Monday Starts With Goblin War Machine

By Jim Rossignol on January 17th, 2011 at 8:07 am.

Big Block Games recently posted up a rather entertaining Flash game, Goblin War Machine. It’s like a silly physics version of that old side-scroller, Walker. Remember that? With the robot and the tiny, doomed people? Anyway, Goblin War Machine has you crush your enemies, see them run before, and all that, with some optional war machine customisation. You should play it. If you can’t play it, you can watch the video below, and wish that you could.

Funny, I was thinking about designing a game with goblins in. Nothing like this though, really.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Rich says:

This is exactly what the doctor ordered for this wet and weary Monday morning.
    “Cry havoc, and let slip the giant mechanical death machines of war!”

2. grossvogel says:

RPS, I love thee.

3. Mungrul says:

The whole silhouette style seems to be outstaying its welcome. Every other indy game these days appears to be using it.

• Quasar says:

World of Goo did it best. Also first, as far as I can remember.

That game really is TOO good.

• HermitUK says:

You do sometimes get the feeling that it’s a case of simply making all the half finished dev assets black instead of producing some artwork :p That said, it is an attractive option for smaller games and prototyping since new assets are quick to produce.

Certain games still do make excellent use of it, too. Limbo, for instance, where it’s not just an aesthetic choice but an important part of the game’s dark atmosphere.

Enjoyed this, though I do think a different look would have been good – I would love to have seen the strange contraption in the daylight, tiny Goblins scurrying across its surface attempting to stop it from falling apart.

• DrunkDog says:

It’s the new black… erm… yes.

• The Hammer says:

Aye. I don’t really know what separates the art style of this from Limbo?

Shame.

• PleasingFungus says:

The developer mentions that the style is actually based on a game of his from 2008.

Not actually a Limbo clone!

• Wulf says:

I must be crazy, because I find beauty in this art style when it’s done well. The Curious Geographical Explorations of Jasper Morello did this style really well, as did some little Machinarium-ish adventure game I recall. It’s an easy way to generate a lot of art assets for cheap, and obscured art is better than bad art, especially when it actually looks pretty damn good, which this does.

/shrug

I guess this is one of those instances where I disagree with the majority. There are actually games I could think of that would look better if they had this done to them. :p

4. Chunga says:

Okay, now all we need is the Deathly Dishwasher Goblin expansion, and we’ll be set for 2012 and the doomsday rabbits.

5. sonofsanta says:

I do remember that game. Specifically I remember Amiga Power referring to the eponymous robot as a mechanical chicken, or words to that effect, and I could never take the game seriously after that.

It was pretty cool though, back in the day. Especially when you stomped on the peoples.

• Chunga says:

Walker – I think that was one of the last games I played on the Amiga. As said, it had a bit of mechanoid-chicken feel to it. I remember being a bit impressed by the explosions, for some reason.

6. Stevostin says:

Can’t stand the physic in it. The way it behaves is completely erratic to me.

7. drewski says:

That was curiously unsatisfying.

Add me to the list of people bored with silhouette art design.

8. TooNu says:

I liked it, I thought it was quite good fun :)

• Wulf says:

Me too. It was clever. I think some people just don’t have the imagination to dream up what the silhouettes look like for themselves?

Holy crap, I managed to write silhouette without typoing it. First time for everything, I suppose.

9. The Hammer says:

Oh god, oh god, oh god. Walker

I had completely forgotten about that game, although the last time I played it… I was probably a mere six years of age. The screenshots bring back so many memories. Quite a dark game, I remember; so why a happy-go-lucky infant like me enjoyed it I have no idea.

EDIT: DMA Design made it (now Rockstar Games)? Oh, that explains everything.

• Wulf says:

Walker was love.

Rockstar should do a modern reimagining thereof. Or try to, at least. But they should probably keep it a side-scroller.

(Also, the posting of comments too quickly is just broken at this point, and will likely serve to just annoy people than to actually do anything helpful. I’m getting it happen 10 times on entirely new comments for an article.)

• Στέλιος says:

I LOVE Walker. Goblin War Machine is pretty damn great, too.

Comment on this story