RPS Electronic Wireless Show Episode 48

By RPS on January 14th, 2011 at 2:39 pm.

VISUAL IMAGE! Design me a better one, please.

Jim and John blow the dust off the RPS Electrionic Wireless Studio to record a new podcast for your mind. Do they discuss games? Almost! Herein is chatter about flu, television and hand farting. And very occasionally, games.

We chat about how we play Minecraft, our introduction to the magical world of music via Mark Radcliffe, and Starpoint Gemini. We on The Dream Machine, and relationships in games. John wibbles on about how he doesn’t like Lord Of The Rings, Jim talks about Misfits, and then as we are the premier TV podcast, we compare it to No Ordinary Family.

There’s talk of World Of Love, Jim’s appearance in ICON magazine, and John’s appearance in The Cat magazine. We consider tutorials and accessibility, Severance: Blade of Darkness, and Arnie’s greatest work, The Villain.

Get the mp3 directly from here, subscribe to it by RSS with this, and don’t get it on iTunes from here. If anyone knows why iTunes has stopped updating our podcast, please let us know.

Or listen to it right here:

, .

1. wiper says:

Hurray!

This podcast will make my trip to Slough slightly more bearable.

Did you hear that – you’re making a trip to Slough less horrific. That’s an act of heroism, right there.

• Ian says:

Either that or dangerously conning people who are travelling to Slough that it’s All Okay.

2. Edgar the Peaceful says:

At last, a hand-fart podcast. Civilization is complete.

3. Jonathan says:

Severance! There’s a blast from the past. What a cracking game that was.

4. JohnnyMaverik says:

Nice ^_^

5. dancingcrab says:

Please add the RPS EWS to the Zune Marketplace!

Thanks mateys.

• wiper says:

You can always add the podcast’s RSS feed to the Zune software and it’ll automatically grab it and upload it to your player/Windows Phone – it’s how I was alerted to the new podcast when I was charging my phone :D

• dancingcrab says:

Hurrah, thank you!

6. airtekh says:

RE: Accessible games

I totally agree with Jim’s point about tutorials. Reminds me of the Extra Credits video about Easy Games which had me nodding in agreement as well.

7. Schmung says:

oohh, World of Love. Is anyone from RPS going? I am contemplating it if I can’t attend my local Global Game Jam event.

8. westyfield says:

I think you can manually subscribe to the podcast on itunes. Click ‘advanced’ at the top, then ‘subscribe to podcast’, then paste in http://rps.libsyn.com/rss and it should work, perhaps.

9. Xercies says:

There;s a Extra credits episode about conversation in games and how there should be more conversation and less shooty action its very interesting.

Also I agree that games should definitely learn a lot more from how puzzle games do stuff where you get a small thing and you learn it and then it compounds until you have learnt almost everything you need.

Also I agree about Lord of The Rings, If you think the first book has so much description you haven’t seen the second Book yet, oh my god I just couldn’t get through it. i literally think there’s like 2 pages of a description of one of the leader of the tree people’s cup. Like Charles Dickens JRR Tolkeins works work so much better in film because you get all that unnecessary description out of the way and get to the proper story.

Also Gandalf is a prick in The Hobbit as well, he basically blackmails Bilbo into coming on the journey, doesn’t give a damn about his safety and puts him in a lot of danger and expects Bilbo to find a way out of it himself.

jaheira says:

“Unnecessary description”
      A peculiar phrase. None of the book is necessary. It’s meant to be fun.Or is it that you think an author is only allowed to describe something if it furthers the plot? I don’t understand.

• Chris D says:

I think it’s a case of less sometimes being more. Giving us enough detail to set the scene and build the atmosphere is fine, three pages describing a sunset is a bit much. ( I don’t think Tolkien is that bad.) Think of it as the literary equivalent of a cutscene ypu just want to skip past and get to the action.

I like Lord of the Rings but I think in some places it succeeds despite the writing style rather than because of it.

I do have to take issue with John’s portrayal of Gandalf. The Hobbits all volunteer for the job. Twice in fact, once in the Shire and then again in Rivendell.

Strip away the outer layers of adorableness and John is actually quite a grumpy man. I’m onto you Walker.

10. Ian says:

Jim read a WHOLE book? Like… ALL of the words???

11. The Army of None says:

Oh my. This will make my night when I eventually get around to it. Am excite!

12. Scatterbrainpaul says:

Added Misfits to my Lovefilm list.

Haven’t added no ordinary family to my lovefilm list

• Ian says:

The whole first series is on 4OD on Youtube, if the more immediate option suits you. :)

13. Zefah says:

Yay! More RPSEWS!

John, I hope you haven’t forgotten about Rum Doings!

skalpadda says:

Sweet, it’s been far too long, will listen to it while building my underwater greenhouse (in Minecraft) :)

15. somnolentsurfer says:

Wow, and iTunes actually picked it up as well.

Maybe I’m just showing my woful inexperience with the fairer sex, but I thought the relationship with Tali in the Mass Effect games was one of the few that’s pretty well drawn. Maybe it’s the fact that they forgot to make it about the sex in the first one.

Στέλιος says:

A fuck-off huge hole? GENIUS! Considering I have no real sources of iron it may take me a while with wood and stone.

17. Hybrid says:

A podcast! Just what I need! Yes!

18. Miles of the Machination says:

The reason why itunes has stopped updating is because it is receiving feed information from here: http://rps.libsyn.org/rss instead of here: http://rps.libsyn.com/rss It would be rather grand if you could rectify this, o’ hivemind.

• John Walker says:

I would love to, but iTunes appears to make this absolutely impossible. I guess it’s to stop someone from tricking subscribers into being subbed to something naughty. But I am unable to find any way around this.

• Miles of the Machination says:

Couldn’t you just get in contact with the megaambassadors of The Apple corporation? I’m sure they could pour a few grunts into the progress machine to get something working. Other than that, I suppose you’d have to re-create the podcast with iTunes. However that works.

19. The Dark One says:

I think you guys made a good point about the accessibility of Valve games. I guess we’ll see the true test of that view, though, when DOTA 2 comes out. Taking as something as convoluted and unintuitive as DOTA and not ruining it in an attempt to make it a mass-market product will be pretty tough.

edit: I always figured No Ordinary Family was an Incredibles ripoff. I don’t know if I’ll ever have the chance to look at Misfits, but it sounds a lot more interesting than the American show.

• Thants says:

League of Legends has done a pretty good job of making DOTA more accessible.

20. Thants says:

Misfits is fantastic.

The one part I found disappointing is the episode in season 2 involving video games. For such a genuinely hip and smart show you’d think they have a handle on games and be able to do something interesting, but it was just the same “What someone who doesn’t play video games thinks GTA must be like” that all TV shows seem to do. There was even a little bit of “that’s what you get for playing those horrible things” at the end.

21. ScalyWg says:

Huzzah! an RPS podcast…Round of applause at number 11…thankyou
    overandout

AndrewC says:

I thought this was a really good natter.

The Scharzenegger movie ‘Villain’ is called Cactus Jack in England. It is a movie, it really is a movie.

23. Muzman says:

GTA4 had some the worst tutorial implimentation. You get really far into the game and you’re still encountering new stuff so all the “help” pops up.
    I got to the dramatic confrontation with Vlad, which took some time with arsing about, and there’s this huge build up. It’s very dramatic; here’s Nico’s bad temper and sense of honour coming to the fore. It’s going to change everything about the game if he does what it seems like he might. You chase Vlad to the dock, there’s a big stand off and… *poink* “You can execute people in Grand Theft Auto 4! Simply aim with yadda and press yada”. All the while you’re reading this the scene has semi paused: Nico aiming gangster style (nonono, he’s military) while Vlad shuffles from left to right really really slowly, seemingly forever.
    It’s hilariously bad. Ruins the whole moment. I thought it was stopping the flow to tell me I had a choice in the matter or something. Of course not. May as well have been Clippy popping up “You seem to be trying to murder someone. Would you like me to 1)Aim the gun? 2) Take off the safety? 3)Recommend a type of amunition? Remember; always put one in the brain!”

Anyway. Yay podcast. Severance = best sword swingy game ever, yes.

24. quercus says:

Just for the sake of accuracy, the Arnie / Kirk Douglas film you mentioned (the western with Arnie playing Handsome Stranger) wasn’t called The Villain (at least not in this country), which is probably why nobody has heard of it.

It was called Cactus Jack and was released in 1979 as a double feature with one of the Spiderman films (the Nicholas Hammond ones). I remember seeing it at the cinema and seemed to recall it being very funny, although I was only 11 at the time. I haven’t seen it since.