Spell Chucker: Z-Type

By John Walker on January 11th, 2011 at 4:42 pm.

Try not to break your neck.

Clearly there will never be a typing game as good as The Typing Of The Dead. I mean: HOW COULD THERE BE? Come on now. But this rather nifty little typing shooter, as spotted by PCG’s Rich Mc will do to rattle around inside the void. In Z-Type, words descend from the top of the screen, which must be typed to be shot. That’s it. It works. You should play it. (And yes, that screenshot is sideways, don’t worry.)

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. fishmitten says:

It should also be noted that this is pure HTML5 wizardry!

• BAReFOOt says:

Apropos: I wonder how webGL in Firefox 4 (well, actually Firefox 2, if you look at Gecko) will change the gaming landscape. No Unity, no Flash, no Java, no plug-ins at all needed. Plus, you could use the same GL code for mobile phone* games, since they all have OpenGL ES, which is exactly the same as far as I know.
      ___
      * Might, as usual, exclude the Apple iPhone phone (…phone?) ;)

• Aemony says:

That might explain why it crashed my Chrome Stable within a minute of playing it! >_>

• Mctittles says:

Well, javascript wizardry I would say. You can’t really program anything in HTML5.

2. Xercies says:

It would definitely be a harder game if it was sideways.

• BAReFOOt says:

It’s also definitely a harder game, if you have another keyboard layout that the game wasn’t designed for. Unless of course it’s NEO 2.0. ;)
      First try: Level 15, Score 945, Accuracy 86.1%
      Somehow the spreading single-letter things got me into information overload, and I started mistyping. Especially since it only lets you shoot at something else, after you’re finished with the last one. Which may make sense, but still in very annoying when you can’t see what that would be, because it’s obscured by other ships. :/

• Xercies says:

When that big thing shooted out those little fighter ships it just crushed my brain. I can type quite fast, I got to level 13 but I definitely cannot touch type which would definitely be a help for this kind of game.

• simonh says:

I got to level 44. 7535 score, 94.8% accuracy.
      What got me was that when there are a lot of enemies on the screen, they sometimes start on the same letter, so you start typing on another enemy than you think you’re typing on, and that can really throw you off.

So how far did you PROFESSIONAL GAMES-TYPERS get then?

3. Moni says:

The developer posted it on Reddit /r/programming, and some clever so and so figured out how to skip levels because everyone says the game is too easy.

Paste the following into the address bar before starting the game to skip to level 100.

javascript:(function(){for(var i=0;i<100;i++){ig.game.nextWave();}})()

4. frenz0rz says:

Fun stuff! Its a shame the graphics all screwed up around the 15th level and I couldnt see what I was doing any more.

5. Rob Hale says:

This crashed my browser for me. Fun though!

6. Heliosicle says:

Hmm got to level 19 with 1778 points.

7. somnolentsurfer says:

Woah, those big things that shoot letters everywhere make it a bit harder.

8. Lightbulb says:

Very good game. I got stuck on a word trying to type single letters.

9. Serenegoose says:

score: 4053
    accuracy 93.5%

Wave 33 or 34?

pretty good for two fingered typing!

But now I can’t type properly :(

10. KBKarma says:

Got to wave 23. The hardest part is not hitting backspace or space after every word or mistake respectively. The latter wastes time, and the former goes back if you’re not in a new tab.

How do you find out your accuracy? The only things that got past me were those single-character missiles. And only about six over the entirety.

11. KBKarma says:

Also, I made my earlier comment (the first paragraph), tried to edit it, and the spam detector eated it again. The Drop Us A Line link 404s…

• KBKarma says:

OK, NOW I get it, contact sport.

I got to wave 35 or so.
      Score: 5352
      Accuracy: 96.3%

Rather pleased.

12. Bungle says:

This is way too easy for people that know how to type. I’m at level 50 and haven’t started trying yet. The game needs an option to start at a high level for people that already know how to type.

• Serenegoose says:

onpwren fmemw dnwq p[lp!

• Dougal McFrugal says:

well I definately CAN’t type properly (I can only type without looking at the keys when I dont think about it bizarely) and managed a grand total of 1652 with 89% accuracy. level 18 i think.

I’m sort of strangely proud

EDIT: Just got told I was posting too quickly on my first post in months

• patricij says:

I agree on that…I got bored after 22 levels and quit. It got me laughing when some of the ships hardly reached the screen before exploding under my mad writing skillz of doom.

13. WaveringRadiant says:

Nice browser distraction for a few minutes, but PopCap’s Typer Shark is much better, and much more challenging, even for seasoned typists.

Devenger says:

Agreed. I actually have the deluxe version of Typer Shark (and I don’t normally go in for PopCap’s paid version offerings). Seeing how long I could survive in the ‘Bermuda Triangle’ (if I remember correctly) endless finale of the campaign was good fun, with the ghost sharks and suchlike making target selection as important as typing speed.

Horza says:

The hardest (and most frustrating) thing about this is when there’s 2 words beginning with the same letter and you end up typing the wrong word.

15. JeCa says:

Yea, it could definitely use some cleaning up. For example I’m still not sure what the targeting priorities are, but they sure messed me up a lot of times. It also really, really needs an option to start at later levels (thanks though Moni). I’m not an especially fast typer and not entirely fluent in English but still got to Level 27 without a ship getting past the centre of the screen before I had to shut down.

Still very neat, might see if some other family members want to practice typing with it ;)

16. Aemony says:

Level 45, accuracy 83%. Fun little game, when it doesn’t crash your browser, that is.

EDIT: Closed the damn tab and my browser crashed. I’m not going to play that again.

17. Friend says:

Decent game, but as has been pointed out, multiple words starting with the same letter should not spawn simultaneously. It doesn’t seem to pick the word that’s nearest you all the time, and it certainly doesn’t always choose the one I’m trying to write. Only reason I lost was because one of those damn lettering spawning ships spat out half the alphabet, and then I couldn’t type the words I was aiming at. Pretty dumb, but aside from that, fairly fun game.

Ended up level 76 I think; 23,875 score, 95.9% accuracy.

18. Adriaan says:

This game is awesome! It crashes at after around 5 to 10 minutes of play here though.
    Got to level 55 with around 95% accuracy.

19. Qwentle says:

The words appear one at a time. Is it just me that wishes they’d spell out a story?

Personally I’ve been using computers for work for years, so I got bored by level 30 (only about 1 ship per wave even made it on screen), but I’m definately recommending this to my sister to use with her class at school (This is freeware and doesn’t have heads exploding, which kind of puts school boards off TotD)

20. Peter Milley says:

That became work way too quickly.

21. DarkFenix says:

Firefox crashed on level 49 for me. At any rate it clearly wasn’t going to get difficult anytime soon (not for anyone who’s been touchtyping for years anyway). I was a bit bored by 30 but figured I’d see if it went anywhere. It’s irritating when there is more than one word beginning with a letter and it commits to the wrong one.

22. Lightbulb says:

Someone did post a hack to take you to level 100 higher up the page…

23. Nimic says:

Well, that was annoying. Not the game, that is, but the game crashing. Lvl 49 or 50, almost 10,000 points. The only times it was even marginally challenging was when the big ones shot out the single letters, which only happened a couple of times (I assume I got the rest before they had the chance).

I don’t strictly touchtype. That is, I pretty much use all my fingers on my left hand, but really only one or two on the right hand. It gets a lot of work done.

24. Ezhar says:

Nice tech demo, but as game it’s too easy. Should be able to start playing at wave 50 or so. Runs smooth and stable in Safari (Mac). Not as fun as Typing of the Dead tho :)