IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs Of Dover Announced

By Quintin Smith on January 18th, 2011 at 5:29 pm.

License to IL-2.

Anybody who’s been feeling the recent drought of serious flight sims, anybody who’s been eagerly anticipating the next project from Russian aviation engineer / game designer / genius Oleg Maddox, anybody who’s been thinking fondly of the days when flight sims came with thick manuals, take a deep breath. Your troubles are over. IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover will be released on the 25th of March, and the press release has even got me excited, and I’ve never been into a flight sim in my life. Tell you what, though- I reckon I’ll be playing this.

You like that screenshot up there? Here’s another.

And another!

Click on that last one for bigger. Ooh, yes. Now, here’s the press release in its entireity. Be sure not to miss the bits where it talks about 128 player multiplayer battles which can go on for weeks (“or even longer”), or where it talks about the collector’s edition coming with a cloth pilot escape map, replica Spitfire I Aeroplane Pilot’s Notes and a 150 page ring binder instruction manual.

London, UK – Tuesday January 18th, 2011 – Today Ubisoft announced that IL-2 STURMOVIK™: Cliffs of Dover, will take off on March 25th 2011 for PCs in the UK. IL-2 STURMOVIK™: Cliffs of Dover is the latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik™ series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

In the UK, IL-2 STURMOVIK™: Cliffs of Dover will be available via download and boxed copy exclusively at Ubishop.
IL-2 STURMOVIK™: Cliffs of Dover takes place in 1940 during the pivotal aerial battle for the skies over Britain between the British, the German and the Italian air forces.

Key Features:

• New aircraft: Incredibly detailed true-to-life modeling of aircraft systems based on thousands of hours of dedicated research. Every single aircraft component can be damaged for realistic and immensely satisfying results.
  • Flyable aircraft – Over a dozen famous and highly detailed English, German and Italian aircraft available, with all crew positions open to players. All flyable aircraft have been painstakingly researched, resulting in incredibly accurate cockpit interiors.
  • Non-flyable aircraft –13 additional AI-controlled aircraft are also available, created with the same attention to historical accuracy, for an even more varied and immersive combat environment.
  • Immersive game modes:

• Exciting Single-Player Campaign – The campaign thrusts the player into the middle of the battle. The player will join the British Air Force to fight the German forces and renegade pilots on his own side.
  • Massive multiplayer – Customizable modes range from simple deathmatch-style free-for-alls to epic, ongoing 128 player battles that can last hours, days, weeks, or even longer.
  • Interactive training – Comprehensive interactive training for new players – fly a real WWII trainer plane with a computer controlled instructor through a series of training missions.
  • Brand new setting – The battle will take place on a large area spanning London and southern England in the north, to Northern France and Belgium in the south. The huge map will contain thousands of historical cities, towns, roads, airfields, radar stations, ports, and industrial areas – all located exactly where they were in 1940.
  • New 3D engine – Latest-gen graphics engine with DX10 and DX11 API support. Huge variety of photorealistic ground vehicles, buildings and other environmental elements recreate minute details of 1940s Europe.
  • Customizable difficulty – Dozens of realism options allow newcomers to the franchise to reduce the difficulty and focus on the fun while learning the ropes of being a pilot.

Ubisoft also announced that IL-2 STURMOVIK™: Cliffs of Dover will be available in a special Collector’s Edition, along-side the standalone version exclusively at Ubishop in the UK.

This Collector’s Edition features the following collection of exclusive pilot material assets in a premium packaging:

• The Windows PC version of  IL-2 STURMOVIK™: Cliffs of Dover.
  • A cloth pilot escape map showing The Battle of Britain strategic locations.
  • A replica of the Pilot’s Notes on the Spitfire I Aeroplane, provided to RAF pilots during The Battle of Britain and reprinted from the RAF Museum original document.
  • An in-depth 150-page ring binder pilot instructions.

For more information on IL-2 STURMOVIK™: Cliffs of Dover please visit http://www.il2sturmovik.com

And acting as the final shell in this info-barrage, we’ve got a trailer.

Is there anyone else out there who’s never dabbled in flight sims but feels like this might be the one? Maybe we could start an RPS Cadet Club, or something.

Gentlemen, I do believe I am excited. I won’t be pre-ordering the game just yet, but if you’re so inclined you can do so here, or here for the collector’s edition.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Novotny says:

All my pants are on fire.

Oh, note that they amended that statement recently to include the German campaign, as everyone on the banana forum freaked out and thought it was shipping without a playable Luftwaffe campaign.

2. DarkWeeble says:

Very cool! If you like flight sims try http://freeallegiance.org/. I can’t ever find the time to get into it properly, but I can’t seem to get it out of my head. I keep coming back and learning it in short bursts.

• Zombat says:

Have they fixed the joystick problem they broke last year?

• DarkWeeble says:

I don’t remember seeing any specific complaints but there’s pretty regular updates. At the price of Free is worth checking out again, right?

• GUIDONET says:

Out of all the sims i’ve played over the years, this was still my favorite. I was in the original beta and played until they shut down. It really was a spectacular game that MS left to die. Every year or so i go hit up free allegiance but it’s never felt the same to me. I compare it to how i view most of the great movies from my childhood, best left to the memory banks.

But it is still worth playing by far.

3. skurmedel says:

Weee! I bought the original Il-2 three times. A big question is, will this have UbiSCUM DRM? I never bought that WW1 flight sim because it had some wonderful always-online DRM thing going on.

4. Joshua says:

I hope they do take a look at Birds/Wings of Prey, as to not making it too hard for the newbies, while offering a lot of detail for the aces.

5. Wilson says:

Hooray! Interactive training. Could be very very good indeed.

6. _michal says:

One question. Does it have that cool, Ubisoft DRM?

7. Flakfizer says:

Ubisoft? No sale.

8. Corrupt_Tiki says:

Allmybasearebelongtothis

Also, Posting comments too quickly x2

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

Well this looks okay, but, I really really want a modern day Military Flight sim, I haven’t played one since Jane’s Combat USAF series, and I still remember demolishing OPFOR positions in my F117 Nighthawk with Bunkerbusters at night, man… This is an itch that needs to be scratched, as the only games I play atm, are ArmA 2, CSS, BFBC2 and maybe TF2 and MW2. All basically run & guns, with the exception of ArmA 2.

• richtysoe says:

@Corrupt_Tiki Check out the strike fighters 2 series from Thirdwire. Great collection of accessible, moddable jet flight sims – only thing lacking is multiplayer, really, and really “modern” stuff, (it’s based mostly around the 1950s-1970s) but it feels like a true successor to the Janes survey sims of the late 90s. it comes in 4 flavours (basic, vietnam, israel, and europe) with a spread of different aircraft across each edition, but you can merge them into an uber-edition (though that can be a bit costly).

I’m in the middle of a 1979 european campaign flying Harriers at the moment and loving it.

• Corrupt_Tiki says:

@Richtysoe

Hmm thanks for that! I will definately be checking that out, although it sounds like it might be a littlebit of an older game, no problem, just hopefully I can buy it somewhere, and hopefully my OS agrees with it. (XP at the moment, but soon to upgrade to Horrible Win 7-actually not as horrible as vista, but still from M$ so still pretty horrible)

Also I have to thank TimA for pointing out DCS’ range of flight sims; and will now be purchasing KA-58 Black Shark and A-10C from them, when I get a bigger HDD or two (Again in that upgrade to come soon! Hurry up money, get in mah bank!)

9. HermitUK says:

Haven’t played a flight sim since my IL2 disc went walkabout (I have the box. The box is empty). Looking forward to a reason to dust off the joystick again. Quite literally. It’s filthy at present.

• Quintin Smith says:

Hm. I guess I’ll be buying a joystick.

• skurmedel says:

Saitek X52 is pretty sweet.

• JB says:

I’ll certainly be keeping an eye on this, though I’ll need to buy a joystick as well if I go for it =\

• Will Tomas says:

If you’re not sure about getting into flight sims and don’t want to splash out on a joystick, you can use an xbox controller to see whether you like it. Yes, I know, it’s not the same, it’s not as responsive/immersive etc, but chances are you already own one and it does work fine. I won a copy of IL2 from GoG for writing a review they liked, and I’ve only played it with the xbox controller because while it’s fun and I’m very glad I’ve played it, I don’t love it enough to see it as worth spending the £30 a decent joystick would cost on.

• sinelnic says:

@Will Tomas,

It´s not as *precise* as a joystick, and that´s the most important feature of a good flight sim joystick. It´s very common to find yourself thinking you are completely ham-fisted, when in reality you can´t keep actual “level flight” because your joystick is pure crap.

• Tagert says:

Not as clumsy or as random as an xbox controller. An elegant interface device for a more civilised time.

10. GraveyardJimmy says:

Seems like a steep price to me (£34.99, £50 for collectors edition). Especially since Oleg has already confirmed there will be multiple expansions for the simulator (such as there were with Pacific Fighters).

Might have to wait for a sale- but with it exclusively at the ubisoft store, I’m guessing that wont be soon.

Would have been an instant buy at £24.99 and at £29.99 a possibility.

• Novotny says:

OM hinted at a steam release too. Frankly, at £100 it would be an instant buy for me – but then I like flight sims and have already got a good 9 years out of IL-2 and its various add-ons. If i get anything approaching that out of this, then it’s very cheap indeed.

• GraveyardJimmy says:

I like flight sims too, but after spending so much on IL2 (IL2, IL2 forgotten battles, aces expansion, pacific fighters, IL2 1946) I feel like the price point is a bit much, especially since the expansions will probably be expensive too. Maybe I’ll wait for a compilation and buy then, but for now it can wait.

• skinlo says:

So the price you think it should be is inverse to the amount of hours you play it. Interesting!

• GraveyardJimmy says:

Yeah, because that was exactly my point. IL2 1946 contained all previous expansions, yet cost less than the original forgotten battles. There was no option to get an upgrade version or anything like that.

Way to reward continued customers.

11. Unaco says:

Oh man! I was so excited, until I read “Ubisoft”. Oh well, it’s given me impetus to dig out MS Combat FS 3, and see how well it has aged.

• Novotny says:

Terribly. Everyone ditched it after a month or so and played IL-2 instead.

• westyfield says:

CFS 1 was obviously the best, obviously.

• Zenicetus says:

Over Flanders Fields is a triumph of historical interest over very dated-looking graphics and a not very good flight model. The underlying Combat Flight Simulator engine does support TrackIR though, which is cool.

Rise of Flight is a better WWI sim than Over Flanders Fields in all respects except for lacking a true campaign mode, and they’re about to release that in a new update. I hope once that campaign mode is out, RPS will take another look at it for an article. I find the ROF biplanes a lot more challenging to fly than the WW2 birds in IL2, where energy management is so much easier.

That said, I’m still looking forward to Cliffs of Dover, unless Ubi does something really stupid with the DRM.

12. TimA says:

Going to order the collectors edition right now, no-brainer for me. It scares me to think that I’ve now been playing flight sims for over 23 years, and we are currently at their peak in quality with titles such as this (it will be great) and DCS. Especially with game-changing hardware like Track IR (which I urge anyone who is in to flight sims to purchase, or go for the freetrack equivalent). Great times, I am excited.

• Novotny says:

I fear I’ll never get round to playing Black Shark now. I’ve reactivated it 3 times and have yet to fly a full mission.

• TimA says:

It is wonderful, in every way, and the missions and beautifully crafted.

DCS A-10C is even better. Plus it has the advantage of not having to learn how to fly a very tricky helicopter. I just can’t recommend them enough, for me A-10C is the greatest PC flight simulator ever made, says it all. Sometimes I’ll take off with no weapons and just enjoy the brilliant flight model. Undoubtedly I’ll be doing plenty of that in my Spitfires, Hurricanes and 109s.

Favourite WW2 planes, anyone?

I’ve probably spent most virtual flight time in a Bf109 G-2, awesome plane, but there are so many great aircraft on offer here. EEEEEEeeee I’m making myself all excited now.

• Novotny says:

F4 for me :)

• pepper says:

109 G/AS. Or the 109′s in early war battles. I also quite fancy the MIG-3 and the LAGG-3. Yes I know, both can be a pain in the ass but there great once you get to know there quircks. Same for the P-39, although you guys probably hate that one.

13. Novotny says:

In lieu of Quinns sticking up the trailer, you can find it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO35o8IRDz0&feature=player_embedded

14. Linfosoma says:

“# Interactive training – Comprehensive interactive training for new players – fly a real WWII trainer plane with a computer controlled instructor through a series of training missions. ”

NOW Im very interested, I always had a huge respect for flight sims but never had the patience to learn them. this will hopefully help me get into it.

15. Dinger says:

Is that a Macchi c.202 in desert camo at .41 seconds?
    I thought the Italians only sent the 200 (or was it the cr.42?) biplanes out that way, and most of them were lost on the first sortie when the pilots couldn’t find England and ran out of gas.

16. ru_disa says:

Ubisoft…… I’m almost afraid to ask….. any info on the DRM?

17. ShowMeTheMonkey says:

Awww man, I played the crap out of IL-2 on Hyperlobby… Very, very excited….

18. Sergey Galyonkin says:

If I’m not mistaken, lead designer for last IL-2 Games (including upcoming Battle for Britain – now called Cliffs of Dover) is actually Shevchenko, not Maddox.

19. skinlo says:

I hope this sells well. It if doesn’t, I image the developers will either go bust, or move into cross platform/console only games.

20. Dozer says:

Disappointed that Ubisoft are still the publishers. They caused such a huge amount of unnecessary trauma by putting the words ‘Grumman Avenger’ on the box of the Pacific Fighters game/update to Il-2. Northrop-Grumman promptly sued for copyright infringement as they own the name ‘Grumman’ (as well as the names of other WW2-era manufacturers they merged with since).

21. TimA says:

Just ordered the Collectors Edition, and it seems to have thrown in a download copy of Silent Hunter 3 for free. Good game, but I already have it. If anyone wants it, PM me on the forum or something and I’ll send you the link/serial.

edit: It’s gone.

22. Shagittarius says:

Too bad it’s Ubisoft, Unless they make an annoucement about the types of copy protection and DRM on this I won’t even consider it.

23. Ziv says:

Is it strange that I find the cockpit view sexy?

For a while I’ve been looking for an excuse to get a good joystick, any recommendation on something pretty high high end but not unbelievable pricey?

• Joshua says:

Thrustmaster T Flight Stick X is the one I have. It has everything you need (Rudder and throttle, pov hat, and plenty of buttons) no force feedback, and is pretty cheap.
      And you can adjust the stifness or resistance. It is not high end or anything, but it works everywhere.

• Zenicetus says:

If you can manage $100 USD, I’d recommend the CH Fighterstick. The build quality is a step above most of the lower-priced “gaming” joysticks. It has a very solid feel, and the programmable driver software is good. And then you’ll want the CH Pro Throttle quadrant, and the CH pedals. :)

Oh, and also Track IR for swinging your view around in the dogfights. It’s an expensive little hobby, this flight-sim thing.

• Ziv says:

Is the CH fighterstick enough to begin with? does it have twist rudder and a throttle lever of it’s own?

• TimA says:

Nah, you’d need separate rudder pedals and throttle with that. I’d say what Joshua suggested is a great choice for that price. I use a Saitek X-52 and it still works great after a few years, and has loads of useful buttons and rotaries.

• Zenicetus says:

The CH Fighterstick doesn’t have a twist rudder function, but it does have a small throttle wheel on the side of the base. You could set up one of the switches for rudder, or use the keyboard for rudder control, which works fine.

I’m not a fan of twist joysticks for rudder input. Among other things, rudders are used in combat sims for “walking” your gunfire across the target, or to make small corrections when dive bombing. It’s not easy to do small, precise movements like that on the same stick that you’re also moving around for roll and pitch control. Using the keyboard for rudder input works better, I think, and you can always get rudder pedals later on, if you want them (they work for car racing games too).

YMMV… I know some people do okay with the twist sticks, but the hardcore flight sim fans usually end up with separate controls. There’s a reason why real planes are still operated this way, even in the modern “fly by wire” age.

• Zenicetus says:

@Ziv: The CH Fighterstick doesn’t have a twist rudder function, but it does have a small roller wheel on the side that can be used for throttle. You could program one of the thumb switches for rudder, or just do what I did before getting pedals; use the keyboard rudder controls.

I’m not a fan of twist sticks for rudder input, but YMMV. Rudder control in combat sims can be used for things like “walking” your gunfire across the target, or making small corrections in the middle of a dive-bombing run. This requires very precise control on the rudder, and it’s not easy to do on the same stick you’re moving around for roll and pitch control at the same time. It’s even worse for helicopter sims, if the flight model is fully realistic. YMMV, but there’s a reason why the rudder is still a separate control setup on real planes, even in the modern era of fly-by-wire combat jets and airliners.

• Barman1942 says:

@Zenicetus

YMMV?

24. rocketman71 says:

Doesn’t look half bad, but after Wings of Prey I’m going to be very careful. I’m not willing to buy another 3 activation limit, no LAN, POS online servers game.

Yeah, I know this isn’t Gaijin. On the other hand, it’s Ubi, and until they drop UbiShitDRM completely, they’re not getting a single euro from me.

• Joshua says:

That activation limit is not really an limit, just an prevention to have it spread too quickly. If you run out of you can request new ones just by asking Yuplay.

• Ravenger says:

Why should we have to request permission to install and play a game we paid for? Drop the DRM and I might be interested.

25. H8Cr1me says:

WOW!!! This year just keeps getting better and better.

26. Gonefornow says:

I was quite upset that the trailer didn’t have the proper music choice.
    Now it has.

27. GCU Speak Softly says:

“The player will join the British Air Force to fight the German forces and renegade pilots on his own side.”

British Air Force? Renegade Pilots? Eh?

• Snuffy the Evil says:

Have you ever read Piece of Cake? It’s an excellent book about a British fighter squadron during WW2. It’s pretty funny, if you like black British humor.

One of their first confirmed kills is a Blenheim bomber. Dangerous things, those Blenheims.

28. jonfitt says:

I went to ubi.com because the link up there kept taking me to the German version of the Cliffs page and I was confronted with the promo video for The Michael Jackson Experience Wii game.

Now I know most of you probably don’t think of dancing when you think of receiving the Michael Jackson experience, but it is indeed a dancing game. The video is probably the funniest thing you will see today.

FYI when I play Wii, my friends and I are at least as attractive.
    I can’t find a direct link, but this should bring it up: http://ubi.com/US/default.aspx

29. lethu says:

OMG this is a gift, I love you Quintin, my joystick has been collecting dust for way too long, and my memories of epic moments such as flying upside down under a bridge with an IL2 are almost too far away.

30. Jimbo says:

I don’t think that title is historically accurate.

Also, this looks kind of difficult. I might just watch Battle of Britain and then have a nice lie down instead.

31. Oak says:

It’s funny (or is it?!?), just a few days ago I renewed my attempt to get a handle on flight sims. In Wings of Prey, a brief dalliance with Realistic Mode, aka Bank Left to Fly Screaming Into the Ground Mode, showed me how very much I still need to learn.

32. BobsLawnService says:

I hope they somehow manage to inject a bit of soul into this. That is what killed IL3 for me. It all felt a bit sterile. (And no, I can’t elaborate. It was just missing something.)

33. EBass says:

Was surprised this wasn’t in your article about most anticipated games of 2011, I’m not a massive flight sim buff but I played quite a bit of IL-2 and used to play a lot more, Flying Corps, Overlord, B17 etc etc.

Battle of Britain is pretty much the perfect theatre for any would be fighter jock, still don’t quite understand this statement though.

Renegade pilots?

• TeeJay says:

Yeah, I did wonder about that. I assumed that it was just to give people a chance to fight against spitfires etc in single player, but a previous commenter says they have in fact included a german campaign.

I’d have thought that “rogue pilots” would just mean they went awol after meeting a young lady during weekend leave in London. 15 seconds worth of bullets, limited fuel and being shot at by both sides seems like a surefire suicide bid.

Re. Italian pilots ‘getting lost’ – life as a POW in England wasn’t too bad – safe, well fed and many lived unguarded doing paid work on farms (my dad remembers some on the apple farm where he grew up in Suffolk).

…I might do a “rogue” bombing run across South London taking out all the eyesores, addresses of annoying landlords, the clamping firm, lambeth council’s housing office, job centres then do strafing runs across Shoreditch looking for white-tyre, fixed-wheel bike riders and traffic wardens (…ok I admit I will have to use my imagination + google maps).

34. Bassism says:

Oh my god yes.
    This will be an instant day one buy for me, drm be damned.

This is what pc gaming has been missing, in every respect.

35. Jason Moyer says:

Sim looks great, although I suppose I’ll keep waiting for the forever-rumored Korean War sim to come out using one of Oleg’s engines.

36. negativedge says:

Oh man, I’m all over this. Should be something special.

Dear Ubisoft,

Are we going to have to buy the Brit special edition?

-America

37. phenom_x8 says:

About RPS cadet club, I am absolutely agree with it! Just sign me in, he.. he ..!

38. F33bs says:

I can just hear those Merlin’s now.

39. Samuelson says:

” … exclusively at Ubishop in the UK.”

Sigh, no 150 – page manuals for the REST OF THE WORLD. :(

40. agent47 says:

Can you buy it from anywhere other than Ubi-Shop?

I’m in Australia, so they decided to charge $90 for every single game on their store…

41. harvb says:

You know what I’d love to see come with this? A version of Fighter Ace. That was amazing. Essentially co-op everyone as Brits fighting waves of AI Germans over the channel. I’d buy it on the strength of that alone.

42. Stag says:

Oh my goodness!
    I think this will make me buy a Track IR device!

43. Barman1942 says:

Interestingly enough, the Battle of Britain theme music lines up perfectly with the Cliffs of Dover trailer.

44. MrBRAD! says:

I watched a youtube video of this a few weeks ago, no shit.
    I am confus. Can somebody explain?

Wotz dis? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z469HXN0hlQ&hd=1

45. MrBRAD! says:

Oh look, a tech video of it from mid-2007. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny59blbRplA

How does the entire gaming media call the current goings-on an “announcement”? An announcement of what? We already knew it was in-production.

46. mspicko says: