DC Universe Reveals “Robotic Super-Egg”

By Quintin Smith on January 11th, 2011 at 2:48 pm.

There’s a new trailer for DC Universe Online! It has a robotic super-egg in it! What is going on?

Egg on my face. The robotic super-egg is not at all a ridiculous invention of Sony Online Entertainment or a dark reinterpretation of Dizzy, but rather a DC villain who dates all the way back to 1965. I’ll just quote the relevant bits for you, shall I.

Egg Fu first debuted in Wonder Woman #157 (October 1965). He was a Chinese Communist agent, inexplicably shaped like an egg the size of a house, with a Charlie Chan-like speech pattern, who used his mustaches as whips against his enemies.

And:

Egg Fu the Fifth, a relative of the original Egg Fu, debuted in Wonder Woman #166 (November 1966)… Wonder Woman’s plane is drawn underwater into a giant seashell. Frogmen attack her and take her prisoner. She is brought to a secret base controlled by Egg Fu the Fifth. Held prisoner by her own magic lasso, Wonder Woman offers to dance for Egg Fu. She then performs a bracelet-clashing dance which cracks Egg Fu and allows her to escape and rescue the stolen submarine.

But then:

Following the Crisis on Infinite Earths, a new version of Egg Fu was introduced in Wonder Woman vol. 2, #128 (December 1997). This Egg Fu is a nineteenth century super-computer, recently rediscovered and turned into one of many carnival attractions along Gateway City’s Oceanside boardwalk, despite public protests that the attraction is racially insensitive.

And finally:

Following the events of Infinite Crisis, a new version of Egg Fu appears, calling himself Chang Tzu… Chang Tzu is the mastermind, along with Bruno “Ugly” Mannheim, behind the kidnappings of many mad scientists in the comic book series 52. They are forcibly recruited into Chang’s “Science Squad” based on Oolong Island. Chang has a large, egg-shaped body with facial features and cracked skin, mounted in a spider-legged chair for mobility. He is equipped with small prosthetic hands that allow him to manipuate items and equipment; he is also armed with hidden weaponry.

So there you have it. Where was I? Oh yeah, MMORPG trailer.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Ian says:

What an EGGSTREMELY odd bad guy.

2. Big Murray says:

Fear his lethal cholesterol.

3. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

Looks like he’s a bit of a bad egg

4. Ricc says:

That’s messed up… in a good way. Reminds me of Marvel’s new look for Modok.

5. patricij says:

In Soviet Marvel, egg fries you…

6. CaLe says:

I need to hear some opinions on this before trying it.. Seems like it could be fun though.

• Howl says:

Yes, less yolking about and more spilling of beans pl0x.

I’m steering clear because SOE have touched it so some feedback would be great.

• outoffeelinsobad says:

It kinda feels like it wants to be a MMO Brawler, but the combat doesn’t have any heft. The character animation and collision physics are terrible, so the flying around and wall-crawling are just silly to watch. Add to that the poorly designed environments, and, basically, they screwed up everything you thought would be cool about a serial comic MMO.

• destroy.all.monsters says:

Stay away until they get all the launcher issues fixed or they provide torrents or alternate downloads.

The launcher app is a mess. Don’t take my word for it – go to the tech forum here:

7. Doesntmeananything says:

No to chuckle at this chap is like to shave an egg.

8. Wolfox says:

Wow… I’m eggstatic!

9. Jake says:

52 by Grant Morrison (I’m a big fan) is a really great story that features Chang Tzu and Oolong Island. I love how DC doesn’t shy away from incorporating their crazy golden/silver age characters, evolving them rather than rebooting them as Marvel does. DC have telepathic gorillas and egg computers and somehow make mature stories with these characters without making everything dark and gritty.

• TheTingler says:

Grant Morrison in particular loves doing this, grabbing kooky insane Silver Age ideas and then making them darker and more believable. His update of Bat-Mite is a particularly favourite of mine!

Egg Fu though is just the best. 52 was utterly superb. I hated Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, Countdown and most of the spin-offs, but all 52 issues of 52 were superb.

10. Tei says:

He probably have eggo problems

11. Shih Tzu says:

The big egg! It was a twofer! Two-fer-one big egg!

12. Urthman says:

I loved Tom Chick’s trollish announcement about DC Online yesterday. (I’m talking about the picture he used). I could feel the internets trembling with nerdrage.

13. Handsome Dead says:

The Robotic Super-Egg tag is underused.

14. One Million Monkeys says:

The warning in the beginning for mild suggestive themes. Was those about the egg?

15. thesundaybest says:

The man is a master of in-word dramatic pause.

“Ro…botic.”

“..and all his ro…bots”

16. Froibo says:

These jokes are all spoiled rotten.

17. Navagon says:

Quick! Scramble the superheroes!

18. Ginger Yellow says:

Silver Age comics for the win!

19. The Innocent says:

He looks like a monster from the cover of a Goosebumps book.

20. gwathdring says:

I’m still trying to figure out what a racist super computer has to do with any of this. Or with a carnival …

21. Arglebargle says:

My stint in DCUO beta left me disliking the interface, and shaking my head over the backstory. Hey, The Flash actually makes a ‘Back in a Flash’ comment! Ugh. In the ‘To be avoided’ category.

• Christian O. says:

“This is what happens when you absolutely have to get stories out on schedule. At a loss for any decent ideas? Robot Egg! It’s just comics, it won’t matter.”

What, you suddenly become creative? I seriously don’t understand people who take such an adamant stance against absurdity. Absurdity is awesome and too much fiction is bogged down by attempts to be realistic, instead of well-written, interesting, entertaining and emotionally resonant.

22. MadTinkerer says:

The goofyness of including Egg Fu… sorry, Chang Tsu in a game aside, the trailer excites me because this area is based on one of my favorite sub-plots of 52. It’s especially interesting because although it was a good story, if I recall correctly the area didn’t exist prior to the story and got destroyed by [spoiler censored] at the end. It’s not like Arkham Asylum or Lexcorp Tower that have been around forever: it was a particular one-shot location.

One wonders if Oolong Island is in the game, are they going to have a World War III event? (incidentally, I’m referring to the 52 World War III subplot, not other stories by the same name) This would be interesting and appropriate since 52 was all about C list heroes, similar to the player characters in the DC Universe MMO, ultimately banding together and saving the world without the help of A-listers like Superman. If so, I think I’m getting DC Universe online.

BTW: To all those who think Chang Tsu is too weird and random of a villain to include in a “serious” superhero MMO, you need to read some of the stories he’s in. He’s aware of how ridiculous he looks and is sensitive about it and will execute you on the spot if you make fun of him. And then he’ll unleash the literal four horsemen of the apocalypse (technically cyborgs, but still able to devastate vast sections of the world) and kill millions of people just to make sure no one is laughing at him anymore.

23. destroy.all.monsters says:

I would have liked to have been able to try out this game during beta. Got my key, tried downloading it dozens of times. Always a problem. Minimal support (I am being gracious here). No other way to download the game other than through their poorly designed launcher app.

I’d give it a few months. See if Sony actually commits to doing it right. I think it’s doubtful but am cautiously optimistic.

Comment on this story