Keen Prospector: Miner Wars 2081 Demo

By Jim Rossignol on January 11th, 2011 at 2:26 pm.

Hmm, this is odd. I updated my preordered version and had a play last night, and there didn’t seem to be all that much new in the build, so I am assuming this pre-Alpha demo is basically just the same tech demo (which has some basic environments, weapons in, mining tech and so forth, but very little actual game content) that shows off how the game will look and feel. And while a little empty it’s really worth taking a glance at, because the tech is something special for an indie outfit this size, the atmospherics are really good, and the game is altogether a pretty promising prospect. (See what I did there?) It’s available here, anyway, and I am looking forward to watching this progress.

, .

1. Rond says:

I just remembered about this game an hour ago, wondered if I should preorder it, went to the official site and downloaded an installer. You are charged with thought infringement, sir!

2. Flaringo says:

the rps hivemind

3. Alex Bakke says:

“the atmospherics are really good”

Hah, good stealth pun.

4. Linfosoma says:

I’ve pre-ordered this a while ago, it’s really good, I like turning the flight assist off and flying around with full Newtonian physics.

5. Dominic White says:

The demo is apparently limited to just one small zone. It’ll update alongside the preorder version, but it’s only going to give players a feel for the game, rather than be the game itself.

6. Rond says:

Well, I tried the demo out.
    Destruction engine looks pretty neat, I’d like to see it in actual gameplay, but there’s really not much to do in demo. Maybe I’ll preorder it, but can someone elaborate on this “Miner Wars MMO will be a separate product” thing? Will it cost another 15-20 bucks? Also the developer said “Miner War’s client on your computer will not only check if it’s connected, but it will let server do some calculations and logic”. That’s some crazy-ass DRM, it sounds like it could cause lags even in single-player.

• patricij says:

Everyone who preorders the game should get the MMO….it says so in the store.

• Rond says:

Nope.
      Here’s what it says in the store:
      “Included: Access to the pre-alpha test phase of the game and full version of the game upon release. Single Player/Co-Op/Standard Multi-Player. Miner Wars MMO will be a separate product.” – minerwars.com
      “Miner Wars MMO will be a separate product and is not part of the current pre-order discount!” – Impulse

• Dominic White says:

People who preordered earlier than december get the MMO side once it’s complete, apparently. That includes me, and probably Jim

7. Conor says:

I’ve played it. I like it.. It’s nice blowing holes in asteroids. I like it.

8. Sardaukar says:

I like it, and I look forward to it, but please for the love of god they need to ditch the model they advertise most often as your mine-craft (hoho). It’s an old, ugly ship that screams out “we’re not really sure what we’re doing so we bought this in a model pack because it looks so superbulkytoughspacemancool.”

9. Mattressi says:

I feel like Mr Negative today, buuuuut: this game has Ubi DRM (i.e. requires constant internet connection for single player) . Check their forums. They keep vehemently denying that it is Ubi DRM, but have confirmed that the client will periodically check that you are connected to their servers while playing SP and that it will be impossible to even crack the game to play SP because some of the game code is missing from the client and is only found server side. Link: http://www.minerwars.com/ForumTopic.aspx?id=95

The CEO originally seems to imply that they’ve kept some of the code server side to prevent piracy, but later in the thread tries to claim it’s like that because the next game will be an MMO (I don’t see the reasoning, but whatever). He also tried to claim it was the same as Minecraft’s ‘DRM’; though Minecraft let’s people play SP offline. I’m not even going to bother playing the demo now (I’d hate to find out that it’s a good game when I know I’ll never buy it).

Just thought I’d give people a heads up; because the company is in denial that it is any kind of DRM, they still say that it is DRM free, so it might not be readily apparent to some people.

JiminyJickers says:

Yeah, unfortunately that is a definite killer for me. Thanks for the heads-up.

• Dominic White says:

Things are very vague on that front – it’s probably nowhere near time to pass judgement yet.

From what I can figure, the ‘game-logic’ thing seems to be more along the lines of single and multiplayer stuff being tied together on some kind of metagame level. If that’s so, I’ll be interested to see how it plays out.

Let’s not go into full knee-jerk paranoia mode, hrm?

• Mattressi says:

I wouldn’t say it’s paranoia; the game definitely requires you to be online to play singelplayer. Certainly it would be interesting to have an optional singleplayer metagame, but it doesn’t change the fact that there’s no offline singelplayer. Perhaps their motives aren’t purely ‘evil’ (i.e. they actually think their customers want this, rather than their pirates don’t want it), but the end result is the same. I simply like to be able to play my singleplayer games on the move.

10. MrBRAD! says:

I would not mind to see this studio sink. Their business model is horrendous and their referral system is a disgusting idea that just fills forums with spam.

…and these are only the things that we DO know of so far, the sly greedy bastards.