Bethesda Confirms Mod Support For Skyrim

By Quintin Smith on January 20th, 2011 at 2:06 am.

The smouldering news-vixens of Big Download have taken note of a post on the Skyrim forums where a community manager confirmed that “Like the Elder Scrolls Construction Set for Morrowind and Oblivion, we plan to release Creation Kit so you guys can mod Skyrim.” Good news, good news. There’s still only one screenshot we can legally use for posts about Skyrim, so following yesterday’s post I’ve flipped it horizontally. I guess I could mod (photoshop) things into the same picture, thereby making it more relevant, but it’s very late and I just ate about fourteen potatoes. You lot want to have at it? I suggest adding: McDonald’s golden arches, Cliff Racers, Doom’s Cacodemon, Peter Molyneux or a bag of Milky Ways.

EDIT: I knew I could count on you guys.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. omicron1 says:

You know the really good thing?

With their own engine, they can probably add a lot of tools to the new Construction Set – things that make it easier, more stable, or were just missing from the prior one. I’m imagining modding getting a heckuva lot easier this time around – and that’s saying something!

• mwoody says:

It was always their engine. “Gamebryo” gets a lot of shit, but really, it’s just a pure graphics engine. Nothing about the dialogue, or the NPCs, or the design, or the crashes, or the scripting, or the mods, or ANY that people complain about in Morrowind/Fallout/Oblivion had anything to do with Gamebryo, a rendering engine also used in Civ IV, Divinity II, Epic Mickey, Lego Universe, and Warhammer Online.

So yeah, it’s great that Bethesda is designing a new engine, but make no mistake: in all the ways that gamers care about, they designed the last one, too.

2. El_MUERkO says:

with that news… i may buy it at launch to support the developer… but play it 6/7 months later when the mods have made it a better game :)

3. Alistair says:

Why does that water look so wrong?

• Quintin Smith says:

Because it’s actually the lank hair of an enormous mountain giant.

JESUS I should design fantasy games.

• pakoito says:

Shut up and play more that Nehrim mod over Oblivion.

God those guys knew what they were doing.

• BAReFOOt says:

It’s not water! It’s milk! And the building is a beehive, holding honey!

• Jsnuk says:

Think the upper most stuff may be frozen, not sure though

• omicron1 says:

Because Bethesda didn’t bother to add mist effects. Their waterfalls also do not have any transparency to speak of, whereas they should themselves be misty and inconsistent in appearance.

Divinity 2 did good waterfalls. Crysis did too. (But then, Crysis did good everything, so it’s not quite a reasonable comparison) This game… does mediocre waterfalls. But maybe they’ll improve them by release.

I doubt the upper waterfalls are frozen – it’s physically impossible to freeze water in freefall, despite the fact that game designers sometimes make frozen waterfalls for the visual effect.

• orient says:

“This game… does mediocre waterfalls.”

A classic pre-release single-screenshot comment if there ever was one.

• El Mariachi says:

Does this mean we’re living in some sort of Matrixesque video game?

• cowthief skank says:

Hailstones.

• Dyst says:

“I doubt the upper waterfalls are frozen – it’s physically impossible to freeze water in freefall”

It’s also physically impossible to be a wizard but you can do it in Skyrim.

• Tei says:

Moving water may not freeze…. over -40c, but ice can be formed where normally you have moving water, and finnaly replace, or stop, the wate from moving. So you have the same thing: a freze waterfall.

• Casimir's Blake says:

It’s a tower, not a water mill! :P

Skyrim will undoubtedly be technically impressive, maybe even visually. But it’s Morrowind and Daggerfall that I spent many happy hours dungeon-crawling in. Oblivion and Fallout 3 look “too realistic” (relatively) to come close to that abstract feeling of being in a fantastical place and not knowing what to expect. I fear the same will happen with Skyrim.

• omicron1 says:

Ok, there’s a lot of people pointing out the error in my analysis of freezing waterfalls.

Obviously I was at least partly wrong. I would say, however, that:
      1. These are all quite short, whereas the waterfalls in the image would break under their own weight.
      2. These are essentially icicles, whereas the waterfall in the image has the shape of a standard waterfall, and basically looks like an updated take on Oblivion’s waterfalls.
      3. The lower waterfalls are obviously still running; I doubt the region transitions between freezing and just “cold” in that little vertical space
      4. The image does not appear to be set in a year-round-cold region; note the foliage, and the open windows in the tower.

Given these, while water can freeze into the form commonly understood to be a waterfall, I would still say that this is not a picture of a frozen waterfall.

“A classic pre-release single-screenshot comment if there ever was one.”
      Sure. Going from this and Bethesda’s track record in Oblivion, and the fact that this is undoubtedly a framed image for the press, if they’re putting their best on display, I’d have to say they do mediocre waterfalls.

• Bobzer says:

As an all round winter sports guy and amateur rock and ice climber I can say that I have seen waterfalls that big that have frozen, the one I’m thinking of was in Austria.

As for the second waterfall it could be that there is another spring or source of water in the building itself. You never know.

• DrGonzo says:

I can only assume you’re looking at a different version of the image. The one here is far too small to make a judgement on the graphics. Anyone got a link?

• Azazel says:

Minecraft does the best waterfalls.

4. pakoito says:

I would add CliffyB saying “I’m grumpy”.

About the Constructor set, no biggie, TES w/o mods is like Halo w/o multiplayer.

5. Pijama says:

Quintin, bed, now.

Or just wait the potatoes to go down, because otherwise you will fart to death.

Also: MOAR modding? Good stuff.

• Rich says:

“Or just wait the potatoes to go down, because otherwise you will fart to death.”
      Wasn’t that on CSI Miami once?
      “Looks like this guy… blew it.” [Cue screaming chap from The Who]

6. the_fanciest_of_pants says:

Huzzah, now I can look forward to this in peace!

• Jad says:

Agreed! I was withholding my excitement because I had a horrible sinking feeling that this game would drop mod support. I was building up quite a reserve of vitriol, in fact. Now I can be happy! Best gaming news of the year so far.

7. Fuu says:

I look forward to realistic hunger mods so I too can eat fourteen potatoes.

8. Pantsman says:

Not cliff racers. Anything but cliff racers.

9. frenz0rz says:

This is good news indeed. Even if many of us dont find exactly what we want in Skyrim, there is at least the opportunity for our experience to be improved and enhanced by the modding community. I mean, while Oblivion was still in many respects a great game, I wouldnt have played it anywhere near as much as I did if it wasnt for the work of so many talented people with the right set of tools.

10. AlexBDev says:

Been preparing for this since December! :D

11. Alaric says:

How do you prepare for Skyrim? A better question perhaps would be where is Skyrim?

12. Jake says:

Sorry but at this time in the morning you get a badly photoshopped kitten or nothing.

13. DOLBYdigital says:

Its still early evening for me but my lack of motivation and skill prevents me from even trying. However this news greatly excites me and answers the only question I really had for this game. Its now a day one purchase to support this practice and maybe even try some modding since it should be easier. Look forward to all the crazy stuff that the community will add, change and modify more than the actual game.

14. WJonathan says:

Dragon-eating kittens.

15. malkav11 says:

Now that I own the GameInformer with the article about Skyrim in it (acquired a cheap 2 year sub that started last month), I can assure you that’s the best screenshot in it.

16. MultiVaC says:

YES! Out of all the news for Skyrim so far, this is the biggest relief. Thank you, Bethesda, for giving us the means to correct your inevitable horrible decisions ourselves.

17. Tetragrammaton says:

Partially and pointlessly relevant.

18. dethtoll says:

Awesome, now we can mod the boring out of it!

• Wulf says:

I rarely say anything of the sort, but…

^ So very much this.

I don’t have anything against Bethesda. In fact, I quite like them. Quite a lot, in fact. But their games are often boring and have been since Morrowind. I’d love to see them hire some talented quest designers and writers, so the entirety of TES VI could be as clever as the Dark Brotherhood quests.

• Werthead says:

“I’d love to see them hire some talented quest designers and writers, so the entirety of TES VI could be as clever as the Dark Brotherhood quests.”

Or maybe they could just use that guy again? Or if he’s off their payroll now, maybe rehire him?

19. Kevin says:

Well I guess Bethesda recognizes that the ability to play the game like Mount and Blade as an ethereally beautiful kawaii anime elf-girl decked out in gear out of a Korean MMO is enough for us to put up with a dialogue system that takes us to the deepest depths of the uncanny valley, awful animations, and bang-your-head-against-the-wall gameplay mechanics.

20. Kevin says:

Good that Bethesda recognizes that the ability for us to play the game like Mount and Blade as an ethereally beautiful kawaii anime elf-girl decked out in gear out of a Korean MMO is enough for us to put up with awful animations and NPCs that take us on a wild ride through the deepest depths of the uncanny valley. I just hope Bethesda fixes those problems too.

21. HermitUK says:

Bring on the dragon riding mod.

22. Wulf says:

I’m familiar with the GECK now out of necessity, so I suspect that picking up modding for this won’t be too hard, and the first thing I’m likely going to do is mod all the dragons so that I can play through the game without having to kill a single one of them. …I might even create dialogue for the dragons, so I can play the game New Vegas style, and suave my way out of every potential dragon fight.

Horribly ambitious, yes. But it would be an incredible thing to do.

(The end result would be more How to Train Your Dragon and less ‘leet durgankiller nerd ovaltine’ – which still makes me twitch.)

• MadMinstrel says:

Please do! I hate all that pointless violence in my RPGs. It’s actually disgusting how you can’t save the world once in modern games without killing a couple hundred dangerous-looking, but otherwise innocent goblins/soldiers/creatures/robots/dragons.

• Tetragrammaton says:

Dragons are like cows in that they belong in my stomach.
      Hear me roar.

• DrugCrazed says:

I’m going to be honest, I want to give birth to your babies after that statement. You free next Saturday?

• Wulf says:

RPS: Naturally abrasive and caustic just because someone has an opinion. No wonder I absolutely despise most of you. I mean, honestly, was any of that really necessary? Was it? No, of course it wasn’t. I just suggested something that I’d personally find more appealing. You don’t have to be such gigantic dicks about it. You can be, yes, but you don’t have to be. Capability doesn’t invite motivation, after all.

This is why I don’t like this community so much. Had I mentioned an idea like this over on the Nexus, people who didn’t like it would’ve held their peace, and those who were interested would’ve expressed that, because at the end of the day it’s just people trying to make a game better in a way that’ll suit a certain demographic. Personally I don’t like moralistic black & white nonsense, I think that should be left in preschool and in Saturday morning cartoons. I don’t believe in moral absolutes like good and evil. I tend to think that people just have motivations, and those could be seen as good or evil subjectively, but they’re rarely either. Therefore, I’d like to actually have the chance to talk to these so-called ‘evil’ creatures.

Hey, RPS. Do you want us to ‘win’ in the Middle-East? :P

Again I worry that the vast majority of RPS’s community is supplied by the extreme right, because simplified moralistic views tend to go hand in hand with that.

• Durkonkell says:

WTF Wulf?! I see nothing in the three replies there that justifies you flying off the handle in that manner. Also lumping the entire community into a politically-aligned insult, that’s not cool either. I’m not even convinced that the first reply was even critical! I actually read it as supportive although I suppose it could have been sarcastic and I’ve failed to pick up on it…

Anyway, I was going to say that I quite like what you’ve suggested. I’m not convinced that dragons are actually “evil” in Elder Scrolls lore – the chief Deity takes the form of a dragon, and at least one worked for Tiber Septim. Is it even confirmed that the dragons will be antagonists in Skyrim?

• Urael says:

Durkonell, the more I read of Wulf’s outporings the more I’m convinced he’s reaching some kind of critical mass where RPS is concerned. Not content with decrying Skyrim from the very moment it appeared on the site he’s been growing increasingly combative and insulting with each successive Skyrim thread. As you say there’s very little in the comments above his to suggest he was under attack but he’s reacted like a cornered animal in the middle of a forest on fire which, somewhat ironically, is the behaviour of many of the right wing persuasion I’ve encountered in my travels along the internet’s tubes.

Wulf, seriously man, you’re an intelligent and valued addition to the RPS commenting cause but this aggression is unworthy of you.

• Hematite says:

Quick Wulf, intone the protective incantation!

Renewable Energy
      Same-sex Marriage
      Universal Health Care

Right Wing, I banish thee!

• Nick says:

What in the hell is your problem? You can’t seem to post anything without going on some multi-paragraph rant about how special you are and how much everyone here sucks. Just stop it.

• Quintin Smith says:

Agreed. Wulf, you just called several people who were being perfectly lovely to you “gigantic dicks,” not to mention being condescending to them.

Never mind your opinions on RPS, I’d guess that that’s not the kind of guy you’d like to be perceived as.

• Shadram says:

The dragons talk, anyway. They confirmed as much in the Sounds of Skyrim video, or whatever it was called.

EDIT: Video 3 on this page: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/01/14/the-sounds-of-skyrim.aspx

• Gassalasca says:

Yeah, I usually enjoy reading you posts, Wulf, but… who took the jam out of your doughnut today? 0.o

• Durkonkell says:

Thankyou, Shadram. I should probably pay actual attention to the game coverage, but a shoddy Internet connection means I generally don’t watch trailers or other video-type promotional materials.

Incidentally: Durkonkell has two Ks. Sorry, I realise it must seem pedantic and I assume complete responsibility for choosing a name that’s hard to absorb at a glance (no, really. Everyone calls me Durkonell, my guildmates, other Warcraft bloggers, everyone ever). It was a compromise of a name in the first place, shouldn’t have used it for RPS.

Finally: “Who took the jam out of your doughnut” is a new one to me. I approve. Adding to vocabulary now…

• Tetragrammaton says:

For the record I actually agree with you Wulf, (On the dragon thing, not the gigantic dicks thing. [I should be so lucky.])

Edit: I wasn’t going to, but i feel I should address something that Wulf said, as it may be constructive. (either that, or its way past my bedtime.)
      The issue is the targeted political aside. Now, I assume this is a reaction to previous posts us few have made in the past, and as i can speak for no-one but myself, I shall do so. It is true that I don’t hold what is considered the fashionable ‘leftist’ view in the UK, but equally I am not going to sit here and defend myself against accusations of cryptofacisim, because that would be absurd.
      Frankly I am deeply suspicious of anyone who claims to be an ardent supporter of either left or right. I believe life is far too complex to be corralled into such an arbitrary collection of constructs. My opinions are therefore informed by my own experience and reasoning- rather than the camp’s cookbook.
      That aside, your comments often whiff strongly of an irony you seem completely oblivious to.
      Individual rights to an opinion is a constant theme of yours, It is a little perplexing then that you often seem to attack people that hold different opinions to yourself. Why is it worrying if there are indeed right wingers here on the site? Surely they to are entitled to an opinion as you are. Who are you to look down on someone if the happen to like the archetype of the brave hero fighting the evil dragon. (It should be noted that the dragon IS the primordial archetype for manifest evil)
      Anyway, I don’t want to sound too bitchy, because you often post interesting and informed comments on the site, and it would be a loss to the community if you where to stop.
      RPS is a bustling place now, and there is an enormous and eclectic mix that post here, each with their own likes and dislikes. Try not too judge people to harshly because they see the world in a different way.

I told you. Waaaay past my bedtime.

• DrazharLn says:

Wulf, I (also) generally enjoy reading your posts and opinions, but I don’t think your outburst was appropriate. You’re a valued member of this little comment thread community, please don’t go (or go mad).

23. Baboonanza says:

Thank christ. The nerd-rage had there not been mod support would have insufferable.

24. Gassalasca says:

Hm… I am probably not the first to say this, but does ‘Skyrim’ bring to anyone’s mind the image of a giant celestial bum?

25. Alexander Norris says:

Well, damn. I was hoping it wouldn’t be moddable so people could stop claiming Bethesda makes good games just because there’s loads of modders out there correct their terrible design.

• Archonsod says:

I was hoping it wouldn’t be moddable so we wouldn’t have to put up with yet another bunch of halfwits who think they can make a better game myself.

• The Great Wayne says:

^ Pretty much this.

Mods are at most personal preference adjustements and graphical optimization over time. Guys who’re claiming to make the game “better” just need to get over themselves.

Vanilla games from bethesda are just fine, and even if I myself do use a lot of mods, it only comes to personal taste.

Mods offer options and long term support. No more.

• Wulf says:

Just… play Oblivion, then play Nehrim, okay?

Then play Neverwinter Nights, then play many of the top 10 mods over on the Neverwinter Vault.

Then play Fallout 3, and compare the quests against Puce Moose’s mods.

You might not like it, but it doesn’t make it any less true, and not recognising this doesn’t make you any less of a prat. Some of the best game developing talent has come out of modders. Valve recognises this, but you don’t because… why? I’m just going to call douchefuckery borne of jealousy and envy.

• Urthman says:

I wouldn’t point to mod support as proof that “Bethesda makes great games,” but I’d say that, with the right set of mods, Oblivion is a fantastic game. When I’m having that much fun, I don’t really care how much of the credit Bethesda deserves and how much goes to the modders.

Great Wayne — Oblivion with the FCOM suite of mods is a pretty significantly different game. The main quest is mostly the same, but the leveling and the loot and the monster balance and distribution is totally different. For a lot of people, that’s the real meat of an open-world RPG.

• The Great Wayne says:

Wulf, I’d not go so far as to say that you’re biased on the whole question, but in this case, you are. And among the douchebagery, I’d call going around every thread on the topic shitting on bethesda team’s work -unless it’s been through the holy hands of those fantastics modders- to be on top. There are plenty of people who enjoyed “vanilla” bethesda products.

I use mods. Is there talent there ? Of course there often is. Can it make some people enjoy the game more ? Definitely. But does modding makes the game better (appart from options and long term support, as I said before) in an objective and absolute fashion ? No, definitely not.

Quoting valve with stuff like counter strike or team fortress is stupid, for example CS is a whole different game than HL, same for TF with quake. Trying to call it “better” than the source game is at best delusional and at worst an obvious case of hubris.

Actually, thinking about it, pushing the paranoia so far as calling on the hypothetical “envy” of the detractors definitely points toward hubris.

• Blackseraph says:

The great wayne. Oblivion at least is outright horrible without mods to fix some random bandits to not have mithril armor and other insane crap like that.

At least I thought it was sort of moronic to be able to win arena championship in Oblivion at level 1.

• Vinraith says:

Vanilla Morrowind was good, modded Morrowind was great. Vanilla Oblivion was ok, modded Oblivion was great. Vanilla Fallout 3 was good, modded Fallout 3 is great. Bethesda, by and large, makes good games that are made even better by allowing players to customize them to taste. If they weren’t moddable, they’d still be good, but they’d never be quite as great as they could be for any specific person with mods.

• Shadram says:

My first 60-odd hours of Oblivion was on the XBox 360 (yeah, yeah, but my PC was temporarily exploded, and I had no money to buy the required unexploded parts, having recently spent it all on an XBox 360), and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This was, obviously, un-modded, so I can quite confidently say that I’ll enjoy whatever Bethesda do with Skyrim, regardless of how moddable it is.

That said, I did then go on to spend several hundred more hours on the PC version of Oblivion, adding, removing and tweaking dozens of mods until I got it to play how I wanted it to play. No doubt the same will happen with Skyrim, too…

• Tetragrammaton says:

@The Great Wayne. Sorry, but your argument holds no water. I wont list the games that have been astronomically improved by modds here because there aren’t enough hours in the day.
      But as ive been playing it all evening Ill throw Circle of 8 pack for TOEE as a freebie.

26. HexagonalBolts says:

Oh Bethesda! Sexy, sexy Bethesda, thank you Bethesda.

27. Unaco says:

Yay! This means I can mod out those damn furries, and the walking talking lizards. Unless… they’ve taken the decision to reduce the number of playable races already.

Also, Yay! Naruto mods. Or whatever it is kids are into these days.

• Quintin Smith says:

No! The Argonians are great! Although I’ll admit that the Khajit were better in Morrowind, where they were all slutty drug addicts.

• Unaco says:

I wasn’t being serious (I always use ||srs|| markup when I am). I was merely trying to make light of the innumerable requests for Morrowind and (mostly) Oblivion mods, either completely removing Khajiit/Argonians (along the lines of “Get these *** furry ******* freaks, and **** ** scaly *** ****, *********** * my game!”), or making them more sexy, with new…. shudder… animations.

Similar thing with the Naruto mods… I think someone worked out, that, at one point, around 12% of the threads on the TES Official Ob modding forums were requests for Naruto mods.

• Wulf says:

Here’s the awesome thing: The Nexus forums are generally pro-anthro and even possibly pro-furry, so that’s unlikely to happen. I’ve noticed this a few times, it intrigued me so much that I actually went and did a specific search for such, and there were many instances of furry hate that were shut down by the vast majority of that community. This was worth a cocked eyebrow. I mean… what makes you so much more open minded and better than most gaming communities, Nexus? Indeed, what makes them better than even RPS?

This is why no one’s really taken anyone up on it. Also, the Nexus community absolutely loves more harmless humour, too. This is something I can get behind. Mods like restoring 3 INT dialogue to New Vegas, across the board, or adding more Wild Wasteland encounters. I just find that the Nexus community is silly and perhaps that’s why they counter hateful so well. They just want everyone to have fun with and enjoy their mods, and they’re not going to discriminate.

One of my favourite instances of this was Drake’s Dragon Anthro mods. Drake always came across as strongly either Otherkin or furry. His mod was well received and loved by so many people on the Nexus. I was one of them, since that half-dragon of his is absolutely incredible. I haven’t ever seen a race-mod like it. To be honest, I’m waiting and hoping that someone will port it over to Nehrim, too. That’ll be worth a replay, then.

I know this wasn’t serious, but I was just making a point. In fact, sexy animations are more likely to be welcomed at the Nexus and not spoken angrily about by anyone. :p The Nexus tends to have very loose and not at all bigoted reactions to sexual things, as well. They don’t object to sexy men, women, or furries. Bless ‘em. This is actually one of the reasons I find Bethesda games irresistible. I might not be so interested in the game itself, but Nexus will be there. This means awesome mods and a great community.

And yes, this is just trying to answer why no one ever took anyone up on removing the Khajiit and Argonians from the game, since that’d be a fairly openly anti-furry thing to do, and that just doesn’t seem to be readily embraced over there. They’re just not nasty people.

• Gassalasca says:

What is this Nexus you speak of?

• Durkonkell says:

The Nexus is an energy ribbon that…

Wait. No. Wrong continuity.

The Elder Scrolls Nexus is a Morrowind / Oblivion and presumably soonish Skyrim modding community and repository. I assume that this is the Nexus of which we are speaking, anyway.

28. Blackseraph says:

Ooh, a cat. :)

This is clear proof to me that you can be a cat in skyrim.

29. trooperdx3117 says:

So its moddable eh, how long before the first nude mod is made, place your bets now people!

30. BarerRudeROC says:

Why do Khajits lick their own butts?

31. MacBeth says:

OK, I quickly put this together over lunch…

…but I suspect the kitten is better…

32. MacBeth says:

Er… is the cliff racer wrong? I was relying on Google Images to know what they looked like…

• nilerr says:

Oh, no sir. That’s the one, i could recognise it out of thousands.
      Thousands.. *twitch* Oh, god, no, they’re here again!

33. laddyman says:

This game looks awesome, but where are all the cliff racers? Oblivon was without cliff racers, which was fine, but we have to have them back in Skyrim. They simply add so much depth and life to the game, no?

34. roryok says:

anyone else think the building looks like a big v8?

35. Resin says:

That Mod looks awesome I’ll by Skyrm just so I can get the Legend of the Kittehborn Mod for it!

36. Shadram says:

Is that Molyneux doing an impression of Nosferatu? Awesome.

37. EBass says:

What I don’t understand is why people thought mod support was going to be curtailed in the first place, did they ever make a statement insinuating such? I mean Oblivion and Fallout 3 were console games as much as PC games and the mod support was all there, it seems every Skyrim post I’ve seen up till now has been something like.

“Is there mod support?”
    “I wouldn’t like no mod support.”
    “Is there no mod support?”
    “THERES NO MOD SUPPORT!?!?!?!?”
    “Can someone confirm theres no mod support?”
    “I HATE BETHESDA FOR STOPPING MOD SUPPORT!!!”
    “Fuck Bethesda.”

I don’t get where the no mod support idea has come from.

38. Scandalon says:

The cacodemon increased my interest in this game 500%.

39. Azazel says:

I bet it’ll have a f***ing WHALE in the intro.

Comment on this story