t mean it’s therefore naturally a mod worth using.

• Wulf says:

Thank you for your illustration, righteous_kill, it’s quite helpful.

• DoucheMullet says:

Wulf, you do realize Minecraft is in BETA right? As in, NOT FINISHED. People have a right to complain about a game that they spent their money on, expecting more in the future. When a AAA company creates a game and releases it, it is FINISHED. not in BETA.

Minecraft is shit anyway.

• Shadram says:

The Angry Internet Men are out in force today. I’m in the mood to spar with them.

The Minecraft site specifically states that when you purchase Minecraft, you purchase it in the state that it’s in at the time of purchase (I think I used the word “purchase” too many times there…) and as such, you’re not “entitled” to any more updates. You get the updates for free because Notch is a great guy and wants to keep his promise that you would (a promise he didn’t have to make). He never promised a particular number of updates, or how regularly they’d occur, or even that the game would ever reach Beta or Release status (assuming you bought the game in Alpha).

You certainly do have a right to complain, but make sure you complain about something you’re entitled to, and remember that Notch and everyone else in the world have a right to ignore your complaints.

Also, if you think Minecraft’s shit, stop playing and reading about it and spend your time on something you’ll find far more worthwhile and constructive.

• DoucheMullet says:

@Shadram

Where do you see me say even once that everyone who bought minecraft is entitled to the updates? If Notch does not continue updating his unfinished game, then he is a dick cashing in on false promises. Or wait, I guess he is somehow immune to criticism for being an indie developer according to Wulf’s logic.

By the way, I don’t play it, yet I’m forced to read about it every single day on this damn site because the writers are in such deep homosexual love with the damn game that if a two year old drew a chalk drawing of a minecraft character on some random street in the middle of nowhere, they would probably make a twelve paragraph post about it, then feature the article. I mean Christ, get off notch’s dick.

stahlwerk says:

…yet I’m forced to read about it every single day on this damn site…

Embossed for posterity.

• Shadram says:

You didn’t, but you did say
      a game that they spent their money on, expecting more in the future.
      which indicates that some (including, by inference, you) believed that they’d be getting more than what they were actually purchasing.

Right, finished work for the day, no more time-wasting, fighting with the internet. I’m off home to play Minecraft. Or maybe Warcraft. Or something else that all the cool people hate these days.

JB says:

“yet I’m forced to read about it every single day on this damn site”

Douche, PLEASE tell us who is forcing you and we can contact the authorities and have them stopped. Wait, are they in the room right now? Blink twice for yes and once for no. Oh god, they’re reading this, aren’t they? Run Douche, run while you can!

• Alex Bakke says:

The thing I don’t understand, and correct me if I’m wrong, is why people think they know exactly what Minecraft should contain.

That is, I don’t believe that Notch ever mentioned how many updates he would be putting out, or exactly what specific stuff is going to be in the game.

“Alright guys, I’m done. This is how I envisioned Minecraft, it’s great and I want it to stay that w-”

“NO, KEEP WORKING YOU PEON” *Whip*

• Wulf says:

@Shadram

I’m the very living definition of uncool and I still dislike World of Warcraft. Though in my case it’s more because the cool kids have flocked to WoW and you know it, and they radiate hatred at everything I find interesting and fun, which isn’t exactly the most comfortable environment for me. I mean, Blizzard might have listened if the community weren’t so intent on seeing the worgen design butchered, and even if I did decide to give it a go and play a worgen, I strongly suspect that my character would be mocked up and down Azeroth.

Yes, let’s play Warcraft, because what I want from a game is to hear “Wanna yiff?” from retarded 4channers every five seconds because I happen to enjoy doombeast characters.

Yeahhhno.

Whereas in Minecraft, I can wear whatever avatar I like, I can build what I like, and people can actually be pretty supportive. Thankfully, the comments on Notch’s blog page aren’t indicative of the sorts of people who play Creative, and even of some of those who play SMP.

The funny thing is that with DoucheMallet’s use of homosexual, he’s the perfect example of the kind of people I see in World of Warcraft, which is why I don’t play that game. Admittedly some of those people are in SMP too, which is usually why I hide out in SMP servers run by friends, or on Creative servers, where everyone seems to be friendly except for the odd troll (who’s quickly banned).

@DoucheMullet

I didn’t say that he was immune to any kind of criticism, that’s putting words in my mouth and you know it, but it doesn’t surprise me at all that you’re doing that. Not in the slightest. What I did say is that it’s cowardly to attack the little guy just because a crowd is doing so. The intelligent man would at least try to see something from Notch’s perspective, the idiot just joins the mob. That’s what mobs are for – cowardly idiots. And that’s exactly what Notch has had to put up with in his comments, a bloody mob.

• Urthman says:

Righteous_kill, you’re so ignorant. You think Notch is the only game developer who ever takes vacations?

Tell me. How does Notch’s work schedule compare to that of the team that made Gears of War 2?

What? You don’t know? You say you have no clue how games are made? What a surprise.

• The Hammer says:

Wulf, what you’re doing is a very silly thing. In once again ratting on WOW (in needlessly insulting terms too) you’re trying to make out the game’s community is a coherent whole, which is about as far away from the truth as can be. What you don’t seem to understand (probably because you haven’t actually done any research into the topic because hey, who needs the truth when you can just operate solely on plain nasty prejudices and amazing bouts of arrogance) is that WOW’s community is incredibly diverse. Sure, there are those people whom you describe, but there are also very mature, liberally-minded men and women who play the a socially, well-made game, and get what they want out of it: a richly-detailed world, lots of adventures, and a social element that beats any other game I’ve played.

In saying:

“The funny thing is that with DoucheMallet’s use of homosexual, he’s the perfect example of the kind of people I see in World of Warcraft, which is why I don’t play that game. ”

you’re unkindly, unreasonably, and unfeasibly casting a picture of the WoW playerbase that simply isn’t true, and you’re insinuating WOW is a hive of homophobia too, which is insulting and simply slanderous. When you buy a game, you’re not entering into that game’s community, and to try and categorise WOW’s playerbase as a community shows just how daft your opinions are in this case. The differences in age, personality, ideology, maturity levels, and, I might as well include, sexual orientation of the different subscribers to WOW is absolutely massive. WOW hasn’t, I beg you to believe, amassed 12 million racists, homophobes and misogynists. What it has done is given a lot of gamers and non-gamers alike a platform to game sociably. How can it be a community when I haven’t met 11.8 million of my supposed neighbours? You might as well stick such a statement in Private Eye’s “Communities” column, because the usage of the term here is so bloody banal.

The communities in WOW exist as smaller groups: in guilds of like-minded individuals. My next obligatory disclaimer to appease the opposing argument is that, yes, a lot of these guilds can be full of socially illiterate maniacs but a lot of these guilds are full of youngsters who are yet to mature and experience the deeper aspects of the real world. I run a guild that, you might be surprised to know (because, it seems to me, these people I’m about to mention don’t exist, can’t exist, and will never exist) includes Fallout fans, appreciators of French New Wave cinema, Minecraft players (not one myself but there you go), at least 5 Discworld lovers, and hey, a couple of people that enjoy Dwarf Fortress too. There’s huge amounts of cultural crossover there.

Now, knowing you, your next post will be along the lines of “Well, it just saddens me that those redeemable people choose to warp their minds with a charmless, yiff-infested treadmill”, which will be fine, because then we can get back to actually debating the merits and otherwise of a game, and not the widely unconnected mass of people that play it.

The funny thing is, I don’t even have to tell you all this, because if you actually took ten minutes of your day to have a look around WOW fansites – complete with feminist bloggers, aspiring fiction authors, and a lot of people extremely critical of a game that they nevertheless love – you’d see what I’m trying to tell you. You’d even see people complaining about the worgen look, as well as the appearances of a few of the female models in the game. Just because subscribers pay monthly doesn’t mean they’re completely engrossed in the fruits of Blizzard’s decisions.

13. starclaws says:

Hmmm guess they are done adding things to Minecraft. This … well… takes the cake on that matter.

14. DrugCrazed says:

YAY FOR SPAMMERS!

15. hualala says:

♥♥♥Something unexpected surprise♥♥♥

《Hey,friend, pls come to our website and have a look
    I am sure u will like it .All the productions are free shipping,and we accept paypal payment.Wish u have a nice day》the new season approaching, click in. Let’s facelift bar!

There are many fashion clothes high-heeled shoes
    welcome to:=== =========http://b2bjordans.com/ =================

The website wholesale for many kinds of fashion shoes,
    like the nike,jordan,prada, also including the jeans,shirts,bags,hat and the decorations.
    All the products are free shipping, and the the price is competitive,
    and also can accept the paypal payment.
    ,after the payment, can ship within short time.
    free shipping

COACH_Necklace $27

handbag $33

AF tank woman $17

puma slipper woman $30
    90X Extreme Fitness System ONLY ONLY 42$$$$$$$
    ======== http://www.b2bjordans.com/ ===============

if you like to order anything you like.More details,please just browse our website Quality is our Dignity;Service is our Lift.enjoy yourself.thank you!!

16. pepper says:

Right, so a WHOIS on b2bjordans.com shows us a mail address on the domain 163.com. Which as it appears to be is quite a big website run by chinese. cant we write a script that checks for any URL’s in posts, and runs a WHOIS on them. if it finds out the WHOIS is related to 163.com then it will block it? Not quite sure how hard scripting is for the wordpress system but im willing to give it a go. Oh, and also autoban the user if possible?

the top site that is behind this:

17. Teddy Leach says:

Yay for forking shoes!

18. brulleks says:

$17.00 for a Tank Woman?

I’m in…

• Araxiel says:

…aslong it’s not a “Tank Girl”, that movie was rubbish

19. DJ Phantoon says:

Will the cake be delicious and moist?

• Jeremy says:

That’s a ridiculous question, have you seen the image at the top of the article? It’s more lush than moist.

20. Araxiel says:

My wish would be somekind of mineshaft elevator. That would be truly awesome! And stronger wagons. And maybe “big wagons” with more power aka trains.

I’m basicly just annoyed by all the walking. So much walking!

21. Avenger says:

It would be cool if notch announced he put the cake in…
    … but DIDN’T.

People would go nuts on the forums, yelling how it is a lie and such.
    It would be hee-larious.

BTW I haven’t checked it out yet.