Bulletstorm Diorama For Satirical Reference

By Jim Rossignol on January 12th, 2011 at 2:57 pm.

I spent some time trying to figure out how to crowbar in my own reference to that bit in The Simpsons where Skinner declares there to be a “diorama-rama”, but it just didn’t work. Anyway, this is the Bulletstorm trailer where they get clever, because it’s a diorama scene that reference’s Halo’s one, and that is like a satire or something. Ah, “pastiche”. Yeah, that’s the stuff. Go watch it, and think about how well Epic know their audience. Pretty well, I reckon.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. harmen says:

That would be pastiche. Unless they are funny.

2. HermitUK says:

Reminded me of this masterpiece

3. KBKarma says:

Bulletstorm: subtle, it ain’t.

4. AndrewC says:

I didn’t think that it was noticeably more funny than the Gears Of War adverts. Imma get the game.

5. Bhazor says:

Awww, so we’re not allowed to find gross Bottom style slapstick funny anymore? Wish you’d told me sooner.

6. Alex Bakke says:

Oh, bravo.

7. Calabi says:

This game better be good.

8. Stephen Roberts says:

That music really bugs me. I swear I’ve owned it. But I can’t find it anywhere. Also, call me a philistine but I hadn’t see the Halo 3 original until after this.

The world of gaming could do with more post modernism. References to other media. I mean, look at Super Meat Boy. It’s the homage machine. That’s a lot of it’s charm.

9. ukpanik says:

Reminded me a bit of the chapman brothers ‘hell’

10. edit says:

I enjoyed the vid. The music is Chopin’s “Raindrops” Prelude, Op 25, no 15. I hadn’t seen the Halo original before this either.

About the game itself, though, by the day I’m getting more and more sick of purely combat focused games.. First person gaming has such incredible potential for immersion, exploration, new game styles, etc etc, but it seems we just keep blowing peoples’ heads off, over and over again. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve enjoyed loads of these games and still play a fair few, but I really struggle to get remotely excited about new ones, unless they have a deep story\conceptual element or some unmissably innovative gameplay mechanic. Not even pretty tech is enough to hold my interest anymore.. I thought Crysis was awful.

• Ziv says:

This one is VERY special, it features Specialty kills (i.e., Skillshots): enemies can be dismembered with explosives; impaled on spikes; and drilled into walls, resulting in body parts breaking into pieces. During the course of the game, players can consume alcohol and kill enemies in order to receive an Intoxicated Skillshot. The dialogue contains numerous jokes and comments that reference sexual acts, venereal diseases, and having sex with one’s mother (e.g., “Guess I know where the ol’ gal got that limp.”). The names of some Skillshots are infused with sexual innuendo (e.g., Gag Reflex, Rear Entry, Drilldo, Mile High Club); one Skillshot (i.e., Fire in the Hole) allows players to shoot at enemies’ exposed buttocks.

Language such as “f**k,” “sh*t,” “p*ssy,” and “c*ck” can be heard in dialogue.

• DOLBYdigital says:

I completely agree, if its just going to be another shooter with a KICK button then I could care less. Shooters have to have something innovative for me to be interested. This game just seems like its trying to be cool by referencing dirty jokes but it looks like it will get old very fast. shoot, kick, shoot, kick

I’ll see what RPS’s ‘Wot I think’ says but it will have to be a glowing overview for me to check it out.

• Bhazor says:

“I thought Crysis was awful.”
      So you didn’t play it then?

If you want gameplay innovation how about the game being lots and lots and lots and lots of fun.

• Hematite says:

@Ziv, ah, I’ll have to buy it then. I’ve always wanted to know how to pronounce f**k.

• Barnaby says:

I didn’t enjoy Crysis very much either. Opinion, AWAY!

• edit says:

@Ziv , Thanks for the info, I can now be certain that the game isn’t for me. Not because I’m a prude or anything, but because by the sounds of it, the game is pretty much reveling in everything I’m sick of.

@Bhazor , I played as much of it as I could bear. I wanted to get my money’s worth. I just found it depressingly generic and linear. I wasn’t expecting Far Cry with a new coat of paint, either. Crysis and Far Cry 2 should have swapped titles.

Aw, now I look like a whinger. I don’t have a problem with this game existing, or with people enjoying it. I probably would have enjoyed it in the past. I just wish there were more devs pushing in the exact opposite direction.

• Tatourmi says:

Well, I did got tired of recent shooters too (including crysis which was in my opinion one of the most generic shooters of all time. With a generic story and a generic gameplay, even though the fact that you could tear a lot of things apart helped it.). The whole wanking over a gun’s specs is over me (who cares if it is a dunno what caliber with some kind of full auto caseless gizmo reload? Gimme my baddass super plasma boomstick!) and I frankly find all of those Hollywood like scenarios plain bad. Apart from valve’s ones most recent shooters don’t get my seal of approval, one of the thing that had me gaining interest into the independant video game scene, where true creation iz performed (it’s aliiive!). Realism looks to me the wrong way to go as it is most of the time the opposite of imaginative and original. “Don’t copy, create.” is a motto that would get my attention. And here comes bulletstorm, a good old shooter with an insane universe getting us to kill everything in every possible way with imaginative weapons. It is just what I expected from the genre and I am glad they did it. Not a generic shooter but it should be in my opinion.

11. ArtyFishal says:

Due in no small part to the advertising campaign, I think an important detail about this game has been lost and needs to be reemphasized. This game is being developed by People May Fly, the geniuses behind the wonderfully stupid Painkiller! Epic has become a household name due to their mega-hit Gears of War and is making the correct marketing move by ensuring that their name is synonymous with Bulletstorm, but the core developing team is the one that was behind Painkiller- People May Fly.

• Jad says:

Yes yes thank you. I end up saying this in every Bulletstorm article. Every time people say “I hate Gears of War so I’m sure I’ll hate Bulletstorm” it sounds like someone saying “I hate Oblivion so I’m sure I’ll hate Rage”.

• bill says:

People also seem to forget that Painkiller had major problems, and got pretty crappy reviews on release, because it has “a gun that shoots shuriken and lightning”.

• RegisteredUser says:

PK was one of the most solid graphic and game engines I have encountered personally, and I was impressed.

The game was received well by those that enjoyed PC shooters.
      I have no idea where you got other claims from.

Metascore is 81 for Painkiller.

And I will never forget that the people behind this are PCF, because they used to do it 100% right with PK, and are now creating a “2 slots should be enough for everyone” crippleware game.

12. Shazbut says:

Jim, you could have crowbarred in a reference to Bonestorm instead.

13. Tei says:

Nice art at the service of poo jokes. But.. he.. nice art.

14. vodkarn says:

I think the best video-game adds I can remember from recent times are the Bad Company ones, though this one is funny too.

15. RegisteredUser says:

If this is truly a nod to Halo, then this is pretty much the last confirmation(as if there was one needed) that they are giving PC gamers the finger and abandoning everything People Can Fly have learned and hard-won as sympathy from the gaming community and diving headfirst into the “Dumb-it-down-crown” dumpster of restrict-everything-lest-they-be-overwhelmed-by-the-challenge-of-choice garbage.

In short: Another promising crew of formerly PC game makers mutilated into a slew of consolish crappyness.

So, yes, definitely a nod to Halo then.

16. Basilard says:

Neither satire not pastiche. It’s actually a parody

• Tatourmi says:

It is a satire and a pastiche, oh and is is also a parody. The terms aren’t exclusive. A satire is an aggressive and humorous genre. A pastiche is an imitation of the style of the “mother text”. And a parody is a conscious and comical imitation, of the style or of the contents (or of both), often satirical (but not always). Very few litterary terms are exclusive.

17. Alwayswright says: