Sniper’s CryEngine Sequel Sighted

By Jim Rossignol on January 11th, 2011 at 2:16 pm.

City Interactive announced last month that they are now working on four FPS games, and that CryEngine 3 had been licensed for (at least some of) them. One of those has now been confirmed as the sequel to Sniper: Ghost Warrior (which everyone told me to avoid, but I guess must have sold okay to be getting a sequel), as confirmed by this news story on Eurogamer.se, which is teasing a full interview with City Interactive’s chief producer Michal Sroczynski. No other details yet, but I suspect it’s going to involve shooting people in the head. Any other predictions, crosshair fans?

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. patricij says:

It’s going to have men with AKs…

2. airtekh says:

I predict crates and/or barrels.

• Navagon says:

‘splodey barrels. Barrels are just oversized tins without the ‘splode.

3. Navagon says:

I wonder if Sniper 2 will feature sniping this time. Or will they still be too distracted by Modern Warfare?

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

In the game’s defense, the last level had sniping.

• Navagon says:

At least it didn’t finish with a gigantic boss battle.

• GoodPatton says:

SPOILER ALERT (for anyone that cares):

Yeah, no big boss battle, just one shot and a fade to black…credits roll.

I’ll probably buy the sequel…

4. ZIGS says:

At least City Interactive seems to be getting out of the bargain bin

• Sarkhan Lol says:

Yes, overpricing is definitely one way to achieve that.

5. finbikkifin says:

I don’t want to shoot mans there. It looks too pretty! I just want to wander around exploring it. :(

6. DarkFenix says:

I wonder if you’ll actually be a sniper in the sequel.

7. Xercies says:

I saw the gameplay of Sniper and it looked like a kind of stealthy game but all that focusing on the sniper physics didn’t really look all that great because there were no Sniper Physics from what I could see.

8. Mccy_McFlinn says:

I didn’t hate Sniper: Ghost Warrior. It had its faults but overall I actually enjoyed it. I think the biggest problem the game faced was that they called it Sniper. There’s not actually been a good sniper-centric game yet despite this Ghost Warrior had some good missions in it but was interspersed with less than average MW2-esque levels.

I think sniping works best in games when its not the main focus. Hidden and Dangerous 2 for example had some excellent scope (PUN!) for sniping and implemented it very well. I’ve heard some people citing Sniper Elite as a much better game – the annals of time seem to have erroded their memories as that game was just as much a mixed bag as Ghost Warrior.

• Javier-de-Ass says:

hm four now? so one might still be another of their own terrible shooter IPs, Battlestrike or Terrorist Takedown or whatever. the other two are Alien Fear by The Farm 51, and that new guaranteed awful Black game.

• a.nye.123 says:

I think they called it Sniper because their previous game was Sniper: Art of War, and it was the same franchise.

9. Javier-de-Ass says:

too bad mirage isn’t around anymore to make more HORRIBLE games in the Sniper franchise. path of vengeance was something special, as was the mortyr series. hehe. there has to be more to the link between mirage and city interactive than just the sniper games.

oh wait, it seems like the battlestrike series is a continuation of the mortyr series aswell. weird. mirage dev team went on to become gingerbread studios, made a game, hidden target/jonathan kane: the protector for city interactive, and then disappeared again.

10. DOLBYdigital says:

I like the idea of collecting all the annoying sniper whores and putting them together so they can annoy each other and sit around in the woods and focus on their k/d rate without helping their teammates in any fashion. So I hope they continue with this theme if only to make other online games better :)

11. GoodPatton says:

Possibly the worst ending of any video game I’ve ever played.

Though the game as a whole did score high on the ‘it’s so bad it’s kinda good’ scale.

12. Collic says:

Does anyone remember Sniper:Elite? That was a great game, from what I heard sniper:ghost warrior was utter tosh.

13. Ezhar says:

I predict it will get banned in Germany.