The Sunday Papers

By Jim Rossignol on January 23rd, 2011 at 11:00 am.

Sundays were once the day of rest, but they are now the day of leisure. Not the same thing, by my measure. But then there’s not really any time to rest, is there? Tick, tick, and all that. Let’s get on with it.

• Igor Hardy interviews the chap behind Space Funeral, which attentive readers will recall Quintin getting excited about last year. It’s a charming chat: “I’ve never really felt the urge to make films or comics because for me there’s always a sense of those things having rules or a point or a set of guidelines behind them. I couldn’t make movies because my experience of them is so tied up with ideas of what length they should be, what they should be about, protagonists and antagonists and three-act structures and all that garbage. With games there isn’t really that feeling at all. It’s like uncharted territory in that there is still a lot of scope to just do whatever you want and not really care if it fits some preexisting criteria of what a game should be.” Or at least, that’s how we should feel about games.
  • Strongman Games’ Erlend Grefsrud has written about mechs, a topic which him to say things like this: “If you’re a developer, let your game be a symphony of implication, fiction, agency and empowerment (the gratification of successful effort, not just embodiment of a warrior or all-powerful technocrat) that is above all concerned with the honesty of the relationship between fiction and system.” It’s quite the thing.
  • The tale of The Oregon Trail: “the Oregon Trail has sold over 65 million copies worldwide, becoming the most widely distributed educational game of all time. Market research done in 2006 found that almost 45 percent of parents with young children knew Oregon Trail, despite the fact that it largely disappeared from the market in the late ’90s.”
  • The PCGA (that’s the industry body, the PC Gaming Alliance) has a new president, Matt Ployhar, and he’s been interviewed over on Bitgamer. He says this: “We’re in a marathon, not a sprint, and there are no instant fixes for some of the things we’d like to tackle next. PC gaming is an extremely dynamic ecosystem, and there’s a definite need to update the definitions of what a PC is, and who PC gamers are. We’ll be a lot more transparent moving forward. I believe we’ve been holding our cards a bit too closely, and frankly that doesn’t serve us or the ecosystem very well. It also seems to spool off into all sorts of speculation.”
  • Here’s a useful thing. The “No Added Sugar” blog has rounded up all the TED talks that are directly relevant to gaming. I suspect most Sunday Papers folks will have seen all of these, but you can always forward it on to others in attempt to look clever.
  • Worryingly slow-progressing space game/engine Infinity has apparently had a good year. I say apparently because they’ve recently blogged about their progress. It’s the first meaty update we’ve had from them in quite some time. Crucial bit: “We’ve also decided to revise our strategy. Until now, our goal was to release the first version of Infinity, not necessarily feature-complete, and to later sell engine licenses. The priorities have changed slightly. Development of Infinity has gone under a lower priority while we work to get the I-Novae Engine production ready. Overall we see this as a benefit to you, the community, as when it’s ready we would like to release a public toolset so that everyone can explore the possibilities opened up by our planetary engine and begin creating their own universes.”
  • “Penetration issue” made me guffaw, but this is actually a useful little opinion piece on the Unity engine. Which I am using for my own games, incidentally.
  • Robert Yang’s Dark Past Part 2 is here. It’s really worth reading for the considerations on level design, you’ll just have to use your mind to imagine away the fact that half the paragraphs begin “…”.
  • Popmatters’ Kris Ligman discusses the awesome One Chance.
  • Eurogamer studies the case for 3D gaming on the PC.
  • A gnashing of teeth can be heard as the console industry begins to realise that it has a piracy problem. The BBC wrote a news article about it here, which is a bit alarmist, to be honest. “Lost billions” is always hot air when there’s no sign of the billions in the first place, isn’t it?
  • A musical thing made from Fallout 3.
  • Nicholas Lovell asks “What is a social game?” And various industry types answer him.

And perhaps some music to finish? Why not. I’ve been listening to this (UPBEAT!) and this (DOWNBEAT!). Okay.

1. Kadayi says:

I love me some http://www.ted.com (though the http://www.longnow.org/seminars/podcast/ comes a close second)

However under the (admittedly less than obvious) tag search there’s a few more game related lectures than the ‘no added sugar’ guy found: -

• jamesdilks says:

Thanks for the heads up. If I update the original story, thereby making your comment redundant, will you forgive me?

• Kadayi says:

I don’t see why not ;)

2. Spinoza says:

Nice tunes. thanks

3. dadioflex says:

Awesome? When did that start meaning average? So hard to keep up with the terms you young folks use.

Oh, pointless splitting game or “non”-game TED talks. They’re ALL game talks, but some are for games that haven’t been written yet.

4. choconutjoe says:

“A musical thing made from Fallout 3. ”

Hate to be a pedant, but it’s F:NV.

5. Sam says:

Apox was released recently and is 33% off on Steam. Anyone have any opinions on it?

• PleasingFungus says:

I played a bit of the multiplayer beta a few weeks ago. It’s extremely low budget, but kind of charming, in a grim post-apocalyptic kind of way. Still not sure I’d recommend that anyone actually put down dosh for it.

(One of the basic units is a police car with a flamethrower mounted on top, if that helps.)

EDIT: And I’m pre-empted by someone who’s played quite a lot more than I have! Curses.

6. Doesntmeananything says:

A little remark: that musical thing was actually made from Fallout: New Vegas.

Loved the music choices this Sunday (um, excluding the aforementioned Fallout opus), thank you very much!

7. Lilliput King says:

That Fallout thing is pretty much what I imagine hell to sound like.

• Chopper says:

From nothingness, High Horse, back on top of this
      Big iron, big boss, aim deadly.
      Aim for the oesophagus.
      Ooooh, yuck!
      Stay out of the crosshairs, fuck!
      Brrr, it’s cold
      Take em to school…old!

• Mr_Day says:

No you don’t want nada
      None of this, six gun in this, brotha runnin this,
      Buffalo soldier, look it’s like I told ya
      Any damsel that’s in distress
      Be out of that dress when she meet Jim West

Oh. I am terribly sorry. I thought we were doing a thing.

• Oddtwang of Dork says:

A deadly attack, you watch your back
      The enemy is upon us
      All your energy you harness
      To prevent your race
      From disappearing from the planet without a trace.

No time for indecision
      We’ve a mission to fulfill
      Your reward is the thrill…

(That might be a bit muddled. Many cookies to anyone who gets that reference – I may be the only person who’s heard and remembers that, but if anywhere’s likely to turn up another such unfortunate, it’s here :)

8. subedii says:

I read the PCGA article.

I can’t say I understand any better just what the heck they’re supposed to have achieved for the industry over the past three years. Or what the heck they’re going to be doing for the next three.

• Jonas.w says:

@subedii

I too read most of it, and must say it was a formidable display of conten to word ratio mastery. Reading people this media trained always reminds of the diplomat arriving to the foundation in Asimovs book, whose reassurances of empirical protection turn out after logical analysis to contain absolutely nothing.

FriendlyFire says:

I wish the PCGA was more than an alliance of DRM bootlickers and companies that don’t know how to help or don’t really give a damn. Securom was a member some time ago!

Looking at the member list, the only game devs are Capcom and Epic (unless you consider WildTangent to be one)… Yeah, the former has only released console ports and the latter’s dear CliffyB seems to have forgotten the company’s roots.

If only we had a *real* PCGA, you know, with members like Valve, id, Stardock, etc. They could even do a PC keynote at E3! They could market PC gaming, since Microsoft’s forgotten about that.

But nah, better to think about how to screw PC gamers instead. That’s mostly what they do right now.

Arathain says:

I agree with the above posters. The only meat in the entire interview was quoted by Jim above, and even that contains no actual policy or action implied. The rest is carefully processed to provide no actual meaning.

9. frenz0rz says:

The “7 ways games reward the brain” lecture is well worth a look. Really made me wonder about the possible real world applications of game mechanics that could exist if there wasnt this huge negative media stigma surrounding it. Learning in schools facilitated and encouraged via MMO style reward mechanics? Genius!

• SHDR says:

Even more fun, imagine everything from lathe work to stenography formulated as games. Spelling bees, Typing of the Dead-style! Circuit design, like one of those Flash games whose names I can never remember! Child psychology facilitated by co-op games.

You can use more than just extrinsic motivators. Think about the high-precision work you do in games. Imagine the inputs being actual tasks, actual work that can’t be fully abstracted into machine work because machines don’t have judgement or human-grade situational awareness, but the task has been abstracted as to become enjoyable rather than soul-destroying. This could apply to anything from data entry to comparing data sets, to sorting garbage on a conveyor belt.

I’m still not sure if making tasks frivolous is the greatest thing games can accomplish, but it’s certainly interesting.

• McCool says:

I can’t help but see these sorts of measures as fit for nothing better than crowd control for teachers. They help the teacher marshall her class, probably help the school climb the league tables, but what function are they providing the child? The more games weave themselves into education (some small degree at younger ages is definately fine), there is a danger the concept of something having intrinsic worth is eroded. Hard work and all that.

Until the real world functions as a MMO, do we want to be teaching our children to cope with hard or dull tasks through game reward systems? I’m not 100% sure this is a fantastic road to be going down. Interaction is a fantastic thing to involve in teaching, but MMO-style carrot and stick?

FriendlyFire says:

@McCool: Well, right now children and teenagers are just not caring about school at all and then they end up getting jobs they don’t like and/or aren’t good at. I’m not sure whether that’s any better than what you’re describing…

• Xercies says:

The thing is thats not true always, if you have a decent teacher that is definitely gone, if you have a good teacher the children will learn. I’ve seen this, the science teachers at my school were great all the people you thought would have failed science didn’t, they got pretty good grades. Same with Maths had one great Maths teacher and it was oversubscribed by funnily enough the people you wouldn’t thought of, again they got good grades. Games can be a good teacher i guess, but achievements are in the danger zone to be honest. Because isn’t what many people say is that if you get rewards for something fun by achievements you actually think its a boring task since humans are used to having sweeties for doing boring tasks.

Its definitely can be used for something positive but its also a dangerous area.

• bob_d says:

“Learning in schools facilitated and encouraged via MMO style reward mechanics?”
      I’d read about someone using those mechanics with great success in a college course they were teaching. (I think I discovered the story through an RPS link last year, but I’m not certain of that…)

10. Lorc says:

That Strongman analysis of mech games confuses me. Their specific comments about how and where those games succeed in evoking mechtacularity (for want of a better word) are largely on the nose. This is by far the most interesting part of the article, and studying the techniques of how games can evoke a thing seems worthwhile to me.

But when the article veers into abstracts I’m lost. I don’t see how his observations and commentary support his conclusions except at the most trivial level.

Bushido Blade cares how large your sword is. Diablo does not. Diablo is not a worse game for it, even though both games could be said to be “about” swords. They’re just about them in different ways. Ways that support their intended play.

If I give Erlend the benefit of the doubt, they’re parodying of academic intellectualism. Otherwise they’re trying too hard.

• SHDR says:

Spot on. Notice the strike-out’d stuff at the bottom where I’m parodying my own quasi-academicness. That said, I believe what I wrote, but I realize that my ideas aren’t fully thought through. I’m writing my way through them, and that’s bound to be a hit-and-miss process.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Edit: I’d like to say that Diablo is not, in fact, about swords. It’s about character progression. It’s as much about mana, bows, fireballs, armor types and killing zombies as it is about swords. But then again, that’s my opinion.

• Lorc says:

In which case that’s rather interesting.

When I said Diablo was about swords I was using “swords” to represent all character progression through loot. Which wasn’t clear at all in what I actually said, so apologies there.

• Cinnamon says:

Saying that MechWarrior is better than Shogo because the robots actually feel something like robots doesn’t sound that controversial to me. I suppose that it could be considered something of a bombshell in the game design community. Especially when it’s wrapped up in academic language rather than the more rough and tumble language of gamers.

Putting Diablo to one side I can’t help thinking about the changes to Dead Rising in the sequel since I’m playing it. I still can’t work out if I like the weapon combination thing compared to the photography thing. On one hand it is sort of fun to find new weapons and use them but they really are ludicrous and push the comic horror violence into the realms of playground fantasy. The photography thing on the other hand was the equivalent way of getting bonus “photography points” and really was just a way of framing the comic horror violence. Why are they still called photography points if you are just doing something like slicing a zombie in two with a homemade light saber and not taking photos? They should just be called nerdy gratuitous violence points instead.

And here’s an alternate “what I’ve been listening to”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aFqv69Xm8Y

• PleasingFungus says:

I think your criticism of Shogo was missing the point. MechWarrior and Steel Battalion are, as you put it, giant robot simulators – modeling something that could actually exist in the real world. (With maybe a little bit of sci-fi mixed in, especially for MechWarrior).

That’s not what Shogo was doing, though. Shogo was an anime robot simulator – trying to make you feel like you were piloting a “Real Robot”*. They were trying to make you feel like you were piloting something ‘ripped from the animes’ – and the robots that inspired them (Wikipedia cites a few in its first paragraph!) basically do feel like people with a higher viewpoint and larger scale. If that’s what piloting a robot in Shogo felt like, the game was successful, and the only problem is with your expectations.

I personally am not a fan of Japanese robot conventions (I like my robots stompy!), but to criticize Shogo for following them is to do the game a disservice.

*It’s a misleading term, because it doesn’t mean that the robots are realistic at all – just that they’re more realistic than something like the Power Rangers. Which… is not a very high bar.

• Cinnamon says:

Mechwarrior and Steel Battalion are also based on amine robots. FASA had legal problems because they modelled their original mechs too closely on designs from Japanese shows.

If you look at mechs in anime then have some common ways of being presented. First off it’s normally very important to have shots of the pilot inside the mech and the struggles they are going through. The mech is often human shaped but it is not just an avatar of the pilot. Mechs seldom “float” around the environment. Sometimes they fly and are very agile but they wreck the environment as they go and you almost never have shots of them looking down the barrel of a gun.

The fact is that Shogo might have made more of an effort to take on the style of classic mecha anime but Mechwarrior and Steel Battalion made more effort to translate the experience of piloting a mech to a computer game.

• Gassalasca says:

Uhm, hate to be a pedant here, but aren’t things that are piloted by definition not robots? Mechs are just giant, humanoid vehicles. No more robots than tanks or fighter planes are.

• Cinnamon says:

Yeah, Mech comes from the Japanese slang word mecha which is an abbreviation of mechanism and can be applied to more than humanoid tank type things. Stompy robot is a technically inaccurate description but it gets the point across. HG Wells was one of the first people to fictionalise them and called them fighting machines in war of the worlds but that name hasn’t stuck despite being older than the term robot.

Andy_Panthro says:

Interesting article about nVidia’s 3D vision…

I actually got this last year, and I have to say I was underwhelmed.

At first, I played everything in 3D (headaches permitting – although with frequent use you do get used to it). However, lately I just don’t see the point. The experience isn’t that great a boost, and there are various immersion issues with it.

For example, in King’s Bounty it wouldn’t render the water in 3D, in Fallout 3 the 2D HUD was in the wrong place (it feels too close, and the crosshairs are no good, although I think there are some work-arounds for that sort of thing).

Batman: AA was one of the best games I’ve seen that used it, which is to be expected I suppose since I received the game free when I bought 3D vision. However even then it can feel more distracting than useful.

It’s now sitting in the box, and I feel the money was wasted.

• subedii says:

I felt that article was just one giant PR piece.

There’s precisely one reason that Nvidia are pushing 3D, and it’s not because “It’s the future”, it’s because they can double system requirements with it.

This generation hasn’t been great for graphics card manufacturers in general specifically because there’s been no reason to upgrade. No games have really been coming out that push hardware since Crysis, and since then most games have had lower system requirements than it. The only reason Nvidia has been pushing so hard for 3D all these years is because you’re rendering twice and magically your framerate takes a nosedive. Guess it’s time for some new hardware eh?

Who knows, maybe Crytek’s mystery software solution will solve all these problems, but right now? If I wanted 3D, I’d sooner pick up a 3DS. At least that’s achieved without glasses.

• Xercies says:

Yeah PhysX and 3D are the last cries of a graphics company, because basically the games aren’t getting more and more awesome in graphics which means people are sticking with there old ones. I like it, because well it used to be horrible before.

Oh yeah 3D is a fad, its already basically slowly dying in the cinema because well people are just not taking it in anymore. I don’t see how 3D TV and 3D gaming can benefit at all, in fact 3d gaming would be worse for gaming I feel.

• Zenicetus says:

“This generation hasn’t been great for graphics card manufacturers in general specifically because there’s been no reason to upgrade. No games have really been coming out that push hardware since Crysis, and since then most games have had lower system requirements than it.”

There is still the exception of flight sims. It’s a niche market, but several of the more hardcore sims continue to push the hardware requirements for both graphics and CPU.

The X-Plane civilian sim is intentionally designed so you can’t run it with all the effects turned on with current-generation PC’s, to allow for future hardware growth. There’s a new version coming soon (ver. 10) with a new weather system and ATC that will push things further. I don’t know what the system requirements will be for Oleg’s new Battle of Britain sim, but I bet they’ll be steep for running at full settings.

Anyway, the larger point is true about the current plateau for other PC games, due to the dominance of consoles. A few multi-platform games turn on more lighting and texture effects for PC games, but the areas that really need to be improved — things like facial expressions and overcoming the Uncanny Valley — are going to require more power.

12. sockpuppetclock says:

Oh god, someone actually enjoys William Basinski!! I love you so much now! 1.1 is the best

13. Jim Rossignol says:

Agreed. There’s a huge number of people (like me and John) who have trouble seeing full 3D in the first place, whatever the technology.

14. bill says:

- Was Oregon Trail ever big in the UK? I keep hearing about it on the web, but i never encountered it in the UK, and only started hearing about it on the web over the last 5 years. We played Elite, Repton, Chuckie Egg etc.. BBC Micro effect?

- Finally forced to install Unity for Sarah’s Run. Awesome game btw.

- Some people think the gloss has already worn off 3D movies. I’m not sure I think they’ll be big on PC.
    But I guess the “one user only, sat close to the screen” effect means it makes more sense than 3d tv.
    Tried one in a shop though and was unimpressed.

- Saw that BBC article yesterday and thought, as usual, that their figures were total crap. At least the BBC mentioned that, if only in passing at the bottom.

• Vinraith says:

Oregon Trail wasa staple of school classrooms (elementary and secondary) during the late 80′s and early 90′s in the US. The result is that among my generation there’s an enormous amount of nostalgic reminiscence about it, because it’s something that most people that went through the US system and are of a certain age played, whether they were gamers or not.

Arathain says:

I played Oregon Trail growing up. It was one of those things that seemed just to be on school computers. It does stick in your memory, though, doesn’t it?

Quote from my wife: “There aren’t many games in which you can die of dysentery, or leave the gravestones of your classmates scattered across the American West.”

• Jake says:

The first games I played were on an Acorn (Granny’s Garden – what a game) and then an antique Mac – Oregon Trail, Spectre, Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? and eventually, thankfully, Marathon, Sim City and Civ. (This was back in the days when there were good games on Macs, how crazy is it that Marathon was a Mac exclusive?).

Anyway I was so happy to get my first Amiga and even played the hell out of Captain bloody Planet which it came with, but hunting squirrels on the Oregon Trail was my Doom.

For some reason my primary school had Virus (the ’88 game). Quite cool actually.

I realise this is a bit off topic but I started to reminisce.

• balooba says:

UK readers out there: does anyone remember a viking invasion game equivalent of Oregon Trail? I remember it vividly from Year 3, around 1991, aged 7. I assume it was on the BBC. It was around the time of ‘Through the Dragon’s Eye’, another BBC ‘school’ game I remember fondly.

You essentially had to fill your longships with a chosen configuration of men, horses, supplies etc and head out to raid the east coast of britain. Winds, weather etc would effect how long the journey took, where you landed, and how many ships you lose coming over.

Any ideas what it was called? Anyone else play it as a kid?

Lambchops says:

Everyone knows the best educational game was Zoombinis anyway.

• terry says:

@balooba I think that was Viking Quest for the AppleII. Could be wrong though.

Edit: The Beeb seems to have posted a flash remake here – http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/vikings/launch_gms_viking_quest.shtml

• Thants says:

Those were the days. Marathon 2 and Infinity are still the best FPS games Bungie has made.

• balooba says:

Thanks Terry.
      The BBC remake seems very close to what I remember. Apple II makes sense- my teacher must have brought it in from home for us, cos there’s no way our school had an Apple in those days!

• bill says:

I still have the impression that this was only big in the US.

I remember Virus though… and a whole head of other BBC micro and Amstrad/Amiga games. But not Oregon Trail.

15. Xercies says:

The PCGA is just terrible, it has companies that don’t care about the PC in the form of Epic and Microsoft and companies that were the reason for the decline like Nvidia. To be honest the PC is getting better for basically companies not in the aliience like Valve and the indie companies.

TED talks are amazing and I don’t watch them enough I don’t think, always insightful and good information to chew on.

3D is and has always been a fad and its going to blow up in all these companies faces sooner or later, its already being seen in decline with many big 3D movies just not getting the money they wanted (like Megamind etc.) and the novelty has worn off so why would people buy the expensive 3D TVs when they’ve only really just bought the new HD TVs.

Oh well were being forced to use it in our animation lessons.

• bill says:

I think I might start my own PC Gaming Horde ™ to defend and promote PC gaming.
      If they’re ok with paying 30k(!!!) each to go to a couple of meetings a year then I’m perfectly happy to help them out.

16. Polysynchronicity says:

I’m still waiting for the forward-, backward-, left- and rightbeats to do with our upbeats and downbeats

17. bob_d says:

That article managed to convince me that 3D isn’t the future of PC gaming… at least for me. It sounds like a huge pain in the arse with little reward right now – assuming I won’t be made nauseous and can even see the 3D effect. I’ve read that about 25% of the audience have those problems with 3D, and since I’ve managed to avoid the recent 3D craze, I have no idea if I’m in that group. Some studies have suggested 15 minute breaks for every hour of 3D television to avoid eyestrain, which seems like a bit of a problem for gaming.

18. DXN says:

That Strongman article about presentation vs. subject matter is really interesting. I think that’s part of why I get so frustrated with space sims: they so rarely approach the feel of guiding a hurtling tin-can through the vacuum and radiation of space. I also think it’s part of what makes BFBC2 so successful: it captures the feel of being surrounded by shouty men with dangerous machines who are trying to kill each other.

19. steggieav says:

Enjoyed the interview with thecatamites (interesting name). He seemed surprisingly… lucid. Also, Space Funeral is awesome. I’ll have to check out his other games.

20. sinister agent says:

The various arguments about the issue it’s discussing aside, that BBC piece is pretty poor, frankly. I see almost no research and find it difficult to imagine a person who would ever find it that wouldn’t already know everything it says, and probably a lot more. Also poor editing.

21. Zenicetus says:

I can see a limited appeal for viewing “3D in a box” (i.e. the current version using a monitor screen) for things like strategy games. It might be fun to see my little Total War or Civ army dudes running around inside my monitor.

For anything else though…. FPS, RPG, flight sims…. it won’t be 3D for me until nVidia starts selling affordable, high-res VR goggles that exclude everything else in my immediate surroundings. I want to be inside a 3D virtual world for playing those types of games, not just staring at a little 3D window fixed in front of me. We’ve been promised those VR headsets now for what… 30 years? Where are they? Harrrumph!

22. Urthman says:

One of the commenters in the Unity article really nailed it.

Whenever I stumble across a game that needs a Unity plug-in, I almost always get a blank screen with nothing to entice me beyond a demand that I download a who-knows-how-dodgy-buggy-insecure plugin. LIke this:

Now if that webpage had some screenshots or a video or something showing me what I could be playing if I clicked on the install link, I think I’d be much more likely to click. As it is, I see the black screen, shrug my shoulders (“oh well, it’s another one of those”), and close the browser tab.

23. Robert Yang says:

Can you really fault a man for loving the ellipsis?

… NO YOU CANNOT

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

Maybe you missed that gigantic comment thread on grammar a few days back…

tomeoftom says:

Many feel the Irresponsible and Sudden Urge to Place an Ellipsis…

• bob_d says:

The ellipsis is… necessary… for… Shatnerian… effect.

24. DrazharLn says:

Still no comments on the music links? Perhaps that says something about them. Neither of them really did anything for me.

• Lilliput King says:

There were some. Here’s another:

Pretty okay, 6/10.

kregg says:

I want to play Octodad in 3D.

26. malkav11 says:

I love 3D in movies, if mostly in movies that are primarily computer generated. I think it adds substantially to the experience, and I think Roger Ebert is an old fuddy-duddy for claiming otherwise. That said, I am not eager to import it into my home, because the cost of entry is far too high at the moment and it’s not sufficiently well adopted by consumers or supported by home movie and/or gaming releases to really get very much out of that steep investment.

I do think it has the potential to be very cool on the 3DS, though, where it won’t require any addons or accessories and where the game developers can guarantee that every consumer will have the 3D capability.

27. Xercies says:

To me it doesn’t at all add to the experience, I’ve watched both Up and Avatar in 3D and 2D and really there was no difference to my enjoyment to the movie or the emotions I felt between the two.