Eww! Dead Space Multiplayer Trailer Is Gross

By John Walker on January 20th, 2011 at 10:25 am.

Oh dear, I couldn't tell the difference between the Dead Space 2 shot and the RF Armageddon shot. GAMES!

Where does a Necromorph keeps its eyes? According to the latest Dead Space 2 multiplayer trailer, about four feet behind its head. See, what I’m doing here is mocking the title, “Through the eyes of a necromorph” in a game viewed from a third-person perspective. Everyone involved now feels incredibly silly, and will probably quit their jobs, lose their families, and become destitute. That’s the power I wield. Games industry: think more carefully before you title your videos.

Necromorphs come in a variety of shapes and sizes. You’ve got the baby Pack, the snipery, wall-walking Lurker, of course the Puker, and the lady Spitter. What they all have in common is that they’re incredibly gross. We’re not normally ones for age checking, but the below is pretty brutal if you’ve got a child living in your neighbourhood.

Whatever has gaming come to these days? I remember the good old days when it was all lovely, like Phantasmagoria and Manhunt.

, , .

1. ChaK_ says:

I don’t know…

DS is a single player game for me. And a scary one that is.

I mean playing weird things in multiplayer just remove all the scare factor, remains a 3rd person MP match in a dark atmosphere.

Except Xbox player indeed, horror coming from what they can hear on live.

• opel says:

It doesn’t really make sense in this context either. Isaac was an engineer that used his equipment as makeshift weapons and tools of survival. Who keeps sending in these engineers for these multiplayer battles to exist? I guess once they run out of engineers they’ll have to send in kittens and little girls.

• Heliocentric says:

Hidden: Source was scary and multiplayer, I don’t think this will be though.

2. abhishek says:

Looks a lot like Left 4 Dead to me.

tomeoftom says:

OUTBREAK MODE. Hrm.

• outoffeelinsobad says:

That’s a great name for it because there’s never been another survival horror game to use it. Never ever ever.

4. Baka says:

Shirley I’m not the only one who’s noticed that.

Also, one has to wonder why they are promoting the MP part of it that much, no one I know of is looking forward to DS2 because of L4D-lite-MP.
    Maybe it’s about pirated copies not being able to play that.

5. Dominic White says:

Word is that Edge (you know, those guys who apparently don’t like anything) gave DS2 a 9/10. They gave the original a mere 8/10, so chances are that we’re looking at a real gem of a game here, even if the multiplayer doesn’t look amazingly thrilling.

• Rich says:

I’m registering a signal on my sarcasm detector, but it’s pretty faint. Anyone able to verify?

• Foxfoxfox says:

No i’m getting standard RPS hivemind background Sarc-on readings, this is genuine editorial.

• Dominic White says:

I’m being a bit sarcastic about the ‘Edge hates everything’ thing (it seems a prevalent meme these days), but the fact that they loved it, think it’s a solid improvement over the original, and this indicates that this’ll be a great game? That’s all honest.

Arathain says:

Rich, this is a perfect opportunity to calibrate our Sarc-o-meters for RPS background, as Fox has clearly done.

• Hematite says:

Oh, a sarcasm detector. That’ll be really useful.

6. Ravenger says:

I really want to get this but I can’t commit to buying a PC version without either a demo or some solid user reviews. The original had some serious issues both with DRM and poorly optimised PC controls, and I really need to know if they’ve addressed those in the new game.

7. markside says:

I think I’m going to be sick. Yuck.

heretic says:

L4D rip off!

the spitter? come on, surely they could have come up with a different name… I dunno, the ejaculatorix?

• Navagon says:

I dunno, man. The ejaculatorix sounds like it would take this in an altogether more Giger-esque direction. And I’m not talking about his Alien.

heretic says:

lol :D

• outoffeelinsobad says:

Dead Space? Ripping off other games? If I had pearls, I would clutch them.

• outoffeelinsobad says:

Seriously though. You could find more originality in a Dragonball Z fanfic.

9. Navagon says:

Looks like the reasons for not touching the multiplayer before you’ve completed the singe player are twofold here. The second reason being that playing a bit of MP first is going to ruin the experience of the SP. No way are those mutants going to be scary after you’ve seen a foul mouthed 8 year old bunny hoping around as one.

Oh and they’re not seriously going to include those prompts again, are they? “Press X to attack” is so fucking redundant that even the aforementioned 8 year olds aren’t going to need it. Hopefully you can turn it off.

10. bildo says:

Resident Evil: 5 – space

mcnostril says:

Way to not mention the interesting bits, video.

I want to know what happens if you get dismembered in MP.
    Do I get to keep on wailing on people if my head is missing? Can I headbutt them if I have no arms? Is there awesome no-legs crawly action? THESE THINGS ARE RELEVANT TO MY INTERESTS.

12. DXN says:

“The Pack is the creepy baby of the bunch.”

Who’s the creepy baby of RPS?

13. thesundaybest says:

“….definitely can inflict damage on the humans…”

Someone needs to write better copy, and then have someone not in a coma read it.

14. Isometric says:

This doesn’t bother me one bit. All the years of playing games has finally desensitised me.

15. Miker says:

The page is up on Steam. Apparently uses 3rd-party DRM on top of Steam, something called SolidShield. Up to five activations at once, with a link to EA’s site for a revoke tool. Sounds like a hoot.

16. DoucheMullet says:

I just saw the price on Steam. Sixty dollars.

Yeah, no thanks. Fuck you, EA.

• Crash says:

Most new games are 60bucks when they first come out >.>

• Matt says:

Not on PC. Not until Actiblizzard started doing it with COD-whatever, anyway…

17. Scandalon says:

Yea, I am far and away not the desensitized, soulless husk of a man that is the stereotype, but that didn’t look yucky at all, just… dark and confusing for a multiplayer game. And generic “mutated baddies” that could have been rejects from Doom 3 or something.

18. Ravenger says:

Solidshield DRM, 5 activations – apparently even on Steam. NO SALE EA.

• Dominic White says:

Does it still use the EA standard license-revoke system? With a bunch of games, you get activations back on uninstallation.

• Ravenger says:

The other EA games used Securom, this is different. Normally Tages (who make solidshield) don’t allow revokes, but the EULA states that you can manage the activations online. It’s still an overkill though – three layers of DRM, Steam, Solidshield and an EA account lock.

• KillahMate says:

“Three layers of DRM, Steam, Solidshield and an EA account lock.”

And yet I predict there will be a copy on Pirate Bay on release day, or very close to it.

People are stupid. Publisher people especially so. Also I’m never buying this.

19. Dominic White says:

Just heard something interesting from one of the DS2 devs who posts on the Something Awful forums. Apparently it’s a big game. ’2 to 2.5x larger than the first’, he says, and guessed that it’d take most people at least 14 hours to get through first time. Speedrunnable in maybe 10.

If that’s even halfway true, that puts the ‘Multiplayer is going to draw resources away from singleplayer’ fears to rest.

• Matt says:

So what does that mean for my slow ass, who took almost 18 hours to complete the first game?

20. Crash says:

Why do people whine about the multiplayer being bad or something. If you dont like it then dont play it, simple.