Pre-Order Dragon Age 2, Get Pretend Objects

By Quintin Smith on January 13th, 2011 at 11:25 am.

Bioware has revealed the plethora, the deluge of imaginary items they will be gifting to first-hand buyers of Dragon Age 2 and the game’s pre-order customers. Are you sitting down? Are you reading this on an empty stomach? Because if not you may fall down and vomit simultaneously.

That may have been an exaggeration. Maybe…

Okay, the one-use code arriving with all copies of the game will unlock The Black Emporium, a market beneath the city of Kirkwall with “a curious collection of items, some for sale, some for free, and ranging from the mundane to the mysterious!” You hear that, readers? Free mundane items! One of the items that is (presumably?) not-so-mundane items is a Mabari warhound you’ll be able to summon and banish with a whistle. Another is The Mirror of Transformation, which by the sounds of things allows you to go back into character creation whenever you like.

Pre-order customers will get the sword (Fadeshear) and shield (The Lion of Orlais) in the above pic. The sword grows in power with each level you gain, and the shield adds to health and %xp gain.

Alright, that’s all I’ve got. Move along.

Edit: That’s not all I’ve got! There’s a new story trailer talking about relationships and time-travel. Thanks, Man Raised by Puffins.

« »

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. McDan says:

I found a bag of milky ways because I was so excited at pretend objects!

2. Rich says:

“The sword grows in power with each level you gain”
    I had a sword like that in Oblivion. It meant that I could never find a better sword than the one I was carrying.

• Hoaxfish says:

It just sounds like one of those adverts you find on the internet offering to increase things by a variety of inches

• Giant, fussy whingebag says:

Well… that strangely parallels one of Oblivions greatest failings, doesn’t it?

• Stromko says:

Yes, it’s a tremendous buzzkill really. I like the idea of finding lovely new items as I venture forth in an MMO, being handed overpowered items from DLC rather ruins that potential. Even if I have companions that can use new items as they come along, if they’re not sparklier than the DLC gubbins then why should I care?

Also apparently I’m typing comments too quickly. First comment of the day, I guess it doesn’t like my typing speed.

• Nova says:

@Stromko

I believe the RPS-AI doesn’t like certain types of email providers (i.e. Hotmail).

• Archonsod says:

You could of course not use the DLC items. Or sell them. Or just drop them quietly into a chest somewhere.

• Mctittles says:

Yea I’ve always been annoyed by DLC that is basically cheats. Beginning with the Oblivion horse armor given to you.
      Even when I download mods I make sure they work gameplay wise. For instance in oblivion I only use mod items that people add to the loot lists fairly instead of just putting in a chest somehow. For The Sims I usually hand edit prices on furniture and whatnot when I download extras from sites.

• bill says:

It’s like the way I made the mistake of installing all of the Morrowind GOTY parts at the very beginning, and then spent the next 4 days getting slaughtered by tribunal assassins every time i woke up. But once I finally beat one I had the best light armour I could find, plus obsidian daggers that seemed better than any other short weapons…

was really disappointing every time i found a cool sounding new weapon/armour only to find it wasn’t half as good as the one from the start.

• Jake says:

I don’t really understand the point of items that give +experience in a single player game, it may as well just say ‘makes the game x% shorter’. So this and the sword that means you will never get excited by weapon drops combine to give a pretty strong incentive to not pre-order.

• Fumarole says:

That implies the game ends when you hit some arbitrary level. Or do you quit when you hit a level cap?

• Jake says:

I don’t know how it would work in Dragon Age 2 but in Borderlands there were lots of +%xp talents that just meant you out-leveled the content faster.

• MultiVaC says:

Yeah, I remember the version of Dragon Age I bought had the Return to Ostagar and Warden’s Keep already included. Those DLC quests were some of the first ones I did, and much to my dismay the weapons I got from them were more powerful than pretty much anything else I found in the rest of the game. I think I eventually found a sword that could compete with my stupidly powerful weapons in the Deep Roads 40 hours of gameplay later, but besides that I was basically using the same weapons throughout the entire game. I also avoid XP gain items and skills like the plague in singleplayer games that have level caps, it drives me crazy in games like Fallout 3 or New Vegas where I’m only about halfway through the game and I can’t level up anymore.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

This isn’t a new phenomenon. Forge of Virtue, the expansion to Ultima VII, gave you a bad motherfucking sword that did huge damage, and additional abilities (including instant kill of any target) that you can use once every in-game day. On top of that, it gave your character maximum stats, and double the maximum strength stat. It was completely gamebreaking. This was eighteen years ago, in 1992.

Although at least they didn’t give you that as a preorder bonus, it was an expansion that was only released several months after the game’s released.

3. Longrat says:

60$ for a PC game?
    Much as I liked DA:O and was looking forward to the sequel…
    No thanks, Bioware. You made enough profits from your games with 50$ (and the countless DLC that followed), the extra 10$ is a spit to the face, especially considering the day 1 DLC.

These 60$ will be spent on more deserving candidates, such as Retribution, Monday Night Combat and Minecraft.

Edit: Read the last post in this VERY long thread

• KillahMate says:

If you don’t like the price don’t play the game. You don’t have a holy duty to play every game which compels you to pirate games you don’t want to buy.

• Rich says:

Unfortunately pirating makes you part of the problem. I don’t like arguing in favour of the big bastard companies, but in this case I have to.

Doesn’t mean you have to cough up silly money. You can wait a year or two and get it for a fraction of the price. You might not have to wait that long if it gets discounted in a Steam sale. Hell, it’s been less than a year since Starcraft 2 came out, and I managed to buy it for £18* (thanks Lewie P).

*That’s assuming it ever gets dispatched. Bloody CeX.

• Longrat says:

I fail to see any connection between pirating and higher prices. Pirating and DRM? Sure. Pirating and lack of PC releases? Absolutely. But increasing the prices just because they feel like it seems more like a greedy move than a repercussion of pirates. Hell, by raising the price, you force people who’d otherwise buy your game (such as myself) to not buy it, be it out of ideology or price range.

The way I see it, bioware’s lost me as a customer, for the time being anyway, so they don’t deserve my money. There’s no real difference between not buying and pirating. I know many people that pirate, and later buy the game, if they enjoyed it, myself included.

I’ll probably end up buying the game in a xmas sale later on, knowing myself, but I can’t overlook the price.

• Hoaxfish says:

Don’t buy it now. Buy the “super compilation game+ all DLC” version during a Steam-sale for $2 5 years later.

It’s single player, so it’s not like you’re gonna find you spent $2 on a game with abandoned and empty multiplayer servers.

Plus, you get all the patches and can see how well the game reviewed.

• Archonsod says:

Or buy it the old fashioned way rather than the overpriced digital downloads. £29.99 for the hardcopy via Play.

• DiamondDog says:

I think in most other walks of life if you consider something too expensive or out of your price range then that’s the end of the matter. For some reason with games you feel entitled to play it even though you don’t want to pay for it.

Don’t use this as some sort of flimsy excuse, wait for a sale or a price drop. Or act like a child that wants everything NOW NOW NOW!

FriendGaru says:

Well, since you have an inalienable right to play the game, I guess pirating is okay. Those evil corporations trying to profit off of their own work!

• MadTinkerer says:

Wot Rich said. If you pirate a game instead of buying it, you’re not just cheap, you’re part of the problem. Especially when you admit you have the money. Stop bitching about the price of admission when you’re planning on sneaking into the show. If you’re stealing something, it doesn’t matter how much it costs.

See: I’m not innocent of piracy myself, but back when I did download and use pirated software regularly, I usually ended up buying what I pirated anyway. For example: I played the SNES ROM of Chrono Trigger and eventually bought three copies of it (so far) for other systems.

Thanks to Steam (and other online store-thingies) and a full-time job, it’s far, far more efficient to buy things when they go on sale and far too time-consuming to track down torrents of outdated, buggy, broken versions of things that will be nigh-immaculate if I just stop being a miser and cough up a few bucks. And thus my heart grew three sizes that day and I returned all the presents and got to carve the roast beast. And you can too!

• Duffin says:

So wait, you loved Dragon Age: Origins but Bioware have lost you as a customer? I hate to break this to you but not everything in life costs the same, different products have different productions values and overheads. I daresay that Dragon Age 2 cost thousands of times more to make than minecraft, does that make it worth the extra money? Well thats your choice but pirating a game because it costs more than others is not an excuse.

abhishek says:

You must think you’re a ‘special’ pirate, morally above those other lowlife pirates because you think you have a valid reason to pirate the game.

• malkav11 says:

Apparently you should have preordered sooner. Sure, I’m still paying $60 for the game, but I’m paying $60 for the special collector gubbinsy edition.

• Robert says:

The end validates the means. Who cares if the people who made it get money, you can play it!

• Hallgrim says:

@Robert: But if he’s REALLY not going to buy it, then he’s not costing them any money by pirating it, is he?

Sure he’s being a twit, but I can’t help myself when I see (lots of) people conflating ‘duplicating without permission’ with ‘theft’.

That said, DA:A was such a turgid piece of shit that I won’t be buying DA2 no matter the price.

• Duffin says:

@ Hallgrim – is that a sarcastic post? Ofcourse hes costing them money and it is absolutely stealing. It’s not something physical that he walks into a shop and lifts off a shelf but its the same thing, because its easyier to do doesn’t make it any less of a crime.

• Om says:

@Duffin: Production costs are of little interest to the customer. What we’re seeing here is a disconnect between the use value (how much its actually worth to me) of the game and its exchange value (how much I pay for it in currency). You’ve highlighted this with your Minecraft comparison – for £10 I’ve gotten far more value out of that game than I ever will out of a £60 DA2

This is why there are pirates – 60 of your British pounds is an absurd price for a game and one that grossly overvalues the end product. Doesn’t matter how many free swords/shields/pigeons are thrown in as extras

• Hallgrim says:

@Duffin: I’m not being sarcastic. Using your logic, if I refuse to buy the game then I am also taking hard earned money from the developer’s. What you’re really objecting to is that someone is a) not buying the game, and then b) still playing it, with is unethical, and probably illegal, but certainly doesn’t cost the developer’s anything.

Or rather, the ‘cost’ is so ephemeral and subjective that comparing it to the term theft (used for hundreds/thousands of years to mean ‘when I have something and you take it from me, denying me access while giving it to yourself) is pretty silly. When a pirate “steals” a game, (s)he doesn’t take it from anyone, they just make an unauthorized copy.

• Longrat says:

I won’t lie about the matter, it IS theft, and like I said, if I like the game, I’ll buy it (as I have done before) and if I believe that a game is worth a certain price, I’ll pay for it. In the last two years, I’ve bought way more many games than not, mostly because steam is accessible and because I usually don’t bother downloading games that I don’t want to buy.

Here’s the real question, however. If all games started costing 60$, and then 70 and 80 and so on, would you continue buying them? Would you just quit gaming altogether because it’s too expensive? Or would you go ahead and play the game anyway and get it at a later time. The way I see it, raising the price to 60$ is 5 years away from raising it up to 70$.

All the people buying games at excessive price, make the excessive price the norm. It started out with MW2, then SC2, and now Bioware. Gamers as consumers are as spineless as they go (recall if you will the “dedicated server boycott for MW2, or the boycott for l4d2), and so, the inevitable tide is that the greedy corporations will take advantage of that and make everything cost more, even if the actual “value” of the game stays the same.

As a sidenote, the amount of money invested in a game is more often than not an indication of how efficient the developers are, rather than how much the game is worth. If anyone can look me in the eye and honestly say that starcraft 2 is worth 100$ million, then they’ve got some serious explaining to do.

Anyway, I’m blabbering. I have no moral high ground to pirate, I’m doing it more out of spite than out of ideology. And even if it cost 50$, I would’ve purchased it. Because that’s what a game should cost.

• Duffin says:

@ Om – I’m not saying that Dragon Age is worth the extra money, I’m saying that it costs more because it had more money than other games pumped into it. If the customer thinks the value is there then fine, but because it costs more than other games is not a valid reason to steal it. BTW where is it costing £60 that is ridiculous, I think its closer to £25-£30. Dragon Age Origins cost me about that and took around 70 hours in one playthrough, I think thats fantastic value.

@ Hallgrim – yes it is costing them money, when people pirate games and the above case is a perfect example (he liked Dragon Age Origins) it is taking away possible sales for the developer. If everyone did this there would not even be a Dragon Age 2.

• Longrat says:

Would you consider pirating, and then purchasing later once the game is cheaper theft? In most mediums, you have a certain return policy, but when you buy them online, (or specifically, on steam) there’s no turning back.

I’d like to think that pirating -> buying if you liked/finished a game is a healthy thing for the games industry. If people only bought games they liked and bought all the games they liked, then we’d see a lot less crap floating in the puddle.

But this implies using an honor system, which is something that most people can’t cope with.

• Fumarole says:

I fail to see any connection between pirating and higher prices.

Gotta love the internet.

• Longrat says:

@Fumarole: If you focused more on understanding and less on bashing then you would’ve realized that what I really said was that higher piracy ratings shouldn’t cause higher prices. It’s pretty damn obvious that higher prices cause higher piracy ratings.

• Duffin says:

@ Longrat – in principle this seems acceptable but I have been there myself and its a hard thing to follow up all the time. Maybe if developers made demo’s more readily available that would help.

DarkWeeble says:

$60 today is worth barely $50 ten years ago. The price of games can’t remain the same while everything else goes up. You’re paying more for all your groceries too; you just haven’t noticed because it only goes up by a few cents. The same percent increase in video games makes sense to me.

• Hallgrim says:

@Duffin: “yes it is costing them money, when people pirate games and the above case is a perfect example (he liked Dragon Age Origins) it is taking away possible sales for the developer.”

Wait so now taking away *possible* sales from a developer is a crime? So if Diablo3 gets released on the same day that DA2 comes out, EA can sue Activision? See, when you start saying that duplicating a game means a *possible* loss of money, you’re just reinforcing my equating-it-to-theft-is-silly argument. See also the “buy it on sale” argument someone posted above.

“If everyone did this there would not even be a Dragon Age 2.”

Oh absolutely. Nobody ever buys anything if they can get for free. That’s why nobody ever buys bottled water. There, now I’m being sarcastic :)

@Darkweeble
      That’s an interesting approach, you’re forgetting however, that the gaming market has expanded both in terms of quantity of players and accessibility of sales platforms (steam gives developers an IMMENSE outreach, something which was largely not there even 5 years ago). So while the economy has weakened, the amount of potential buyers has increased. Can’t say which one is more influential, however.

• DiamondDog says:

But Longrat, the point some of us are making is we wait for cheaper options. I totally agree that publishers will always try it on with pricing and we shouldn’t just keep buying games at higher and higher prices. The thing is, waiting for a sale is as good as saying you won’t pay higher prices and you are still setting yourself apart from those “spineless” gamers.

You don’t have to pirate the game to prove your point and doing so would just give them more ammunition.

• Duffin says:

Halgrim – you can be as pedantic as you like about defining it, but that doesn’t change the fact that it is:

A. Taking something made from someone elses hard graft and not paying the asking price for it

and

B. The developer consequently loses money through those actions

In my eyes taking something that you haven’t paid for at the cost of someone else is stealing.

@Diamond Dog
      Sure, but in all fairness I don’t blame people who won’t buy their game. Bioware needs to learn its place I daresay

shoptroll says:

Don’t pirate it. Like others are saying, just put your money elsewhere until they push out the “Ultimate” edition. Which is what I’m planning on doing this time around. Pre-ordered DA:O and never got around to playing it. No reason for me to get this until I play the first one I feel. A shame I didn’t wait on the first one, would’ve paid a lot less and received a lot more content for the money.

Really hoping the ME3 pre-order campaign isn’t nearly as terrible as this one.

• kyrieee says:

Pirating is illegal, and a lot people agree that it is unethical, but it is not the same as stealing. Why do you, and so many others, want to equate it with theft so badly? I think the reason is that a lot of people have a very hard time properly articulating why something so abstract as copying information is to be considered amoral, but they still feel strongly that it is, so they equate it with something which is obviously amoral. The problem is that the reasons why stealing is wrong and why piracy is wrong are quite different, and they relate to different concepts; physical ownership versus authorial right over ideas and information.

• Fumarole says:

[…]what I really said was that higher piracy ratings shouldn’t cause higher prices.

Indeed that is what you said. Reading just your posts and not the people you’re responding to as well leads to a different view, so apologies for that.

• wazups2x says:

@Longrat

I was about to agree with you until I read that you are pirating the game. Just because the game is overpriced does not mean you automatically deserve it for free. I seriously do not understand people with this kind of thinking.

I never walk into a retail store, see a game and say “hey, that’s overpriced, I’m going to steal it.”. That kind of thinking is just messed up.

• lokimotive says:

I would guess that if there is a relationship between piracy rates and prices it is this: Companies view each pirated copy of the game as a potential sale that is now lost. I don’t agree with this, though it obviously does happen. In fact, Longrat, you’re admitting that it’s happening in this case. Consequently, I would guess that they might say, “Well, to recoup the lost revenue from the sales that didn’t occur through piracy, we’ll simply charge more for each copy.”

Again, I don’t think this is particularly sound logic, but I don’t think it’s too far fetched to think that companies are thinking this way. But more to the point, I don’t think it’s particularly advantageous to pirate a game because you don’t like a certain aspect of its sales, marketing or distribution. It seems pretty hypocritical, in fact. If you don’t like a product for a particular reason, you don’t use it. That’s the way it works. If you don’t like your choices for buying the game and want to air your grievances… don’t buy it and don’t play it until that issue is resolved. It’s pretty simple.

Pirating doesn’t solve anything. It is not activism. It is simply instant gratification (well, instant once you jump through all the hopes to get past the DRM). If you don’t like a game, have some balls and don’t play it.

• Rhin says:

“This $60 will be spent on more deserving candidates such as …. blah blah blah… ”

Perfectly valid logic

“…if I believe that a game is worth a certain price, I’ll pay for it.”

Perfectly valid logic.

“I’m pirating this game, not because I don’t have the money, but because I refuse to give in to the fact that heartless bastards like ActiBlizz want us to accept – that PC games cost 60$.”

The fact that the marginal cost of production is near 0 has nothing to do with the rightness or wrongness of piracy. If you want a new phone but don’t feel like paying $600 for an iPhone (marginal production costs of $250), you can’t just walk into an Apple Store, help yourself to an iPhone, then leave $300 on the counter. The “I wouldn’t have bought one anyways” logic would dictate that they are making purely $50 in profit, but in the universe that we live in, it’s not going to stop them from calling the cops on you. The price of something is whatever the seller decides to sell it for, the heartless bastard.

I don’t really mind piracy, but I really don’t understand how you can claim some moral right.

• WildcardUK says:

A quick check of my dictionary (Google) tells me that theft is ‘the act of taking something from someone unlawfully’. You can dress up piracy with all the justification you want but let’s call a spade a spade eh? Just because something isn’t tangible doesn’t mean it doesn’t have value. You may not agree on the level of value but that’s part of how supply and demand works.

Companies will try their luck with a higher price point if they can and if it works then they made the right call as a business and if it doesn’t, then they didn’t. I play MY part in that by waiting for the lack of demand to push the price down and buying at a later date.

I don’t understand this idea that some gamers feel they have a right to all games. That’s like saying people who can drive should be able to drive any car they want. It costs a lot more to make an Aston Martin and they sure as hell charge a premium for the name. Seems like Bioware are also trading on their name and their ‘production costs’.

• pipman3000 says:

no no no no you see piracy is the most lawful (and good) course of action because i am a spoiled pampered man baby who gets whatever he wants

• Shadram says:

Piracy IS theft. Stop trying to justify your actions by telling yourself that you’re not harming anyone. Pirating software is exactly the same as shoplifting: you’re not preventing anyone else from buying the product, assuming there was more than one in stock, but you are costing the retailer and creator of the product a sale.

I’m all for protesting higher prices by refusing to buy the item. That’ll learn ‘em, etc. But to then steal it because you don’t want to pay that amount? Sorry, but that is utterly reprehensible and immoral. There is absolutely no moral justification for your actions.

And yes, I do feel strongly about this. I’m a software developer, and like my job. I don’t like fucktards like you taking advantage of our hard work for free.

• Kadayi says:

@Obvious Troll

$60? Please you can spend that kind of money on a good night out. For what’s likely to be a 50 – 80 hour game, and one likely to have great replay value (if previous Bioware efforts are anything to go by), I’d say it’s a more than reasonable price. In all seriousness, back under the bridge with you.

• Longrat says:

Assuming a person is never going to buy the game, is piracy theft? Sure you’re taking something with value without paying for it, but for the company itself, is it any different from a lost purchase? It’s not quite as morally black and white as most of you paint it to be. Sure piracy is wrong, but you gotta ask what the reasons for it are, rather than just point your fingers at the naughty boys. As much as you guys hate my opinion, I’m certainly not alone with it.

Pirates or not, I really hope that dragon age 2 gets terrible launch sales, but oh wait, that’ll just cause everyone to blame pirates, and whoops there goes PC support.

And as a sidenote, I’d like to point out CDProjekt, who in their sheer awesomeness release a pre order for all major distribution platforms at 45$, with some nice pre-order stuff. When I see a company love me as a costumer this much, I always return the favor, and that’s why I bought the pre-order the day it was out.

And one more thought: The more a company has interaction with consoles (mainly xbox), the less it seems to give a shit about its costumers. PC-mostly companies like Relic, Egosoft, and Introversion release games with a much greater desire to please their costumers, rather than Activision, Bethesda and more recently, Bioware, who have a greater desire to please their pockets.

• Kadayi says:

@Obvious troll

“Assuming a person is never going to buy the game, is piracy theft?”

Too funny.

Also quit anthropomorphising companies, it’s fucking lame. They are businesses, not your best friends, and trust me not one of them (indie or otherwise) is going to clap you on the back for pirating games regardless of whom makes them. If you aren’t buying the product, you’ve zero entitlements. As regards multi-platform, most titles can’t make money unless they are multi-platform releases. Unlike the pioneer days of Doom, development teams are huge nowadays, and making games is an ever more expensive business.

@Smartassed Twat
      I know that the notion of thinking beyond simple the binary Yes/No Right/Wrong answers is beyond your capability, but consider this: You’re in the desert and you come across a diamond ring. It belongs to someone, but he’ll never come back to take it, because he’s dead or on saturn or whatever. What do you do? HONESTLY now?

There’s a way to balance profitability as well as catering for your costumers. Valve did that pretty damn well with all of their popular games, as did relic. Bethesda and Bioware on the other hand released more crappy DLC than I can count. You sure as hell can personify a company based on its actions. The more they demand you pay to get actual gaming experience (and not meaningless stuff like hats), the less they care about their costumers. And of course, this can all be traced down to microsoft, with their insatiable hunger for 13 year old childrens’ parents’ money.

And yes, I do expect a company to want to please me, that’s what consumerism is all about. Once a company starts wanting to make money more than it does to make a good, finished product, they’ve taken the wrong path. EA did that, and now look at them. Here’s to hoping that activision suffers a similar fate.

• Jockie says:

“Assuming a person is never going to buy the game, is piracy theft?”

@Jockie

“If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?”

“Yes.”

• Kadayi says:

@Obvious troll

You seem to lack the ability to understand that what you are buying with a game is not a physical object (assuming you even buy a retail box) so much as a tailored software experience, and as such you are paying for the right to participate/interact with that crafted experience, and subsequently reward the creators of that experience for their time and effort in putting it together (and allow them to create further experiences). If you participate/interact with the software and you don’t pay, then yes you are robbing them.

@Whatever
      You and I have a different perspective on the “value” of something. You say that something’s value is determined by its existence, I say something’s non value is determined by its non existence. You say a never to be purchased game is worth X and therefore by not paying X then the developers are losing X. I say that a never to be purchased game is worth 0, and therefore by pirating it, the developers lose 0.

And what I’d like to emphasize is the question that is why a game will never be purchased, not if pirating a non purchased game is illegal. Sure, it’s illegal, but looking at the amount of damage caused, in terms of actively losing money, I don’t see it happening.

I’m not gonna argue with you anymore, We’ve got different opinions and nothing’s gonna change that, particularly not a heated debate in the comments section of a relatively peripheral article. I respect your opinion, understand it, and somewhat affirm it. And don’t let anyone change it.

• Duffin says:

@ Longrat

“consider this: You’re in the desert and you come across a diamond ring. It belongs to someone, but he’ll never come back to take it, because he’s dead or on saturn or whatever. What do you do? HONESTLY now?”

Oh come on, we both know that this whole comparison is bollocks. You said yourself that you would buy the game if it was a little cheaper; you bought the prequel to the game. So telling yourself that you are justified in pirating this game because you will not buy it anyway and therefore the developer is losing nothing is absolutely ridiculous. You are clearly interested in the game and if piracy were not so easy and this were a more general product, you would go out and buy it (whether that be at launch or in a years time in a sale). So don’t try and tell us that you aren’t denying the developer the cost of the game.

I’m sorry Mr. Judge, yes I took the car from the showroom but I had already decided it was a bit pricey so I wouldnt have bought it anyway, so errrr, thats okay isn’t it sir?

• WildcardUK says:

@Longrat

“Assuming a person is never going to buy the game, is piracy theft? Sure you’re taking something with value without paying for it, but for the company itself, is it any different from a lost purchase?”

Two totally separate issues. It absolutely is theft and that IS black and white. Your ring in the desert example is the same. It IS theft in that case too. You’ve “taken something with value without paying for it”. Something that didn’t belong to you.

Does it hurt the supplier? Maybe and maybe not but that’s not the point. You have to draw the line somewhere and letting the thief decide where to draw it is going to be detrimental to the supplier more often than not and ultimately these rules exist to protect people supplying goods and services.

This whole thread hasn’t really been about theft or not. We all know it is. It’s been about some people justifying that theft, maybe to us, maybe to themselves. You steal bread to feed a starving child because there was no other way, then I (only my opinion) would consider that justified. But stealing a game because you felt it was slightly overpriced? Absolutely not.

• Kadayi says:

@Obvious troll…

Personal opinion has nothing to do with it. Human society operates on principles of exchange, for goods, services, labour, etc, and society as a whole expects those principles to be honoured in order to function. In exactly the same way that you after a week/months work expect to be paid by your boss/client performers/creators expect to get paid for their efforts as well. If there is no reward and increasingly less likely to be one, is it reasonable to assume that people will continue to provide? To quote Andrew Ryan ‘Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?’

• DigitalSignalX says:

I will pay for the game because I did enjoy DA:O, and I’m very confident that it’s sequel will be just as enjoyable. On the topic of DLC’s though, I have to slide back into Longrat’s corner. I only paid for one of the DA:O DLC’s (Awakening, which is essentially an expansion) because I felt it had the reasonable experience value near it’s price. The rest I felt was basically greed and serializing small chapters of content for far too much money. If it took me 60 hours to complete DA:O for 60 bucks then I’d expect a 2 hour DLC should cost 2 dollars. Not 5 to 15, and it’s often content that was clearly cut from the original game.

It’s like if they made you pay extra to watch some deleted scenes after a movie. Screw that, I’ll wait and buy the directors cut on sale, or sneak in, download from youtube, etc.. Yarrr.style.

I agree completely that it’s theft. That it’s amoral. Call me a thief if you like :) I’m fine with that judgment, because it’s likely the only aspect of my whole life that is amoral (I’d go hunting for the owner of the diamond ring). I will however argue that they are “losing” money because of my piracy.

Not that a court of law would agree, but I also feel in some places the speed limit should be slightly higher too and both the courts and local cops have better things to do then keep me in check about either one.

• Arglebargle says:

Is sneaking into a movie theater to watch a show theft? If a Highwayman were to stop a group of people, and instead of lifting their wallets, make them chop wood and cook dinner, is it theft?

Something I see in music and audio software is that the pirated versions are often more efficient, and easier to use, than the versions that those of us with dongles and other restrictions have to endure. Is it theft to download and use a pirate version of software you already own?

The word theft is being stretched into a pretty wide net. Not so sure it is deserving of that.

• Kadayi says:

@Arglebargle

If you are getting something for nothing then yes it is. What part of people put effort in a project and you benefit from that effort in some manner (whatever form it takes) and you reward them accordingly doesn’t make sense exactly?

• Duffin says:

“If your apparent defence rests on the use of trespass and violent coercion as viable factors, I’m not quite sure you understand the notion of what constitutes criminal activity at all.”

LOL

I must say this thread has opened my eyes to the dubious morals of the clientele that frequent RPS!

• Kadayi says:

@Duffin

RPS a hive of scum and Villainy indeed.

Still I’m sure you get the point. You can hardly get into hypotheticals of ‘is that truly theft?’ when presenting a scenario, if they rely on other criminal acts as their starting point.

• Arglebargle says:

I guess every crime should just be called ‘Theft’ and treated identically!

Yes, it’s illegal and immoral, but piracy is not the same act as stealing a car. Something that can be duplicated endlessly without loss of the original, is qualitatively different. It’s the semantics of it that bothers me, because I don’t think its a simple as it seems.

• Kadayi says:

@Arglebargle

“I guess every crime should just be called ‘Theft’ and treated identically!”

I’m fascinated to hear the ground logic, behind that declaration. Please indulge me. Maybe roll in rape, child molestation & murder in there as well, whilst you at it.

The car analogy doesn’t work I’m afraid because you mistake the object (the DVD/game code) for the game itself, where as that is merely the delivery system for the interactive experience the developers have made, and set an entry fee on. When you buy a game, you are paying for a gaming experience. Whatever way you cut it, not paying the developers whilst engaging with that experience is denying them the entry fee they have set in some manner. That you’ve broken into the Cinema/theatre/opera/comedy club, does mean it’s ok or acceptable to sneak into the show. The producers still expect to get paid for delivering an experience.

• Avian Jerks Plot says:

You guys all forget the most important argument in this debate: DA2 is going to be utter shit (visit their boards if you don’t believe me). Therefore, it’s value is 0.
      Pirating DA2 won’t harm anyone but yourself, by imposing irreparable brain damage.
      Make a stand. Show them you won’t be buying nor pirating Bioware dating sims anymore!

@Arglebargle
      That was EXACTLY the point I was trying to make. Sure, it’s stealing, but in terms of the repercussions it has, it’s completely identical to not buying. The end result is the same, the developers don’t get money. This is why developers and people shouldn’t concern themselves as to how to stop pirates, but as to why people don’t want to buy their game.

@Duffin
      You misunderstood my analogy, what I was saying was that taking that the person who lost the diamond ring will never be able to get it again, so whether you take it or not makes no difference to him. Same as a game that’s never to be purchased. The devs will never get that money from you one way or another,

Again, piracy IS theft in a way, but by not buying the game you do EQUAL DAMAGE to the devs as you do when you pirate it.

• Kadayi says:

@Arglebargle

Repeating the same argument, doesn’t make it any stronger I’m afraid. If you are prepared to play it, then you should be prepared to pay for it.

If you have issues regarding the quality or cost, you’ve every right as a consumer to wait until a game reaches a suitable price point before purchasing it, but there is no entitlement beyond that. Games are not a privilege, or a universal right, they are entertainment and as such the entertainers are entitled to set out their demands.

• Duffin says:

@Longrat

I understood your analogy perfectly.

” taking that the person who lost the diamond ring will never be able to get it again, so whether you take it or not makes no difference to him”

But it DOES make a difference, and that difference is the price of the game which you are denying the developer. Depending on how many people pirate that game the cost could run into hundreds of thousands of pounds.

You clearly WANT the game, you have said so yourself and the only thing putting you off is the price tag. Therefore by pirating the game you are stealing from the developer the product of their hard work, which is valued at the cost of the game as determined by them, which you WOULD have otherwise have SPENT on the game (which you WANT). You are not denying them of physical owenership of an entity, but the capital value of that entity, which they have every right to if you are using it.

Saying that you don’t WANT a product is not the same as saying you won’t BUY a product. What you are saying is the latter and your actions will be stealing whatever way you look at it. If you think its overpriced then grow a backbone and don’t buy it or wait for the price to go down, instead of thinking that you have the right to take it for free. That is how economics works, not by taking what you want if you don’t like the price.

If you want something you pay for it, thats the way things work, what makes you think that you are the exception to this rule? Because you are inflicting no harm on the developer? Well you directly are inflicting a cost on the developer, so scratch that idea. They don’t employ magical elves to work on the games and they don’t pay for advertising with magic beans. They fund it with the crazy idea that someone who WANTS the game might just PAY for it. I know just crazy, don’t they know of your special immunity?

EDIT:

Lastly, can I just say that everyone here is likely to consider themselves a pc gamer, it’s a hobby we all enjoy and put time into. Maybe when you realise the actual cost of your actions you might understand why many in this thread are reacting badly to your post. We don’t want harm to come to our favourite pastime and we don’t want to put up with instrusive DRM mechanisms designed to protect it from attitudes such as yours. Why don’t you stop damaging the gaming industry and put something back into it.

EDIT 2:

Longrat, I just read this throught and wanted to say this isn’t a personal attack on you in any way. I just can’t understand the attitude that “piracy doesn’t harm the games industry because I’m not actually stealing anything”. Or as you like to put it “you say that something’s value is determined by its existence, I say something’s non value is determined by its non existence”. My gripe here is not directed at you pirating games but the misconception that the game has ‘no value’ because you decided not to buy it in the first place and so you have the right to pirate it (because this does no further harm than an already denied purchase), which is totally and fundamentally flawed. Whether you would otherwise purchase the game or not this does absolutely not change the value of the game: its value does not become 0 because you are willing to spend 0 on it.

• Kadayi says:

@Duffin

Agreed.

I haven’t bought CoD BOPS yet because I really have zero interest in the multi-player and £34 for the single player experience seems excessive, so I’m happy to wait for it to eventually drop to a price (retail or DD) where I’m happy to pay for it.

With the AC2 & SSC like many I was annoyed at the prospect of Ubisofts DRM, so instead of buying either at day one as initially planned, I waited until they hit what I considered a reasonable price point Vs the inconvenience.

I guess the principal thing is unlike some of our chums in this thread, like many I’m prepared to wait if I don’t think something is worth the present asking price.

• WildcardUK says:

I am impressed by the maturity demonstrated by everyone in this thread! <3 RPS!!

• Lukey__b says:

I’m a reformed pirate.

I used to pirate because I literally had no money as a 16 – 18 year old. I don’t think too badly of it as I could never have paid for those games. Never – I didn’t have money to buy anything, so couldn’t even give something up to pay for them.

Now I have a job. I have money. If I don’t think something is worth the price it is being sold for, I dont buy it. I don’t ‘steal’ it either, although as has been banged on about further up the concept of theft and pirating is dodgy ground… ground I don’t want to go on about here.

As for pirate now, buy later. This is 100% theft. You are being charged a premium to play the game now… you want to play it now you have to pay the price. You can’t play it now and then pay the price of the game when it is 2/3 years old. That’s like stealing a TV and then going back 2 years later and paying quarter of the price it would have cost you.

I’m not a fan of the whole capitalist money making machine, but this is the world we live in and I’m sure most of us have jobs that rely on the concept of this machine to give us money in the first place. Grow up and either pay the money or wait until it’s cheaper.

• Longrat says:

Well that was a ridiculously long thread. In the end, I am in the wrong, I admit, there is no validation for piracy, as it is stealing. I’d still argue that in the general sense, it doesn’t do any more harm than a person not buying the game. However, wanting to pirate a game does show a certain desire to buy the game, and therefore the prerequesite for a person “not every going to buy the game” is invalid. So, in the end, piracy IS taking money away from the developers. Which is why I’ll man up and not pirate the game. No other way to it.

Good on you guys for showing me the fatal flaw in my way of thinking.

• Duffin says:

@ Longrat

I’m chuffed to hear that, that is if its genuine and not just because your tired of debating with us! I can see to an extent where your arguments come from and piracy can seem like it won’t hurt anyone and there are far worse things you can do. But if you are passionate about gaming and get many hours of enjoyment out of them then it seems right not to take the people that rely on making them for a living for granted. Yes EA as most other publishers will try it on but a good amount of your money goes to the folks who have as much of a passion for playing great games as you do.

• Kadayi says:

@Longrat

If you aren’t happy about the pricing, my advice is to wait it out until they release the GoTY edition. No doubt like the DA:O GoTY, they’ll thrown in pretty much all the DLC anyway, and at a lot less cost. Sure it might be a year or 10 months till that happens, but there are quite a few games coming out this year as it is (Witcher 2 for starters) and like most of us I’m sure you’ve a huge back catalog of unplayed titles you can always turn to if necessary.

@Kadayi

Yeah, let’s face it, Witcher 2 is going to blow dragon age 2 out of the water anyway. It really gets on my nerves that that rip off of a pre order is in the steam top sellers list.

• Duffin says:

@ Longrat – in steam Dragon Age 2 pre order is the same price as the Witcher 2, atleast in the UK anyway.

• Kadayi says:

@Longrat

I don’t see DA2 or The Witcher 2 as competing forces. I like both development studios. Bioware seem to be coming in for a lot of undue criticism for ‘dumping down’ DA2, but I think many people fail to see how much wasted effort went into DA:O with the multiple origins. DAO was a long game, and save for the odd exception the vast majority of players experiences with it would of been playing it once, meaning all the other origins were wasted. From a storytelling perspective, it makes a lot more sense to go down the Mass Effect route of you playing a specific character (with male/female/class options), where the writers can concentrate their efforts without having to resort to one shoe fits all generalisations in the ingame dialogue tbh.

I’ve not been overly struck on the trailers for DA2 so far, but then again I loathed the trailers for DAO & ME2, but had a great time with both games.

• WildcardUK says:

@Longrat

It’s not easy to make an admission like that. Bravo sir!

4. KillahMate says:

I was wondering how they were going to incorporate the Cerberus Network into Dragon Age.

• Longrat says:

They’ll call it the “Fade Webway”, a magical land from which demonic DLCs can possess your game and produce abominations.

• Nallen says:

They’ll call it a ‘jarring conversation tree option’ surely?

5. kikito says:

Will wait 3 years to have the complete-full-collectionist-edition on the Steam Christmas sale for $10.

• Zapatero says:

Yep, that’s what I did with Mass Effect 2. All this pre-order/DLC crap just makes me want to hang around for the “ultimate” edition. Thanks to countless sales over the last 3 years it’s not like I don’t have plenty of games still in their digital cellophane.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

is there a version of ME2 with _all_ the DLC included? I thought that until now, there had only been the Digital Deluxe Edition on sale (also there is still DLC coming)

• Cinnamon says:

(edit: strictly speaking this isn’t a reply to the above but, oh well.)

Sword looks Japanese. Bioware are signalling to the world that JRPGs are better and they were all just a bunch of second rate posers all along. Shield just looks stupid. What is this, Narnia? I thought that this was supposed to be a gritty, new shit, dark fantasy.

More seriously, I think that that the female lead character pic would be a better one for articles on this game. Just looks better.

• Zapatero says:

I was under the impression it was “ultimate” but of course it wasn’t. Still, it was cheap, and I realised my error before I did the same again when the Dragon Age offer came along.

My intent remains – if a company goes overboard with the DLC, I’m just going to hold off a year.

• Duffin says:

This irks me aswell, but I kind of want to play the game when it comes out (my friends continue to find new and ammusing ways to provide spoilers). I just won’t buy any of the DLC, if its anything like the DaO DLC it will be shit anyway.

6. Quintin Smith says:

Has anybody else noticed that the DA2 protagonist has a kind of Nelly plaster thing going on.

• Pop says:

Maybe it’s a nod to the move away from Marilyn Manson backed trailers.

Either way, the buzz cut space marine look is now so ingrained into my psyche that I can not enjoy bearded protagonists.

• Hoaxfish says:

More of a mud-face Lara Croft/War Hobo thing

• BooleanBob says:

In a more perfect world the Nelly plaster would have its own wikipedia entry.

Morph says:

My first thought was ‘Who’s Nelly Plaster?’. Now I feel a bit silly.

• WildcardUK says:

I expected someone to start up a game of American foot-to-ball at any moment!

TheApologist says:

So, because of the Mirror of Transformation I don’t have to live with the consequences of my decisions about character development.

Boo. Having to make hard choices and live with them is what makes character development interesting. RPG characters only feel like characters to me when they have important limitations.

If I can easily swap things around, it’s all a bit meaningless, isn’t it?

• Pop says:

Hard choices are for those who chose not to pre-order

• bwion says:

I personally like having the option, simply because it’s better than playing the first 10th of the game 49,152 times because you keep wanting to try out new things. I suppose that this makes me a lesser mortal walking among deities, but I can live with that.

But I don’t like it enough to convince me to pre-order, especially when the solid money is on there being a respec mod for free sooner or later.

• derella says:

I kinda thought the Mirror of Transformation only let you change your character’s appearance… Here’s a quote from the website:

“The “Mirror of Transformation”. Gaze into it and you can change your very appearance. Hair, eyes, tattoos, and more can be changed with the click of a button.”

• Wilson says:

@TheApologist – They’re just expanding the hard choices in the game to the pre-order options. In the future, half the game will be decided by which edition of the game and which DLC you buy, meaning you can be having decision making fun before even getting it.

• Archonsod says:

“If I can easily swap things around, it’s all a bit meaningless, isn’t it?”

Depends on whether you have any measure of self control I suppose.

• President Weasel says:

The Mirror Of Deciding Not To Use It should do the trick nicely for you.

• Jimbo says:

It’s probably/hopefully just appearance, which is something I can get behind. I spent the whole of ME1 staring at my character’s ridiculously gaunt cheeks – a flaw which wasn’t noticeable at all in the character creator’s lighting.

• Pop says:

I spent all of ME 1 with a Shepherd that looked like a fish, mind I had modelled him on myself.

It’s true that sometimes you bring your creation out of the Character creator only to exclaim: “My goodness this looks hideous in natural light!”

• Jeremy says:

@Pop

Sometimes that happens on dates too.

Man Raised by Puffins says:

In other Dragon Age news; Bioware have put out a swanky story trailer.

• Serenegoose says:

How odd. That story trailer is by far the best thing I’ve seen concerning Dragon Age 2 – the only thing that’s got me moderately interested, yet it doesn’t seem to be being made a big deal out of.

9. MrMud says:

All of these games comming out with exclusive content when you preorder/buy from a particular store bothers me. I dont want to start the game by having to delete all the overpowered and imbalanced crap they throw at me.

• Archonsod says:

To be honest I don’t particularly mind it. Plus Bioware made all of the pre-order stuff available free on their website shortly after the release anyway.

Though the requirement for inventory cleaning caused by it is a nightmare. Particularly when they carried it over into the DLC. I’m actually put off doing another playthrough now due to the amount of tat and the twenty minute organisation it entails whenever I start a new character.

10. MrCraigL says:

Stuff like this always rings warning bells with me – it’s effectively an incentive people to buy the game pre-review embargo. At the moment, DA2 is a game I’m worried about at best.

11. Merlkir says:

-_-

A unique sword is a katana, how innovative and surprising, the designers must’ve spent weeks on this concept. I will surely pre-order this shit just to get a katana.

• Jae Armstrong says:

It’s a curved backsword. You know, a sabre, a type of sword that’s been common all over Eurasia since, ooh, the dawn of time. This one appears to be one handed and have a curved grip/pommel, which is not standard katana design. More like east European/Turkish if anything, though the curved grip appears to be more commonly found on swords that curve in the other direction, like kukris.

Feel free to mock it on the grounds that it’s a cutting blade in a setting where everybody’s wearing full plate, though. :P

12. ZIGS says:

Will it have an ingame NPC selling DLC?

Joshua says:

When Dragon Age 2 sweeps the land, There will be an NPC that sells an expendable sword. So sayeth the wise Joshie.

• WildcardUK says:

Hark weary traveller you look like you could use something to lift your spirits. I have the finest elixirs in all the land or, mayhap, I can interest you in this exquisitely crafted DLC ONLY £5! BID NOW! NO RESERVE!!!!

What say you?

13. orangedragon says:

Ugh, I’m getting tired of their pre-order spam. They did a countdown for their signature edition on Facebook and twitter, even using their Mass Effect twitter. I mean, really? I thought they would stop after “1 day left! Pre-order! You gotta do it!” but no, there was even a “0 days left! This is the last day seriously!”. THEN they start a whole new round of pre-order extras….their desperation is just overflowing.

I’ll wait for the inevitable ultimate edition that contains all DLC and for an appropriate $10 price tag.

14. Arcturus says:

I just hope all these mundane or super nifty items do not become available from the word “go”, as was the case with DA:O. There are few things that ruin suspension of disbelief as effectively as trying to play a dirt-poor city Elf who hassles his quests for an extra 40 bronze coins and yet has access to magic belts and stat-enhancing rings from the moment he wakes up in the intro sequence.

Apart from that, all this content begs the question of upsetting the game balance: if the game can offer, hopefully, a balanced and challenging experience to those who chose not to buy this “premium content”, then access to these items would tip the scales in far of the player, would it not?

• Archonsod says:

No more than being able to choose the difficulty level, no. You can always trash/drop/sell the gear.

• Arcturus says:

Of course you can get rid of the gear. Still, it’s a shoddy way of implementing bonus items, especially in those hyped “origin” stories.

I do not mind extra content if it’s integrated in a somewhat believable way: quests should “come” from somewhere, not just pop up in the quest log of a green character.

• Archonsod says:

The entire idea of quests is ludicrous in the first place. I don’t mind it appearing in the log for the most part, it at least suggests the character has the wits to think searching for this mysterious McGuffin everyone keeps banging on about might be a good idea, rather than having to wait until some random NPC suggests it’s a good idea.

Besides which if someone is paying for DLC they usually want to be able to access it straight away rather than have to play through to a certain point first.

• Arcturus says:

Hmm, I tend to avoid guessing what people “usually” do. People “usually” play RPGs to do quests, yet there is no guarantee one might not come across someone who thinks the idea of quests in RPGs is “ludicrous”. To each their one, etc.

DLC is fine as a concept, but the way it’s implemented reeks of greed, in my opinion. If companies choose to offer premium content or DLC on day 1 or even within a month or so, I do think they should make an effort to better integrate it in the story.

• Zenicetus says:

IIRC, one of the DLC items in DA:Origins was a set of armor that you couldn’t use at the start of the game, because it had a fairly high strength requirement. That’s the right way to do it, if they’re going to do it at all. You can always role-play it as something like a family heirloom that you have to earn, by building up your stats and skills so you’re worthy of using it. Stuff you can use right away, does feel like cheating.

15. Mctittles says:

Having the ability to change your character as an extra is as worthless as they come.

Ok, well maybe not as worthless as the Dirt 2 DLC. One $5 DLC to unlock all the levels and a seperate $DLC to unlock all the cars.

• bleeters says:

If the half dozen Dragon Age Origins mods going around which enable you to alter your character’s appearance mid-game are anything to go by, no. No it isn’t. I’d be lying if I claimed I’d never restarted an rpg playthrough because the way I’d made a character eventually bugged me. Whether or not that’s a failure of the character creator to portray the design accurately enough is up to you to decide.

Considering the fact that all of this bonus crap is free, how useful it may or may not be doesn’t bother me much anyway.

• Mctittles says:

Yea except it’s not free and that’s kind of what I was getting at with “worthless”. As in it’s a freakin’ menu option that should be in all versions, not just the expensive pre-order ones.

16. Unaco says:

“a market beneath the city of Kirkwall”… I didn’t realise it was set in Orkney.

One question I have… I’m unlikely to buy this until 2012 at the earliest (I only just picked up DA:O Ultimate bundle before Christmas), so, if I do, will I still get all these mysterious/mundane items and the like?

I really do have fond feelings for Bioware (I had to fight the urge to reinstall the Baldur’s Gate series last night), but this sort of carry on does little to enamour me to their present, rock-star selves.

ata says:

I’m from Orkney, it is most strange a place called Kirkwall playing such a big part in the game! It was the same with The Bards Tale and Skara Brae.

• Hoaxfish says:

Somewhere in the world, someone thinks London sounds like a marvelous magical place full of wonders and delights, rather than scowling tramps.

17. orangedragon says:

super delayed duplicate post :[

18. Jsnuk says:

Day 1 DLC makes me want to commit genocide on the welsh.

19. Navagon says:

I really should get round to playing the first one…

20. Freud says:

I won’t buy this at release. It was stupid enough with the Dragon Armour that I found no upgrade for in the entire game in the original game, but they are expanding on the concept? Might buy it when it reaches the bottom of the bargain bin.

21. thebigJ_A says:

I’d much rather hook up with the “virginal girl next door” (assuming the clip was actually showing the person referred to) than the gypsy chick. The first girl was cute, the second was ridiculously proportioned.

It really depends on their personalities, though. :)

• MadTinkerer says:

Ah, Bioware. One of the few Western publishers to bother stealing the good Japanese RPG tropes and do it well enough to pretend it was their idea.

Not that I have any problem with that whatsoever. :)

22. malkav11 says:

I did preorder, myself, but all the signs keep pointing to them having ditched the Dragon Age I knew and loved. I’m playing Awakening, at long last, and just crying at how good the game they made was and how wrongheaded some of their confirmed design changes for the sequel are. I’m just hoping the stuff that’s been highlighted for me recently (single main character with fixed backstory; ME-style conversation wheels) is the extent of it. I dislike those choices (if I wanted Mass Effect, I can play Mass Effect), but as long as the combat remains deep, party based and tactical I’ll ultimately be okay.

23. MadTinkerer says:

Actually, I did just realize I do have a legitimate gripe: you can’t preorder it on Steam. You could do so for the first one, but not #2. Boo.

shlomme says:

Ignoring all those pre-order goodies and the 0-day patchesDLC, the trailer has me actually intrigued. It’s not going to be very open-world, as it seems, but I like the idea with the framed narrative.
    Also, I like that they acknowledge the fact that everybody knows the outcome (“Protagonist becomes champion of City”), but then again, how many story-driven games are there where you are not the hero of the known universe at the end of the game (unless you stop playing).

25. Kompatriartes says:

Why the hell preorder at all, then?

shoptroll says:

Actually, it just showed up on Steam for pre-order yesterday (at least in the US). Conveniently after the Signature Edition promotion had expired.

• Basilicus says:

“Can’t preorder on Steam? No idea if the game is any good? No idea if the DLC is any good?

Why the hell preorder at all, then?”

Because, as much as I love Steam, Impulse’s updater is more dynamic and allows you to go back to previous versions (my biggest problem with DA:O was auto-updates not being wholly stable and needing, er, updates).

Because KOTOR/Jade Empire/Mass Effect/DA:O/Mass Effect 2/Awakening.

Because it’s $10 cheaper to buy with the an extra DLC than be a stick in the mud. They’ve so far released two versions, one for “loyal” customers and one for those who want to wait. I have no problem being rewarded for trusting Bioware ahead of time, and I’ll trust them until they give me a reason to not do so.

• Hoaxfish says:

If you could preorder it on Steam, would it come with a TF2 hat?

26. noom says:

Pre-order now to not have content arbitrarily stripped from you!

27. Pijama says:

Baaaaaaah, it’s a piece of crap.

28. New Player says:

The writers still think their company is about games evolution. But that’s just because they’re dumb and don’t develop themselves. BTW, this shot looks a lot like it was from a N64 Zelda-game.

29. Namos says:

Well, I preordered last year with a nifty coupon savygamer spotted, so a bit of saving there (cheers, LewieP). I’ll probably not buy any DLC, though. I hope by the time they’re finished with all the DLC and release the GOTY edition, EA and other companies might realize that it would be a good idea to release DLC bundles, for those of us who don’t want to overpay for content. Ironic that “Horse Armor” Bethesda was the first to come up with the concept, with Knights of the Nine.
    They probably need to release these overpowered items as a preorder bonus since there is no way to mod in super-powerful items anymore. The Mabari War Hound whistle is very similar to a mod that allows you to have your dog with you as a fifth member of the party in DA:O.

30. bill says:

Not played the first one yet, as it seems impossible to buy these (or mass effect) in Japan.

But that story trailer looked really interesting (other than the stupid boobs). It’d be really nice to have a fantasy RPG that’s more like a fantasy novel, and less about the usual CRPG tropes.

TBH, that’s what I was hoing for when i first read about dragon age abut 6 years ago – something more like being in a novel. BUt then it seemed like it turned into just another fantasy rpg.

El_MUERkO says:

i think i’ll buy the GOTY edition and then add a bunch of the best available mods to it

• pizzapicante27 says:

The toolset wont be compatible with DA2 and Bioware said theyre MAYBE planning the toolset as a DLC thingy.

32. Mitza says:

I would like to punch pretty much everyone in that video, they sound like ass kissing slaves, but that might be just me.

But besides that, I’m genuinely excited about this game. I enjoyed DA:O more than I expected and the new take on the story sounds pretty interesting. I was on the fence until I saw the PC combat video: can I still pause and plan my moves? Yes? Bought!

33. sicsemperjohn says:

Finally seeing that senior writer talking about “against the wall romance” does a lot to explain Bioware romance scenes over the last few years. I bet she writes romance novels under a pseudonym.

• Hoaxfish says:

Bioware games are only a hop, skip and a jump away from those Japanese “romance” games

• Nick says:

I miss the BG2 romances. Now its three conversations and a fuck.

• pizzapicante27 says:

Just like a Japanese dating-sim

34. The Great Wayne says:

Boobies !

DA2: the virtual awkward sex simulator of tomorrow.

35. Nick says:

I don’t see the appeal of basically removing the need for item acquisition from an RPG, oh well.

Next Diablo 3 pre-order will net you full suits of the ultra rarest set items or something.

36. BobsLawnService says:

As long as they don’t have a random character standing around your camp who says “Buy the DLC for my quest” like they did in the last one. Immersion, suspension of disbelief? Who needs that shit in their RPG.

Hacks.

37. MattM says:

So if I preorder, then a balance breaking cheat code will be enabled from the very start of the game? No thanks.

38. Billzor says:

Where da black people at?

39. Conor says:

BLEEEARRRRGGHHHH *falls down*

40. Kadayi says:

Delete please. Nested response fail…

41. green_genes says:

So any word on if this will allow mods like DA:O? If so, I can see the tactical zoom being modded in within a month.

• pizzapicante27 says:

They said the engines werent compatible but MAYBE they would think of a toolset as a DLC thingy

42. pizzapicante27 says:

Ugh I hate Bioware pre-order items, they either: game-breaking overpowered, or backpack-trash useless.

43. Kadayi says:

Broken response system…

44. Nimic says:

Uh. So, I already pre ordered (but not paid for) the Signature edition on Gamersgate. What does that entail, then? I sort of assumed that was the pre-order edition. Then it turns out the pre order edition is the pre order edition. Is my pre ordered edition also a pre order edition? Will I get pre order edition (I tell you, it’s getting harder and harder to make sense of the phrase “pre order edition” the more I type it) items with my pre ordered Signature edition?

• pizzapicante27 says:

Last time every store got their own pre-order toys, maybe this are only steams and your gonna get your Gamersgate ones?

45. DOLBYdigital says:

Sigh… absolutely hate all this DLC crap that every f@*king game has now. Its like they know their game is crap and just want to lock you into the sale with silly goodies before you realize the game is junk…. or before you realize you can just wait a year and get it all for much much less.

Also that shield is just ridiculous looking and would hate to have the same over powered sword through out the game. Sorry for the whine and cheese, had a mini rage :)

46. lumminator says:

Dragon Age 2 is available Now!!!
    Best multiplayer, what i saw!!!
    Roleplaying wohoo!!