Secrets Of Brink Revealed

By Alec Meer on January 20th, 2011 at 6:22 pm.

Sometimes we’re guilty of fire and forget posting of trailers – showing you a pretty video then buggering off without much else said about it. Not this time! For the latest video from Splash Damage’s upcoming (and very promising) shooty death game Brink, I’ve taken the liberty of a near second-by-second commentary upon what it’s showing. In it, I uncover incredible secrets and reveal an unprecedented degree of insight into the game.

You’ll see.

0m01s – We’re not children so that’s ok!
0m09s – Man!
0m12s – Gun!
0m14s – Man with gun!
0m16s – Man with gun!
0m17s – Gun!
0m18s – Man with gun!
0m20s – Gun!
0m21s – Man with gun!
Om22s – Gun!
0m24s – Man with enormous gun!
0m25s – Gun!
0m27s- Enormous gun!
0m29s – Exploding gun!
0m30s -TANK TANK TANK TANK TANK TANK TANK
0m31s – Many guns!
0m33s – Big man with gun!
0m35s – Red-handed man with gun!
0m36s – Blackness. So black. So very black. Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.
0m37s – Men!
0m38s – Exploding man!
0m40s – Creepy hooded man with gun!
0m43s – TANK TANK TANK TANK TANK TANK TANK
0m45s – Men, guns, men, guns, men, guns!
0m48s – Biff!
0m50s – Men!
0m52s – Guns!
0m54s – Enormous man with enormous gun!
0m56s – Man with exploding groin!
0m57s – Tiny man!
1m00 – Man falling onto men!
1m02 – Massive bloody rocket!
1m05- EXPLODEYDENDRON
1m06 – Logo! With what looks like a bishop’s hat at the end!
1m10s – Lots of logos! We only care about the one that says ‘Windows!’

In conclusion, Brink is secretly a game about men and guns. And jolly spectacular it seems too. Can this be released now please? We all had an excellent time with at the EG Expo last year – this is a prime candidate for RPS Game Club if ever there was one.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Rob Hale says:

This is exactly why I love RPS the most.

2. Bhazor says:

The shooting animation looks really off somehow. Their body remains rock steady, their expression remains blank but their arms go all noodly.

Still between this and Bulletstorm nonsense arcadey shooting seems to be back in style so thats good. I have to wonder what Croteam is thinking about all this.

• The Great Wayne says:

Yeah, I concur. Sometimes it reminded me of APB. Which is kinda scary, as I’m hoping Brink will deliver.

• gerafin says:

Yeah… the previous videos made it look as smooth as TF2, quake, UT04, or other super-streamlined shooters. This definitely has an unnatural blockiness to it, and doesn’t fit the slidey-jumpy-acrobatic feel of what they’re trying to do.

Still, the game’s not out yet… so we can hope that they polish it up a bit more.

• DrGonzo says:

I think it may be due to it being console footage. Presumably on the PC version people will be moving around a lot more.

• RegisteredUser says:

I am unsure whether it’s the “zomg we must have 3 cuts per second coz modern man cannot stand boredim!” editing or what, but something felt off to me as well.
      Not sure whether it’s due to video vs playing it or something that will end up less an issue than I fear..but it just seemed weird.

Let’s wait until demo/game.

3. Vague-rant says:

Definitely one I’m looking forward for. Hopefully there’ll be enough maps out of the box to not make DLC mandatory.

4. Tacroy says:

You missed “Running man!” at 0m20s – the running animation looks really good for some reason.

5. DarkNoghri says:

I likey.

6. Dances to Podcasts says:

Kids with guns, kids with guns
    Oooowaoooowaooooo

• Vandelay says:

Easy does it, easy does it.
      They got something to say no to.

Share others slight fears about this video not looking quite as excellent as the previous ones, but it still looks like it could be good fun. Certainly looks like a different style of FPS to most modern shooters, which isn’t a bad thing. Also encouraged by the comments of those from RPS that actually got to play it.

• Lord_Mordja says:

Well played!
      I was thinking the exact same thing.

• terry says:

Kids with guns that you can only knock unconscious.

*glowers at Legion brats in Fallout New Vegas*

7. DSR says:

If you’ve played Battlefield 2, you probably know term “dolphin diving” well.
    Its when a MAN with a GUN runs to you and jumps and goes prone at the same time while minimizing your chances to hit him thanks to most broken hit detection ever made.
    This slide and shoot move looks equally scary.
    I hate this game and raging all over the place already.
    Mark my words, its gonna be ugly. Mark my words!

• Dozer says:

What a shame.

• SpaceAkers says:

even better was CoD1, wherein ppl would traverse the landscape in such a manner. Running, jumping and landing in prone, instantly standing up and repeating.

It was called frog hopping or something of the sort AND IT WAS SILLY.

• DOLBYdigital says:

I agree that this game isn’t grabbing me the way it seems to be with everyone else. I actually felt like I was watching a mod and not a fully fleshed out game. The slide move will surely be overused unless they incorporate some kind of aim penalty. Well maybe it will turn out well but I have a feeling if I do grab this game it will be in a year when its $15.

• wazups2x says:

@DSR

Dolphin diving was fixed in BF2 with patch 1.5.

8. DarkWeeble says:

Insightful as always! Keep up the good work. Would comment again! A++++++

9. Vague-rant says:

For me, the only concern left about Brink is whether or not the map number will make Map pack DLC obligatory or not.

10. CMaster says:

The actual shooting looks well, like any other shooty game.
    The movement system continues to looks like the most exciting thing about this game. Smash the refridgerator box!
    There was some hints of really big levels too. Pretty please can this mean multiple routes with varied objectives? (I know Splash Damage have talked a bit about this, but I’d be intrigued to see if they can make it work).

11. Inglourious Badger says:

Men with guns? It’ll never catch on

12. Shatners Bassoon says:

Is that Pricey I hear?

13. Caribou says:

Not a sniper rifle in sight, thank the lord. Too many team-based multiplayer games are spoiled by ten or so idiots camped in some remote corner of the map repeatedly taking potshots at another idiot hundreds of metres away whilst doing bugger all to help anyone out.

• gwathdring says:

Let’s not blame bad sniping on the very existence of sniper rifles … there are plenty of crappy tactics used by other classic weapons classes in team shooty type games other than ineffectual sniping. Snipers usually don’t detract, in my experience. In TF2, as an example, it tends to balance out. Bad snipers with good aim get into sniper wars which neutralizes enemy snipers. At worst, they’re making sure good snipers with good aim don’t perforate your head. In less madcap games, I guess it might be frustrating to have snipers that do bugger-all of any use, but I don’t really get the impression that sniping are inherently more attractive to useless players than any other class. I can see getting frustrated going up against people who don’t do anything except put a bullet in your skull from half a mile away right as you’re getting into the rhythm of things–but that’s a sniper’s job done well. Putting people on edge, taking out anyone who would otherwise be safe to take a few casual potshots themselves.

14. The Army of None says:

Alec’s commentary is a thing of beauty to behold.

15. Joe Maley says:

Less impressive than I thought it would be.

I guess the sound engineers have never shot a gun before, because all the gunshots on that trailer sounded like airsoft/paintball guns.

• Wowza says:

The sounds were recorded from real guns, according to one of the developer diaries.

• Joe Maley says:

Maybe they over-normalized/limited them in the mastering process.. they just sound really weak with almost no bass frequencies.

Just an arcade game, I understand.

• gwathdring says:

More important is whether they’ve listened to guns before. Most important is whether or not they can make fake guns that sound awesome. The various guns weren’t quite as distinctive sounding as they are in some games, though. That’s the only thing I personally care about with gun sounds. I like knowing what I’m up against before I can see it.

• gwathdring says:

It’s pretty odd that the rocket/gernade things make a glass-breaking tinkly noise instead of a boom, though ….

Edit: I guess there’s a boom. The drums hid it a bit. Still, the tinkle is odd.

• mondomau says:

Maybe the audio quality of the video isn’t up to the task, or maybe you’re just too picky a weekend warrior, but i can assure you that when I played the game at the Eurogamer Expo, the sound quality (including that of the guns) was one of the things that stuck with me afterwards.

Also, the gameplay rocked. can’t wait for this to come out.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Real guns just don’t have that Dolby Surround Boom(TM).

• RegisteredUser says:

Trent Reznor’s Doom 3 sounds.

That is all.

16. Greg Wild says:

I disagree with 0m14s. That was totally a Gun with Man.

17. ZIGS says:

This better have a decent single-player campaign

• Gaff says:

That’s one of the best things about Brink, that multiplayer and singleplayer are essentially the same thing, with either real people or bots.

• Wowza says:

I just hope that the singleplayer doesn’t end up being like a multiplayer map with bots.

• Joe Maley says:

I just hope that the multiplayer doesn’t end up being like a singleplayer map with humans.

• Starky says:

I hope that the single player doesn’t end up like single player with bots.
      I also hope that the multiplayer doesn’t end up like multiplayer with humans.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I hope this game doesn’t turn me into a bot.

• Dhatz says:

Dont u get it? its a simulplayer! AWESOME there is one thing im concerned more than the w_reload anims or if mags of emptiness dont look like mags of fullness: will it blend with piracy?

• RegisteredUser says:

It seems successful troll was successful.

Also I have actually begun to cope with the fact that games like Left 4 Dead 2 (or way back when Quake 3, or CS:S) are made solely for multiplayer.

Even though I really wish more guns would look, sound and feel like in CS:S / L4D2 for many a singleplayer game, I can live with this now. As long as SP games still get made that are actually geared towards SP, and not towards MP, not towards consoles, gamepads or PR people.

We CAN all live in peace, just don’t forget about the SP side.

18. Arathain says:

“EXPLODEYDENDRON”

This is the best new word.

19. Tei says:

The weapons feel somewhat weak, like shotting 1000 bullets to a dude, and have him still alive. Also the maps looks small. Can’t wait for the final game, but It looks to me like some of the original design decisions has ben diluted, this looks much more generic that what the original videos make it look (the Vision? ). Still theres a lot of visual sci-fi in this, so I am a happy panda :D

20. Luke says:

This is also extremely useful, if like me, you’re viewing this from a computer that for some reason is incapable of simple tasks like rendering video on the web.

Now I don’t even need to see it. :)

21. DoucheMullet says:

“Games for Windows”

HERP.

22. Kadayi says:

Disappointed. I was expecting a final shot to show some subservient women locked away in shadowy rooms, ala Luc Bessons ‘The Last Battle’. Sadly the mystery of the non existent lady folk & children has yet to explained…..

23. Sigma Draconis says:

Great stuff. The trailer and the RPS rundown.
    I wish I could get that short Brink melody as a ringtone.

24. StranaMente says:

I noticed that the bearded guy on the left in the picture above has something written in italian on his jacket. From what I can read sounds like “No masters. Slaves to none” or maybe “masters of nothing. Slaves to none” (can’t read it well).

25. Navagon says:

There is so much I would have missed if it were not for you providing your insight.

26. DXN says:

They sound nice.

27. The Innocent says:

I think it looks amazing, and I’m stoked for it.

28. DeepSleeper says:

So is this Quake 4 or Unreal Tournament 2011?

Also, why are all these people mutants genetically recombined with ostrich DNA? Those necks are out of CONTROL.

• multiname says:

It’s Enemy Territory 3.

• rhizo says:

Enemy Territory: The Iron Sights Edition. Now with automated trick jumping.
      /kidding
      Though surely nobody’s counting QW as a proper ET sequel. This might still be good though, let’s reserve final judgement. If it allows even 1/10th of the original’s control over HUD/gameplay variables I’d be a happy gamer.
      “You don’t like head bobbing? Np, turn it off.”
      “Default FOV’s nauseating you? Configure away!”

A boy can dream…

• KillahMate says:

It actually uses the Doom 3 engine (heavily modified, still couldn’t believe it when I read it), so in theory everything should be very configurable, in the best Id tradition. None of that ridiculous Unreal Engine 3 fixed FOV, no AA crap.

Incidentally, didn’t know there were customizable weapons in this. That bit looks like great fun.

29. Torgen says:

These games are really becoming hard to keep apart, especially since they’ve all chosen names beginning in “B”. I’ve managed to remember that Bulletstorm is the crude one, but keep mixing up which features are in which game between Brink and Breach. (Mostly because I keep forgetting the name “Breach” and lumping all the features of both games under the “Brink” name.)

30. wererogue says:

^^ It’s not that hard, Breach is the one with breaching. Of walls and so-forth. Brink is the other one, in this case the climbing-up-and-sliding-under-anything button.

I’m really looking forward to giving Brink a go – that said, I’d say skipping out a gender is a step backwards for character customization.

• Torgen says:

Yeah, if I could *remember* the name “Breach,” I could keep them apart. I suppose there’s worse maladies than keeping all the upcoming manshooters straight, though. : )

But, thinking about it, how cool would it be to be able to blow a hole in a wall, then dive through it? These two games need to get together and make babies.

• Thants says:

Brink is the one with brinking.

• Dhatz says:

why does EVERY shooter have to start on B? orderlands, ulletstorm, reach, rink, those would be quite unique enough.

31. kwyjibo says:

Comic art style, lots of customization options, multiplayer deathmatch.

But the reason it’ll do better than APB, is because they’re not fucking stupid and arrogant enough to charge a subscription fee.

32. Grot_Punter says:

Does this have the Cerebral Bore? That is my favorite gun ever. I doubt this has it, as it seems to have only poorly painted, madly constructed real/fictional guns that look real/fake, and do the dakka.

Also, slidey slidey slidey mans! Do they cover their pants in grease or wax or something, for they are quite slidey.

Also does anyone else look at the art direction for BRINK, and subconsciously go “I miss Timesplitters.”?

33. heretic says:

wasn’t sure about this but this trailer is a lot better than the earlier works!

the guns are very well modelled as well, very important – the last game I remember having amazing gun models was global operations (old!)

I can see matches where everybody does the slidey attack thing non-stop though, it’s the new bunny hopping.

34. MrPants says:

Alec, just a little refinement and perhaps a quick focus group study and you could probably turn this into a Masters thesis.

35. vodkarn says:

You can’t play as a woman? Oh goddamnit now I won’t play this with my girlfriend. Too bad, was looking forward to getting it and co-op playing with her.

36. Soon says:

It reads like your rorschach test results.

37. jamie says:

Yeah but imagine it was like oblivian.. an official lord of the rings game where it had loads of group rpg stuff and PvP with like 100 ppl big war wooo!!!!!!!!!

38. 3Suns says:

LOL Nice!

Can’t wait.

39. Thants says:

“In conclusion, Brink is secretly a game about men and guns.”

Dude, spoilers!

40. Bungle says:

I wanted to watch the video a second time and the media player tried to show me a second advertisement. THE VIDEO ITSELF IS AN ADVERTISEMENT!!!

Also, this site seems to be less Opera-friendly than it used to be. I’m typing this using Google Chrome because I haven’t been able to comment on Opera.

41. BrendanJB says:

They managed to make a trailer that completely glossed over the most exciting aspect of their game. Great job.

I can shoot people in the face and customize weapons in any shootymcshoot game, the reason Brink is on my radar is the freedom of movement, dynamic objectives and the interesting setting, and none of that was shown off.

I did not like this trailer.

42. Dhatz says:

can we stop posting not gametrailer links to gametrailers videos?

43. Stephen Roberts says:

Scoping to shoot accurately and sliding about the place in a dynamic movement-as-survival way (a-la Quake 3) seem to be contradictory design elements. I was excited until I saw this.

Not that it will stop be buying it and playing it. But then, I’m an idiot.

44. Scooter Dooter says:

Ecstatic that its not another photo-realistic, boom-boom your dead in two shots to the crotch sort of games. I’m glad that Splash Damage decided to take a unique art direction for Brink, and that even the light body class isn’t pathetically weak.

Comment on this story