Dragon Space 2 Armour in Dead Age 2

By John Walker on January 21st, 2011 at 11:18 am.

I can't wait to get Darkspore add-ons from Populous.

When it was announced that there would be Dragon Age armour in Mass Effect 2, it may have gone crashing through the fourth wall like a confused rhinoceros, but at least the two games came from the same developer. It’s bemusing to try to fathom how the two universes might cross over, but we got over it. But for Dragon Age 2 you’ll be able to unlock unique armour if you also have, er, Dead Space 2. Buh-huh?

There’s a trailer explaining all this below.

Um, no, still makes no sense.

But still – there you go. Should you wish to have armour that looks a bit like the stuff in Dead Space 2 when you’re playing Dragon Age, this is entirely possible.

Although I do like the idea that EA may be planning some Avengers-style ultimate game, where all their biggest franchises come together in one. Sure, they could simply go for a Stephen King-esque interwoven universe shared by all their projects, but how much more fun to have a Sims Dragon Age Bad Company Dead Space Need For Speed Fifa Spore Harry Potter Mass Effect Crysis game?

, , , .

1. Navagon says:

“Pre-order one game and get an incentive to pre-order another free!”

EA really do seem to love keeping me in wait for the complete edition mode.

• Sam says:

Nowhere did it say you had to pre-order either of them to get the armor. You buy DS2, get a code, buy DA2, input the code, get some funky armor.

Considering I was planning to buy both anyway, doesn’t bother me.

2. godgoo says:

I would spend the whole time allowing Harry Potter to be devoured by space mutants.

TheApologist says:

Fuck the fuck off

• MattM says:

I am with you on this, this kinda stuff is more annoying than cool and is kinda disruptive to the willing suspension of disbelief that Horror and RP games need.

• Nasser says:

@TheApologist

Well said.

• Cooper says:

If that is less in anger and more at the sheer mind-boggling inaneity of the marketing stunt clearly made by a bunch of suits who want a cheap fix to get game coverage without actually adding anything of any real value to the gaming experience.

Then I concur.

I’m just glad I read RPS where this gets reported with the incredulity it deserves. Somewhere else might have taken this to be actually newsworthy.

• Alaric says:

this.QuotedForTruth();

TheApologist says:

@Cooper – yep, I’m generally not given to internet rage and incredulity predominates.

However, there is an undercurrent of annoyance. For all that this is optional in the game, its being out there and publicised does undermine my willingness to buy in to the world – a world I was looking forward to immersing myself in. So, it’s disappointing, it belittles their product, and therefore also annoys me. Now, to my sense of things, it would be an odd sense of entitlement that meant that I went from annoyance to going all ragey over it but I can understand where others are coming from.

Also, someone needs to tell EA’s PRs, in no uncertain terms, to fuck off. ;)

• Basilard says:

I don’t see what’s the problem. It’s not that you have to pay extra for the option to NOT use the armor.

4. Ovno says:

Stoat?

5. Bilbo says:

Looks horrendous. Who do they make these “bonus” armour sets for?

• Sam says:

If you don’t like the armor, don’t wear it? They’re not forcing anything on anyone, I don’t see what all the complaining is about.

• Nidokoenig says:

Look on any modding website for any game, you’ll see hundreds of armours and weapons based on ones from games, films and anime that have no relation to the game the mod is for, and they get thousands of downloads. So EA looking at that and thinking “We want some of that” isn’t so weird.

The pre-order thing is just stupid, though. Games already have an absurdly short commercial life, and all this stuff does is make every game with pre-order content drop sharply in value on day one of release, since it isn’t the full game after that. The pirated copies will still have all the content, though. I thought the big companies want piracy stopped, but apparently not, since they’re so adamant about incentivising it.

• Sam says:

This promotion has nothing to do with pre-ordering.

• Nidokoenig says:

Well, that’s good. Personally, I don’t see why it’s better to only give this stuff to people who buy both, rather than give this to everyone who plays Dragon Age 2 to generate what buzz they can for Dead Space 2. And surely it’d make more sense to implement something like this Mass Effect 2, which will have more crossover with DS2′s demographic, and also get people replaying ME2 and hyping them up for ME3.

6. mandrill says:

I actually read that headline the right way round at first glance. The human brain is a funny thing.

AndrewC says:

I’m all for cross-pollination and social stuff and fourth wall breaking and everything being linked and all the modern buzzwords that suggest the future is moving away from discrete, single games, but surely a long-form single-player super-serious fantasy RPG is at the very opposite end of this social-media spectrum?

Why would you put this stuff in a game such as this, of all things? It’s a big giant CLANG of immersion-breaking in a game people are playing specifically for the immersion?

• SanguineAngel says:

Because EA couldn’t give two bits for immersion or artistic vision. They want synergy gosh darn it. Glorious money spinning synergy!

Actually I would go as far as to say that the money men in the games industry (that’s not to say everyone at EA but certainly some major decision makers) just simply do not understand the medium.

AndrewC says:

Oh gosh I can’t really hold the money thing against them, it’s that ‘not getting it’ that’s so worrying – they have research that suggests this sort of thing is popular, so they try to fit it into every property they have, as this proves they are doing their job well. More importantly, it’s a lazy, ‘helicopter view’, one-size-fits all approach that can undermine the strength of those properties without them even realising. Bad news for good AAA games!

Though as was said below: maybe this works. Maybe this brings in far more money that is lost from grumpusses like us? If it does work then, well, they’re right, we’re wrong. It’s a new age, man.

• Urthman says:

It’s not like the first Dragon Age had any “HEY DO YOU WANT TO BUY MY QUEST FOR ONLY 800 MICROSOFT POINTS?” stuff breaking the immersion.

8. The Great Wayne says:

*sigh*

9. Giant, fussy whingebag says:

Well… for me the baffling part is that they’re quite different games. At least with the Blood Dragon Armour, they were both RPGs. Will anyone actually be convinced to buy both with this, if they weren’t already planning to?

Another thing worth pointing out is that the Blood Dragon Armour was a bonus for both games, whereas this is just for one of them. EDIT: Yeah, I know that you didn’t need to get Mass Effect 2 to get it in DAO, but still…

• Rich says:

“Will anyone actually be convinced to buy both with this”
      With a weary sign and a glance skyward, I would say “probably”.

RedViv says:

Folks, calm down. Nobody is forcing you to use this. It’s an option for people who like this look and seemingly don’t care about immersion. So why bother?

Fede says:

Well, it’s a rather peculiar PR stunt, isn’t it?
      I don’t care, but I think they will spend more in ads than what this move will net them.

11. DeathHamsterDude says:

Wuh!

. . .

Tuh!

. . .

Fuh!

I have been incredibly supportive of Dragon Age 2, even when others weren’t, because Bioware are pretty much the only large studio besides Valve that I trust. I was okay with extra action, the style changes etc. because . . . it’s Bioware. They have my trust. It may not have been exactly how I pictured DA2 to be, but I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Now though . . . first little inkling of apprehension. Not that Dead Space 2 isn’t going to be a good game, but man, I was already getting a little sick and tired of all this pre-order special items and DLC that I know I’ll fracking buy because they have me by my testosto-spheres, but now they’re not even from the same company’s game?

*thinking over mode activated*

• Sam says:

They’re both EA games. And it’s not a pre-order bonus or anything, It’s just an extra armor set if you have both the games. Stop moaning, it’s not like they’re forcing it on you.

• DeathHamsterDude says:

EA is the publisher, not the developer.

And I really don’t think it’s a solid defense on people’s parts to say ‘stop moaning’ or ‘if you don’t want to use it, then you don’t have to’. I appreciate that I have free will, and that I don’t have to use it. But you’re saying that people should only be allowed to make positive comments about these products, is that it? I see no problem in expressing that I find something like this to be . . . a little vulgar. Why should I not be allowed to put that view forward in a public forum such as RPS? They are two very different games, and it breaks the immersion that is vital to an RPG like DA2. It is also a symptom that is indicative of problems with AAA gaming as a whole in the last few years. This idea that business execs such as Bobby Fucking Kotick et al. have to squeeze every last penny out of gamers. And I wouldn’t begrudge them their money (or gamers for buying it, if they so please), if it weren’t for the fact that they are pillaging independent developers, crushing competition, developing to the lowest common denominator. and creating situations where new and interesting IP’s find it impossible to get developed because of the new policy of serializing gaming.

Also, I was under no illusion that it was a pre-order set. I was merely putting it under the same umbrella statement as to how I feel about pre-order items and DLC.

So please, stop your moaning about OUR moaning. I’ve been playing Bioware games since the mid-nineties, and I trust their development team. I have no doubt that this cross-pollination of IP’s was not their choice, but rather bigwigs at EA who have no understanding of or respect for gaming culture. And THAT, far more than Isaac’s armour in DA2, is what I’m angry about.

And hey! I’m probably going to buy Dead Space 2 anyway. I’m also thinking of getting Total War: Shogun 2, but I wouldn’t want the opportunity, nor think it appropriate, to get a set of Samurai armour for Isaac Clarke to wear. Funny and cool as it may be, all the game I’d be just thinking, ‘why in fuck’s name is Isaac wearing a set of Samurai armour on a space ship in the future?’ and most likely it would take my attention away from the survival-horror aspect of the game.

• Sam says:

You’re completely correct on most fronts. I agree with you about all the problems gaming has had over the last few years including Bobby Kotick et al. All I’m saying is I don’t think that this falls under that category of DRM/pre-order bonus/choose what weapon you get by buying it from different shops etc etc…

I just don’t think it’s fair for people to be hating on EA for trying to advertise their games with something that doesn’t even effect you if you don’t want it to.

• DeathHamsterDude says:

Well, I don’t disagree with this as much as DRM etc., but I do think it a little crass on their part. Firstly, their advertising budget must be HUGE for both games, I’m not sure they needed this to rope in players. I know that what they were doing was essentially free/very cheap to them, and the opportunity must have been something that made their advertising department drool over their desks. And I wouldn’t blame them for that. However, execs and admen mostly think in little green monies, and nothing else. I think that something like this cheapens both IPs’ integrity’s considerably. DA and DS are not in the same universe, one is a fantasy RPG, and the other a futuristic survival-horror. They are completely seperate entities. The ONLY thing linking them together in any way is this publishing company called EA. And I don’t think that is a significant enough reason to do something like this. At the end of the day, I don’t think we’re going to agree on this. I can understand your point of view, but I think you’re taking this too lightly. I’m just worried about these super-entities called EA and Activision, and perhaps one day Electrivision, or ActiArts. I think it’s a slippery slope, and I think that a publishing company should have as little as possible to do with the development side as possible. I don’t think anything good comes of it besides lining their pockets a little more. Which I could understand in a lot of other businesses, but at the end of the day, games are art, they may be a very rudimentary form of art right now, but art nonetheless. And yes, art has its patrons. I’m going to make a very over the top example here. But, could you imagine respecting Vincent Van Gogh or Edvard Munch anywhere near as much if the character from The Scream (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scream) was painted into the foreground of The Starry Night (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Starry_Night) just because they had the same benefactor of the arts? It seems a little unbelievable, and that’s how it should be really.

12. Maxheadroom says:

I had the DA armor in Mass Effect 2 but never used it. Having the main characters face completely obscured during all the conversation bits ruined the character.

The exact opposite of Judge Dread when you think about it

Fatbubba says:

Indeed. I tried it on once and it had me going straight back to change back my armor and never touch it again.

Sadly though, stuff like this probably still works. There’s plenty of people who must have every item they can get and some who even pre-order games multiple times through different avenues, just to get all the different pre-order bonuses.

• Lilliput King says:

I wore the diplomacy enhancing mask that made the character look like a malevolent space wasp because I am addicted to min/maxing. I called it DEATH MASK.

DEATH MASK

edit: apparently it was actually called death mask. mm.

13. Dominic White says:

It looks kinda weird, but I think it looks less garish than the Blood Dragon armor from DA1.

Either way, though, I’m just not interested – preorder bonus items are often best chucked out because they mess with play balance.

• Optimaximal says:

In fairness, the armour will only be available to characters with a ‘high dexterity and cunning’, so we’re either looking at high-level/endgame armour or a character build compromise to wear it.

Of course, that could just be cunning marketing.

• Ludden says:

Probably only means that it is aimed at rogues – nothing else.

14. Jonathan says:

It must have worked for the Dragon Age/ME2 Blood Dragon Armor or they wouldn’t be doing it again. It worked because people are idiots and their opinions cannot be trusted.

15. clive dunn says:

I buy a packet of jaffa cakes, i don’t want no fucking fig rolls in there.
    And vice versa.

• Jonathan says:

Fucking hell, well played.

AndrewC says:

Though I would like it if custard creams alternated with bourbons in a packet.

• DeathHamsterDude says:

For some very strange reason, your post reminded me of the milkshake quote from There WIll Be Blood.

Here, if you have jaffa cakes, and I have jaffa cakes, and I have a hand. There it is, that’s my hand, you see? You watching?. And my hand reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to eat your jaffa cakes . . . I . . . eat . . . your . . . jaffa cakes!

*munching sounds*

I eat them up!

I would like to mention that the armour DOES actually look far better than the Blood Dragon armour from DA1, it’s just the idea of it I don’t like.

• Ian says:

Well in this day and age they wouldn’t be able to slip secret fig rolls anyway, so if you DID get a packet of glorious Jaffa Cakes that had some odious fig rolls mixed in then it’d probably be your fault.

And you’d smell of figs.

James G says:

I’m with others on this, buh? I mean, it doesn’t look as terrible as I had first expected on seeing Bioware’s tweet, but at the same time, I t certainly wouldn’t influence my purchasing decisions. (If I did use it, I’d probably drop the helmet, assuming such a thing were possible.)

17. Sky says:

The armor looks good though.

Jerricho says:

“a Sims Dragon Age Bad Company Dead Space Need For Speed Fifa Spore Harry Potter Mass Effect Crysis game?”
    Surely such a conflagration would cause the universe to locally fold in upon itself under the focused rage of fanboys?

*First post today… was posted too quickly appearantly*

19. Dominic White says:

Whole lotta disproportionate anger going on in this comments thread. It’s an entirely optional suit of slightly doofy-looking armor, vaguely modelled after the suit in Dead Space 2. Don’t want it? Then I doubt the game will stop you from immediately chucking it out at the start of the game.

James G says:

With the exception of TheApologist, I’m not seeing any anger, just a lot of bemusement.

• Sam says:

Even easier, just throw away the piece of paper with the code for the armor on it when you buy DS2. It’s something you actually have to register for and people are complaining that they don’t want it?? JUST DON’T ACTIVATE IT THEN! Some of the comments in this thread are ridiculous. Half of them even think it’s a pre-order bonus, did they even watch the video?

EA are giving people who buy their games something cool which is completely optional for free, and people are ripping into them. Makes no sense.

20. terry says:

Because store exclusive DLC didn’t make sense, we have a whole new thing that makes no sense. Bravo, EA!

21. HexagonalBolts says:

‘crashing through the fourth wall like a confused rhinoceros’ Please please please may I use this sentence in my next university literature exam?

22. kyleh says:

Who is impressed by this?

Colthor says:

Who comes up with this stuff?

24. BrendanJB says:

Holy crap what’s with all the crying?

EA present an OPTIONAL code for people who like both games to bring them together if they so choose, and all you can do is harp on about how it “doesn’t make sense” or “it shouldn’t be in there”.

You know, maybe I could understand if you were complaining about the fact that they are withholding content for the sake of sales, but you don’t even WANT the damn thing.

If you don’t want the armour, then don’t use the friggen code. It’s not exactly fucking rocket surgery.

Yeesh.

• GHudston says:

What he said.

• HexagonalBolts says:

I personally am not hugely upset, but I guess most people are because this armour is giving us a representation of the developer/publisher’s approach as a whole, and it’s not a very nice one: where publicising their own brands takes precedence over immersion, and where time that would have otherwise been spent developing the actual product is presumably cut down in favour of producing things like in game advertising.

• Starky says:

+1 To Brendan

All this bitching for an optional bonus is pathetic.

• Sam says:

I’m trying hard to stop myself replying to everyone in this thread saying what you just said. PC gamers, I am disappoint.

25. DrunkDog says:

Horse Space Armour.

• Optimaximal says:

So that’s Space Armour for a Horse, as opposed to Space Horse Armour, which is Armour for a Space Horse.

Semantics!

26. Mxmlln says:

DLC and shit like this are ruining games in my opinion.

27. Unaco says:

From the first few seconds of this video… Is this game so corrupting, so twisted, so ready-to-be-discussed-on-FOX-News-because-it-has-Elf-sex, that they had to rate it twice? Or is that a rating for each of the two games (DA2:TFotG & DS2:WIWPSGICaMTJO?)?

I see they both have ‘Blood & Gore’, while only one has ‘Sexual content’… but the other makes up for that with ‘Strong Language’ (not just ‘Language’ – do any games NOT have language? Tetris maybe?) and ‘Intense Violence’ and not the run of the mill, everyday ‘Violence’. I’m sure there’s some sort of joke here involving the lyrics to ‘Everything Zen’ by Bush… But I’m too lazy to think of it. Kind of like the person who had this idea.

28. Flappybat says:

Is this really RPS quality news? It’s not very noteworthy.

Oozo says:

What’s the big deal?
    I mean, Super Meat Boy did it, and nobody moaned there!
    (Except for Kieron, of course, who’s a big moaner anyway).

• Mr_Day says:

Nah, Meat boy just included characters from other games – you didn’t have to own those games to play as the character.

30. Tei says:

This will have…. CATS ASTROFIC effects on LORE. This changes, every, thing. This means now the world in Dragon Age is on the Dead Space universe!, and maybe the dark spawns in DA are just a manifestation of the deadmorphs on DS. … but not only that, it means that magic exist in Dead Space, and that the dude in Dead Space 2, can somehow get in bed with Morrigan!. ** SPOILERS** This has broeken my immersion field!, sense!.

• Optimaximal says:

Tei wins the thread… again o_O

• Fumarole says:

I read that last word as sensei. Now I am kinda sad that it is not the word used.

• RegisteredUser says:

Well at least it hasn’t broken your still impeccable english.

31. Pijama says:

Awww, for fuck’s sake…

32. Flint says:

Never really understood the point of these things. The pre-order bonus gear is usually fairly overpowered which kills character progression, especially if you use it on the first playthrough. That’s not fun, is it?

• Pijama says:

THIS.

I don’t get why they still bother balancing the game just so to give a pre-order item that breaks it, eats it then proceeds to crap it in your general direction.

• Sam says:

THIS IS NOT A PRE-ORDER BONUS HOLY SHIT HOW OFTEN DO I HAVE TO REPLY INSIDE THIS THREAD GAAAAAAAAAAAH!

• Chris D says:

Pre-order or not isn’t really the point. It’s an item that you obtain through actions unrelated to actually playing the game that damages balance and/or immersion.

Sure, you don’t have to use it but it’s still effectively junk mail for many people.

• Alastayr says:

@Sam
      I agree man. Holy fuck this place has gone to hell. So much threadshitting from illiterate lamestains.

@Chris D
      Go sell the code on eBay if it bothers you that much. The Blood Dragon Armor was hardly unbalancing. In DA:O it was barely Top 5 material and in ME2 it’s only really useful for heavy casters (Adepts) on Hardcore / Insanity.

Personally I think it’s rad, but I wasn’t planning on picking up DS2 so that’s that.

• Sobric says:

Say it again Sam.

@Alastayr

“So much threadshitting from illiterate lamestains.”

Hm.

33. jackflash says:

Bioware is so dead to me at this point.

shoptroll says:

Meh.

At least with the Mass Effect 2 / DA cross-over promotion it made some sense. Both games were the same developer and tied together by a common RPG bond as well.

The way they’ve handled the promotional campaign for DA2 has me nervous about the actual game. It really feels like they’re going well out of their way to make sure people put down their money before the reviews come in.

EDIT: Was the Dragon Blood Armor code time-sensitive or a limited time promotion? I thought it was part of the Project $10 for that game.

EDIT 2: Checked on Steam. Can still get the Dragon Blood Armor code with new copies of DA:O. PC Gamer says this promotion runs until 3/31. Bad form EA.

• Inarborat says:

x a million It made sense with them. Bioware even said, “Hey ME fans, we’ve got this other rpg we think you might like. Here’s a small incentive to check it out.”

It’s like when movies don’t get screened for critics before release…something foul is afoot. The whole Signature Edition already soured me on the game, the release day DLC, and each subsequent dev. diary has done the same. DA2 looks like the game Bioware falters on. Bland characters all around and offensive marketing from them/EA.

35. Dworgi says:

ITT: countless EA apologists

36. JohnnyMaverik says:

Eh… no -_-

37. Harley Turan says:

So, Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Dead Space take place in the same universe. Dead Space is set in 2508 and Mass Effect is set in 2183. Since Earth still exists in Dead Space, we know that it isn’t destroyed in Mass Effect 3.

What a shame.

• Jeremy says:

They didn’t even give us a **SPOILER ALERT**, real classy EA. Real Classy.

Eric says:

There’s a fair amount of “quit complaining, they’re not forcing anything on you” in the comments, but I don’t hear anybody pretending that they’re being forced to buy anything. I hear a lot of people concerned that this appears to be the work of a publisher stepping in and directing the efforts of a beloved developer for rather crass and senseless marketing purposes.

In what way is that not a valid thing to be concerned about? People love Bioware. They want Bioware to have autonomy to decide what things they work on, and what they put in their games. They don’t want to see that freedom stepped on in order that EA should pull in a few more bucks for some out-of-place promotional content.

That all seems pretty predictable and reasonable to me.

• JFS says:

It does. But there’s always people around that don’t want to invest energy into critical thinking. It sure is more convenient to complain, then complain about the complainers, then file a complaint about complainers complaining of complainers and then argue around some more, although it might at some point lead to your head imploding. Until then, however, it IS more convenient.

• BrendanJB says:

Do you really think them making a single skin for their game is EA stepping in to Bioware and taking control, or redirecting efforts on the game? What evidence has been shown up to this point that that is even a possibility? It probably took 2 people less than 5 hours to create and implement this model and texture.

And how do you know the artists/designers didn’t think including Isaac would be a fun idea, much like the crossover armour of DA and ME2? Lots of people like Dead Space, and if I were making a game and had the opportunity to pay homage because my publisher owned the IP, I would totally do the same thing.

Comments like “Bioware is dead to me” and “shit like this is ruining games”, are just ridiculous. Gamers complain way too fucking much. That’s the only problem here. Not the armour.

Eric says:

“Do you really think them making a single skin for their game is EA stepping in to Bioware and taking control, or redirecting efforts on the game?”

No idea. I certainly think it’s possible. It’s also possible, as you say, that the Bioware guys thought it’d be fun and wanted to do it. Either way, while I agree that “Bioware is dead to me” is hyperbolic nonsense, I don’t see any problem with people raising an eyebrow at something that does seem very much out of place, nor would I expect them to do anything else.

39. Hoaxfish says:

So, when is actual information about the game going to start overwhelming all this questionably “cool & interesting” promotional stuff?

I mean, they’ve said stuff about the game (e.g. don’t worry guys, the PC version hasn’t had a root-canal via the rectum), but they seem to be blasting a lot of chaff into the air in the hopes we get distracted by the sparkly lights.

40. RandomEngy says:

I’m going to make a fighter just so I can have Isaac kill a dragon.

As for people complaining that it would break immersion: I you can’t figure out how to NOT enter an unlock code, I don’t know what to do with you.

• neolith says:

You might want to look up, what immersion actually means.

• Schmitzkater says:

I am looking up. I see the sky.

I also don’t know how he failed to understand immersion. If you do not enter any code then there is nothing in the game that breaks your immersion, so that’s that.

41. Meneldil says:

Honestly, at the end of the day, nothing makes sense when it comes to Dragon Age II.

42. Sarkhan Lol says:

Excellent, more game-breaking cash shop bullshit for the DA/ME franchise. If we buy DARKSPORE do we get the DARKSPORE~N SLAYER, a weapon better than anything the endgame has to offer that also strikes three times for every one if you’re fighting Darkspawn? (Darkspore~n slayer only available for collection in Frightenfurt Castle, the one-note DLC quest area that gives you the exclusive ‘best ending’, the Blood Geyser ability and unlocks your companions bisexual tendencies)

43. Jamesworkshop says:

I like the idea but I think the armour is quite ugly

44. RegisteredUser says:

Interesting.

And I thought they would never come up with new IQ / gullibility tests.