Play Monday Night Combat On A Wednesday

By Quintin Smith on January 12th, 2011 at 2:08 pm.

We knew colourful multiplayer future-scrap Monday Night Combat was coming out on PC on the 24th of January. We did. What we didn’t know, and by “We” I mean “I”, what I didn’t know, right, was that if you pre-order it on Steam you basically could have been playing the beta this whole time.

But then, if you wanted up-to-the-minute news you’d be reading a newspaper or something. Perhaps you’d simply be prowling the streets, asking passers-by if they’d heard any news. Any news from you, sir, up Nottingham way? No? Damn.

Anyway, it’s not too late to enjoy Monday Night Combat’s Team Fortress-meets-Tower-Defense action ahead of the release date. There are still twelve days left! Go, go! And if you missed it first time around, here’s the excellent PC trailer again.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Eclipse says:

still on the fence on this one…

• abhishek says:

Yea. The game looks kind of interesting but my biggest concern is whether it will have any sort of community after the first few weeks or not. Games like Lead & Gold, Shattered Horizon etc. release on Steam and then just seem to die out. Something tells me that might happen to this one too.

• subedii says:

That’s probably my big question about this game as well: Will the community be there?

On the flipside, games like Killing Floor still have really active communities. Sometimes you really can’t tell how it’s going to go. I’m guessing the constant sales probably helped it, but still. The devs gave it a fair amount of support, and people kept buying and playing. It offered something unique enough to draw people back, even whilst people were making constant comparisons to Left 4 Dead.

• Hypocee says:

I’m not interested in community multiplayer either, and was going to pass it by until I learned that there’s coop and single player survival tower defence. They show player character versus player character in the trailers because it’s funny, but apparently even in the team versus mode most of your shots go into enemy robots.

• Chalkster says:

@Hypocee
      Yeah, it’s very much like DotA in that respect. Pushing the lanes and taking down turrets punctuated with intense encounters with enemy players. I find it really fun. It seems to have some serious support on the Dev side, too. They’re making quick patches and listening to the community in their forums for balance changes and suggestions on the PC. I don’t know if this will continue past the beta, but all signs point to yes.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Not playing it out of fear the community might not be big enough is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
      The only gripe I had during the beta were the lack of enough European dedicated servers, but that seems to have sorted itself out now.*

It’s a very fun game and a good change of pace from TF2, which I played to death by now.

*Note that currently there is an unfortunate bug that shows populated servers as empty. Don’t despair, just join one.

• ArthurBarnhouse says:

I think the biggest barrier to the game having a huge community is that it’s only 6v6. A lot of PC gamer s see that and assume it’s going to suck. I really can’t imagine the game as a 12v12 or even an 8v8, the maps are too small and the towers are too weak, but such small teams screams “Bad PC port” for a lot of people. I hope people give it a fair shake, and I’d think the price would help, but the truth is that Steam is littered with $10-$20 multiplayer only games.

• Jahkaivah says:

Whether or not there is going to be a strong enough community is likely to be a simply a question of whether or not its going to be a good game. Which from what I understand, it is.

• ScubaMonster says:

I agree with Malawi Frontier Guard. If everybody held off from buying it, then there would not be any chance of a community forming. I’d say if it’s something you’d like to play then give it a whirl.

2. Doesntmeananything says:

It’s interesting how the game has “sports” as one of its genres. Does it actually have anything to do with sports except for a slight reference in the title?

• subedii says:

Only in the same way that Unreal Tournament was ostensibly a future sports tournament.

• Callum says:

The game centres around a futuristic death sport (a’la Unreal Tournament) which takes place in a giant arena where opposing teams fight it out. Other than that it’s really not got anything to do with sports at all.

Anyways this is a really cool game, the beta has a number of problems (including one of the worst server browsers I’ve ever had to use) but it’s a good mashup of TF2/DotA and it’s incredibly fun to play.

3. Schaulustiger says:

After a few hours with the beta I’m still a bit underwhelmed. The shooting feels unsatisyfing due to a pretty wide bullet spread and turrets don’t actually feel as useful as they sound on paper.

They’re still patching and polishing the game, so I’ll remain hopeful.

• Chalkster says:

Once you get enough in game cash to purchase a custom class, you can influence that. Basically, every class has three endorsements, even the default ones. A custom class allows you to choose the endorsements for your position. Accuracy is one of them, clip size another, firing rate, running speed, health, skill regen, juice, and many more. Different endorsements are better suited to different positions. For example, accuracy is basically useless for a sniper, tank, or assassin, as the sniper has a pinpoint hitscan weapon, the tank has two non-spread weapons, and the assassin’s mostly a melee class and has a fairly accurate secondary already. However, adding accuracy to a gunner or assault is almost key, reducing the weapons spread and assuring that every bullet hits its mark.

You are allowed 3 of these endorsements per custom class, and there are 6 custom class slots to unlock. The endorsements, as well as the chosen position, can be switched out at will. Adding an accuracy endorsement to your character would probably make the spread more suited to your tastes.

• Barnaby says:

Thanks for the clarification Chalkster. I might end up trying this once it is on sale.

4. Wolfox says:

How good is the single-player? I’m not really interested in MP, but the prospect of a TF2/DotA hybrid with good bot support and decent single player is awesome. So, anyone?

• Chalkster says:

Sadly single player is blitz only, which is more tower defense than DotA. It’s really fun though, I’ve been playing around with it quite a bit. There is no AI classes, to my knowledge.

5. Tei says:

Pros:
    – Is a very fun game
    – Great design
    – Great style, animations
    – I runs ok on my comp

Cons:

I can’t think of any… Maybe that is a game that I would not play all the days of the week? Is not a MMO, is a class based FPS with turrets and creep.

6. trjp says:

Played this a bit on the 360 where there’s not even remotely enough stuff in single-player to justify the cost of entry, so unless the PC version has more single-player stuff, I’d say that’s not really a selling point.

FPS and Tower Defence is an odd hybrid too – you need eyes in the back AND sides of your head really – but that makes it frantic which is probably a plus.

The multiplayer is fun BUT as people have said it will need a community and historically, most games like this never get one.

That said – that’s like talking yourself into a depression isn’t it? If you have NO friends, you may be better hitting a more popular title – however otherwise this is fun.

• ArthurBarnhouse says:

The “Cost of Entry” is $15. That’s what the shitty Vietnam expansion for BC2 cost, and the only new content in that was a single new weapon and three maps.

• Lim-Dul says:

There is such a thing as a multiplayer only title and MNC pretty much is one. It’s like asking how much single player content there is in Q3, BF2 or TF2.

7. pakoito says:

I don’t think it’ll work on my crappy laptop, If it would I’d buy it as a TF2 substitute.

8. Basilicus says:

I keep on trying to convince myself by watching gameplay, but I just don’t see how it could unseat TF2, Day of Defeat, and Shattered Horizon for my multiplayer fix.

9. lolfang says:

I’ll wait until it’s five bucks or less.

10. DOLBYdigital says:

Good game, I’ve been playing it on and off for the last couple weeks and its getting even better with each update. Its similar to Dota but with a shooter focus and the ability for anyone to upgrade turrents. To be honest, I actually like the survival tower defense mode called ‘Blitz’ better since its co-op. They just need more maps which I believe they said they plan to provide an editor. Definitely worth the cheap price in my opinion. If everyone just keeps saying ‘it may not have a community’ then it won’t have a community, self fulfilling prophecy….

11. DuckSauce says:

Just dropping in to say, I got this and it’s good in it’s own special way.
    So far the beta’s been running for a fair few days, playerbase seems steady so far.

Unlike Lead&Gold, it’s got Dedicated servers already, so I don’t think it will die out as easily.

12. Miker says:

I’ve played a fair amount of the beta, and I think it’s a winner. Though it might be a little light on content, its core mechanics are pretty sound. As everybody has already said, it’s a mash-up of third-person shooting/tower defense/DotA, and it all mixes together pretty well.

The devs are also working hard to patch it up to PC standards — it was actually going to come out on the 17th, but it got pushed back to the 24th so they can add “more content” and polish. They pushed out 4 patches in less than a month, even with the holiday season, so I trust that the game will be in good hands post-launch. Oh, and an editor is coming as well.

My only complaints are that the maps all look /very/ similar, even the ones with a completely different color palette. The impact of shooting a weapon may also be a bit weak due to it being a third person shooter, and also due to the game’s perk system — players with the extra health perk take an egregious number of clips to bring down.

I say get it.

13. Miker says:

I say get it.

(Fifth time I’m trying this. I apologize if all five show up at once somehow)

14. returntonull says:

Also it’s a decidedly a good game, unlike Lead & Gold which was an okay game, but wasn’t much different from any other shooter.

What other complaints did I see, hrm hrm… Tanks, Supports, and Gunners can survive those ‘insta-kill’ grapples. Hell, Tanks can survive headshots and backstabs too. Tip for aspiring Assassins, you’re better off just avoiding Tanks cause they can survive your grapple and then one shot you with a death blossom + charge unless your packing gold armor endorsements and even then it’s iffy.

I also wish people would figure out that the game isn’t deathmatch, it’s about pushing bots to the enemies money ball. Overall though, I’d call MNC money well spent.

15. DestinedCruz says:

The game is actually an absolute blast. Highly recommended for fans of TF2 and DotA alike, with a really good community behind it already. The developers are also working REALLY hard on keeping the game balanced and updated.

16. Blain says:

From what I’ve heard, the developers have worked overtime to make balance tweaks and take reasonable suggestions from the community to make this game better. I am not at all unhappy to have given them some money.

That said, playing this game mostly just reminded me how awesome Ratchet: Deadlocked for the PS2 was. I need to play that game again.

Comment on this story