StarCraft II+Modders+Techno = StarCraft MMO

By Alec Meer on January 18th, 2011 at 1:25 pm.

This mod serves two purposes.
1) It makes StarCraft II into an MMO, which quite naturally is to be known as World of StarCraft.
2) If it gets taken down really, really quickly that means we’ve got proof Blizzard is working on their own StarCraft MMO after all! Probably. Maybe. Probably not.

They’re probably not, or at least there’s been no evidence to suggest it – all we know about MMO 2 is that it’s probably a new concept and that it might be called Titan.

So, presuming we’re not due World of StarCraft anytime soon, a group of modders have gotten together on an SC2 forum and started proof-of-concepting their own MMO, created with the game’s famously flexible Galaxy Editor.

Obviously it’s a long, long, long way from release, and I’m not entirely convinced something of full MMO scale can be made without oodles of cash, but they’re certainly on top of the combat. They’ve even got the fighting and the xp-earning semi-rigged up for the Ghost class already. How so? Like so:

TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO TECHNO.

Other than techno, here’s what the Ghost, a DPS/close combat class, has going for her and the current status of it all:

Slot 1: Auto-Attack: Ghost Rifle
Slot 2: Vital Shot (Snipe ) – Aim at a vital point on enemy target placing a debuff that cause bonus damage to following attacks for a short time. Builds Combo Points. Cool-down length of debuff. 7 second CD.
Slot 3: Ambush (Assassinate) – Used from Stealth, Instantly exits Stealth dealing bonus damage. If target is under 10% Health, attack deals severe damage. 15 second CD.
Slot 4: Smoke Bomb (Incomplete)
Slot 5: High Powered Round (Incomplete)
Slot 6: Gut Shot (Incomplete)
Slot 7: Head Shot (Incomplete)
Slot 8: Ammo Master Toggle (Incomplete)
Slot 9: Dominate: Toggle Ability. Takes control of target unit and can be commanded as a pet. Rapidly drains energy while toggled on. 40 second CD.
Slot 10: EMP. Fires electromagnetic projectile at target enemy dealing AOE energy damage and depleting shields. 20 second CD.
Slot 11: Cloak. Enters stealth mode undetected by normal enemy units, decreases movement speed by 33%. 25 second CD. Rapidly drains energy while on.
Slot 12: Spec Ops Bomb (Nuke) – Aim at a point for a short amount of time to call a Spec Ops Bomber to bomb the area. 60 second CD

More generally, here’s a mocked-up character selection screen – very much in the vein of WoW’s, and gives a few good looks at the other classes:

The modders are looking for both hands-on help and a spot of brainstorming, so head to their forum for more info and to offer your hands and/or mind.

, , , , .

1. ArthurBarnhouse says:

How do you do a community MMO? Who would host the world, or the instances?

• DeanLearner says:

MMO by email, silly!

• MadTinkerer says:

The same way Minecraft does it.

• Ashrik says:

The cRPG mod for Mount & Blade could be considered a community MMO. How they do it appears to be: A central database is hosted on some kind of webserver that stores your characters and progression/stats/equipment/etc, and all the other game servers access it when you log on to play.

I don’t know what Minecraft does but I was under the impression that Minecraft didn’t operate on any MMO principals.

2. HexagonalBolts says:

haha I’m sure it’s not meant to be full MMO scale, probably just a fun playable map

3. Acosta says:

Where I can buy the OST?

It actually looks really good for that state, I wonder how far they can reach with it.

4. killmachine says:

the last few games from blizzard where there old trademarks diablo, starcraft and warcraft.

diablo3 is beeing developed, starcraft2 runs fine i guess and world of warcraft will be played for all eternity.

so, guess what their next mmo will be? a new trademark? hah! i guess not.

i personally dont think there will be a diablo mmo since there are no races like orcs, elves or protoss or the likes. im pretty certain project titan will either be in the warcraft universe with newer tech or it will be their starcraft mmo.

edit: after watching the tech video im more certain we will see a starcraft mmo from blizzard in the next couple of years.

• Xocrates says:

They’ve stated quite clearly that their new MMO will be a new IP.

I have no reason to doubt them at this point.

• DarkeSword says:

I hope their new IP starts with an A. That way they’ll have W, A, S, and D.

• killmachine says:

well. thanks for the troll.

i must have missed the point where they clearly stated that their project called titan will be a new brand.

can you show me a quote where they tell more than “it is our next gen mmo but media shouldnt even know this”?

thank you sir.

• Xocrates says:

@killmachine: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/05/13/next-blizzard-mmo-from-scratch/

The new IP thing is known since 2009

• Wulf says:

The OP here was uninformed, sure, but we’re now calling troll at anyone who happens to lack information? It’s like that time I was called a troll – and as I said then, a troll is nothing more than an interesting structure slapped together in the mind of the reader. A troll is simply someone who says something that you don’t like, on an entirely subjective level.

This essentially means that every critic ever is a troll, since they tend to invariably say things that someone won’t like. And given this understanding of troll, I leveraged the word at Quinns at one point, I think that’s a joke that still no one gets.

But if you look at this here comments thread, the colloquial use of troll is obvious. It genuinely amounts to someone saying something you don’t like on a subjective level.

That’s it, right there. The requirements for being a troll.

That also means we’ve all probably ‘trolled’ someone at one point or other, whether it was an eloquent bout of trolling, angry trolling, or such… but whenever we spoke our mind about something we were passionate about, that someone might have disagreed with, we were trolling. Free thinking is essentially trolling. Having an opinion is essentially trolling.

Hopefully now I’ve deconstructed and laid bare the ludicrous notion that is the ‘troll’. :p

I really wish people would stop using it in a serious way, it’s ridiculous. And not in the funny sort of way that I can appreciate, either.

HermitUK says:

Indeed, it’s a brand new IP. http://www.blizzardnewmmo.com/ has collected most of the dev quotes, rumours, and leaks thus far.

• killmachine says:

that surprises me. i thought i would know everything about that new titan thingi. seems not.

thanks for the link. and thanks for the definitition of troll. i almost thought people from the blizzard forums come over here to start flaming out of nowhere. gah.

stahlwerk says:

That’s some serious eurotrash unh-tz unh-tz there. Made me check if the developers are actually german, to which I found no clue. Also, I hope that a certain tag in this post will reappear some day.

• Casimir's Blake says:

Oh christ, are people really this music-deaf?

Much as I loathe euro-trance and hardcore and the like, this is neither and nor is it TECHNO (grrr). Resistance D would agree, this is trance. And it’s not entirely shit, for a change.

6. Daniel Klein says:

Shame they didn’t call it “Galaxy of Starcraft Unlimited”, for better acronymity.

7. rocketman71 says:

What?. Isn’t StarCraft 2 [cuddled] enough already?. Why would someone add MMO shit to that poor crippled carcass of a game?.

• Xocrates says:

Starcraft 2 is a poor crippled carcass of a game?

Man, I wish more games were that bad then.

Diziet Sma says:

I for one then will welcome the announcement of blizzards next crippled game. No doubt the world will prostrate themselves before blizzard should they announceme something worthy of your AAA moniker.

• benemmanuel says:

Yeah, good god. It’s so awful when people create free & O P T I O N A L stuff for a game. How dare they?!

• Wulf says:

Yep. How dare someone emulate an atrocious mess of a game in another entirely boring game. Gasp! This person has an opinion that disagrees with our own. They must be a troll! D:

Caustic? Yes. A bit. Entirely called for? Probably. I think so, anyway.

• Mman says:

“They must be a troll!”

Yes? When someone makes a completely unsubstantiated statement that goes against the general opinion (note “unsubstantiated statement” is the important part here, not going against popular opinion in itself). That’s pretty much the definition of trolling as its meaning has become.

• Thants says:

Calling Starcraft 2 a “poor crippled carcass of a game” is beyond opinion and into straight-out trolling.

8. Namos says:

An MMO class with a jetpack! Sold!

This video says a lot about the age of World of Warcraft’s engine…
    Also, the idea of having units appearing out of a structure instead of out of thin air boggles me.

• Wulf says:

The goblins in Cataclysm now have jetpacks, I’m told.

And this is how the ‘hook’ I talked about in another thread works. Yay for social engineering, which Blizzard are so much better at than actually making games, in my opinion. Put enough things that people like into a game, and they may not actually notice it’s bad for a while.

This actually works.

• bleeters says:

So a game packed with things people enjoy, things people like, is not only a bad game, but sinisterly designed as such to delude hapless fools into thinking they’re having a good time.

Oh good grief yes, that sounds far more likely than folk just legitimately enjoying something you don’t.

• The Hammer says:

I’m sure you’re an ex-WOW addict, Wulf.

9. TomSmizzle says:

I do love the sense of scale you get when the Ghost is fighting the Immortal. I’d love to see how crazy it gets when you’re up against a Collosus or an Ultralisk. It’s definitely a pretty neat idea, I’d love to see them go the whole way with it.

And if it lets me play as a Roach then I’m in.

10. Wulf says:

Meh, not impressed.

If they were going to create a Guild Wars-style experience in that editor, then I’d be very interested. But I just don’t think that the vaunted editor is actually up to it. But if it is I’d be interested, and that’d be reason enough for me to pick up that ‘game’, so I could get my hands on the editor and play around with it.

Don’t worry, Blizzard fans, this isn’t the first time I’ve felt like this. I essentially picked up Neverwinter Nights for the engine and modding tools. NWN1 had a very questionable and awful (in my opinion) campaign that I don’t think anyone really wanted to play. It seemed to be the public opinion at the time that the campaign was fairly shite, but many of the mods were really very good.

I tend to think of SC II as NWN1-like, and that I may eventually cave and get it for the mods.

11. haircute says:

Enough with the rockism, Mr. Meer. Please.

12. ScubaMonster says:

So how do you make a MMO when you have to run it through battle.net and the max number of connections to a single game is 8? Unless they are hacking it to run privately, in which case they will probably find themselves in legal hot water.

13. Merelia says:

Vids got taken down.
    I wonder why, Curse you activision!