The First Image From PlanetSide Next

By Jim Rossignol on January 22nd, 2011 at 2:50 pm.

It’s only a render of a tank, but: it’s a render of a New Conglomerate tank! And that means PlanetSide Next has the NC tank in it. And I glean from that we are looking at a straight update/remake/relaunch with a graphics overhaul? Hmm. Something like that. The image was twitted by SOE bossman John Smedley yesterday. Okay, that’s all I got. Thanks to everyone who sent this in.

, , .

1. Quasar says:

I’m more excited about this than I thought.

Heh, I remember that the TR tank had a little flap in the front where the third gunner went.

2. coldvvvave says:

Looks a bit like Merkava 3.

Devenger says:

I want to gal drop again like it’s 2005. SOE, make this game work, please.

4. fearian says:

That looks terrible for a commercial project like planetside. Seriously. What is that a 256 texture map with no normals on a 3000 tri model? It’s 2011 for fucks sake – this looks like first year student work.

It’s ugly.

• skurmedel says:

It’s also an MMO. There are reasons why WoW has like 30 polygons for a tree trunk.

• Shatners Bassoon says:

Aye, but from the current state of the MMO market I’m guessing they are going to go F2P and for a free MMOFPS with a massive playing field and a fair few people on it I expect to suffer in the graphics department.

• Lacero says:

It’s been soaked in next gen grease too.

• Xerxes17 says:

Graphics are not, and never have been, the be all and end all indicator of a game’s quality level. In this case, I’d welcome a lower graphical level as it would allow for things like more people being able to play it, longer draw distances or more time spent on the gameplay.

• tungstenHead says:

I like that they thought to put some gratuitous rust between the armor panels. I dislike that they forgot to put a realistic amount of blood on the front bumper.

• Neut says:

I know! What is this like 2008? This is obviously gonna be the worst game of all time.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Your mum is the worst game of all time.

• IkarugaShiver says:

@Jim I’m pretty sure Neut was being sarcastic. I thought the use of the word “obviously” after providing only “What is this like 2008?” as reasoning made it pretty… well, obvious.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Your mum is obvious.

(I can’t help it. I am sorry.)

• Quasar says:

Your mum is sorry.

• Sleepymatt says:

^ +1 internets for Quasar.. this made me lol :P

Biscuitry says:

Looks all right to me. Not sure what you’re complaining about.

• fearian says:

I want to clarify: I don’t mean to say that graphics make a game, I mean good art makes a large portion of a game. And this is kinda bad art.

More to the point, it seems a bit cheap to ‘reveal’ something that would take a fan a few hours to make as the first screenshot of your newly revamped cult IP. It smacks to me at least, that not as much attention is being put towards this game as fans deserve, or Planetside deserves.

5. The Great Wayne says:

It’s a Vanguard, it’s meant to be ugly.

Still, i’d take PS with graphical overhaul before a weird remake.

6. MrSpandex says:

I think I’ll miss Planetside’s relatively spotless paint jobs compared to this grimy thing, but who really cares about graphics?

I’m starting to believe…

7. Greg Wild says:

I’d be quite happy for it to just be an overhaul of PS really, so long as that includes some updates to prevent hacking and such like. At least if it is just that, it should in theory improve on what we know is a good game already, just in need of a little attention.

8. bascule42 says:

Wow…it’s a tank.

9. Gaff says:

I just fapped a little.

Looks like the Vanguard got an overhaul.

As to criticism of the model itself, it could well be a publicity shot or some low-quality render for use outside of the game.

10. GenBanks says:

Count me curious..

11. Tei says:

/happy dance

12. Ralud says:

I hope they forget to implement caves and walking tanks.

13. pagad says:

Warhammer 40,000 called, they want their Shadowsword back.

14. Nilokey says:

I’m hoping the TR Prowler variant won’t look like a VW beetle

15. Sardaukar says:

I don’t care about these tanks. Give me an updated Fury ATV so I can shoot… right. More slow tank targets please!

16. three says:

From the art direction, at least, it looks like PS:N is on track with the aesthetics of the previous game. Going by this, the TR tank is going to have 7 gunnery stations and the Vanu tank will just be an oxcart painted shiny purple with a laser pointer duct-taped to it.

17. bit_crusherrr says:

http://www.io.eclipse.co.uk/horosopes.html Mike33′s horrorscopes, instant nostalgia.

18. Nomaki says:

As long as the Magrider still pilots like it used to, then I’m happy.
    Spent many years perfecting my Magridering, hopefully it doesn’t turn into a purple Vanguard or something.

19. Rei Onryou says:

The geek in me desires this too much. It’s about time we re-ignited the blog wars!

20. Songbearer says:

Well, tanks for the image!

Planetside is a game I would have loved to play, but I was a wee child at the time and explaining to my parents that I’d need their credit card for a game would have made their heads explode. I’m definetly looking forward to a chance to have a go at it this time round, I’m suprised that the idea of open futuristic warfare hasn’t really been done since.

21. RobJamesonTR says:

Sometimes I really lose all hope in humanity, when the first Planetside came out it destroyed PC’s and internet connections and even today you get pretty bad performance. Do you REALLY think a game which can have 50 tanks in a good raid with 450 people fighting in one area can have T3h b3st graphics EVAR. Seriously they make the graphics average/good and people moan about performance, they make graphics relatively good (Hey I think it looks fine, just a low res pic) and people cry about the graphics being crap. Planetside was just an all-round great game, that’s why I still played it until very recently, what killed it was the devs adding unbalanced BS like BFR’s that the playerbase never asked for nor wanted.

If you want the average PC to be anywhere near capable of running the game the graphics are gonna have to be below the top class at least, if not below average. Jeez just look at WoW it looks like shit and still its the most popular game.

As for the tank it’s a vanguard, I played planetside from 2003-2010 and you can see the obvious 150mm cannon of the vanguard along with the dual 20mm coaxial recoilless cannons and its general low profile. It looks like its got a gritty reboot and its lost its bright white/gold colour scheme and gained grey/blue, this is INCREDIBLY important information.

1) The NC are in the game, logically that means that the old empires are still there, good.

2) The units are probably gonna be similar, but with a more realistic/modern reboot, this version of the vanguard looks far more like a proper MBT than the other, it has a large long barrelled cannon, it’s no longer massively wide and has a much bigger central turret and looks pretty mean which is good. I’m a fan of the design however as a TR player I hope the Prowler is made to look less like a fat cake and more like a deadly tank.

3) If the NC is present then the battle must be on auraxis or post-auraxis as they were formed on the planet. If the NC exist the TR must exist since they are the only reason the NC exist, however the setting is not necessarily auraxis. The new picture shows a much higher tech battletank that looks less makeshift than the Vanguard of olde, I reasoned that the vehicles in Planetside were so makeshift because basically everyone on the planet were scientists and civillian explorers so they just cobbled together what they could, this tank looks like it is an actual MBT that is in general service. Perhaps Earth got into contact with Auraxis and reinforcements arrived, the NC and VS have garnered support from the opressed peoples of Earth and the Terran Republic has a full blown war/uprising going on, centred on Auraxis and trying to gain full control of the respawning technology/nanotechnology.

4) Finally perhaps the grey colour isn’t for aesthetics, maybe its a camoflague for Urban terrain, what if Auraxis has been built up by extra colonisation, or maybe there is war in the devastated suburbs of an Earth based megalopolis