Earthrise Brings A Slightly Better Trailer

By Jim Rossignol on January 15th, 2011 at 12:08 pm.

Earthrise hooked my attention with its talk of an open, sandbox MMO world of sci-fi shootiness, and then we saw the first beta trailer and, well, it wasn’t the best thing ever. There’s a new trailer now (below), and it’s somewhat better. It’s a little story of some friends adventuring and then getting PvP’d up. It’s also clearly staged/filmed on the live server, too, because you can see a little bit of rubber-banding as the avatars lag in the landscape. Still fairly honest about things, then, and certainly a better trailer.

Hmm.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Caddrel says:

A company that releases a publicity trailer with heavy rubberbanding doesn’t inspire confidence. Maybe we can expect the same attention to detail and high standards in the final product?

• HexagonalBolts says:

I hate saying things like this because I feel really mean to the developers – but is the jittering as they move lag (I presume that’s this ‘rubberbanding’ thing) or just the most awful animations ever?

• Flaringo says:

the jittering is lag, yes.

Napalm Sushi says:

You remember the bit in Hot Shots Part Deux where Charlie Sheen and a mook are exchanging fully automatic machine gun fire in a stationary, standing pose for about 10 seconds, and then the camera pans out to reveal that they’re standing about 8 feet away from each other?

That was all I could think of from 2 minutes 40 onwards.

• Sleepymatt says:

Yep, my initial thought was “Hope they fix the ‘floating 4 inches off the ground’ issue”, but that was swiftly over-ridden by my horror at the total lack of actual game-play or tactcis. Standing pointing my gun in your face while you stand pointing your gun in my face? No thanks, I’ll play Nidhogg, which takes the same idea but makes it fun!

• HexagonalBolts says:

Does anyone have a youtube clip of this fight? I just looked the film up and can’t believe Charlie Sheen starred in something that looks so utterly dreadful haha.

• Bhazor says:

Hot Shots is a parody y’know.

• skurmedel says:

Actually with the exception of Platoon it’s one of his best movies :)

I would also like to point out that WoW fights doesn’t look exciting either.

• Rich says:

The first one was really good. The second, not so much.

• Collic says:

Police squad is the origin of that joke. Couldn’t tell you which one, but if you haven’t seen them, you really should. It was also Leslie Nielson’s finest hour (arguably a tie with Airplane.)

RLacey says:

The very first episode of Police Squad, IIRC.

• Thants says:

There’s a scene like that in UHF as well.

Edit:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n1hKQULa9Y&t=0m45s

3. Gerbick says:

Heck of a wiggle the female character has got. Looks like she’s power-walking.

• samineru says:

Yeah, I wonder if there’s on option in the character creation screen to choose between normal and stripper walk…

4. gibsnag says:

Neocron had better looking faux-FPS combat almost a decade ago.

5. skyturnedred says:

This trailer is a perfect example of why shooty MMOs don’t really work. The fight from 2:40 onwards was just horrible, characters standing right next to each other, stationary, and shooting. And not even hitting.

Even though it doesn’t look very good, I might give it a try if there’s a trial. Every non-fantasy MMO deserves a chance in my books.

6. DevilSShadoW says:

Those animations…
    The horror…
    Cannot unsee…

7. ZIGS says:

This looks fairly awful

8. Bhazor says:

… and still no mention from Masthead about the Fallout MMO they’re supposed to have spent the last two years working on.

9. Tei says:

Looks like a alpha of “Tabula Rasa 1.5″…

Why is people using his fists? I trought people on the future have weapons, like.. you know, spacepistols, and spaceshotguns.

• adonf says:

Yes, that’s the name I was looking for: Tabula Rasa ! I can’t believe I forgot it so fast after reading about it for like 20 years before it came out and bombed.

10. Chalkster says:

Good idea, poor execution. I mean, honestly those animations are too repetitive, the idle animations in particular are terribly so. The female character’s ass borders on fantasstical, but I hope to god it’s not a “one bodytype” kind of game. I honestly could not tell what the hell was going on with that combat, which doesn’t speak well for that aspect of the game. All in all, underwhelming as hell, though I wish it wasn’t because it’s a decent concept and I love it when games have an actual reason for respawning.

• bob_d says:

“I honestly could not tell what the hell was going on with that combat”
      You mean the one where they were all just standing there shooting at each other without moving?
      *Sigh* MMO combat, what can we do about you?

11. adonf says:

I like the scenery. Why don’t they release a version of the game where you can explore without the usual MMO crap (questing, fighting and talking to other people) ?

• bill says:

I’ve been saying that for years about several MMOs. In particular LOTR online.
      I’m thinking of trying that one for free and just ignoring all the quests and running around.

• Torgen says:

I think you can spend your first 12 levels in the Shire. I liked the zone so much, I just wanted to set up shop there and stay. Unfortunately, they’ve tied the crafting quests to combat and higher level zones, so you have to fight and level up in order to progress your crafting skills. :(

12. nuh uh no way says:

What a shame.

13. soundofvictory says:

On the plus side the scenery and backdrops look great…

When will they learn that you need the ability to move while auto-locked on. This allows for a much more dynamic and fluid experience. For instance you could move out of range of their ‘charge’ attack then move behind cover and pop back out when your own charge attack has cooled.

14. MD says:

The screenshot at the top of the post looks a lot like Love.

15. DOLBYdigital says:

I agree the scenery looks great but man oh man is that gameplay rough. I’ve never been a fan of lock on type game play. I prefer real time action where I can dodge and have to actually aim my gun, sword or spells. I kinda feel bad for the people working on this game since I can’t see it doing well but hopefully they learn from it and are able to make better games in the future.