Mount & Blade Gets Fires & Swords & Guns

By Jim Rossignol on January 21st, 2011 at 7:53 pm.

Hrm, we somehow missed Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword getting announced yesterday. It’s a new Mount and Blade game! Yes it is. This time it’s set in a “new century of warfare that brings pistols, muskets, grenades, and other advanced weaponry to the battlefield.” There will also be weapon and armour customization, new economic systems, new quest types, and “ferocious” new multiplayer elements. We do not use the word “ferocious” enough. Please make a note to use it more in the future.

Hey look, I even found some footage of this game. (Cheers to Kad for heads up on this one, who also points to this… is this game already out in Eastern Europe or something? What gives?)

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Henk says:

I saw something about this on tvtropes a month or so ago. Apparantly a special polish version came heavily modded by default, called “Ogniem i Mieczem”.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MountAndBlade (scroll down to “Game mod”)

So basicaly it’s an official mod for mount and blade, before only released in a (not exported) special polish edition.

• Maslaw says:

It was released by CDProjekt, but not is even near the Witcher’s quality. It’s a bug-infested mess, and basically nothing more than a change of environment, no big updates. Better hope it will get changed a bit before the international release, otherwise it is going to be a flop.

It doesn’t have multi neither because it’s a mod to the original game, not Warband (possible port to Warband may change this though). User score on Gry-online.pl (the biggest polish gaming site) is 6.6 out of 10, so not that great.

• Kaira- says:

TV TROPES? WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?

It’s not like I had any plans today or anything.

• Mister Yuck says:

That explains the title then. For anyone who doesn’t know (probably everyone who doesn’t have Polish roots) “With Fire and Sword” is one of trilogy of classic novels by Henryk Sienkiewicz. I highly, highly recommend them.

I hope I can recruit Zagłoba into my party.

• scottossington says:

Its getting released with special Polish polish

• Selifator says:

I see what you did there.

2. coldvvvave says:

Wasn’t it released like two years ago in Russia?

3. Kadayi says:

Guns……

*Blank stare*

How about Mount & Blade: Hyboria instead? Personally when I’m charging down fools with a battle axe in my hand…I’m not thinking a flintlock I would be a great trade up right around now, I’m thinking about the lamentations of their women, as I cleave them to the bone. CROM!!!

4. Doesntmeananything says:

It was also released in Russia. This one, however, seems to be an enhanced version with multiplayer elements not seen in Warband and most likely some additions to the singleplayer.

5. McDan says:

Ferocious indeed.

6. terry says:

The volume level is certainly ferocious.

7. snitchy says:

i hope they made it so you can kill kings/faction leaders. I always felt a little cheated that I did all that conquering of a Kingdom, but the King was still alive in the aether.

8. nayon says:

I want something like Mount&Blade 2142.

It’s cool how this game is made by a bunch of Turkish people. Represent!

• Jhoosier says:

I believe that would be called Mechwarrior. Which, put in a M&B-style world, would be awesome.

• RegisteredUser says:

What we need is a game about Elementals ( http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Elemental_(Battle_Armor) ), where you can fight against actual scale battlemechs and literally “deface” the cockpit and stabbystab the pilot in the face.

It would tie in neatly with flying, jumping, FPSing, RPGing, and you could force a convoluted or overly simplistic plot onto it as well. Therefore I am extremely amazed nobody has had this idea for a PC game before.

• -Spooky- says:

What we need is a damn mechwarrior universe mmo. fights with mechs, support from ground units, craft n trade like EvE .. and pls, all factions – of course.

• Reapy says:

Hey registered user, maybe check out the crysis mod, mech warrior living legends. I haven’t fired it up yet via reading up on it i gleen that you begin in elemental armor and earn money to purchase mechs later on. There were some videos showing how if the mech pilot doesn’t play correctly and the elmentals are swarming one they can still take them down. Anyway even if you youtube it you should be able to find some elemental vs mech gameplay.

9. Jockie says:

Have they learned nothing from the ferocious indifference of fans when Total War replaced the fun bits with men standing in lines with muskets?!

10. Mr_Hands says:

EXCITED.

11. Jimbo says:

I want Mount & Blade: Pirates!

12. Torgen says:

How about Romance of the Three Mount and Blades?

Back to the announced game, the fact that there are Mongol horse archers in the game concerns me. How can you balance against them, or making playing anything else enticing?

• Kandon Arc says:

The Horse archers are nothing new to this expansion but to be honest they’re largely balanced by skill. It’s very hard to be accurate as a horse archer and if you go around firing randomly in a melee like that you’re very likely to kill a teammate. Most players will also have the sense to buy shields which help a lot. Horse archers tend to be very easy to catch by surprise in those kind of fights as well as they often don’t look where they’re going.

It’s not perfect; you can still be in a fight and get killed by an arrow to the head out of nowhere, but most deaths in M&B tend to come out of nowhere – an axe to the back, or some horseman running you down with a lance – it’s one of the things I love about the multiplayer.

13. Enzo says:

This game already came out in Eastern Europe more than a year ago. From what I heard, it was a buggy unfinished piece of crap.

14. BeamSplashX says:

Is a shield & pistol combo impractical?

LA LA LA CAN’T HEAR YOU LA LA LA.

15. Merlkir says:

The video is from the previous WFAS game, which was built on the MaB engine. This new one is based on Warband. Basically they’re selling the total conversion again, on a newer engine with multiplayer.

16. Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Jim, imagine all the things you could have done in the time it took you to write this post. Imagine them.

What I’m saying is, don’t trust games based on Eastern-European novels, unless they are good.

Here you go. Good night!

17. dadioflex says:

I am a Thirty Years War whore… please hand me a pistol and a sword. No! Other way about.

18. MrWednesday says:

I hop they fix some of the stuff that was broken in the original and Warband. I remember finishing a quest only for the “quest finish dialog” to be TODO:(add dialog here) :(

19. Horza says:

Doesn’t quite look like the “Sharpe: The Game” I’ve been waiting for.

20. RegisteredUser says:

This game needs new textures, more polys, a fast travel option(I have already edited the config myself to be 3x as fast in gamespeed on global map) and 1-2 more ideas for another swing type and a way to prevent the total imba tipover of the whole game once you have a band of 100+ swadian knights who do all the fighting for you. And a couple of other things so that after the initial phase of 2 weeks of full on yay how awesome playing you don’t end up with the “ok now what”.

But not muskets.

• RegisteredUser says:

Yea I know all these community “improvement” packs, graphics and sound alike.
      I was not talking about the – although also utterly bland and boring – landscape and surroundings, but mostly the models and “actors”, weapons and horses, etc.
      I.e. anything related to the closeup fighting.
      Also I want the people I paid for to make the game great/better, not have it/them rely solely on the modding community instead and only make any sort of effort if it can be re-sold as a “totally new and exciting” expansion.

Also: textures alone do not mean much if the poly count remains doable with one hand. :P

21. EBass says:

Hmmmmm I can’t see much in the video that distinguishes it from any mere mod but I could be wrong.

I hope they’ll do M&B multiplayer as it SHOULD be done some day i.e multiplayer campaign, the game mechanics of Mount and Blade lend themselves perfectly to it, though you’d need pretty hefty bandwidth and possibly more than one server to do it justice.

Game needs better AI, more complex interpersonal relationships, larger unit count in battles (I know theres mods that allow this but they are very unstable).

I love the Eastern European devs as much as the next man, hell probably MORE than the next man seeing as I adore Arma, Stalker, IL2, M&B etc etc but theres a real propensity among them to update things endlessly with new features upon new features in the same engine and envionment rather than fixing or addressing flaws in the core game itself (see Stalker, Arma, IL2 and M&B for examples)

22. Okami says:

When the video started with what looked like a bog standard mount and blade cavalry charge comprised of models that looked no different than anything you’d usually see in a M&B game, I expected some kind of twist, like the cavalry charge beeing torn to shreds by volleys of musket fire.

Instead the video showed a typical cavalry battle, with slightly reskinned enemy models and some musket fire that you could only hear but not see.

Colour me disappointed.

23. EBass says:

To be honest I can’t see many players using muskets, I mean bows fire faster and are presumably more accurate. I can just see them as being an even more irritating “You were randomly smacked in the head with a friggin javelin and died.”

24. Dozer says:

Mount & Blade! Haven’t played it for ages. This video just seemed to show how much better the author is at horse-archery than I could ever be, and they seem to have added some extra ‘oh you deaded me again’ voices sampled from very old war films or possibly from Ben Hur.

On that note, why hasn’t anyone modded in the Wilhelm scream yet?

25. Dozer says:

Dear RPS: STOP EATING MY COMMENTS.

26. Flaringo says:

MOUNT AND GUN!

27. hosndosn says:

They should really fix those mountains in the background looking so incredibly bad. It’s the main reason everyone says the game looks bad when in fact it does all the technical trickery of modern AAA games.

Comment on this story