Son Of A Gun: Cannon Fodder 3 Announced

By Quintin Smith on January 18th, 2011 at 11:51 am.

Looking forward to today's 3D efforts looking this naff.

EDIT: Ah. Allow me to bring you back down to Earth with a bump. Codemasters has told Eurogamer that despite GFI’s plans to release the game for both PC and Xbox 360, they do not have plans to release the games outside of Russia and the CIS territitories. Here’s a picture of the CIS territories. Do you live there? Didn’t think so. Perhaps if GFI knock the game out of the park, Codemasters will look at bringing the game to the rest of the globe. The original news story follows.

News! News! Here is the news. Russian developer/publisher GFI, who had a hand in the creation of The Precursors, Boiling Point, White Gold (the sequel to Boiling Point) and about a thousand pieces of shovelware nonsense has announced the development of another sequel to classic 90s PC game Cannon Fodder, in collaboration with Codemasters. Would you like to see the image and press release? Alright, soldier, you’ll find it all below. Double-time it!

Mm. I didn’t say it was a particularly interesting image, I’m afraid. The press release is a little more forthcoming:

GFI announce development of the sequel to a well-known tactical action – Cannon Fodder 3

Several military groups of Europe, Asia and Africa have made a military alliance to establish dictatorship by joint efforts. Your goal is to stop them at any cost… Even with a price of thousands lives of soldiers named “cannon fodder”, who are ready to die everywhere and every time it’s needed. ‘Cause it’s their work.

You have a small army which consists of only “cannon fodder” soldiers, who are ready to rush into fight with the enemy, sparing neither effort nor oneself. The player will have to pass several episodes full of cartoon violence among different locations, and the Earth is not the limit – it’s time to go into open space and show the enemy “who’s daddy”.

You’ll get classic isometric environment in full 3D, weather effects, change of time, destructible environment, physical water – all this and a lot more you’ll find in Cannon Fodder 3.

Cannon Fodder 3 is currently under development for PC and Xbox 360 platforms under Codemasters’ license.

About GFI

GFI, founded in 2003 by a group of experienced game industry professionals, is a leading Russian publisher of interactive software and multimedia products.
Our mission is to provide our partners with a full spectrum of professional publishing services including localization, marketing, online and retail distribution solutions for the Russian, CIS and Baltic territories.
Our goal is to maximize your opportunities by leveraging our experience, retail relationships and market knowledge to give your products the competitive advantage in our territories.

More info about GFI can be found at http://www.gfi.su

About Codemasters

Codemasters is a leading developer and publisher of best-selling interactive entertainment products for a global audience across multiple gaming platforms and channels. Established in 1986, the company’s dominant brands include Colin McRae DiRT, Race Driver GRID, Overlord and Operation Flashpoint; the company recently secured the exclusive worldwide video game rights to FORMULA 1. Codemasters is headquartered in Warwickshire UK, with North American operations based in Universal City, California. The company also maintains operations in Japan, Germany, France, Spain, Benelux and Malaysia.

More info about Codemasters can be found at http://www.codemasters.com

I for one look forward to going into outer space in order to show the enemy “Who’s daddy”. Wait, hang on. Space? In a Cannon Fodder game? Does that bode well?

EDIT: Comrade Meer informs me that Cannon Fodder 2 was partly set in outer space. Did I mention I am a tiny baby? I am. I’m not even on solid food yet, and Cannon Fodder was a little before my time.

, , .

1. Spacewalk says:

I don’t know what to think.

• BAReFOOt says:

What I don’t get is this “bringing it to the rest of the world” rhetoric.
      They are releasing it to the area that makes just about all the cracks of software and systems in the world. How long do they think it will stay in that area, before someone puts it up on the net, and someone uploads a English translation to gamecopyworld.com?
      I bet the team who does the first 0-day release of it will be laughed at and called slow, because betas will have been released before the game is even finished!

Man, those media mafia delusions sure make people live in a crazy fantasy world…
      …not available in your country… LOL!

2. BrendanJB says:

OH.
    YOUR.
    GOD.

It’s isometric, with weather effects, destructible terrain and ridiculous cartoon violence. Space!? Bring it the fuck on.

War has never been so much fun – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cch0wrwg4tg

• Giant, fussy whingebag says:

I prefer this one. Skip to 3:20 if you just want the music.

Sadly, I think this will be terrible. Cannon fodder was fun in its time, but I can’t see it making a whole game now. Would be a fun mobile game, though.

Well, I’ll reserve judgement, but I am far from optimistic about it…

• otzenGulasch says:

I am totally overgeek’d.
      …and not in a good way!

3. plugmonkey says:

This seems to have overwhelmingly high suck potential.

4. Memph says:

By Jools!
    Could it possibly hold a candle to Sensi’s rose-tinted originals? Probably not, but at least it’s not a ‘reboot’ eh?

5. 3lbFlax says:

I’m going to go ahead and predict twin-stick shooter controls on the 360.

6. Jaffo says:

“Space? In a Cannon Fodder game?”

I thought CF2 had space levels or was it alien invasion levels? Either way, good news.

7. Premium User Badge Diziet Sma says:

I suspect by ‘open space’ they mean outside/open spaceS rather than outer space. The wonders of translation…

why oh why on every first comment I post does it say “I am posting comments to fast”. It’s my first comment, normally of the entire day. Is it a subtle hint?

• Premium User Badge Biscuitry says:

No, I think it really does mean outer space. Note the preceding phrase: “the Earth is not the limit”.

8. DrunkDog says:

* Hears the sound of a dead horse being flogged *. Bung it on mobile then we’ll talk.

9. Premium User Badge James G says:

What, no Amiga release? Way to betray your roots. Fuck you Codemasters!!11!One1ELEVEN!!

10. Premium User Badge James G says:

Great, my timely little joke has fallen into the timewarp bug, and will appear just above this in about 48 hours time. By that point everyone will have made it. For the record, it was:

What, no Amiga? Way to betray your roots, FUCK YOU CODEMASTERS !!!11!!One!1ELEVEN!!

11. Jonathan says:

HMM!

I did mention in the “games you want that don’t exist” forum thread that what I wanted was Cannon Fodder HD. While I doubt this will be able to hold a candle to the original (I seriously just want the original with higher resolution visuals), I’ll be interested to see what this turns out to be.

12. TomA says:

If this captures the spirit of the first one (which I doubt but hope it will) this is the best news I’ve had all month

13. Optimaximal says:

It’s hard to believe that Codemasters wouldn’t proof read the press release before allowing GFI to put it on the interwebs…

…but god-damn it, they didn’t!

14. DeanLearner says:

I do hope it has vehicles. I loved the vehicles in cannon fodder 2…. *shudders*

15. Acosta says:

At least is a good excuse to post this:

Richard, we still miss you…

16. stark says:

Not sure what to think about this GFI outfit – I don’t know if you can trust any company who’s description in a press release reads like that.

• Giant, fussy whingebag says:

Yeah. Pick out the buzzwords: “…experienced …professionals…leading…multimedia…
      …mission …full spectrum …
      …maximize….opportunities …leveraging …experience …market knowledge… competitive advantage”

It’s the ‘leveraging’ that gets me. Chrome’s spell check doesn’t even recognize it as a word!

17. sonofsanta says:

Just… it won’t be right. Even if they include a Cannon Soccer level.

18. Premium User Badge Gnarl says:

Required reading for foetus’.

They were purple, you see.

19. Premium User Badge oceanclub says:

Gosh, even their press releases are buggy. Perhaps they can release a patch.

P.

• Tom OBedlam says:

excellent

• President Weasel says:

for a company that offers “a full spectrum of professional publishing services including localization” their press release is quite poorly localised.

• Navagon says:

LOL Codemasters. Patch. Good one.

20. plugmonkey says:

White Gold?

It’s just occurred to me that a sequel to Boiling Point could be interesting (the original having a great concept, but being virtually inpenetrable) but Google can find no trace of a video game called White Gold having ever existed.

Edit: Found it. Xenus II.

21. Teddy Leach says:

OH GOD YES.

EDIT: OH GOD DAMN IT.

22. Lewis Denby says:

Only releasing in Russia, apparently. Codemasters say they’ve never planned an EU release. And Jon Hare just told BeefJack that this is the first he’s heard of the game.

23. Rich says:

That’s the end of that then.

24. Plankton says:

Russia needs to start a war with the EU, invade, and make us all part of CIS so we can play Cannon Fodder … yeaaaaaaaaah

• ZIGS says:

That and a lot of other gems we are missing. Goddamn Russians, keeping all the good stuff for themselves!

25. Premium User Badge Daiv says:

I seem to recall the space levels in CF2 were… Purple.

Oh, and I still have difficulty holding on to the concept that the original CF once held the dubious distinction of being the main target of WON’T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN??!!?!

26. dan. says:

Meh, seeing as Codemasters managed to completely fuck up Sensible Soccer 2006, I doubt this will end up being any good. I fully expect Eurogamer to give it 9/10 though.

27. BooleanBob says:

Super Smashing Namtastic!

Also, Quinns is older than I am. I have fond memories of both See Effs. Ergo, how can it be before his time??

28. edwardoka says:

I want physical water in more games.
    I grow weary of the virtual crap they keep peddling.

29. Premium User Badge Saul says:

Why in the hells would they release an English-Language press release, unless they are planning to release it in the West?