Here’s A Preview Build Of Sarah’s Run

By Jim Rossignol on January 20th, 2011 at 6:27 pm.

Indie development type Sophie Houlden, who told us all to make games at the last World Of Love, has been following her advice and making a game of her own. It’s a Unity-based 3D puzzler, a physics-bending type affair, called Sarah’s Run. She’s posted a multi-level preview of it here. Go play. Provide feedback. That sort of thing. It’s also worth checking our Houlden’s other work over on her site.

, .

1. PleasingFungus says:

It looks like she hasn’t been working on the game for a while – the last post showing progress was in July 13th, and then there’s a post in December noting that the game’s on hiatus. I’d guess this is actually a pretty old build, put up on Kongregate now that they’ve added Unity support? (There are links to previous previews on the devblog, if you wander around.)

That’s mostly historical trivia, I guess. Still cool.

2. Daniel Klein says:

Do play her Linear RPG for a good meta-chuckle. Also, Box Game is amazing in a hurt-your-brain sort of way. Her witch game is also great, and will possibly be even greater if she ever goes back to it and finishes it. *cough*

3. CMaster says:

I thought it was really fun, save for a couple of moments of ridiculous frustration.
    The biggest of those being one of the early levels (4 maybe?) where you have to drop down precisely onto a button or face electric death.

• l1ddl3monkey says:

That bit in level 4 annoyed me too. But then level 5 went side scrolling and I liked it again, made for a change of pace.

I liked the fact that you can just pick it up and play it and the controls don’t get in the way of the puzzle solving. I liked the way that it explain the basic controls but lets you work out all the mechanics (like the extra speed and jump distance when in gravity-defying mode) for yourself and that the “special” surfaces, blocks etc are visually self explanatory.

I think the full game would need more music and sound variation and possibly the texture set needs to change as you advance; there’s only so many pastel blue rooms I can take in one sitting and the endless uniformity coupled with the gravity shifts started to make me unsure about which direction I was heading in some of the more convoluted levels, but the base gameplay elements are complex enough to keep me playing.

There; I finally said something grown up on RPS.

4. Eclipse says:

great game :) I love Sophie Houlden

5. Urael says:

Why the fuck am I seeing Minecraft in that screenshot?? God, it can’t have drilled that deeply into my subconscious…can it?

6. Urael says:

Ok, why the mother-palpitating heck am I seeing Minecraft in that screenshot?? It can’t have burrowed in my subconscoius that deeply…can it? *worried look*

• patricij says:

Same here, same here…

• James G says:

I don’t know, if you’re worried about seeing Minecraft, I think I should be struck numb with fear. For some reason, the first thing that sprang to mind on seeing the screenshot was Chip’s Challenge.

• James G says:

Edit: Comment disappeared into the void again. Regular bug with RPS in Opera, they often appear a few days later. Posting with Chrome at the moment.

• James G says:

(Ugh, posted this both in Opera and Chrome, and the comment failed to appear. Now posting in Internet Explorer [Haven't installed Firefox yet]. Judging by past experience the comments may appear a few days later. This is even more annoying than the ‘Slow down’ bug.)

• RegisteredUser says:

Once you start sneaking domino blocks to work to secretly build miniature black minecraft sheep, you will begin to understand why I have started up a new psychology clinic for MC coping, addiction and withdrawal.

Interventions will take place with people wearing brown paper bags over various parts of their body, so that the addict can recognize them still in his now completely crippled, only blockwordly-capable perception.

P.S. Minecraft is the Farmville for men. And I mean that in the worst possible way.

7. Tei says:

I kind of like it, but theres room for improvement, …the footsteps sound is too rought, … its a game that really needs vsync. I like the idea of a hub where is skill that limit what areas you can visit, but I got stuck on level 3. Not my cup of tea of a game, needs more pets, and farming, and chaos, for my tastes.
    Linear RPG is brilliant.

• PleasingFungus says:

That footstep sound.

I liked the game up to the point I played (beat Level 4, maybe?), there are some nifty ideas, but… god, that footstep sound is torture. Silence would be a thousand times better.

• Samuelson says:

Yes, those footsteps, but I love how fluid the movement is.

8. Serenegoose says:

Just finished it. Found level 9 and 10 challenging but given I finished them in about 7 minutes each without a walkthrough that’s not really all that bad. Gave me a bit of a headache when I couldn’t neatly visualise what to do next but it really was rather enjoyable. :) the game, I mean. Not the headache.

9. JohnnyMaverik says:

Yea pretty cool… THAT button drop on level 4 which has been previously mentioned got me fuming, must have died 8 or so times trying to do that, also level 7/8, the one with all the turning blocks where your weird sticky power gets nurfed right off the bat, but in the end it turned out I was just doing it wrong.

Only other problems are the usual third person game in unity problem, in that the camera can clip through anything, meaning if you run too close to a wall at the right angle you get treated to an eyefull of the empty void. Also I found all of the last 5 or so levels, bar 10, to be far easier than the ones building up to them. Not sure if it’s because I’d gotten used to the mechanics by then or what, but the only one I had trouble on was the one with all the turning blocks you have to skip over right at the start, and one of the buttons on level 10.

Still, an interesting mechanic used fairly well and diversely certainly makes this a promising preview.

10. pupsikaso says:

I liked it!

11. bill says:

Ok.That’s it. I’m gonna have to install unity.
    I hope it doesn’t slow down firefox…

12. RegisteredUser says:

Whoa this once more shows the unique ideas and creativity of the indie sc..MirrorsEdgePortaloknevermind.

13. phlebas says:

Fun stuff! The gamepad button assignments could be nicer though – the most immediate action (jumping) was assigned to the hardest to reach button, and dashing and jumping at the same time was rather awkward. Or maybe I’m just holding the pad wrong.

14. bill says:

that was totally awesome. Best web game i’ve played, i think.
    Though level 10 made my brain hurt – a little too many directions to keep in your head for too long. The other levels were great though.
    I think the problem with level 10 is that all the scenery looks the same, so it’s easy to get lost. If there was a little more variation in textures, or more items/objects/lights around then you’d have more idea if you’d been somewhere before.