Let’s Start Every Day With Cartoon Violence

By Jim Rossignol on January 13th, 2011 at 10:23 am.

A GTA4 video which features “frictionless cars” has been doing the rounds. I post it here in case you’ve not seen it already. It’s moderately amusing in an ouch-but-haha-ragdoll-horror sort of way.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Rich says:

Terrific. Terrific.

2. Brumisator says:

Who broke the laws of physics? Somebody call Sir Isaac Newton!

Good times…

3. Stephen Roberts says:

It looks like Just Cause 2. Proving that people falling over is a neverending source of humour.

I’ve just realised an ingame video editor system was missing from Just Cause 2. And would have made for one of the best sources of entertainment…

4. Moni says:

This is how I imagine Roland Emmerich would have made ‘Cars’.

5. Jahkaivah says:

This would make a great film.

6. MadTinkerer says:

This is even funnier than the super low gravity + double (triple? something like that) default driving speed cheats in San Andreas.

7. Hoaxfish says:

Typical women drivers!

(and they say games aren’t art)

8. Songbearer says:

I was playing the original Carmageddon only yesterday and words can’t explain just how happy this video makes me. My dream game would be a brand new Carmageddon, with all the humour and grotty atmosphere of the first game, ridiculous car customisation and of course Euphoria physics.

Except I’d make it so the ragdolls were even more exaggerated than they are in most games. Running someone over in GTA 4 feels like a tragedy, while in Carmageddon it’s not unusual to punt a witless pedestrian some 30ft into the sky spraying gore everywhere. It’s a shame there doesn’t seem to be much call for a new game in the series, because for its time it was a pretty astonishing achievement even putting aside the controversy.

9. Catastrophe says:

Woah, Frogger 2 is looking way too difficult… and hilariously fun.

10. Magrippinho says:

“Funny how games try so hard to produce realistic physics, and then we are amused by physics gone crazy.”

I think it’s an extension of the comedic theory that slapstick is funnier the more intelligent the victim is.

Which is, of course, why Batman is comedy gold.

But it also reminds me of the GoW’s development team’s “groundbreaking” discovery, that people like brighter levels most.

So, yeah, people don’t like the dull, dark, “realistic” graphics and have more fun breaking “realistic” mechanics than working with ‘em. Everything you knew about “next-gen” game design is wrong!

I think I’ve just about run out of “sarcastic” quotation marks.

11. starclaws says:

More like the ground is some kind of accelerator!

12. Walsh says:

Why don’t more games use the euphoria animation system? It produces the best most natural looking blended reaction animations so far.

Like one of the last shots where the player goes flat against the car while it’s rolling.

I’d argue the animation system is the best part of GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption.

• noodlecake says:

Definitely. Euphoria is amazing and the way it’s utilized in GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption does present unparalleled realism in gaming. I’ve spent hours just chucking Nico into various things to see what would happen. I managed to get him to slide over a downhill moving car in his arse and then clumsily stumble without falling over at the other end. Yyyeah… I had such an exciting life back in the pot smoking days. :S

It’s still much more awesome without the friction. :)

• mwoody says:

I agree that it’s excellent; much better than traditional ragdolls. Before, I assumed that Rockstar had simply purchased the company and kept the engine for themselves, but looking at that page, I see other projects – The Force Unleashed II, for example – from other developers.

So I wonder what it is? Too expensive, financially? Too expensive, processing time?

• Nick says:

It really is so much better than the crap that most games have been using for years.

• safetydank says:

Maybe because Euphoria isn’t a real product. It seems to just be a hook for NaturalMotion’s consulting service.

See Wolfire’s post on Euphoria.

• Calabi says:

Personally I dont like it, it makes me not want to run over people. Seeing someone hit my bonnet, roll up and off it and then smack their head on the pavement, it was not nice.

• BAReFOOt says:

So that’s why GTA IV is so slow, no matter how good your graphics card is, with the CPU being the bottleneck. I wish it could be toned down or run (partially) on the GPU, because GTA is no fun with a dual-core, no matter what. :/

13. Navagon says:

Imagine trying to complete it like that! :D

14. clive dunn says:

How i do this in my GTA please nice people. Is possible yes? complicated? Maybe little tweak like game had nipples and i just tickle one and make fun happen.

15. ArtyFishal says:

I used to turn of friction in Midtown Madness. Not as dramatic, but the ridiculous speeds and huge car pile ups were still endlessly entertaining.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

In Driver (the original), I editing the configs to give the cop cars huge mass and enormous acceleration and top speed, so they’d be like a freight train.

The thing was, you usually encountered them going the opposite way to you, so they’d accelerate to ludicrous speed while trying to turn around, and usually end up flinging themselves through the air. Utter hilarity!

16. GameOverMan says:

I love the mobile phone snatching car at 0:34

• sinister agent says:

Same. It’s the doppler-effecty horn tooting that does it for me. Not content with haywirily mangling every pedestrian in sight, the driver feels justified in honking as he does it.

17. Evernight says:

That was a riot to watch

18. jamesgecko says:

This is amazing. Someone needs to run with it.

Put it in a Tron-like setting so nothing has to make sense. Get the flow of vehicles a little more constant. Let the player jump and kick off vehicles, and occasionally toss out a rocket launcher powerup. Instant classic.

19. Hunam says:

Reminds me of GTA3 when you could stick the police cars to have 0 weight and then blow stuff up to get their attention.

Comment on this story