Shogun 2 Trailer Shows Campaign Features

By Jim Rossignol on January 13th, 2011 at 5:08 pm.

You probably have a decent idea of how Total War plays already, but this new trailer is also full of in-game footage, and details stuff like the XP system for agents, which allows you to unlock new skills for them, as well as a bit about the agent types themselves, such as ninja and geisha assassins. There’s also a selection of campaign map action and some spectacular battlefield sequences. Whatever your grumbles about the series, there’s no denying this looks seriously impressive. Take a look, below.

, .

1. Teronfel says:

This is gonna be EPIC!!!

2. Navagon says:

This is a must have for me. They’d have to do something truly awful to it to change that.

Is it just me or did they label the real time battles and turn based map incorrectly? And no this is not truly awful enough to change my mind.

• kirkbjerk says:

Haha I noticed that too.

Whoo can’t wait!

• Maykael says:

I’m here with you on this one. Not even the crappy AI (though it’s fixed a bit, but not too much) and some of the bugs of Empire did not stop from really enjoying myself during that game. I just really dig Creative Assembly’s take on the strategy genre. That’s how it should be done in terms of scale.

3. Theory says:

At one minute: I think they got those labels wrong…

Also, how depressing is it that after ten years, they really are still the cutting edge?

• Soon says:

But does it have RoboGeishas?

• HexagonalBolts says:

haha they did get the labels wrong. Made me laugh. Like when you have a photo of a celebrity and a friend you’re comparing and you swap their name labels around.

• Jeremy says:

Well, at least they didn’t say “bleeding edge” because… ugh, I hate when people say that.

4. l1ddl3monkey says:

The original Shogun is still my favourite Total War so I have high hopes for this

5. derf says:

I’m afraid this trailer reveals precisely nothing.

El_MUERkO says:

Looks good, still not going to buy it at launch, will wait and see how it plays and pick up a GOTY or sales version.

/still bitter over Empire

[edit]this post was originally to point out the mistake at the one minute mark but I was beaten too it :)

7. Heynes says:

Oh dear, this looks like it’ll rape my GPU, just like how Empire did for my old card before I upgraded last year, and just like Rome did before I upgraded to my old setup.
    And stop eating my comments, please RPS. I have to remember to ctrl-c everything I write from now on.

• Starky says:

If you use firefox get an addon called Lazarus, it backs up everything you type for you.

• RegisteredUser says:

I have moved to obsessively copying / writing to notepad first after the first few incidents with expiring web forms.

Never again. Whoever invented a standard that did not ask the browser to cache user input before form submittal needs to be forced to peel potatoes for the rest of his life.

8. Giaddon says:

I’m looking forward to this, and I’m very curious (having never played Shogun 1) how the much smaller scale is going to feel after the mega-hugeness of Empire.

9. Ricc says:

This week is trailer week on RPS.

10. Zenicetus says:

Looks like they put the AI programmers in charge of labeling the video.

Sorry…. couldn’t resist. Maybe the smaller scale will help with the AI design. Empire was a huge disappointment, and I’d need to see a demo before buying this one. Sure looks pretty though.

• Reiver says:

The return to melee focussed gameplay has got to help them as well. So many (although far from all) of the AI’s foibles were a result of them being unable to understand how to maximise or focus their firepower. Not that the bizarre, neither historical nor fun way that CA programmed muskets to function helped things. It may not be the height of intelligence but charging into and engaging a unit will at least cause more of a challenge than forming a box round a milling bunch of constantly re-shuffling, overlapping units. Nor willl we have to slap our foreheads aginst the desk as the ai deploys their canons behind a hill and starts tryying to burrow through.

11. bookwormat says:

Here is the trailer that would convince me to buy:

– Show the title for 2 seconds.
    – 3 seconds in which you see Tom Chick saying: “This time, the AI does not suck.”.
    – Show the title for 2 seconds.

• DarkFenix says:

The problem with that is they’ve been saying it every time so nobody believes the AI will be any good anyway.

• The Innocent says:

I agree. If Tom Chick approves of the AI, then I’ll approve of it too. That dude is hard to please.

12. Fumarole says:

I have a feeling that the rotatable campaign map is going to be one of those things that I’ll wonder how I ever played Total War without.

• The Hammer says:

God yes.

“Hey, I like this game a lot, but I miss Rome! I’mma going to install it! Dum-de-dum… hey, it’s finished installing! Right… campaign. Oh, I need to play the practice campaign again… ugh… OK, I’ll grin and bear it. Loading… OK. Time t- waaaaait I can’t rotate the camera?! I feel blind! How am I meant to see anything?!”

Tagert says:

Looks like the Assassin/Geisha videos are making a comeback. I hope they’re as hilarious as the originals!

14. TrepValkyrie says:

Just wait for DarthMod to come out for this and all will be well.

Worked for Empire TW

and MTW2

and Rome…

15. Subjective Effect says:

It looks epic, yes.

An epic time sink! If they pull off the non-combat/diplomacy/agent bit well this is going to be soooo absorbing. I loved Shogun but my head hurts thinking about how complex this should/could get.

16. battles_atlas says:

After last two games I doubt I’ll ever love the series like I once did, but I think the focus on lineage and individual generals in this game could really add a much needed depth. Empires was vast but so souless. Actually giving a toss about a particular unit could add some much needed flavour.

17. RegisteredUser says:

As long as they haven’t overdone the gunpowder stuff, I’m all ears.

Nothing was more boring than their games / the wars set in a time where all men did was stand in front of each other and shoot, reload, shoot..until someone gives up or runs out of men.

God that was terrible.

But I am looking forward to spears, samurai swords and – fingers crossed for someone to not forget this – the awesome powah of teh shuriken. Also, perhaps, a small ninja special force akin to the unrealistic but awesome elites(forgot their name) in Rome:TW, mastah king assassins! :D

18. foop says:

Help, it’s happening again. I’m getting wildly excited about the new Total War release.

I know it’ll end in tears, and with a six month wait until the fifth patch finally makes the game vaguely playable. But I just can’t help myself. Noooooo!

19. Shigawire says:

I’ve been a Total War fan since Shogun. Much have changed in 11 years.
    But I was disappointed in the ahistorical balony of RTW (hence our mod EB)

I was then disappointed with Empire’s buggyness and horrible AI – but that was because AI programmer Mike Slaughter quit CA before he finished the job.

To be an AI programmer for CA must be the most challenging and rewarding out there though. So many factors to consider. Campaign AI, pathfinding not restricted by Risk-like sectors, the possibility to ambush in forests, naval landings. And the battle AI must be a monster to code on its own. Finding a balance between unit group cohesion and unit individual behavior (with motion-capture). And then the AI has to know what kinds of tactics to use in which situation. It’s much easier making an AI for a regular RTS. That’s what makes CA the best at their game imo. They always push boundaries, though sometimes they overreach, and sometimes they foul up.

Still, what other Strategy developers have pushed the boundaries as much as CA have? Blizzard? Well, they made Starcraft in the 20th century (98), and 12 years later they’re still stuck in the 20th century. But milking has always been the strong-suit of Blizzard. *cough* WoW *cough*
    Paradox? Well, I played Victoria 2, HOI and such. Victoria 2 is impressive as a grand strategy game, but haven’t really changed the core game mechanics. Pretty much unchanged since Hearts of Iron.
    So I wouldn’t call them pioneers in the same sense that I consider CA.

Will I pre-order Shogun 2? No. Not after the way they handled Empire. Perhaps it was SEGA’s fault for breathing down the developers’ neck too much, and for having crappy Quality Assurance and testing.

I will most likely buy it when I’ve confirmed with reviewers and friends that the game is indeed polished.