Tight(s): DC Universe Online Basically Out

By Quintin Smith on January 13th, 2011 at 4:58 pm.

Nana nana nana nana BAT-MAM

I appreciate the enormous advert on our site says that DC Universe is out tomorrow, but that’s in the UK. In America, it was released two days ago, and it won’t be arriving in Australia for another week. Therefore I’ve checked our readership statistics and, using the globally accepted ratio that an American is worth 0.5 Europeans and an Australian is worth 1.15 Americans, determined that 5pm, Jan 13th is the mathematically perfect time for us to post that DC Universe Online is basically out. Look, there’s a launch trailer and everything.

At last! We can all go and play with classic DC characters, like Supermam, Batmam, Womder Woman, the Jokerman and a massive egg.

Is anybody playing it, then? Does anybody have any initial impressions?

__________________

« | »

1. tKe says:

I’d like to point out you posted 2 minutes before the perfect moment.

Shameful.

2. Danarchist says:

As an American I can tell you your math is flawed.

• BooleanBob says:

SSSSSSSSSssssssssss.

• triple omega says:

Really? You’re worth even less then 0,5? So that means he’s early with the news?

Hold on, let me just wipe my memory so he can try again. Don’t want to jump the gun here. *wipe*

• Danarchist says:

Well remember that the next time you need us to save you collective powdered asses from your neighbors :)

• mondomau says:

Don’t you mean ‘We’ll remember that next time you want someone to sit on the fence for most of the conflict, before jumping in at the end in the most wildly overenthusiastic manner possible?’

• pizzapicante27 says:

No I think he meant “Next time we need someone to help us pay the weapons for our independece, support our government for the first 20 years of existence, sell you half your current territory so your economy is not that of a third world country, give you intel on nazi positions so your soldiers wont be butchered on a random fortified beach and your ships dont sink due to a storm you couldnt detect”, I think thats what he meant to say.

• Barnaby says:

Based on your conversion rate I now like this site half as much. Your low blow is not appreciated!

Angry Americans are ANGRY!

• thebigJ_A says:

I’m an American, too, and I just want to say, Europe is cool with me.

It’s England that sucks. :p

• pizzapicante27 says:

And what about Rusia?

• Martha Stuart says:

Wait a second here, everyone in America is FAT so should we be worth like 2 or 3 europeans?

3. Jake says:

It came out a couple of days ago in the UK too, at least on Steam.

I’ve been enjoying it, it’s fun leaping or swooping around Metropolis or Gotham just seeing the sites. The combat is slightly peculiar, it feels odd clicking LMB to punch for example, and the UI – especially the chat system – is terrible. Oh and the voice acting is great, probably the best change from the boring, boring quest dialogue in games like WoW.

But as a massive comic book geek, the chance to make your own hero/villain and zoom around occasionally bumping into Bizarro is just fantastic.

4. ad_hominem says:

For one glorious moment I thought you typed Baman.

5. Easydog says:

It’s fun, but moreso once you pick up a gamepad. It’s a slick little ball of nonsense but I’m curious if it has the ability to hold my interest over long periods of time. I’m enjoying the combat and the movement modes and it does help that I’m a big comic nerd. Most of my playtime has been spent getting all starstruck over the DC Heroes :)

• ScubaMonster says:

How would you say it compares to City of Heroes or Champions Online? The combat sounds interesting, but I was curious about the game as a whole compared to those.

• Easydog says:

I prefer it to both. It’s very much rooted in the idea of a console ‘action’ rpg and therefore the combat is quicker and less muddlesome. With a gamepad it’s closer to Devil May Cry than City of Heroes, featuring unlockable combos and what have you. The world is, unsurprisingly, deeper and more rewarding to explore and it’s pretty quick. The character creation is more limiting than I had hoped and I can see the combat getting repetitive though, which is my one big worry so far.

• Easydog says:

Oh yeah, I had to put IE as my default browser to get the game to work as the launcher is based on flash in IE. That pissed me off.

• Catastrophe says:

My default browser is FireFox and it works fine?

• Easydog says:

I know, it seems to be that way for most people. But I had problems launching it because the launcher wouldn’t recognise my browser. I had java updates, turned off and hadn’t even installed IE (completely) and after exhausting all other options I installed IE and updated flash on it (having previously updated it on mozilla) and that finally got it working. I know one or two others had similar problems but most didn’t. It could be coincidence, but I think it’s something to do with making sure everythings updated on all your browsers and I didn’t even want IE properly on my machine.

6. Torgen says:

The biggest problem with DCUO is that there are very important powersets missing, and the devs apparently couldn’t figure out how to implement them. There is NO super strength powerset. On top of this, when creating your character, you are presented with buttons to pre-selected powersets: buttons that say “Inspired by Superman” and “Inspired by Wonder Woman” and “Inspired by Batman” etc.

Know what you get when you press “Inspired by Superman”? You get Fire powers, flight, and brawling. Flash gets you a red and yellow costume, Fire powers, brawling and superspeed. Wonder Woman gets you Mental powers. The only “Inspired by X” hero button that is a real match is Batman: Gadgets powerset, brawling, and Acrobatics. (It would be easy to make Hawkman, but I can’t remember if they gave him an “inspired by” button or not. There’s maces, at least.)

The devs’ answers to the constant “why no super strength/toughness powers” in beta were that the were concentrating on the “core” power sets of the DC Universe: Fire, Ice, Mental, Sorcery, Gadgets…. and Plant powers/Shapeshifting. Yep, being covered in vines and turning into an animal was a more important power set than Superman’s.

The devs suggest not taking powers you don’t like and gimping yourself until level 15 when you can start picking “iconic” powersets. Also, non of those “iconic” powersets are super strength based. You get to choose from Wonder Woman’s bracelets, her lasso, Black Canary’s scream, a self-targeted force bubble from Green Lantern, etc. I ended up taking gadgets on many of my characters, especially my speedster, and limping along until I could unlock some combat powers in the superspeed travel power instead of having him shoot flames or ice.

As I’ve mentioned before, the combat is fun if you approach it as a fighting game where the super powers are power-ups (many can’t be used until you charge your combo meter to half or full,) and the artwork and models are great, as is the voice acting, as mentioned above.

With no super strength, no Green Lantern powers (even though the GL Corps are in the game) and other missing powers like Captain Atom (who also is in the game) I can’t see paying $50 plus $15 a month for a pretty console fighting game. If they add more power sets, and the box price comes down to $20, I might return.

• Jake says:

I figured picking Brawling was kinda like super strength, after all instead of shooting or using swords you just use your fists to punch cars to death. I was more off-put that everyone has a degree of super strength, enough to pick up vending machines etc, which looks odd when my little old evil scientist did it, but then it is also odd he can fly. I do agree it is a shame there is no plain old Strength talent tree, if you want to be an invulnerable tank type you have to have crappy fire or ice powers.

I am glad not everyone can be Superman, he is meant to be a step above mere superheroes. And not having Green Lantern powers is also a good thing – as your character isn’t a GL Corps member it would be out of place (and pretty hard to do in a game).

E- just checked, there is an iconic Super Strength at lvl22 that lets you lift cars etc.

• Azradesh says:

There is an iconic power called super strenth and you can get that at level 10, not 15.

• Catastrophe says:

Superman’s powerset can’t really be labelled as one powerset, He has heat vision, super strength and regen, he can fly, frost breath – He’d be a Fire-frost Ubertank.

They have mentioned adding more Powersets like Atomic and Electric.

Also I can lift Cars… with my telekinesis :)

7. Torgen says:

Oh, if you play and make a villain, pick the Joker as your Patron. The initial mission arc for him was twistedly awesome.

8. qrter says:

I don’t get the “Tite(s)” thing in the topic title – what am I missing?

(I mean, I’d get “Tight(s)”, so there must be more to this..)

• Quintin Smith says:

It’s like, “Tight!” as in my catchphrase, but instead it is “Tites”, as in “Men in Tites”, and did you notice that the best jokes are the ones that you have to explain.

• Quintin Smith says:

What on earth. I just googled it and tites are, in fact, spelt tights. Where on /earth/ did I get tites from?

• Jim Rossignol says:

We need a new Quinns, this one is broken.

• Mac says:

I think you had Tits on your mind and compensated with an E

• Matzerath says:

Earth-Two, maybe? Or are you spending the subscription revenue on booze?

• The Hammer says:

I find the best jokes are the incorrect ones, Quinns.

*coughs*

• westyfield says:

I was wondering the same thing. ‘Tight’, I get, and ‘tights’ makes sense, but the alternative spelling made me worry there was a third level of the joke that I was missing.
      Also, out of the corner of my eye I misread the title as saying ‘titties’.
      Also also: Quinns, they are called tights on account of how they are both Tight! and tight.

• UW says:

Ahaha, this made my day.

• Catastrophe says:

He appears to be malfunctioning… I think this one is Egg Fu is disguise!

9. Jimbo says:

It’s been available on Steam since the 11th. It isn’t very good, but better than Champions.

For the first 10 levels it might as well be a SP game – a bad SP game with terrible mission design. The basic structure seems to be: Do a handful of choresome MMO “Kill 20x, Collect 15y” missions, then do an OKish instanced mission which has had some effort put into it, repeat.

• Creeping Death says:

Most MMO’s I find I can reach mid 20s before I have to interact with anyone else. That’s not exactly a new thing :P

• Barnaby says:

What mmo have you played that you party that early on in the game? Just curious.

• Catastrophe says:

I’m an avid player of WoW but I must say I could level 1-85 without the need for grouping…

10. Tei says:

My favorite superhero is the main character from Quake 1, is the perfect mix of Horror and Happyness (thinks Sponge Bob).

Can you troll in this game?

I would make “Dora the explorer” with running powers and a dancing/singing backpack.

11. lolfang says:

I watched some gameplay videos and didn’t liked it. Preferring Champions Online, and it will be free very soon.

12. Sarkhan Lol says:

The game was fun in beta, which is a pleasure for me to admit, because I was sure it was going to be trash. It didnt have anything even pretending to approach STATESMANCORP’s versatility in character creation, but the action was fluid, impactful and enjoyable, and being a hero in a canonical DC universe was a novel feeling even for hardened pessimists such as myself.

The requisite crippling flaw is that there just isn’t enough content, especially for a paid game. The endgame, which you’ll reach a good deal sooner than you expect, consists of a couple of raids and being able to play all the previous content all over again. That and hanging out in lowbie zones waiting for someone on the opposite faction to flag themselves. You can roll a character of the opposite faction, but you’ll find that the content is not only similar in many cases, but exactly the goddamn same. Both heroes and villains want to you fight SUPER APES, the heroes because, well, super apes are just unamerican, and the villains because Luthor is mad he didn’t think of it first or whatever. Heroes will ask you to use ten magical crystals to reverse their evil spells, villains will ask you to use the same crystals to make those evil spells just that little bit more EVIL.

So that’s that. It’s still a very fun game, but don’t go buying any lifetime subscriptions unless you only have a week to live.

• Sarkhan Lol says:

I mean logically that would still be a waste of money, but what do you care?

13. Epic Fael says:

Judging by the screenshot, Batman is definitely basically out. And totally fabulous.

14. Tasolth says:

A cool and fun game no doubt, but Sarkhan put it perfectly, don’t go buying a lifetime sub.

Treat it like a singleplayer game with more intelligent (mostly) bots and you will not be too far off.

15. Arglebargle says:

I’m in the real negative camp on DCUO. For my tastes anyway, though they seem to be a bit curmudgeonly of late. It has the shallowest character creation of the three competitors and the shallowest of power sets. It has the type of horrible clicky combat interface that I really dislike, though others may think it ‘more skillful’. These were just the sort of maneuvers that put me off many of the martial arts fighting games, which I otherwise really loved. The interface is very much designed for a PS3 controller. Not much content at launch for the speed of advancement. The DC universe, which as I played, I remembered why I didn’t care for it that much.

Saw an astute observation that this game was designed with the idea that you wanted to play as the iconic superhero, not as your own superhero.

If any of these things are not important to you, then you might have more fun than I did. My other caveat is that I started playing mmos with CoH, and still play.

16. mwoody says:

What I don’t get is why they didn’t dip into Vertigo, which I thought was owned by DC, for more interesting characters. Swamp Thing, Death, Dream, Constantine… THAT’S a universe I’d buy into.

17. Catastrophe says:

I’ve been playing DCUO since 11th and I live in England. 11th was the worldwide release date but Sony seemed to forget to tell their distributors. Luckily Steam unlocked it on the 11th :)

So far its a fantastic game – seriously – even people who don’t play MMORPGs should try it as the gameplay is closer to a Sandbox Combo Orientated Prototype with more awesome features and the quests and leveling do not feel like a grind at all.

The Storytelling is also fantastic and the Voice Acting is impressive.

If anyone is playing it on the Europe servers, I’m on the Bloodstorm-PvP server, main Hero named Cataclysm.

18. destroy.all.monsters says:

A huge number of people still can’t play this at all due to the crappy launcher app. Holding off until it is really fixed would be a good idea.

• Catastrophe says:

Whats wrong with the Launcher App?

• Sarkhan Lol says:

SOE. QED.

• destroy.all.monsters says:

If you look on the general tech support section of the forums many people are having problems downloading or playing the game. The Launcher often only lets you download so much and then ctd. Literally half the tech support threads are about the launcher app.

Basically you pay for a game you can’t play. Some folks seem to have no problem with it. Really a launcher app shouldn’t need IE, or Active X based flash but even if you have that there’s still the crashes to desktop and the refusal to download after a certain (albeit random) point.

19. EthZee says:

Did anyone look at the screenshot and hope for a second that they’d brought back the “POW! BIFF!” floating sound effects when fighting people as batman?