LBP2 Testers Recognise Superiority Of PC

By John Walker on January 18th, 2011 at 11:16 pm.

Who leaves it on the blue/green setting?

As we know, all console owners secretly wish their machines were PCs. They don’t like to admit it, hiding behind lies like, “It’s great to have a machine where I don’t need to worry about updating drivers,” or, “But I want to play games on my comfortable couch.” But deep down, secretly, they desperately wish they had to worry about replacing heatsinks and virus blockers. This is only too easily proven by the video below, in which a group of PS3 users on the Little Big Planet 2 beta have painstakingly recreated Windows XP within the game.

It really is quite something. There’s rather a lot of detail here. Right down to error messages and a BSOD.

While LBP2 is being used by many to build their own shareable videogames, but this lot went a little further. It contains games. It’s an operating system. The operating system of the one true gaming platform.

They want to be us.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. pupsikaso says:

What the hell is that Celex game? I’ve never seen that before o.O

2. yhancik says:

But will it run Crysis ?

(also : “no keyboard fund” ?)

(also : removing Blue Luna was one of the first thing I used to do when I installed Windows XP) (now I use nLite :p)

3. Andy_Panthro says:

That’s very impressive.

Seems like LPB2 is a big improvement on the original then.

I’d think about getting one, but why bother when you can mess around with the real thing eh?

4. HexagonalBolts says:

How does LPB / LPB2… work? You make programs in it…?

• Mike says:

LBP was a platformer, but you could design your own levels with this really beautiful and quite flexible editor. LBP2 expands it to make new genres, and some lite-programming that lets you customise more stuff. Looks really impressive.

• Acosta says:

Not really, it´s an editor with lots of pieces you can manipulate and combine, there is not actual programming, but it can be deep. In the original you could see people reproducing mechanical calculators using the physic engine, and this one introduces circuitry and goes much, much further with the editor, we’ll see some crazy stuff.

Too bad it´s PS3 exclusive, RPS Hive Mind would have a ton of material to talk with it, kinda like Minecraft.

• Mike says:

Given this is a console game, I’d call the number of variables involved a form of programming. It’s remarkably complex in the sequel.

• Dominic White says:

‘Remarkably complex’ is an understatement. Someone made a fully functioning raycaster engine in-game, and used it to produce a properly playable Wolfenstein clone, complete with sprite-ripped nazis to shoot.

5. Acosta says:

Two PS3 related news today… do you want to put a CliffyB on us guys? Will you leave us behind to get all those delicious Kotaku hits? It´s ok, you can tell us, we can take it.

6. Brumisator says:

I want to play blobby volley now

Also, I’m a huge dork for recognising that song they used for celex.

7. phenom_x8 says:

Yeah thats right!
    It happened to me when I was fifteen years old (around 2000), still wishing that my parents will buy me a PC while playing front mission 3 web browser on my playstation and pretend that I can trully use its email service, trying random email address and lurking through every website its contains! haha what a memory.
    I’ m absolutely sure that every console only owner,deep inside their hearts, wishing that it comes true!

8. en_zedd says:

Sadly I discovered I have no creative talent what-so-ever in LBP. That said, I did have a lot of fun playing through the homage levels created by others. Dead Space and the 1001 Star Wars reenactments are remembered fondly.

9. amandachen says:

I installed Linux once, and it looked like that.

• Wulf says:

You were doing it very, very wrongly then. How did you manage that?

You must have a belt of Computer Mangling +3,000. You should have your license revoked!

10. Ic4ruz says:

Its actually true that Console gamers just really want the PC experience. Parts of steam are going to be on PS3 and everybody in that camp goes crazy.

• vanarbulax says:

Speaking as an unashamedly happy ps3 owner, that’s because Sony’s online systems (trophies, chat etc.) are pretty terrible on the ps3. Trust me, that’s the only part console gamers really want, most people don’t want to wade through settings and drivers and upgrades etc. Though anyone not supplementing pc with console (or the other way round depending on your view) is missing out.

Beats being the poor nickel and dimed suckers with 360s though.

11. Zwebbie says:

Now we just need someone to make Little Big Planet 2 in Minecraft to show that the PC’s games are, in fact, more versatile than the PS3′s.

12. crainey92 says:

Kinda reminds me of the 8-bit computer built inside Minecraft and the associated RPS article http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/11/17/get-the-minecraft-cpu-map/, good stuff. Unfortunately I was unable to find the orignal article I was refering too however the linked one should suffice.

• Tatourmi says:

You should definitely see what was made in g-mod then. We had screens, and keyboards, and CPUs, and v259 engines, and intern Internet connexion without steam being involved (with a whole Indy browser inside), ingame wiring that allowed us to code stuff if we wanted to, including robot behavior and radars, and whatnot! (truly whatnot, even gamemods where one put a carnivorous plant and had to feed it by luring monsters of different sizes, including zombies, to go near, yup, we had that) And yet no one cared about us… We were sad, sad people.

13. Moonracer says:

hopefully the in game search for user content will make it easier to find the gems like this. I saw a lot of great user levels for the first game on youtube but nothing close in quality would show up in game.

It may not be PC but it’s nice to give praise to the very rare gems that the console world gets. Especially when creations like that give praise back.

• Dominic White says:

The trick with LBP1 was following a daisy-chain of quality. Find one good level, check out others by that creator, then see what levels and creators THAT creator liked. You’ll usually find better and better stuff that way.

LBP2 makes finding stuff so much easier though, thanks to a website – LBP.me – every level is assigned a little page of its own, and you can just link people to cool stuff now. With one button, you can also add levels from the site to you ‘to play’ queue in-game.

14. Farewell says:

The music at least was taken from a extremely famous indie game called Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.

15. Dominic White says:

Oh yeah, coolest thing about the LBP2 marketing – the developers loved the stuff people made in the beta so much that the last three trailers have been made entirely out of clips of user-made levels from the beta.

They’re so proud of their community that they’re using them as the main selling point. That’s awesome. My copy should arrive in a few days now, and I’m totally buzzed.

16. Oozo says:

So it is kind of like Game Maker, but made out of cloth?

• Dominic White says:

In a way. It’s all physics-driven too, so it’s super-intuitive. Make something out of glass and it’ll be heavy and slippery, but make it out of carpet and it’ll be grippy and light.

It gives everything a very home-made, arts-and-crafts feel. The downside (I suppose) is that everything made in LBP feels like it’s made in LBP. The key advantage is that even crappy levels/games made by kids still feel charming and likeable.

Edit: So yeah, like Game Maker, but made out of cloth. And with Stephen Fry doing all the tutorial stuff.

17. ANeM says:

“But deep down, secretly, they desperately wish they had to worry about replacing heatsinks”

Really? Last I checked the 360 had a long run of hardware problems (Due in part to overheating) and Sony has yet to release a Playstation that does not suffer from overheating in the early models.

Though I guess with a definite lack of replacement heatsinks being manufactured it was mostly just worrying that their system would melt catastrophically..

From there you might look up upon the SUPERIOR PC MASTER-RACE and idolize our ability to replace shitty cooling solutions
    (Beyond simply wrapping the system in an even shittier cooling solution that works against the original cooling or may also catch fire.)

18. Stephen Roberts says:

If I had a job I would have bought a PS3 purely for this title. As it is, I think I can wait until I have money. And then probably just borrow my friends PS3.

Good to be cheap!

Also, community lead development is amazing but not everyone is a game designer. Indeed, most people aren’t. So dilution of quality content is an issue. Mind you, Dominic’s already explain how to find the best stuff in LBP1 and that was hard to browse.

Also The best fun I’ve had in Little Big Planet was when you did lounge co-op. It’s just hilarious with people in the room. The only reson I’m giving this a one is beacuase Stephen Fry is pretty good!

But that’s it!

19. Initialised says:

My son has LBP2 on pre-order, can’t wait.

Comment on this story