Exorcising Elder Scrolls’ Voice Issues?

By Alec Meer on January 14th, 2011 at 9:40 pm.

24 years on and they still haven't resolved Flash Gordon's cliffhanger

I hadn’t heard that Max Von Sydow (him from the Exorcist, The Seventh Seal, er-ah-um Judge Dredd and the voice of Vigo in Ghostbusters 2) was voicing a major character in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Mixed feelings: I had this cynical concern that half the reason there were so many repeated, annoying and repeatedly annoying voices in Oblivion and Fallout 3 was because Bethesda blew all their actor budget on hiring Patrick Stewart and Liam Neeson respectively. I really don’t understand that kind of stunt-casting in games – you don’t see the guy, so the same promotional clout just doesn’t exist. Why not spend that money and complication on hiring a dozen great-but-cheap unknowns to better bring your world to multi-voiced life?

The honourable Mr Von Sydow, however, is much more of a character actor than a limelight-hogging celebrity type, and I suspect he’s a damn sight cheaper too.

I think the old legend could actually fit the game more naturally than his arguably more recognisable predecessors; he’s got a long history of being authorative and magnetic even whilst trapped in the most horrific guff/shlock/camp (Dredd, Ming in Flash Gordon, far too many TV movies…) For instance:

Oh, that film. That film.

Anyway, back to Max circa 2011. Certainly, these making-of-Skyrim videos from Game Enforcer suggest his strangely pan-continental, sonorous tones will work well. Doesn’t sound like he’s phoning it in, either. It appears he’s a noble character of some sort, but I’m still holding out some hope that Bethesda are going to reveal Ming The Merciless himself is Skyrim’s big bad. Magic rings, dodgy robes, funny facial hair? C’mon, he’s made for it.

Oh yes, and I’m sure many of you will be glad to hear that Jeremy Soule is returning for soundtrack duties too.

What I really need to know, however, is that the guy who did Brother bloody Jauffre and about 50 per cent of Oblivion’s incidental male NPCs will not return. Please. I’m sure Ralph Cosham is an absolutely lovely bloke, but I hear his voice in my nightmares.

Still, this makes me feel better:

Yeah, you’d better accept my surrender. No, wait.

, .

1. rei says:

I believe he will voice some old guy from the Blades who acts as your mentor. I doubt there will be much in the way of magic rings or robes or beards I’m afraid, since he’s a military man.

2. The Pink Ninja says:

Hi, I’m Max Von Sydow and I like pigs in knickers

3. Premium User Badge AndrewC says:

oooo don’t you say anything bad about Flash Gordon I swear

4. Chopper says:

Judge Dredd. Wow,I remember this coming out and can’t believe I still haven’t seen it. It looks pretty special. Rob Schneider. Did they have to put Rob fucking Schneider in it?

• Starky says:

Judge dread is an awesome film – for all the wrong reasons, it’s so awful that it is amazing.

• Sarkhan Lol says:

THEY BETRAYED THE LORE

• patricij says:

I love this movie….I care neither of what the critics say, nor of the “betraying the lore” thing…

• megalomania says:

BETRAYED THE LORE? I AM THE LORE!

• DiamondDog says:

A terrible film in every single way, to be sure, but it does have the best bit of chin casting in movie history. That thing deserved an Oscar.

• DrugCrazed says:

I FOUGHT THE LORE AND THE LORE WON

• Sarkhan Lol says:

“LOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRE!” — Rico Dredd, philosopher.

• Brumisator says:

I DIDN’T BREAK THE LAWN! I AM THE LAWN!

• Bhazor says:

Lore? Lore never changes.

• drewski says:

It’s a rare film that actually is so bad it’s kind of entertaining. I hated that era of comic book movie adaptations, but when Judge Dredd is on the gogglebox, I’ll usually flick it on if I’m not busy.

• dadioflex says:

Judge Dredd had the Angels, Rico an ABC Warrior and a bunch of other cool stuff. Compare what was done to I Am Legend and you can’t really complain. Sure, the helmet but what ya gonna do?

Haven’t read it for years, but back in the days of Walter the wobot, and the landlady Maria there was an English toff type who was his personal Huggy Bear. What was his name?

• dogsolitude_uk says:

It was Max Normal, Dredd’s pinstripe-freak informer IIRC.

I liked Otto Sump and Chopper. Chopper was a great character, surfing and graffiti-ing Mega City One. I often wonder if that scene in Fight Club where they set offices burning in the shape of a smiley face is a sort of homage…

• Oddtwang of Dork says:

@megalomania – laser high-five!

5. reticulate says:

I’m sure I’ll buy it and play it.

But I swear to god, if that Jauffre bloke does more than one voice I’ll probably throw the disc out the window.

6. Spacewalk says:

Max was also in Conan where he hired Arnold, Sandahl Bergman and Gerry Lopez to get his daughter back from James Earl Jones. There’s a deleted scene on the DVD where he gets killed by assassins and they spend around five minutes stabbing him death one stab at a time and it’s a brilliant piece of acting.

• Negativeland says:

“There comes a time, thief, when the jewels cease to sparkle, when the gold loses its luster, when the throne room becomes a prison, and all that is left is a father’s love for his child.”

• The Great Wayne says:

And then:

“Die, Ming ! DIE !” *stab* *stab* x10

7. skurmedel says:

Me likey. You can hear some of his accent coming through in those voice recordings :D

8. sinister agent says:

I do hope they use a bit more music this time. What music there was of the other games is lovely, but becomes drearily repetitive after only a few hours. To be fair, that’s always going to happen to some extent, but a bit more variety and simply more of it would make a lot of sense for such a big game.

Also, please guys, please take away the ‘action music’ that completely eliminates the possibility of ever being surprised by anything. Having a wild animal charge you out of nowhere can be terrifying, but if it was signposted the minute the animal saw you from 100m away, it’s ruined.

/whinge.

Sorry, sorry. I am also cautiously optimistic about this news, for the same reasons given. Just… well. It’ll take a lot of convincing that there are big changes coming.

9. de5me7 says:

maybe the writers of skyrim should watch some flash for inspiration

FLASHHHH AAHHAHHHHRR, hes the saviour of the universe…..

in fact, if only they were to make it modable……..

edit. why has no one made a FLASH gordon game? even back to the future has a game these days

10. Old Tom says:

The best voice acting in gaming history has to be Garret of Thief fame … proof that you don’t need movie stars to voice act your game successfully .. hate hearing voices I know in commericals, now games too? Distracting.

• karry says:

In history ? What an audacious thing to say. Garret-man has nothing on any of the Soul Reaver cast. Any Soul Reaver.
      And besides, thats only if you’re talking about rather limited USian gaming history. If you take any SRW title – they got famous awesome voices out of the ass.

• Old Tom says:

What can I say? Garret is AUDACIOUS .. and awesome .. not bad to a relatively unknown stage actor

• Jason Moyer says:

Stephen Russell and Terri Brosius are easily the best VO artists I’ve ever heard.

• Zaboomafoozarg says:

None of those hold a candle to Jay Franke as JC Denton in Deus Ex. It’s a shame, really.

• Ikkusei says:

What about Jennifer “Female Shephard” Hale?

@karry: Always glad to see another Soul Reaver fan. One of my defining gaming memories is the evening I spent ruminating on Soul Reaver 2′s plot after completing it. It was the first time I’d ever given serious thought to a game’s story. And to finish on topic, the stellar voicework was definitely a standout reason for taking the story seriously.

• TreeFrog says:

Jennifer “Bastila Shan” Hale? We should be so lucky. I could listen to her read the phone book. Her voice is like having your brain massaged.

11. Schadenfreude says:

Normally I’d be suspicious too, but Max Von Sydow just has an awesome voice. He’d be the business in a ‘viking’ heavy game.

12. kwyjibo says:

The voice over in the teaser worked really well, but that’s because the voice isn’t paired up to some shit unanimated character staring directly into your face. Hiring any actor of note was pointless when Bethesda were using Gamebryo.

Can’t believe that they had to wait two further games before fixing it.

13. KillahMate says:

I’m sort of torn between emotions, knowing that they could have hired ten awesome voice actors for the price of Von Sydow, but also after listening to that audio clip of his monologue in the making-ofs, he really is amazing.

Hell, maybe they’ll finally do it like Bioware did, hire some big stars for the flashy characters, and still fill out the cast with great voice actors. They’re a huge corporation now, they have the money for it.

14. Navagon says:

Totally agreed with your sentiments here. There are no end of actors looking for work that would no doubt love to get a break like this, even if it’s not the best paid job ever. If it means you’re getting noticed (in a completely faceless way) by over a million people then that can’t be bad.

• Zogtee says:

Max is not exactly a cheap alternative to Patrick Stewart either. He’s a great actor and has an amazing voice, but they could have hired a room full of good unknown actors for the money they’re paying him. Seems like business as usual over at Bethesda, unfortunately.

15. omicron1 says:

Hey Bethesda? Maybe for Elder Scrolls 6, you can focus on making text-to-speech sound natural. Then you could have as much dialogue and as many different voices as you bloody well wanted to!

• KillahMate says:

My sarcasm detector is in the shop, so I can’t be sure if you’re joking or not. In case you aren’t, that’s a terrible idea.

• omicron1 says:

It’s only a terrible idea right now because of the pathetic state of text-to-speech technology. It doesn’t sound right, so nobody’s really been working on it, so it hasn’t moved very far at all from where it was in 1995.

BUT!

Technology itself has improved. Had the same amount of attention been paid to voice generation as has been paid to graphics, it would be more than suitable for use in commercial productions by now. And I firmly believe that, with the right effort, it could be shaped into a usable technology. All it needs is for someone (or ones) to get behind it and make it work…

Imagine a gigabyes-smaller filesize. Imagine never having to hire a voice actor again. (Aside from that big-name feel) Imagine everybody in Tamriel having their own unique timbre and inflection. Imagine being able to write millions of lines of dialogue and thousands of NPC interaction texts without worrying about getting someone to say the lines!

There are three ways to go on this, in decreasing order of difficulty:
      1. Create a realistic approximation of actual voice generation that works in real-time and requires only an inflection-marked text file. Disadvantages: Hardest to make, probably lowest quality.

2. Create a realistic voice generator that is not capable of running in real-time, but that spits out professional quality voice clips from text files without requiring voice actors. Disadvantage: Still requires large amounts of disc space.

3. Use improved versions of existing voice modification technology to add slight variations in timbre and effect to recorded dialogue. Disadvantages: Still requires hiring voice actors, takes up more space than generating on-the-fly. (though less than varied individual voices)

• KillahMate says:

You’re comparing voice generation with graphics, but you forget that the Uncanny Valley doesn’t exist in audio.

In graphics you can have low-poly caricatures of humans, and (with some choice animation) your brain will helpfully fill in what’s missing with suspension of disbelief. It works so well that you can have completely flat, unshaded 2D drawings (like classic Disney) and after a moment of adaptation your brain will think of them as persons.

In sound that doesn’t work. You either create a 100% realistic emulation of a human voice, with all the complexity, or it sounds like a robot. So no dice. And if by ‘realistic emulation’ I mean something like LuxRender for voice, right now we’re still at the Phong shading stage.

Come to think of it, if ever Bethesda were to do such a thing, it would have been for Fallout 3, since that was the one with all the robots…

• Soon says:

The lesson is, omicron1: never have a dream.

Although, to me, option 3 seems reasonable for somebody to develop… at some point.

• Lilliput King says:

Voice acting in Fallout 3 might as well have been done by robots to be honest.

• omicron1 says:

The reason we’re still at the “phong stage” is because the current software doesn’t work well enough to be used in mainstream applications, so nobody will invest in it, so it doesn’t advance. Self-fulfilling prophecy. If just ONE major effort in this regard succeeds, it will be revolutionary.
      However, you’re not quite correct in saying that there is no uncanny valley. There is an area in which voices that sound “off” to a native speaker are completely acceptable; and that area is foreign languages.

Take the following, for instance:
      This provides an example of a Japanese synthesizer. And while the voice it generates sounds like it has a reverb filter on (something I’m almost certain is intentional), it also sounds quite passable, to an American listener, as a Japanese voice.

In other words, foreign languages ARE the lee side of the uncanny valley. All they have to do is record all the lines in Skyrim in synthesized German…

• KillahMate says:

Maybe I should have qualified my comments a bit. I think voice synthesis is the way to go just as much as omicron1 does; we just disagree on how close it is to being a useful reality. In fact we’re decades away from it in my opinion. Also it’s probably going to be of limited use (unless we develop strong AI to go with it).
      I guess I am a bit less optimistic than him.

• KillahMate says:

@omicron1: Aaah. Now we’re agreeing on something. In fact I suggest it should go further than that – I suggest that the actual language itself should be an artificial one. Which game series so far has the best (as in, most realistic) voices? The Sims. Because when people speak in Simlish, you never get that suspension shattering of a voiced line repeated word for word because it’s the same audio file. Simlish isn’t even a language, it’s just a bunch of noises, and still it sounds effective. Now if you have a constructed language, just like Klingon or Elvish, but designed to be easy to synthesize… Naturally, as you noted simply processing written lines wouldn’t be enough, you’d have to have a sort of ‘animator’ for voice (mid-way between actor, director and sound technician) who would deal with inflection and such. But also since it’s a synthetic language you can have ‘acting’ algorithms and procedural techniques to lighten the load. Not to mention alter lines and inflections in real time.

But the real question is – how ready would a typical American gamer be for a game in a foreign language with subtitles? And unfortunately we all know the answer to that one.

• MikoSquiz says:

Why can’t we have “Voiced greeting, followed by the bulk of dialogue as mute text” thing back? That was so much better than full voice.

• stahlwerk says:

Fully synthetic text to speech still has a long way to go before it will be indistinguishable from a real human speaker. Add another ten years before it can replace an actor.

Hybrid algorithms (taking phonemes from a prerecorded library and pasting them together on the fly) are much better, but you end up recording more than you’d actually need, it’s cpu intensive and the occasional glitch or unrecognized word is all the more jarring. Compared to the visual uncanny valley, the aural one is the grand canyon.

16. Grey_Ghost says:

I do so love that man. Always manages to surprise me when his likable characters turn out to be the very bad guys in his movies, oh what a scamp!

17. SpaceAkers says:

Is there a lamer composer than Jeremy Soule?

WHY IS HE IN EVERYTHING??

Hello, would you like your game to have incredibly faceless string instrumentals that sound like everything else in the world??

WELL, I’VE GOT THE JEREMY FOR YOU!!!

• Premium User Badge FriendlyFire says:

Oh, and who would you want to see instead? I’m sorry, but a lot of Soule’s work is really great. The Guild Wars 2 manifesto music is memorable and varied (there are probably many tracks chained together in there).

• omicron1 says:

The sad thing about music for an open-world game is that there are very few places where a truly memorable song may be inserted. Hence the majority of his work tends towards instrumental, ambient music with a few setpieces.

Probably the same reason Red Dead Redemption (which I have not played, but know about) features only a very few actual songs (which play at specific story points) and lots of ambient filler music.

Nonetheless, I have hope for his musical additions to Skyrim. If the Oblivion music was the way it was due to the “Imperial Rome” theme of the world, even Skyrim’s ambient music could well be quite memorable.

• Vinraith says:

Icewind Dale, Morrowind, and Guild Wars all have some of the most memorable and striking music I’ve ever heard in games. Soule’s brilliant as far as I’m concerned.

• Towercap says:

Soule is excellent. I can’t think of Icewind Dale — my favourite Infinity engine series — without bringing up the music.

Also, Guild Wars.

• MultiVaC says:

I think Oblivion’s ambient music was great. I never really thought much of it back when I first played the game, but whenever I hear it now I get a distinct sense of nostalgia. It sometimes even makes me go back and load up the game just to walk around Cyrodiil for a few minutes just for memory’s sake even though it’s a fantasy world that is generic as generic can be. I don’t really know why, but it’s very effective ambient music for me.

• Davie says:

The only person who’s better than Soule, in my opinion, is Jesper Kyd, and his work doesn’t really fit TES. Soule also did the first Dawn of War soundtrack, and if you have any doubts about him, listen to some of that. Amazing stuff.

I was a little disappointed by the combat music in Oblivion though. It was too delicate and slow-paced. Big and swelling, sure, but not the kind of frenetic music you want when flailing about at a crowd of daedra.

• Crescend says:

Oi, Jeremy Soule makes excellent music and I couldn’t be more happier to see him return to continue his work with Skyrim. I’ve personally bought Morrowind and all Guild Wars soundtracks and I still keep listening to them. If you don’t like it, you can turn off the game music and play something else in the background.

18. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

I have no reaction-image for the disappointed countenance I wear when no one here {aside from a fleeting mention of Seventh Seal in the above article} is discussing his incredible collaborations with Ingmar Bergman nor has evidently seen any. If one had seen his performances in these films they’d realise he’s actually the one the best living actors who has just been in terrible films States-side.

In fact he’s easily the best film actor to ever be in a game until Daniel-Day Lewis decides to voice Nostromo in my dream adaptation of Joseph Conrad’s Nostromo, a sand-box GTA game set in the fictional Costaguana in the late 1880′s.

Also, crucially there’s a new set of interviews with the audio director HERE; IT CONFIRMS SPHERE CENTURIONS and therefore the return of the Dwemer to some degree in Skyrim, the unfolding animation really does look impressive.

I could hardly be more excited for the game, if Deus Ex 3 was not coming out, this would definitely be unquestionably my most anticipated game in years. {Let’s not bring The Witcher 2 into this, which I’m also head-over-heels for… what a year.}

• The Dude says:

Give this man a studio and a budget! Do it NOW!

• dogsolitude_uk says:

The Seventh Seal is one of my favourite films of all time.

Oddly, just half an hour ago my G/F and I were discussing which film to watch this evo, and it was a toss up between Darren Aronovsky’s ‘Requiem for a Dream’ or Bergman’s ‘Hour of the Wolf’, featuring Mr von Sydow…

• lokimotive says:

Oh good. I’m glad I’m not the only person who associates Von Sydow with Bergman. As soon as I heard that he was in the game I immediately thought of his work with Bergman and thought having such a strong Nordic presence was an excellent choice for what appeared to be a very Viking game. Now I come to find out that he’s really been in a lot of awful movies. Whatever. He still has a great voice.

19. Fearzone says:

Trivia: Excalibur (1981) was the film debut of both Patrick Stewart and Liam Neeson, and they were both knight who tried to pull the sword from the stone before King Arthur did.

• KillahMate says:

Heh, really?!? Wow, small (acting) world.

• Basilicus says:

I’m not sure if I can beat that, but I can tie it:

The Lion in Winter (1968) debuted on the screen both Anthony Hopkins and Timothy Dalton, as former lovers Richard (before his kingship) and King Philip II of France.

• Gassalasca says:

Whoaaa.

• Premium User Badge Chaz says:

Well the 2006 film Alien Autopsy debuted on the screen both Anthony McPartlin and Declan Donnelly and erm……… I’ll get my coat.

• Rich says:

“MERLIN!”

• Soon says:

And “Dune”, of course, is one of the few films to feature both Patrick Stewart and Max von Sydow.

20. Gassalasca says:

Wow… all these years, and I had no idea Ming was Max von Sydow. :facepalm:

21. Demiath says:

Being Swedish myself, all I can hear when I listen to Max von Sydow is his terrible, thick English accent. No, it’s not “rich” and filled with “character” as the Bethsoft sound guy put it; it’s the embarrassing noise emanating from someone who clearly didn’t learn English properly at a young enough age (which is understandable, given that the man was born in 1929 and the foreign language curriculum couldn’t have been that great back then…unless you count Latin).

• Premium User Badge RedViv says:

Given that he voices a character with a fantasy counterpart Viking background, this might actually fit this time.

• JFS says:

But only for native speakers of English. A Swedish accent to your ears might sound like “Wow, Viking”, while to a compatriot of the speaker it’ll be just like “This is embarrassing, why can’t he do it proper”.
      Additionally, I think the idea of what a Viking should sound like differs a lot between for example American and French native speakers, and a lot more so for the “real” Vikings, today’s Scandinavian states – which, by the way, all have different languages themselves and so probably each have formed a different perception of what a Viking in a movie or game should sound like.
      So, in short: brilliant Norseman to one, awkward old wannabe to the other.

• skalpadda says:

Funny that, I feel he’s one of the few Swedish actors with an international career who manages to have his accent sound natural and not completely dorky. I much prefer it to hearing Stellan Skarsgård trying to sound like an American.

edit: Also, shouldn’t Vikings have more of an Icelandic accent anyway, complete with the very soft “th” sounds and all?

22. Wilson says:

My fondest memories of Oblivion are when I hit a guy with a warhammer and he fell backwards onto a table, knocking cups and things everywhere, and the very bestest time when I killed a bear, and it rolled down a hill. It was the funniest thing ever.

23. WMain00 says:

I’m sure he’ll voice act for all of 5 minutes before they either kill him, send him off to a distant area for you to find him (only to watch him be killed again) or make him sound totally and utterly dull.

I hate Bethesda’s inability to do voice acting right. Oddly though my experience in this has been much improved by New Vegas. Perhaps Obsidian had something to do with that.

24. Out Reach says:

More Brian Blessed.

25. Premium User Badge Lambchops says:

Max von Sydow couldn’t play you,
    Max von Sydow couldn’t play you,
    I know you’d want him to,
    But Max von Sydow couldn’t play you.

26. Premium User Badge Chaz says:

I’m playing Divinity 2 DKS at the moment and I have to say I’m quite pleased at the dialogue and voice acting in that, and I’m pretty sure there’s no one famous reading any of the lines.

27. suibhne says:

I don’t get your point, Alec. Why does Von Sydow strike you as more of a “character actor” than, say, Liam Neeson? And why would you necessarily think he’s cheaper? Notwithstanding his sometimes-embarrassing English-language roles, he’s a much bigger part of world cinema history than anyone else Bethesda has ever snagged.

I’m a fan of Von Sydow, absolutely. But I’m also a fan of Patrick Stewart, Sean Bean, and Liam Neeson, and that didn’t really help my enjoyment of Oblivion’s or FO3′s execrable voice-acting. Overall, this strikes me as very bad news because it seems to be a continuation of Bethesda’s terrible policy of “spend all our cash money on one or two big-name actors and then use grain alcohol to hire four winos to voice everyone else in the entire game”.

28. DJ Phantoon says:

I’m confused. I thought Ron Perlman did the intro and outro for Fallout 3 with the “war never changes” bit.

Or was he Elder Lyons and I just never noticed?

29. Nameless1 says:

“Mixed feelings: I had this cynical concern that half the reason there were so many repeated, annoying and repeatedly annoying voices in Oblivion and Fallout 3 was because Bethesda blew all their actor budget on hiring Patrick Stewart and Liam Neeson respectively. I really don’t understand that kind of stunt-casting in games – you don’t see the guy, so the same promotional clout just doesn’t exist. Why not spend that money and complication on hiring a dozen great-but-cheap unknowns to better bring your world to multi-voiced life?”

Is it a rhetorical question?
    The after-Morrowind Bethesda is just about idiotic decisions and how a good RPG shouldn’t be.

30. noom says:

Obvious choice to do ALL voices in the game is the chap from the “Dot dot dot” review. All in exactly that fashion. Even the women and children.

31. Oculardissonance says:

I’m pretty sure, the range of voices was intentionally limited in both Morrowind and Oblivion simply because they wanted the npcs to interact with each other and engage in annoying idle chatter. Having like seven voices in game meant they only had to record so many idle conversations. IE generic black male talks to generic elf female about mudcrabs. NPC creation in the editors is ridiculously complicated just to facilitate idle chatter and ambient AI

• Premium User Badge Chaz says:

What used to get me was their slightly schizophrenic disposition towards you, greeting you cheerfully only to then come across as angry with you during a conversation and visa versa.

32. bastronaut says:

I dislike famous actors doing voice-over almost as much as the noticing the same actor doing multiple parts. The whole point of a voice over is to make it seem like the voice belongs to the character, and to that character alone. I can see how using famous names on animated films can increase box office, but does it really help game sales?

There are truly talented voice actors out there. Perhaps the problem is that too many of them do comic roles, and there’s a shortage of dramatic talent. Seems like an under-served niche, which equals opportunity. Wish I could act.

• Premium User Badge Thirith says:

There are some voice actors who can do different voices that sound entirely different – check out Billy West’s work on Futurama, for instance. Also, I don’t think the problem with Oblivion and Fallout 3‘s voice acting was that they featured Liam Neeson and Patrick Stewart. It’s that Bethesda thought that having these big names was enough and that the overall quality of the voice acting and writing didn’t matter so much once you’d ticked the Hollywood box. I thought that Stewart and Neeson did decent work with the material, but the material was mediocre at best and extremely inconsistent in quality.

33. FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Or they could get that guy from Big Train: “Throw them into the Peeits ooff Iccceee!”

34. Pwninat0r2000 says:

In that Skyrim trailer he sounds like an old man sloppily mumbling through a mouthful of food while he’s got a cold.

It’s disgusting to listen to and I find the fact that people think this is good voice acting to be hilarious.

Bethesda wasn’t able to hire competent voice actors in the past and have now fallen back on blowing their budget on big nerd names that big nerd manchildren will cream themselves over.

Stuff a handful of grapes in your mouth, put on your best posh accent (that’s english to any yanks reading this), slobber, dribble and slurp for a while and then say some lines.

Congratulations! You now sound like this complete faggot and could possibly get a job as a voice actor at bethesda.

35. Sir Spankalot says:

Max von Sydow is fucking awesome and will make a great addition to the game. I do get your concerns though.